As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

That is not [bad food] which does eternal lie, and in strange youtubes, even food may die

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    But that's how you get diabetoes

chico...

No, that's smof

Children's rights are human rights.
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I grabbed some retort pouches of Japanese vegetable curry the other day, and wanted to have katsu curry for dinner tonight, but didn't want to deal with breading and frying up a chicken cutlet from scratch. So, I just threw some frozen chicken strips in the oven instead. Basically the same thing, right?

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    I grabbed some retort pouches of Japanese vegetable curry the other day, and wanted to have katsu curry for dinner tonight, but didn't want to deal with breading and frying up a chicken cutlet from scratch. So, I just threw some frozen chicken strips in the oven instead. Basically the same thing, right?

Let's put that all out on a tray.

Nice.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I did a month long road trip through the USA. All through the states below the mason Dixon line, except for Florida.

Towards the end, all I wanted to eat was a salad. Just something fresh and relatively healthy.

I ask for a salad. They tell me they only do a chicken salad. I tell them no worries, that will be fine.

My salad comes out. It is two pieces of iceberg lettuce, with three giant fried chicken breasts on top, drenched in ranch sauce. I nearly cried

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I am very pleased that American/European style cafes caught on here, else it’d be steamed, boiled and stir fried vegetables as far as the eye can see.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Hell, Tef, you're lucky it wasn't chunks of fruit in Jello.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    I did a month long road trip through the USA. All through the states below the mason Dixon line, except for Florida.

Towards the end, all I wanted to eat was a salad. Just something fresh and relatively healthy.

I ask for a salad. They tell me they only do a chicken salad. I tell them no worries, that will be fine.

My salad comes out. It is two pieces of iceberg lettuce, with three giant fried chicken breasts on top, drenched in ranch sauce. I nearly cried

Sounds pretty German to me fwiw only swap fried chicken for pork and ranch sauce for "brown sauce."

Also in a tiny town in Belgium we went to a cafe where everything was in Flemish (YOUR FRENCH CAN'T HELP YOU NOW!) and I ordered what I translated roughly to mean "local forest salad"

It was

Just pork meats and gravy

It had the word salad in it

Fortunately I'm only vegetarian-by-preference but my friend described the look on my face (we had taken our first food break from cycling in 70-something km) as "truly horrible"

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    The most impressive thing to me about that story is that you had just cycled 70km and ordered a salad

Brovid Hasselsmof on
    Depending on how long that took, I can definitely see how you might not want to cram your guts full of anything but light, pleasant greens.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I can empathise with that, in high school I went to England for 3 weeks to stay with a family as means of improving my English before the relevant exams and boy did that family not believe in fresh fruit or vegetables. I was craving raw vegetables so much by the end of that trip.

My girlfriend hates carrots, and it has had a non-trivial impact on our relationship, I can assure you.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    so I am very much not a vegetarian, love cheese (though it loves me back less and less as I get older :( ), pizza is one of my very favorite foods, etc etc.
    but sometimes?
    sometimes I really want a salad. maybe with some bits of grilled chicken and/or boiled egg, but honestly, I'd be fine with just some romaine* and some dressing**. croutons and cherry tomatoes if I'm feeling fancy.

* not a fan of iceberg, which is (1) aptly named and (2) to re-use a phrase from earlier in this thread, pretty much just "water with texture".
    ** Caesar or Ranch, by preference.

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Sometimes for dinner when I’m craving a salad, I make a HUGE salad with different greens(usually mostly a spring mix and spinach and romaine) put in a bunch of veggies that are fresh. Then end up drowning it in a dressing as I’m not a huge fan of some of the bitter lettuces that tends to come in “spring mix”. When it’s all said and done I often wonder if that meal was calorically more than a normal meal. And sometimes I need to add some chicken to the salad or else I still feel hungry afterwards, and my go to chicken for that thing? Yup buffalo chicken strips!

