As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] Overwatch 2 is Live!

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    -Hollywood and Gibraltar were removed from the map pool, yes, they are keeping map pool because fuck you

Just played played Rialto and was super excited to get it back, and then I see this…

Why doesn’t Blizzard let us have nice things? Hollywood and Gibraltar are two of the maps I always enjoyed on payload.

What’s season 3 going to be, no KOTH so they can add more push maps?

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Kasyn wrote: »
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Neat. Another fun fuck you from Blizzard is that the highest rank reached rewards are bugged.

Cool. Super duper cool.

E:
    LOL And they're not even pretending to do placements. They just knocked 1000+ SR off everybody. People are reporting having been dropped from Masters to Gold.

I've heard that somebody claims it was announced ahead of time that rank rewards would be based on ending rank and not peak, which is how it's been for T500. I haven't seen that anywhere so I'm skeptical, but if so, then technically this was intended?

Which is even more fucking stupid, because you couple that with the new hidden SR and it means you could be at one rank, be beneath it based on some games you've played but unable to tell because you're in between 7-win breakpoints. Lots of people in that situation from what I'm seeing today.

Monstrously idiotic if that was intentional, merely ridiculously dumb if it were all an accident. A poorly communicated ranked system that disincentivizes you from playing it and threatens to arbitrarily wipe away your progress without any clear indication on how it's about to do so.

I played two games past my high in s1 and ended up being credited a full 2 ranks beneath it, then dropped an extra 6 ranks in the new season adjustment. What a joke.

It's also shitty because A.) They didn't change the end-of-season screen so it congratulates you for your season high, your current rank, not your actual season high, and B.) When you first open competitive, as you'll probably do right after seeing that, the infographic tells you that you'll be rewarded individually for each role, which is blatantly false.

Also, what the fuck is this Shambali map? It is so fucking huge and the entire thing is one long uphill climb. You know that crazy hairpin turn for the middle segment of Circuit Royale? The entire map is like that.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Neat. Another fun fuck you from Blizzard is that the highest rank reached rewards are bugged.

Cool. Super duper cool.

E:
    LOL And they're not even pretending to do placements. They just knocked 1000+ SR off everybody. People are reporting having been dropped from Masters to Gold.

Again? They did that after season.. 4 or 5 of OW 1, and that is what kinda put me off from playing nearly as much and move on.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    I haven't seen much discussion about it, but Ramattra's long range DPS is actually very high. It's basically Orisa without any falloff. He has no particular reason to want to get closer to enemies, his ranged DPS is higher than melee. I think a lot of players are mistakenly endangering themselves to force a Nemesis fight but you can just save it until the situation actually calls for it.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I don't know, I just played my first game with Ramattra, got the win, POTG, and Cute Spray. I might love this omnic.

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    I don't know, I just played my first game with Ramattra, got the win, POTG, and Cute Spray. I might love this omnic.

I had a wicked Dorado attack yesterday with a Ram tanking for us.

And I'll say this for the big fella - he's an excellent target for Pulse Bombs.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Dev explains the new season comp rankings:

s6osgfn0qnge.jpeg

• Options
    Yeah, see. Here's the thing. Your message when you start playing comp says something completely different. And if this 'rank' means literally nothing, then why the fuck are you taking it away from people? Don't say that this represents your rank, but also, it means absolutely nothing and we completely ignore it for matchmaking. That's idiotic.

And I played basically only flex. That worked out to about 80% support, 19.5% tank, .5% DPS. Every single adjustment I got as tank was upward. Never once did I stabilize at the same rank, let alone drop. My SR never reached my 'true skill level.' So if I continue that way, with you arbitrarily hacking off 1,000 SR every two months, I will inevitably be pushed to the lowest rank. I am 100% certain my DPS SR is there already. Ask yourselves why absolutely nobody else in the goddamned world uses this system, guys.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    somehow i ended back up in gold for healing, still silver in dps but i stopped playing dps in comp. maybe i need to just sit in queues and try tanking

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Look, they can fix matchmaking, which they broke, or they can make a bunch of mid tier skins and charge 10-20 bucks for them. They can’t do both, they’re a small indie company. Welcome to Costco, I love you.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Blizzard is doing a really good job of convincing me to just not play anymore. That statement contains like five basic absolute fuck ups. It would be unbelievable that such a big company would so utterly fuck up if Blizzard hadn't spent the last few months demonstrating how ridiculously bad they are at things. I'm very shocked at how they've managed to completely sour me on this in such a quick time. I was ready to Season Pass up at the beginning of last season but the utter clusterfuck stopped me. I was thinking of doing it this season but fuck that now.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    I came in here to admit that Ramadamatra isn't OP and that he and Junkerqueen are prime examples of gameplay feature bloat, and that maybe, y'know, I could cut the struggling indie darling Blizz more slack. They're kind of bad at gaining goodwill, reading about this new ranked stuff.

There's actual people going down 3+ tiers between seasons AGAIN. What a nightmare for the actual people in Gold.

I am glad I mentally gave up on ranked last season. This is what you get when the ranking system is obfuscated by like four layers.

