As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] Overwatch 2 is Live!

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    12v12 open q no tanks fox only final destination the dream

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Bastion and Lucio only queue

Guaranteed fast queue times

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    for real it is a shame that ow has no equivalent of the endless tf2 community servers or cs ones

i like running around and shooting stuff but 5v5 is too small and focused to just drop in and vibe

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    There have been rumors about a clan/guild system, but as of yet unsubstantiated. I don't think the game would be especially fun in big TF2 style servers, but they definitely need to improve the ability to quickly hop into games with other people from a large online community.

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    I don't understand all the yearning for pre-role queue, or even pre-hero limit. Double Lucio/Tracer/Winston was fucking unbearable, and role queue was a blessing.

I can definitely understand if people feel a bit of a rugpull from 1 to 2 though. The way it's being done is more than a little unseemly, though I do really believe that 5v5 is better for the game in many aspects. They made some pretty sharp adjustments in the two beta patches and I have some confidence they'll be able to bring the rest of the cast around to feeling good in the updated environment. (Though there will probably always be problem children like Sym, Junk, and others.)

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Pre role queue was like “enjoy 4 Bastions and 2 Mercys greeting you outside the diner on Route 66” so gonna say I don’t miss it at all.

OW2 I’m kinda waiting to see what the PVE looks like, I didn’t play in the PVP beta but I wasn’t entirely on board with what I saw.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Yeah role queue/role lock saved the game, despite the hit that queue times took

If the game still had open queue I would have quit a long time ago

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    clearly with mayhem mode they can do lots of things when a mode is picked. having lower health/speed whatever should be doable (hate the word easy but it should be straightforward at least). the weapon/character redesigns might be a bit much but then again, maybe not because they do weird things like the mei yeti/snowball stuff

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    These days my main beef with role queue, besides the queue times and it just reinforcing the nonsense meaningless roles (Mei is not and never will be "damage" she is utility/support) is that it caused such a huge drop in tank quality. I cannot find tanks anymore in silver that seem to know anything about this video game, and I know it wasn't that bad before role queue

The problem with open queue is nobody takes it seriously anymore. If you can get a game at all. I barely try anymore.

I sound crankier than I am. I guess I am just disappointed. I get nostalgia is a hell of a drug, but it definitely feels like these are dark days for online fps games if you are not good enough for BR. And I am definitely not.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I loved the OW2 beta, 1 tank, 5v5 and more sustain for support feels so much more dynamic and able to make plays, have an impact.

Enough to get back into OW1 again and oh wait this doesn't feel good at all

Tumin on
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    Tumin wrote: »
    I loved the OW2 beta, 1 tank, 5v5 and more sustain for support feels so much more dynamic and able to make plays, have an impact.

Enough to get back into OW1 again and oh wait this doesn't feel good at all

Could you expand on this a bit? I'm interested in what doesn't feel good in OW1 to you, compared to OW2. Are you specifically saying that Support characters are able to make more dynamic and impactful plays with 5V5?

These days my main beef with role queue, besides the queue times and it just reinforcing the nonsense meaningless roles (Mei is not and never will be "damage" she is utility/support) is that it caused such a huge drop in tank quality. I cannot find tanks anymore in silver that seem to know anything about this video game, and I know it wasn't that bad before role queue

The problem with open queue is nobody takes it seriously anymore. If you can get a game at all. I barely try anymore.

I sound crankier than I am. I guess I am just disappointed. I get nostalgia is a hell of a drug, but it definitely feels like these are dark days for online fps games if you are not good enough for BR. And I am definitely not.

I've largely given up on tanking in Ranked. I always hovered in the Plat regions, and had ambitions to climb higher, but it felt like I had to always have mic in, be as a positive as possible (which often involved defusing a toxic team member), and have a go-go-go leadership drive to see high success. But it was just far too draining, and I'd rather quietly sweat as a low Diamond support, and hope my tanks know what they're doing. Like the line between the game being a lot of fun and work, is more than a hardcore/casual divide; it felt like I was putting in far more than I was getting out, and QP tanking has always felt far more fun.

Like I legit never have a bad time tanking in QP. My win rates are usually 55%, everyone is pretty chill, tryhards get called out because it's fucking quickplay, and everyone is kind of vibing in a way the ranked system doesn't really allow for?