50433.png?1708759015
    Recently my Girlfriends lunch has been three (3) sliced tomatoes with salt and olive oil

and I gotta say, top 3 salads of my life, no contest.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Recently my Girlfriends lunch has been three (3) sliced tomatoes with salt and olive oil

I like to chuck a few basil leaves in mine but yeah, very tasty and fresh!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    Greek salad is best salad

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

Toss some mozz on there and you have a Caprese.

sig.gif
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Hmmm

b9dj52ghfd5h.jpg

Hmmm

Veldrin on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    My girlfriend hates carrots, and it has had a non-trivial impact on our relationship, I can assure you.

I bet that "tell me your wildest kink" conversation got real awkward as you carefully pushed the Bugs Bunny costumes back under the bed.

MichaelLC on
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    The most impressive thing to me about that story is that you had just cycled 70km and ordered a salad

I love salad!!

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    It's me I'm the salad hater, can't stand raw veggies except like carrots.
    I'll happily take take boiled/steamed veggies and especially stir-fried ones.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

A personal favourite of mine is tomatoes, fresh mint leaves, and balsamic vinegar.

Stir fried veggies are great!

But I ain't exactly trying to have pepperoni pizza every day either, right, like I need some corn and mayo on there once in a while.

mayo and corn on pizza

throw some tempura shrimp and sweet potatoes on there too while you're at it

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Maybe some raw broccoli florets

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Can't stand mayo, but I'd be willing to try corn on a pizza.

sig.gif
    Corn is a pretty standard pizza topping in the UK.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

Still I am rather curious why broccoli in a lot of frozen food
    not carrots or peas or such but broccoli

RbehXE6.png

The crust flavor options on this bad boy are... cheese, sweet potato, red bean or... cream cheese choux

The topping ingredients are corn, pepperoni, spicy chicken, jalapeno, bacon, grana padano, pineapple, garlic shrimp and... pumpkin salad.

bplCftu.jpg

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Hmmm

b9dj52ghfd5h.jpg

Hmmm

That's just factory-made "bechamel" sauce, isn't it? Pretty easy and quick to whip that stuff up yourself.

mayo and corn on pizza

throw some tempura shrimp and sweet potatoes on there too while you're at it

Sweet potatoes are for dessert!

RbehXE6.png

The crust flavor options on this bad boy are... cheese, sweet potato, red bean or... cream cheese choux

The topping ingredients are corn, pepperoni, spicy chicken, jalapeno, bacon, grana padano, pineapple, garlic shrimp and... pumpkin salad.

bplCftu.jpg

Okay, that is too many things.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    When my dad made homemade pizza it often had corn on it and it was fine. I don't think I've ever seen it as an option at a pizzaria, though.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Japan really loves to get extra on bread related products so I wonder if that's just a SEA thing in general

Madican on
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I’m one of the few that rarely thinks that there can be “Too Much Toppings” on a pizza. As long as it isn’t soaked and mushy, I’ll happily eat it. Garbage pizza’s are designed for me! Gimmie all the toppings!

50433.png?1708759015
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I'd try those pizzas.

My dad was banned from making pizza in our house because he used it as an excuse to empty the freezer of multi year-old garbage that should have been thrown away. That pizza was baaaaaaaaaad.

• AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »

Still I am rather curious why broccoli in a lot of frozen food
    not carrots or peas or such but broccoli

Because it's relatively cheap and you can use the stems etc. to take up a lot of extra volume. One of my pet peeves is buying some sort of frozen vegetable medley with broccoli in it and it being mostly little chunks of stem.

The stems are great!

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    My dad was banned from making pizza in our house because he used it as an excuse to empty the freezer of multi year-old garbage that should have been thrown away. That pizza was baaaaaaaaaad.

Gluahg...I can taste the freezer-burn'd toppings from here. As someone that's made the mistake before, the only way you can reliably salvage food like that is to lump into a pressure cooker and make the hottest spiciest chili/goulash you can imagine to hide the funk and even then that's only done as a "oh shit i'm broke until payday, whelp, gotta make do I guess" kind of situation even then.

This discussion has been closed.