As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Overwatch] Overwatch 2 is Live!

1545557596090

Posts

  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    My guess is it's just in reference to whatever the events of the new short are.

    Would love for it to be something more than that, but not gonna get my hopes up.

    BionicPenguinBloodySloth
  • KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    This is the second time they're teasing this catch phrase, nobody seems to know what it means. Could just be a thing Junker Queen says but they already announced her.

    My bets on what gets announced tomorrow:

    - Fox themed support hero
    - New maps with the long hinted new game mode
    - PvE updates
    - Battlepass

    What? It's referring to the final round of the Thunderdome-type thing that Junker Queen is in in the teaser trailer. There's probably more context to it, but the teaser trailer seems to answer this more or less definitively. It is indeed a Junker Queen thing.

    With that being the theme of the announcement and her making it into the next beta, I suspect a lot of tomorrow will be oriented around Junker Queen. Maybe some more teaser for the new support but I'm skeptical they'll go so far as to announce anything, especially when it's only JQ that's going to be playable in two weeks. Agree on all the other stuff though, less certain on the game mode but I think it's definitely possible.

  • KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Also, it sort of blows my mind that the next hero is a tank. With the Doomfist redesign, that gives the role 10 choices for a team that slots in 1 tank. Supports have 7 choices and need to pick 2. DPS have 2.5x as many options for the same # of slots.

    They straight up need to add 2 more consecutive supports after fox girl and even then it'll still be kind of rough.

    Pailryder
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Kasyn wrote: »
    Also, it sort of blows my mind that the next hero is a tank. With the Doomfist redesign, that gives the role 10 choices for a team that slots in 1 tank. Supports have 7 choices and need to pick 2. DPS have 2.5x as many options for the same # of slots.

    They straight up need to add 2 more consecutive supports after fox girl and even then it'll still be kind of rough.

    What if they gave mercy a second gun?

    steam_sig.png
    Pailryder
  • KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »
    Kasyn wrote: »
    Also, it sort of blows my mind that the next hero is a tank. With the Doomfist redesign, that gives the role 10 choices for a team that slots in 1 tank. Supports have 7 choices and need to pick 2. DPS have 2.5x as many options for the same # of slots.

    They straight up need to add 2 more consecutive supports after fox girl and even then it'll still be kind of rough.

    What if they gave mercy a second gun?

    It's actually kind of interesting and weird that she's the only hero in the entire game with a weapon swap. You would think they would have explored that design space in the other roles by now.

  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    .
    Kasyn wrote: »
    McMoogle wrote: »
    Kasyn wrote: »
    Also, it sort of blows my mind that the next hero is a tank. With the Doomfist redesign, that gives the role 10 choices for a team that slots in 1 tank. Supports have 7 choices and need to pick 2. DPS have 2.5x as many options for the same # of slots.

    They straight up need to add 2 more consecutive supports after fox girl and even then it'll still be kind of rough.

    What if they gave mercy a second gun?

    It's actually kind of interesting and weird that she's the only hero in the entire game with a weapon swap. You would think they would have explored that design space in the other roles by now.

    Torbjorn

    ztrEPtD.gif
    BionicPenguinNobodyPailryder
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I mean, Bastion?

    Xbox - Local H Jay
    PS - Local_H_Jay
    Sub me on Youtube
    And Twitch
    BionicPenguin
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    Hmm they briefly touched on everything but not as much detail as I was hoping for. Should have known they could fill 42 minutes with mostly fluff. I'm surprised they didn't hold back anything major for the event. All the actual reveals were presented as basically afterthoughts.

  • KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    I mean, Bastion?

    That's a different form, that's been done.

    Torbjorn yeah I guess?

  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Easier way to learn the information they revealed: https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/23814218/

    Biggest thing is the battle pass is replacing loot boxes, as well as an "all-new in game shop" which I guess is different from the current credits somehow. Probably real money purchases, unclear if credits are remaining. Most likely they'll have stuff like promotional bundles. Charms, Banners and Mythic Skins (highly customizable legendaries) are new cosmetics.

    ttvyYUt.png

    Basically seems like more or less a return to the OW1 post-launch content schedule. Unclear if there will still be holiday events. They did confirm that ongoing PvE content will be part of the seasons.

