As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

That is not [bad food] which does eternal lie, and in strange youtubes, even food may die

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Uriel the ice cream recipe that I tried last weekend was really good!

1 can sweetened condensed milk
    2 cups heavy cream
    vanilla

you mix the vanilla into the condensed milk, whip up the cream to stiff, and then fold the whipped cream into the vanilla milk and freeze it.

it's very light in texture in comparison and freezes to an almost mid ice cream (it doesn't turn into a brick like Breyers ice cream)

hardest part would be the whipping the cream by hand, but I'm sure you can do that

Oh cool!

I do have a strand mixer, just not a hand-held one for the double bowl ice-cream method.

I'll have to try this out.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Was worried about my meringues when I took them out; there was a chew to them, but that turned into a nasty chunk of hard sugar in the mouth.

But overnight, they seem to have died out into nice crispy things.

They kinda remind me of the marshmallows you get in Lucky Charms. They’ve got that kind of texture.

This was an interesting experiment.

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    One of the weirdest things that seems to be true is Almond Chicken tastes like crap as left overs
    Something about it just doesn't like being refrigerated.
    I have had burger king left in a hot car for hours taste far better than it

Yeah some foods just hate being reheated or eaten as leftovers. I absolutely adore spaghetti carbonara but I can never really justify making it at home since I can't finish my portion in one go. Let me tell you, something about that egg/cheese slurry mix turns downright FOUL if you try to reheat it in a microwave or pan after it cools.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Can you get good espresso for under £100? 10:53
    https://youtu.be/avM-XsaTBIc

£100 is around 1200 Norwegian Krones or 130 USD

Peas on
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Get in mah belly!

The Halal Guys' Chicken And Gyro Platter Is NYC’s Most Legendary Street Food | Legendary Eats (6 mins)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emmXWi4iAW4

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Is it wrong to eat general tso’s chicken in bed?

Asking for a fiend.

Not a typo

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Get in mah belly!

The Halal Guys' Chicken And Gyro Platter Is NYC’s Most Legendary Street Food | Legendary Eats (6 mins)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emmXWi4iAW4

There’s a long-gone Halal truck on 46th and 6th that I miss dearly. They had sweet chili sauce which I swear none of the other Halal trucks carry. I miss that place more than a lot of other shit that’s no longer in my life. I’m pretty sure I liked that place even better than The Halal Guys (which was also great).

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Hey, how come hot dogs come in packages of ten, but Olive Garden bread sticks only come in infinity? Right? Who are the marketing wizards who came up with that?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    New D&D item: Bag of Neverending Breadsticks.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    New D&D item: Bag of Neverending Breadsticks.

Adventure time had an infinite breadstick wand

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    giphy.gif

KalTorak on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Hey, how come hot dogs come in packages of ten, but Olive Garden bread sticks only come in infinity? Right? Who are the marketing wizards who came up with that?

I have seen packages at work of hot dogs that are as low as 5 and as many as 32

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    giphy.gif

I love the effort he put in trolling a man hes known for 20 years on what was essentially paid vacation to italy in his honor

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    giphy.gif

I love the effort he put in trolling a man hes known for 20 years on what was essentially paid vacation to italy in his honor

he deserves it.

the trolling I mean, not the honor.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I could not find any Simply style poptarts at the store again, but this time I did find the pretzel chocolate type so I got a box of those and will try them out.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Hello today I was informed that consuming raw flour is bad for you, and googling it has led me to what seems to be some actual info but a whole lot of fearmongering, which may be more about individual brands of flour than flour as a whole.

So, food experts: am I "safe" to make and consume my own raw cookie dough? I know raw eggs are frowned upon, but I buy my eggs from the local farmer's market and my understanding is eggs from more or less free-roaming chickens are safe.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    as I understand it, fecal contamination from tightly caged factory egg production is the big risk, so eggs from free range chickens should be more safe.... EXCEPT there is no USDA labeling standard for applying the label "free range" to egg products, so that label is legally meaningless in that context.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I dunno if raw flour is deadly, I do know that it gives a lot of people indigestion, esp. uncooked bread dough eg.