Just go play ranked, but turn your brain off with regards to whatever 'ranked' means, and try your best and have fun. Anything else is madness.

My solution has always been raw anarchy:

Show Everyone's MMR in Quickplay.

Show Everyone's MMR and SR in Ranked.

Just go ahead, be bold, show the numbers.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options

B-b-but I don't want to know what my MMR is. I just wanna play QP and have fun and when I get diff'd I get diff'd.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I'm generally pretty upbeat about this game, but I hate the way they do competitive. I don't give a shit about grinding my way up to my proper rank. Start me as close to it as you can and let me go up or down based on my performance. This just makes me no want to play competitive.

Unrelated, but the new mythic skin doesn't look any better than a legendary. At least Genji had the face mask open up. Once I get Ramattra's Poseidon skin, I'm probably good on the battle pass.

In better news, Ramattra's pretty cool. His ult isn't nearly as busted as it sounds and you have to be super careful when you use it because everyone's going to want you dead. Every Ramattra I've seen has overextended when they had their ult going. It seems like the best thing you can do with it active is block unless you're above 75% health. Just let the ult do that constant damage.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    The 'huge visible decay but no changes under the hood' is something they've done in Hearthstone for years. It never really made sense there either to be honest.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Big fan of juicy Doomfist. He's revealing many facets of the unfun that is playing supports currently.

Unless you rock Brig, then it's a fun time versus punch man.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    lol there's plenty of things I've hated about nu-Bastion but his ult was never one of them. I think I can count the number of times I've been killed by it on one hand as Zen

• Options
    The Ram ult sounded busted when it included the 50% damage reduction on affected enemies. Now it's... it's mostly just a longer-lasting Nemesis form with a light AoE to it.

You can use Nemesis form (lasts 8 seconds, I think), then immediately pop ult to go back into Nemesis form for perhaps longer than 8 seconds, and once your ult ends - if 8 seconds have passed - you can pop Nemesis again for like 25+ straight seconds of punchy goodness.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    yeah I dropped 3 ranks for the new season and it pretty much just makes me not wanna play

I'm the biggest OW fanboy you'll find and even I find this pretty goddamn stupid

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Chance wrote: »

B-b-but I don't want to know what my MMR is. I just wanna play QP and have fun and when I get diff'd I get diff'd.

I've been coming around to how DBD does it. 'Rank' is basically just a measure of how much you played for a month, with gradiated rewards, and everybody is reset to the bottom each month. Your MMR/SR is completely hidden and visible to nobody, not even yourself. You'd still have the QP ruleset where you can drop in and out of games whenever and without penalty, group with whoever, not have to play both attack and defense, etc, and the Comp ruleset where ditching your team or deciding you want to meme around isn't allowed, you have to play both attack and defense, etc.

Buuuut trying to take away the status symbols they've given people already would be... fraught. Also, DBD's internals/matchmaking are an absolute fiasco clownshow of nonsense, so I'm assuming Blizzard's internal MMR is at least slightly more accurate and less of an absolute shitshow, which... may or may not be the case from what I've seen, but DBD's are so bad that they almost certainly are better.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    I just had a game that had me screeching "damage boosted Junkrat!" like at least a half dozen times. We won, he got PotG and I was in it ohhh the shame...

Tracer needs an HP buff. I will accept no feedback.

• Options
    edited December 2022

Yeah, I don’t play comp, too toxic for my blood at the level I play at (low). I’d rather stick to QP and not know everyone’s rank so we can just play and pretend we aren’t as terrible as we are.
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Look, they can fix matchmaking, which they broke, or they can make a bunch of mid tier skins and charge 10-20 bucks for them. They can’t do both, they’re a small indie company. Welcome to Costco, I love you.

Please let them fix matchmaking soon. I just want to tank in QP role queue in peace without a 5 minute wait between matches.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    I think the concept of separate SR and MMR has always been way more headache than it's worth. Just map the ranks and tiers directly to MMR. There's no point in playing these psychological progression games with everyone, when you know they're all going to get hard stuck in a week or two anyway.

• Options
    LostNinja wrote: »

Yeah, I don’t play comp, too toxic for my blood at the level I play at (low). I’d rather stick to QP and not know everyone’s rank so we can just play and pretend we aren’t as terrible as we are.

Same. I'm average. I'm... frankly really impressed by that, and I don't want to climb to the upper heights of ultra-sweaty players so maybe I can say "GM5!" to the very small percentage of people out there who understand the acronym.

I wanna' play my little dumb gold Tracer against other dumb gold players and enjoy myself. That's all I want - a robust enough player base that I'm not thrown in against diamond maniacs wielding mice and keyboards on consoles. I wanna' play against people as good as me, so we can all kinda' suck together and have fun.

• Options
    I wish PC players realized how fucked SR and MMR gets on consoles. On the low end you have Switch losers who ruin games, and those on Switch decent enough to move up are still a rank or two below respective people on Xbox/PS and bring those games down hard. And then if you're good on console you get moved up to where the KBAM shiteaters live who exploit every broken character (which is multiplied on console), because they want to be big fish in a small pond. Just having a nice area where it's controllers playing controllers, that's all I want, it's all I've ever wanted.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    I just had a game that had me screeching "damage boosted Junkrat!" like at least a half dozen times. We won, he got PotG and I was in it ohhh the shame...