    Zek on
    TexiKen
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I'm scrubbing through the video and it's way too much informercial in style when I thought they learned what people wanted with that second Sojourn developer video, I just hope Soe's being well compensated for her gig.

    Removing loot boxes, installing battle pass. I don't play a current game with a battle pass so I don't know if we'll still have coins or a normie grinding way to get new skins without paying. They're saying the first battle pass is 3 new heroes, 6 new maps, and 30 skins.

    Junker Queen animatic was good but it's still to kid friendly in not having humans actually get hurt. Game-wise she seems to be female Roadhog with more attack/debuff than self heal. And her aesthetic is ripping off Eustass Kid a dab.

  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    It looks like a standard battle pass, which means a free tier you can level up to get some unlocks and then at any time you can upgrade it to the paid version which has more unlocks. I wonder if the first one will all be new content or if they'll pad it out with legacy cosmetics. I'm also quite curious if there will still be a way to acquire things for free outside the battle pass, like the legacy cosmetics in particular. It would be kind of shitty if existing content became paid-only.

    Zek on
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I read that they're getting rid of lootboxes... and that alone made me sign up for beta. I'll play it for a bit, I've been missing playing an FPS.

  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    I read that they're getting rid of lootboxes... and that alone made me sign up for beta. I'll play it for a bit, I've been missing playing an FPS.

    now u will be missing while playing an fps oh nooo

    obF2Wuw.png
    PailryderBloodySlothBRIAN BLESSEDFencingsaxKoopahTroopahFremNetscape
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Junker Queen looks pretty dope, my own proclivities aside, but none of the shorts are ever going to top The Last Bastion if they involve any kind of Blizzard style dialogue writing lol

  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Junker Queen gameplay trailer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8k0eQ2yjns

    Junker Queen almost looks like a reworked Roadhog.

    TexiKen
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    She's very light on CC for a tank, she only has her reverse boop. It seems like she's really a pure aggro brawler.

  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    AMA is up: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/vicyeq/were_the_team_behind_overwatch_2_which_will_be/

    TLDR:
    • Guild system is a high priority for the future.
    • Existing currencies will be preserved in some form and lootboxes will be auto-opened.
    • Reworks of 2CP maps to a different game mode are not on the table until the "distant future"
    • Symmetra getting a light rework - just number changes on her abilities
    • Battlepass will be progressed by various challenges, but they will not be hero-specific.
    • OW2 seems to be losing the concept of account levels entirely. Portrait frames won't be displayed anymore.

  • hushhush Registered User regular
    no changes to 2cp is a tragedy - im not sure if the format is rotten or if the maps just suck, but those are always the least satisfying matches

    This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

    So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger. -transmet
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    hush wrote: »
    no changes to 2cp is a tragedy - im not sure if the format is rotten or if the maps just suck, but those are always the least satisfying matches

    2CP will be gone when OW2 launches. So you don't have to worry about having those unsatisfying matches anymore.

    hush
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    I'm kinda surprised they're prioritizing the creation of entirely new maps over remaking the ones that already have a full set of assets. I guess they figure brand new maps are better for marketing.

    BionicPenguin
  • KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    They managed to (poorly) dodge the "Where the fuck are the heroes?" question twice in the same AMA. Impressive.

    Not sure I would have expected anything different I guess, not like they can say "mismanagement cost us years of productivity + our monstrous company finally and spectacularly self-immolated".

    I think people that expect that we got even a full year's worth of productive development on OW2 between 2019 and now are just flat out mistaken. It's effectively as if the entire development team got blipped out of existence for a couple of those years and they're showing up with maybe 6 months worth of work to show for it.

    Years down the line, I'm really going to love to hear some firsthand stories of just how much of a shitshow this was behind the scenes.

    Kasyn on
    BloodySlothTexiKenFencingsaxUnlucky
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2022
    the ow2 dev focus was pve and visual/tech stuff at first so

    they were very much "pvp comes later"

    surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah...I feel like the only reason we have the release we do is cause they've held up PvP for so long they can't really afford to do it any longer.

    But we should have been getting multiple heroes per beta.

    I dunno like not trying to take away from folks who are hyped but it really does feel like they only earnestly started working PvP again last year.

    And I feel while new and returning players will be cool, folks who stayed with the game might end up feeling a little burned.