But I disagree that the roles were nonsense, overall. Maybe Mei should have been turned into a tank given her OW1 design sensibilities, but the tanks in the game as of now have larger hitboxes and created space, and have a pretty defined role. Can you name anyone asides from Mei that blurs the line between roles for you? I think if Blizzard had been aggressive with keeping the 6v6 system with sustainable queues, maybe they could have lifted Doom, Mei, Tjorb, and some others into the tank queue. Though I defer to surreality's higher skill opinion on tanks and their design issues.

Also, do you really think that tank quality has dropped overall in a dramatic fashion since role queue became a thing? Tanks have always seemed all over the place, and it might be more of an 'Overwatch is 6 years old' thing? My one consolation is that DPS who are impatient with their queue often go tank, and play fairly aggressive as they search for kills. I can usually spot an aggro tank, and will switch to accommodate their style if I'm co-tanking, or just go Moira to absolutely douse them in my juice. Having even a single tank that's hungry to push forward, and remains aware of the objective, seems to really improve the game flow.

If you're looking for a ranked or qp co-tank shoot me a message. Heck, there's probably the makings of a fairly decent 6 stack or two that frequent this thread, if anyone is interested in futzing around in QP with me.

I'm happy to nearly have my gold border, and vibing in QP as Zarya and Moira until the 6v6 gets knocked out.

Zek wrote: »
    There have been rumors about a clan/guild system, but as of yet unsubstantiated. I don't think the game would be especially fun in big TF2 style servers, but they definitely need to improve the ability to quickly hop into games with other people from a large online community.

What do you mean by that, the thing I bolded?

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular

I'm not Zek, but I parse it as "it would be nice if I could join a self-selected queue, e.g. 'throw me in a game with anyone from Penny-Arcade'". If you had a Discord server for a community of 40-50 likeminded people, it would be cool to be able to join a queue run by or associated with that community, so you just play with that subset of known tolerable players.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Brig is a tankheals
    Roadhog is a tankdeeps
    Ana is a healdeeps
    Tracer is recondeeps
    I'm not even sure wtf Sombra is, she defies any classification.

OW roles feel like someone saying demo knight and regular demoman are the same thing and perform the same role on a team.

Or rather this game has, or ideally has, more variety than can be described in only three roles.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Yeah but that's the case for roles in...almost any game. There's still considerable gameplay merit to having a set of predetermined roles so that there's at least a baseline for structure and you can have actual games. The alternative is completely subjective chaos where you get a bunch of non-games from the jump because everyone has their own personal definitions of what each role represents and where each character fits into that scheme and you're not even speaking the same language with people when it comes to teambuilding and swaps.

Sure, tank/DPS/support is a little reductive, but it's far from nonsense. I also think role queue is almost certainly not the thing to blame for a perceived drop in tank quality: it's much more to do with the drop in people playing the game overall.

• Options
    role q kinda killed my interest in ow

i only played comp seriously pre season 16

higher sr gameplay post role q got a lot more boring because 2 tanks tended to be hard meta and people forget just how much of role q was double shield lol

my fave games were always the 1 mercy 4-5 dps fiestas as the poor mercy flew around desperately trying to stop everybody dying like a mother trying to stop toddlers doing something stupid at a party

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »

I'm not Zek, but I parse it as "it would be nice if I could join a self-selected queue, e.g. 'throw me in a game with anyone from Penny-Arcade'". If you had a Discord server for a community of 40-50 likeminded people, it would be cool to be able to join a queue run by or associated with that community, so you just play with that subset of known tolerable players.

