As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

That is not [bad food] which does eternal lie, and in strange youtubes, even food may die

• Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Watermelon birthday cake bagel risotto carbonara with nutmeg?

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    E.Coyote wrote: »
    Watermelon birthday cake bagel risotto carbonara with nutmeg?

And bathmat mushrooms!

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    my stomach has been such a moody weirdo these last few days
    I just had pasta for lunch, which is already more carbs than i should be ingesting at midday if I want to get anything done in the afternoon, and I was stuffed. I swear! I was what we in the biz call "overly full!"
    but now my stomach is like "hey you know what would be really good
    like really good
    like, I'm just letting you know that if you don't gimme this I'm gonna complain all afternoon
    you ready?

.... a bagel!"

why??? WHY DO YOU WANT A BAGEL???!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0huI_wZ6UE

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Don’t eat Tiger Balm

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    LeperMessiahLeperMessiah Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Long time lurker hi. Not bad food but starting to really cook again to take my mind off things. Homemade split pea, onion, carrot and ham soup. Grilled cheese is ricotta, shredded cheddar, provolone and spices/herbs. Some shredded parmesan and dried herbs topping the soup.

Edit: Nuts I think that pic was too big

5r7kuhlljav5.jpg

LeperMessiah on
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Oh my gosh put all of that directly in my mouth please

• Options
    LeperMessiahLeperMessiah Registered User regular
    5r7kuhlljav5.jpg
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Oh my gosh put all of that directly in my mouth please

Me?

If so thank you, still love cooking but took some time off. Again "bad" food but recalibrating.

Potato pancakes, BBQ rib meat, pickled veg, pancakes topped with sour cream green onion an cilantro.
    h1u0ax5mcnob.jpg

Green beans, carrots, mushroom, onion, red chili flakes and pork cutlets over rice. Deep fried pot stickers and store bought bao
    yzoy86n2v1xj.jpg

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    my stomach has been such a moody weirdo these last few days
    I just had pasta for lunch, which is already more carbs than i should be ingesting at midday if I want to get anything done in the afternoon, and I was stuffed. I swear! I was what we in the biz call "overly full!"
    but now my stomach is like "hey you know what would be really good
    like really good
    like, I'm just letting you know that if you don't gimme this I'm gonna complain all afternoon
    you ready?

.... a bagel!"

why??? WHY DO YOU WANT A BAGEL???!
    That's the problem with carbs, they always make you want more carbs.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    watermelon's a weird one for me

I like watermelon flavor a lot, in candy and such, but fresh watermelon is an absolute no-go, as is cucumber
    I've a friend like this, he hates cucumber and thinks watermelon just tastes of cucumber.

Alas, we're in the UK where at best watermelons are sweet-ish and at worse they're tasteless, so it's hard to change that. They also brand bowling ball sized fruit as "giant watermelon", so, you know.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I’m the opposite. I like fresh watermelon but hate watermelon-flavored everything.

Except for Jelly Bellies, but 50% of that is the shell/inside gimmick

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    I bought a pack of pumpkin spice bagels.

With butter and cream cheese they are quite enjoyable.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

I like watermelon flavor a lot, in candy and such, but fresh watermelon is an absolute no-go, as is cucumber

Yeah, put me down as another who likes the concentrated/artificial/sugar-added flavor, and doesn't care for stuff that's basically "water with texture".

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    licorice is great

but fennel seeds in sausage is the devil

It's weird, I have the opposite reaction.

Licorice tastes like death, but fennel seeds taste... like nothing in particular?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Ketar wrote: »
    I'll just be over here trying to figure out what macarons have to do with nutmeg.

I'm not sure there's any kind of baking you can't find a use for nutmeg in.

hello, the 18th century called

I was going to post a clip from the Pinky and the Brain episode where they dump an entire barrel of nutmeg on a giant crepes suzette and blow up Napoleon's palace. But apparently nobody ever clipped that, and I didn't want to link to full episodes on dailymotion.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Yeah, put me down as another who likes the concentrated/artificial/sugar-added flavor, and doesn't care for stuff that's basically "water with texture".