What about 2 HP buffs?

McMoogle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    McMoogle wrote: »

What about 2 HP buffs?

If the first one is +25HP and the second one is +25 HP and I can no longer be one-tapped by body shots from a damage-boosted Pharah or Junkrat, I'm all for it.

As an alternative, we could just go ahead and get rid of Damage Boost and Discord. I play a lot of Mercy and a lot of Zen and I'm comfy with this. Nano can stay - it's an ult.

Being insta-deleted by someone who didn't have to land a headshot or spend an ult just never feels good.

• Options
    Tracer's already looking to be meta.

Ideal ladder team comp seems to be
    Roadhog/Doom
    Sojourn
    Tracer/Widow/Counterpick (Torb for Tracer, Ashe for Pharah, etc.)
    Kiriko
    Lucio/Pocket Mercy/Zen if the other team is on Hog.

• Options
    Hog benefits so much from the healing in 5v5 he has to lose something, hook length or heals. You kill his support he'll just keep chugging because of breather, and Ana is gimped because Kiriko removes he utility. Just making him remain stationary for healing would help. Plus I hate that his ult is transformative instead of in OW1 because there's nothing you can really do with all the DPS/Support CC that was removed to counter him. I really do miss the CC of McCree, Mei, and Bridget because in 5v5 it's much more necessary compared to 6v6.

• Options
    edited December 2022
    It is weird that Sombra can hack Moira out of her ult and no one else.

...is there one I'm missing? Time was it was Moira and Hog, I think...

Ed: Pharah. ...I think? McCree?

Chance on
  • Options
    It breaks any channeled ult; Moira, Pharah, Reaper, Cassidy. I believe it also stops Bap window if your ult hits it, not sure if it can stop Mei ult. Doesn't stop transformations; Winston, Mercy, Roadhog, Genji. Not sure if Bastion is channeling or transformation.

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Sombra is the only DPS with an interrupt ability now, and Ana the only Support. A bunch of tanks can do it.

Edit: Oh you meant the interruptable ult. Yeah it's just the ones that don't count as transformations.

Zek on
  • Options
    i feel like brig should count as an interrupt even if it doesn't stun, if only because you have to be right next to them to pull it off.

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Pailryder wrote: »
    i feel like brig should count as an interrupt even if it doesn't stun, if only because you have to be right next to them to pull it off.

It pains me to say anything kind about Brig but you're right. Knock 30% off shield bash's damage and let her stop a high noon if she's right there.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    It's 100% an interrupt for one character - She still stuns/cancels a charging rein, which actually confused me the first few times. It knocks her the fuck out too, but hey.

yeah I dropped 3 ranks for the new season and it pretty much just makes me not wanna play

I'm the biggest OW fanboy you'll find and even I find this pretty goddamn stupid

But your MMR/SR/SecretSauce still works, allegedly, and thus you're frolicking 3 ranks down with other people of your skill level who were also apparently destined for Ranked purgatory dice-roll Season 2, maybe?

It seems like Blizzard has ZERO way to show character 'progression'. There's no credits to save up in a reasonal timeline to buy skins and no experience bars to fill for your player portrait to be a cooler, shinier metal frame with more stars.

There's no feeling of accrued and growing of anything for the player. And with no social element because they killed that too...

It looks like they're throwing people down a few flights of stairs to make the seasonal ranked grind the entire motivational hamster wheel.

You earned a cool rank? Ok cool. Now go tryhard for it again. Every couple months. Goodluck.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    The competitive stuff is a grotesquely anti-player system. No discernible redeeming qualities and the downsides are obvious, substantial, and clearly being widely felt.

Between that, another season of Sojourn dominance and plenty of other crap, Blizzard is trying mighty hard to make this game as unlikable as possible.

• Options
    edited December 2022
    QP still fun. Arcade still fun. Ranked is a conceptual mess, but still fun.

If you lobotomize yourself to everything Blizzard is and everything they do outside of the literal match you are playing then Overwatch 2 is very good.

If I was 87, blissful in my roaring senility, and sundowning by late afternoon every day? Overwatch 2 would be a fantastic accompaniment to my pudding and bran muffin.

Watching the Game Awards right now and recalling that Overwatch was a 2016 GOTY contender. Wild what half a decade does to you.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    Yeah QP is where it's at.

• Options
    Brig stops Rein and Doom charges. she doesn't stop a genji dash (that i've seen), or interrupt most anything else. the damage is just not worth getting closer to someone that can drop bombs on my head. As a movement its not the worst (having nothing is the worst) but its not great, let me aim up and do like a slight upward jump/bash!

• Options
    Pailryder wrote: »
    Brig stops Rein and Doom charges. she doesn't stop a genji dash (that i've seen), or interrupt most anything else. the damage is just not worth getting closer to someone that can drop bombs on my head. As a movement its not the worst (having nothing is the worst) but its not great, let me aim up and do like a slight upward jump/bash!

In pre-release, Tracer could jump-blink vertically...