  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Yeah...I feel like the only reason we have the release we do is cause they've held up PvP for so long they can't really afford to do it any longer.

    But we should have been getting multiple heroes per beta.

    I dunno like not trying to take away from folks who are hyped but it really does feel like they only earnestly started working PvP again last year.

    And I feel while new and returning players will be cool, folks who stayed with the game might end up feeling a little burned.

    Way ahead of you on that one. The only thing that got me excited for Overwatch 2 was hearing that the focus was going to be on the PvE/co-op story stuff. Between Michael Chu leaving and every press announcement Blizzard has made, that excitement has thoroughly been squelched.

    And then there's this...

    https://www.gamesradar.com/overwatch-2-will-replace-overwatch-at-launch-blizzard-confirms/

    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    FencingsaxFrem
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    Kasyn wrote: »
    They managed to (poorly) dodge the "Where the fuck are the heroes?" question twice in the same AMA. Impressive.

    Not sure I would have expected anything different I guess, not like they can say "mismanagement cost us years of productivity + our monstrous company finally and spectacularly self-immolated".

    I think people that expect that we got even a full year's worth of productive development on OW2 between 2019 and now are just flat out mistaken. It's effectively as if the entire development team got blipped out of existence for a couple of those years and they're showing up with maybe 6 months worth of work to show for it.

    Years down the line, I'm really going to love to hear some firsthand stories of just how much of a shitshow this was behind the scenes.

    I honestly felt like the answer was plausible. Like yeah of course PvE is a ton of work and it takes resources that would otherwise have gone to heroes. No doubt it's also true that they've been slowed down by attrition, but I wouldn't say that if I were them.

  • KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Zek wrote: »
    Kasyn wrote: »
    They managed to (poorly) dodge the "Where the fuck are the heroes?" question twice in the same AMA. Impressive.

    Not sure I would have expected anything different I guess, not like they can say "mismanagement cost us years of productivity + our monstrous company finally and spectacularly self-immolated".

    I think people that expect that we got even a full year's worth of productive development on OW2 between 2019 and now are just flat out mistaken. It's effectively as if the entire development team got blipped out of existence for a couple of those years and they're showing up with maybe 6 months worth of work to show for it.

    Years down the line, I'm really going to love to hear some firsthand stories of just how much of a shitshow this was behind the scenes.

    I honestly felt like the answer was plausible. Like yeah of course PvE is a ton of work and it takes resources that would otherwise have gone to heroes. No doubt it's also true that they've been slowed down by attrition, but I wouldn't say that if I were them.

    But they don't have anything to show for it on the PvE end either, is the thing. It's not going to be the first thing released and when it is released it won't be complete. There's just no way all of what we're seeing and when we're going to be seeing it adds up to 3 years of work.

    It's more or less goes like...

    "Where are the heroes?"

    "We were working on PvE."

    "Okay cool, so the PvE is coming along nicely?"

    "It will be both delayed and incomplete."

    Kasyn on
    TexiKenReynoldsBloodySloth
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I mean that's because this clearly isn't the culmination of 3 years of work. All the behind-the-scenes stuff we've seen points to a dev process that was basically stuck in a mire spinning its tires for a significant amount of time, that has only just finally come unstuck relatively recently. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the PvE stuff we saw a year+ ago got tossed out because it wasn't actually working at all and they were just running around in circles (not uncommon in AAA game dev) and it wasn't until they made a change in leadership and direction that they've finally figured out what it is they're actually trying to do.

    This is why game companies usually don't like announcing things so far out, because so much can change or just be found out to not be what they thought it was, and people think "well they announced it 3 years ago so obviously everything since then has been building on that original concept" when that's 100% not the case at all a lot of times.

    Fencingsax
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I believe in my heart that they made the full pve experience and it was just dull as rocks, same as all of the pve modes they've done so far, and so they finally decided to stop holding back the part of the game they're actually good at

    But since they already announced it as Overwatch 2 they're stuck with releasing a (admittedly large) gameplay balance patch being billed as a sequel and eventually a pve mode

    2x39jD4.jpg
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    They really should have gone back to the drawing board on the branding. It still confuses people even after the whole thing has been revealed.

    BloodySloth
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    What we saw of the PvE mode included an upgrade tree for every character. Even if those were only subtle shifts in abilities, that's still tacking on a pretty hefty amount of design, code, and art work for rvery character in the roster. I'm not surprised it ate three years' worth of work (and maybe didn't actually turn out well).