Get you some of these fuckin' thangs.
    Super-rebanaditas-sandia-20pz.jpg

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Fuck, looks like the last version of me to go grocery shopping was the clean-eating one.
    It’s 9.30 at night and all I want is a brown butter chocolate chunk cookie why is there no such thing in my immediate vicinity.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Fuck, looks like the last version of me to go grocery shopping was the clean-eating one.
    It’s 9.30 at night and all I want is a brown butter chocolate chunk cookie why is there no such thing in my immediate vicinity.

I find it's a lot easier when the answer to the question is "I decided to bake something else last weekend".

I can't believe how hard it's been to find some damned pumpkin lately. Was a fresh loaf of homemade pumpkin bread really asking for that much?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    plenty of spice, but no pumpkin

• Options
    Carbohydrates are sugar, what the fuck did they expect?

Also brioche has an assload of actual sugar in it, and it is definitely bread. Not defending Subway at all here, I think their bread is fucking disgusting, but it is still bread.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Carbohydrates are sugar, what the fuck did they expect?

Also brioche has an assload of actual sugar in it, and it is definitely bread. Not defending Subway at all here, I think their bread is fucking disgusting, but it is still bread.

It's for tax reasons, not etymological reasons.

• Options
    yeah it's a bit misleading on the headline and people are getting really giddy about it because "lol did you hear subway doesn't actually serve bread lol I'm clever"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    especially with folks who shit on subway constantly when they live in a major city and not a food desert it's kind of exhausting seeing it

• Options
    Subway isn't good food, but it's passable, and I'll eat it in preference to McDonalds.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    But are they still sandwiches?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    That was also the Irish Supreme Court, not SCOTUS.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    But are they still sandwiches?

I'll make you a sandwich

a knuckle sandwich

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Beat fresh

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    The law states that for bread to be considered a “staple product” and not attract VAT, it “shall not exceed 2% of the weight of flour included in the dough”. Subway’s bread has a 10% ratio.
    Eff me...

Glal on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    It's actually not that unusual. As Pinf said, brioche has an even higher ratio of sugar as one example. If you want mega fluffy bread a good way to do that is feed the everliving fuck out of some yeast.

• Options
    Two quick examples from google of Brioche:

512g flour, 105 g sugar (20.5%)

17.6 oz flour, 2.1 oz sugar (11.93% and has some honey as well)

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    is anyone treating Brioche as a staple product?

Marie Antoinette maybe

• Options
    My point is that Subway's bread having a lot of sugar is not the reason their bread is bad or as aberrant as you might expect.

• Options
    Their bread is bad though it smells and tastes like a yoga mat that's been left in a shed out back all summer.

• Options
    It's also extremely common to have that high of sugar content for american bread.

Wonder bread and other store bought breads are probably 15-25% themselves.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Their bread is bad though it smells and tastes like a yoga mat that's been left in a shed out back all summer.

Do they not make it fresh in-store? They do here in Australia, and whilst no, their bread is most definitely NOT artisanal, it's perfectly fine for a fast-food sub.

• Options
    I don't actually know, the smell inside Subway literally makes me nauseous for some reason (I don't know, either, it's not like their food is rotting) so I spend almost no time in there.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

Do they not make it fresh in-store? They do here in Australia, and whilst no, their bread is most definitely NOT artisanal, it's perfectly fine for a fast-food sub.

They bake the loaves in store in the US, but the raw dough is made by commercial bakery suppliers
    and shipped to the stores.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2020
    I've only had subway in Australia and the bread was horrible but yeah this is about what counts as a necessity for tax purposes, not a particular call out wrt to sugar content

That said
    - American supermarket bread is too sweet, get your shit together
    - subway might have less sugar than brioche but it also does not claim to be brioche so it's not really comparable
    - it's pretty inedible regardless of what you call it

tynic on
This discussion has been closed.