In short: More games should look at how Titanfall 2's community features worked. Being able to push a button saying, "Hey, I'm going to start a game up, does anyone want to join?" Everyone else who's not in a game in that community gets a pop-up and can choose to join in as well.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    I just miss the days of dedicated servers where you'd build a community and play with and against them exclusively. Adding a bunch of people as friends and inviting them to a premade is a lot more work and many people don't bother. So yeah something like a community system where you just join one and hit Play and the game matches you with other members.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    I just miss the days of dedicated servers where you'd build a community and play with and against them exclusively. Adding a bunch of people as friends and inviting them to a premade is a lot more work and many people don't bother. So yeah something like a community system where you just join one and hit Play and the game matches you with other members.

like the technology tf2 had over a decade ago? :smiley:

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Pailryder wrote: »

like the technology tf2 had over a decade ago? :smiley:

I believe that's specifically the point they're making, yes (hence the "missing the days")

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I think it's telling that the tank queue in Overwatch in my region got markedly worse after the Overwatch 2 beta, now that people got a taste of how empowering the rebalanced solo tank could feel. Playing tank has only gotten more miserable over time for me, but the design logic I see in play in Overwatch 2 singlehandedly revived my interest in tank queue. Yes it's a pretty big bummer how Orisa lost a whole lot of her original identity in a way that I thought was kind of unneccessary, kind of in a way that the new game as a whole loses a lot of the first game's identity in favour of competitive FPS hyper-aggression, but in a way this is pretty much the throughline from the direction the game has taken for years, restricting freedom of team composition in order to maintain balance in the face of content bloat.

I'm still of the opinion that the only thing that the game needed was a hard 2 healer quota and that the rest would balance itself out, but what's done is done

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    biggest shock i felt returning to the live game from the beta was just how busted hard CC is, i had a mystery heroes game where i started on mei and went on a tear

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    junkrat getting his root trap back tho

cant hold the rodent down

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Wait, maybe I'm a bit slow here because I haven't had a morning coffee...

So Overwatch 2 is going to be free to play. Does that include the co-op PvE story campaign that was the initial main draw for me and my friends? Or is that free to play just for the early access multiplayer stuff? Like, I haven't heard a single thing about the story campaign since the initial announcement...is it still happening or are they pushing REAL hard on the multiplayer stuff because they're hoping people forget that OW2 was supposed to be PvE-focused?

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    ow2 pvp separate from ow2 pve

ow2 pve will be 1) paid 2) delayed because pvp needs to be playtested and ow1 having no content was destroying community. so they update everybody free to ow2, test new monetisation to support ongoing content, then get an infusion of cash with pve later

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Or they find out that the monetization from the PvP side of things vastly outweighs the cost of developing story content, scrap the PvE mode (or release a barebones version), and crank out even more MTx for the PvP mode.

Honestly, I'm just cynical about OW2 since every bit of news I've seen of it for the past year (or more) has been about the PvP stuff. If the PvE mode comes out and is awesome, cool. If it gets scrapped, well, this is my surprised face -_-

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    The announcement this Thursday is supposed to talk about the live service model and whatnot. Hopefully, we'll hear about the PvE stuff then.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Had we seen Junker Queen stuff before?

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Only lore related (mostly via Junkertown)

• Options
    she's shown up in artwork before and some UI stuff with her abilities was leaked a couple months ago, but this was our first time seeing her in game

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I'm sorry, I meant as an actual playable character, yeah

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    We've also been hearing her voice for ages lmao

• Options
    roadhog is the real junker queen

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I thought that was a Sombra skin in the thumbnail. It feels like Blizzard is doing the current Disney animation thing of just mixing existing faces and characters together for their new stuff. Junker Queen is 75% Zarya, 25% Sombra, and it looks like she doesn't have any cyber or prosthetic limbs. I was expecting a more battle damaged Tina Turner Bartertown, less Road Warrior henchman #2 with the red mohawk.

All I want is the option to remove Switch players, leavers to be punished with a minimum 10 minute timeout, and Roadhog and Ligma ground into the dirt.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    JQ is definitely gonna need a Tina Turner skin

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    idk guys I had some pretty significant neuron activation during that presentation

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    OP updated. Can't wait for October.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2022

They're pre-announcing more than I thought they would before 6/16. I think the event will be focused on what's launching 10/4, maybe even beyond (PvE).

Also the tank queue this beta is going to be a nightmare. I wish they had done the fox support hero first. I guess there's always deathmatch and open queue for people to get the Junker Queen out of their system.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited June 2022

This is the second time they're teasing this catch phrase, nobody seems to know what it means. Could just be a thing Junker Queen says but they already announced her.

My bets on what gets announced tomorrow:

- Fox themed support hero
    - New maps with the long hinted new game mode
    - PvE updates
    - Battlepass

Zek on