    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    In the AMA, someone from Blizzard said creating an upgrade tree was more work than prototyping a new hero.

    Frem
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    IIRC, one of the ex-devs claimed that Kotick would demand the OW dev team work on random projects, then cancel them months later.

    FencingsaxBRIAN BLESSEDFrem
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    I think for a lot of people, the PvE stuff was a stand-in for the lore, development, and story that they wanted so badly. At the very least, it was a much more casual and different way to play the same game that mixed things up and let you fuck around in a low stakes environment, especially for solo players. New heroes and maps were something, but people were slavering for lore, and Random Dude or Random Place with just a random comic or short story explaining it was thin gruel. They didn't need to be abusing developers (more than they already were) like Epic does for Fortnite's ginormous cinematic seasonal stuff constantly, but people definitely wanted more from the story and characters.

    I'm a little skeptical that a skill tree or whatever would be THAT awful to implement, unless there's some real spaghetti code holding things together. It feels like virtually all MOBAs have some form of that, and Overwatch has always seemed waaaay the fuck better put together than most other similar games, especially with the already existing toolkits and whatnot they've released. I also don't really see the point of it existing either though, even just specific to PvE stuff, so *shrug*. Is it really something people were asking for or wanted? Feels like it would just be there to make faux progression and trick people into feeling invested.

    ztrEPtD.gif
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    I'm a little skeptical that a skill tree or whatever would be THAT awful to implement, unless there's some real spaghetti code holding things together. It feels like virtually all MOBAs have some form of that, and Overwatch has always seemed waaaay the fuck better put together than most other similar games, especially with the already existing toolkits and whatnot they've released. I also don't really see the point of it existing either though, even just specific to PvE stuff, so *shrug*. Is it really something people were asking for or wanted? Feels like it would just be there to make faux progression and trick people into feeling invested.

    Implementing like a dozen more abilities per character which have potential interactions with every other ability in the game and balancing them all (even against PvE challenges) seems like a colossal amount of work.

  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Frem wrote: »
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    I'm a little skeptical that a skill tree or whatever would be THAT awful to implement, unless there's some real spaghetti code holding things together. It feels like virtually all MOBAs have some form of that, and Overwatch has always seemed waaaay the fuck better put together than most other similar games, especially with the already existing toolkits and whatnot they've released. I also don't really see the point of it existing either though, even just specific to PvE stuff, so *shrug*. Is it really something people were asking for or wanted? Feels like it would just be there to make faux progression and trick people into feeling invested.

    Implementing like a dozen more abilities per character which have potential interactions with every other ability in the game and balancing them all (even against PvE challenges) seems like a colossal amount of work.

    The examples that they showed for the skill tree were all things like "does 1% extra damage per bullet hit until reload" or or "ult damage +15%" or "range and traversal speed of this skill +15%", not entirely new skills or things with unique interactions, let alone new ones. The talents were somewhat more involved, with some of them being big changes (eg Mei's rolling ice ball thing) but most were still just things like "automatically reload when using an ability" or "cooldowns reduced on eliminations."

    ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Because of signing up for the beta I got a Blizzard e-mail saying "hey buddy, why don't you buy the $40 super edition to get guaranteed OW2 beta access on Tuesday, huh pal?" But I did learn if you just log in to the game now you'll get a free Doomfist and Sombra skin. Sombra's is a Jester (meh, not Harley Quinn classy like), Doom's is a commando and it's pretty cool, if he had a cigar I'd pretend he's Carl Weathers.

    RQ0b5Xd.jpg

    Pailryder
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    brig skin for doing twitch stuff, roughly 15 buckeroos

  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Am I wrong in thinking this is one of their more skeevy things? If it was "donate 15 bucks to a list of pre-selected charities and show us the donation receipt" like pet shelters of the Center For Kids Who Can't Read Good, I'd do it immediately, I'd even pay for 10 others here to get the codes. But it being pre-selected twitch people, many of whom are already making this their living or side hustle and don't need subscribers to begin with (Soe and Reinforce), come on, this reeks of old Blizzard thinking.

    BloodySlothTalithKoopahTroopahhushPhoenix-DBRIAN BLESSED
Sign In or Register to comment.