As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

That is not [bad food] which does eternal lie, and in strange youtubes, even food may die

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I always add ground cloves to my pumpkin pie or similar dishes like pumpkin creme brulee. As long as you don't put too much in it adds a really nice dimension to everything.

• zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/yzBIarGJjHk

There is a reason salt and pepper is everywhere. Video is really good but short version, some rich people made it fancy then it became the default.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I think the human body needs some amount of salt in our diet to live also

I think I heard in the past it was fashionable for the very wealthy and powerful, when they wanted to die, to consume a ludicrous amount of salt as their method of choice. Because a) it was basically literally money they were overdosing and b) its apparently agonizing as hell?

Tallahasseeriel on
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

Not a problem in the USA for the most part, looking at sodium content in most stuff.

Madican wrote: »

Not a problem in the USA for the most part, looking at sodium content in most stuff.

Yeah it was more of a concern in like antiquity I think.

I believe they used to play Roman legionaires partly with salt.

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    we sure do!

that's one of the ways you can die of water poisoning!

my friend's dad was such a bad alcoholic that he, daily, drank more beer than you are supposed to drink water.
    washed his whole deal out, and they couldn't give him salt tablets because his body wasn't used to that much salt at once and it apparently would fuck him up.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

It's the origin of the word "salary".

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy

I think I heard in the past it was fashionable for the very wealthy and powerful, when they wanted to die, to consume a ludicrous amount of salt as their method of choice. Because a) it was basically literally money they were overdosing and b) its apparently agonizing as hell?

They chose to commit suicide in a way that was explicitly torturous, not to mention trying to consume that much straight salt to begin with let alone the part where the overdose kicks in, because it was fashionable?

The past confuses me.

They chose to commit suicide in a way that was explicitly torturous, not to mention trying to consume that much straight salt to begin with let alone the part where the overdose kicks in, because it was fashionable?

The past confuses me.

'Fashionable' is a term of art on my part I suppose. I think it was more ritualistic than that?

Kinda like how samurai would prove their honor and courage during ritual suicide by cutting their own stomach open which one imagines would be nightmarishly painful.

The past confuses me.

'Fashionable' is a term of art on my part I suppose. I think it was more ritualistic than that?

Kinda like how samurai would prove their honor and courage during ritual suicide by cutting their own stomach open which one imagines would be nightmarishly painful.

Yeah, but at least the samurai had someone there to cut their head off once they'd disemboweled themselves so they didn't suffer overlong.

OD'ing on salt sounds like agony from beginning to end.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

It's the origin of the word "salary".

Is it? I've heard alternately that it is, or that that's a misconception, or that the misconception argument is unfounded, so I don't know.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Well, most things that rich people do to flex their richness are pretty fucking ludicrous.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Usually when I want to flex on people on how much richer than them I am, I put a napkin over my head and imagine I'm eating some weird tiny bird that was fried alive in butter.

• Up JobUp Job Registered User regular
    Just sticking the whole bird down your gullet beak first.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    You think that's fun wait till you try one of these

dcnyxk8a29jo.png

"Against my better judgement, I'm going to bam it up another notch."

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Never heard of death by salt. Death by honey was an ancient rumour in middle eastern societies (unclear if it ever actually happened), that was supposed to be a particularly holy way to die.

And one of my family friends had a brother with some serious mental illness problems who would routinely try to commit death by milk. He wasn't lactose intolerant so mostly it just made him smell very bad.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    zekebeau wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/yzBIarGJjHk

There is a reason salt and pepper is everywhere. Video is really good but short version, some rich people made it fancy then it became the default.

This is the story of fashion in everything. Rich do a thing to show off, others imitate them, it becomes "common", rich stop doing it and everyone forgets that it used to be "fancy".

We've already discussed some food examples (lobster, gelatin) in previous threads.

Commander Zoom on
    this was not bad food it was excellent food but also I did not cook it so
    last night we went and got a fuckin A+ star unexpected pizza. Artichoke hearts, roasted garlic, anchovies, fresh mozzarella. Excellent combo, would eat again instantly.

.... but my sister called from australia right when the pizza arrived and I had to spend half an hour performing counselling services while my eating companion ploughed through 75% of it on his own and my slice got cold :bigfrown:

(really good pizza though)

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    is your sister okay??

Shorty wrote: »
    is your sister okay??

ehhhh, she's at about standard levels for this year. This is not an unusual occurrence.

edited September 2020
    that was, IMO, damned inconsiderate rude of your fellow diner.

Commander Zoom on
    edited September 2020
    that was, IMO, damned inconsiderate of your fellow diner.

(no it was fine the pizza was fucking huge, i honestly could only make it through 1.5 slices and we still had some left to take home
    and it was better than letting it get cold while I faffed on the phone)

it was just kind of hilarious because neither of us had eaten all day, there'd been a bike accident (not mine) involving a trip to urgent care so the afternoon got completely derailed, everyone was starving, and then BAM right when the food hit the table

tynic on
    NGL an 'eating companion' sounds like someone you hire to eat for you, so like, you can watch them eat food you can't and they can describe it to you. So it sounds like in this instance, I am not that far off base.

Also that pizza sounds fuckin' delicious.

Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    NGL an 'eating companion' sounds like someone you hire to eat for you, so like, you can watch them eat food you can't and they can describe it to you. So it sounds like in this instance, I am not that far off base.

I can see a niche for this actually, yes.

tynic wrote: »

Sad to say I didn't invent it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jdw2Gi9Now

Swear to God, I've read a fic about this. Someone having a dinner date with a horta, each of them trying to describe the experience to the other.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Ed Gamble and James Acaster do that for real

https://youtu.be/ug7YEj14yFQ

ok I gotta know why is this woman dancing and leering at a slice of cake

Swear to God, I've read a fic about this. Someone having a dinner date with a horta, each of them trying to describe the experience to the other.

Wasn't this a thing with one of the new squad characters in the recent XCOM?

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

It is a mystery for sure

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular

SXcl8jy.png

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Whoops. I ordered Wendy’s via Uber eats and didn’t realize it was 12 miles away. I did give a huge 25% tip tho.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    ergh; the flecks of snack particles in the drink have me recoiling.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I tipped $20 for Wendy’s.

I could have bought 2 baconator meals for my tip.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Uh, heads up? I guess? Not sure where to put this but imo licorice is horrible so bad food seems appropriate

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/24/man-licorice-dies-massachusetts

(See, it tastes bad for a reason, people. You're dicing with death!!)

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    last time I ate licorice (it was on accident) I puked my guts out after about five minutes

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    last time I ate licorice (it was on accident) I puked my guts out after about five minutes

What kind? I like licorice as a treat

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    I remember being absolutely disgusted at the taste of licorice but then I ate it again after a couple of years and thought it was alright so I have no idea what happened to me over the years

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    It's a taste I tolerate, but no something I'd go out of my way to experience. It can be nice as a highlight to a flavour, but it's way too strong on its own.

This discussion has been closed.