Personally I’ve never worried about eating raw cookie dough or homemade mayonnaise as long as it’s freshly made, and so far I’m salmonella free.

as I understand it, fecal contamination from tightly caged factory egg production is the big risk, so eggs from free range chickens should be more safe.... EXCEPT there is no USDA labeling standard for applying the label "free range" to egg products, so that label is legally meaningless in that context.

Well the eggs I buy are from a literal farmer that has like 30 chickens running around on his land.

Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Well the eggs I buy are from a literal farmer that has like 30 chickens running around on his land.

Then you should be good.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The eggs i buy are from a littoral farmer.

Beats me why he has a farm on the shoreline

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I wish I could buy eggs from a farmer

Brainleech wrote: »

French cooking can be so complicated lol

BahamutZERO.gif
    knitdan wrote: »
    The eggs i buy are from a littoral farmer.

Beats me why he has a farm on the shoreline

Maybe he farms peninsulas. I hear there's money in land!

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I wish I could buy eggs from a farmer

I'd be kind of surprised if there wasn't someone you could buy eggs from within an hour's drive

Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Hello today I was informed that consuming raw flour is bad for you, and googling it has led me to what seems to be some actual info but a whole lot of fearmongering, which may be more about individual brands of flour than flour as a whole.

So, food experts: am I "safe" to make and consume my own raw cookie dough? I know raw eggs are frowned upon, but I buy my eggs from the local farmer's market and my understanding is eggs from more or less free-roaming chickens are safe.

Raw flour is one of those weird food safety areas where if a bunch of people eat raw flour, some of them will get sick and a few of them will die. The more people who do it, the more people will get sick, and the more people will die.

However, the odds of you, specifically, getting sick from eating raw flour are extremely low. Sometimes flour can be contaminated with salmonella or e. coli just by being a starchy food in the world. The good news is that it's an acute danger, not an accumulating one. So it's not a situation where eating a little cookie dough every week will eventually give you cancer. If you eat cookie dough and don't get lava gut, you got away with it. The dice reset for the next time you eat cookie dough.

As with undercooked steak, it's a reasonable risk to consider if you really enjoy eating very slightly risky foods. Just be philosophical about it if you end up exploding out both ends for a day or two, and steer clear if you've got immune or digestive problems to begin with.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, but I helped my mom out with a bunch of food safety classes back when she worked for the county extension office.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    now that bags of flour have a warning like "Flour is raw. Please fully cook before enjoying," I've just been picturing people eating handfuls of dry flour out of the bag like Homer Simpson.

• kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    Hey Pin, to follow up when I mentioned the flour thing:

You can set a risk level with eggs. You know what you're getting into: you can eat raw supermarket mass-produced eggs, with an expectation of perhaps 1 in 20,000 being contaminated. The contamination is going to be on the shell, so there's some expectation of cracking a contaminated egg without contaminating the actual egg. But eventually, given enough raw eggs consumed, you're going to spend a few days sitting and groaning on the pot.

You can, as you have done, go with a better egg product. You pay a little more, and you get much better eggs, with a lower risk of contamination. Still some risk, but, to you (and I), an acceptable one.

With flour, you can't do that. The wheat berries get harvested, lumped together, then the entire berry is milled, then sieved. All of this means that anything on the berry when it was harvested, like bird shit, just gets mixed into the entire finished product.

And there's nothing you can do to lessen your odds of getting contaminated flour. Conceivably, a place might irradiate the finished flour and advertise it as safe for raw consumption, but no one is doing that, so you're just eating whatever dead bugs, bird shit, etc that made it into the grain mill along with the grain.

In Roman times, the wheat berry was toasted, then the bran and germ removed. This would produce a safe-for-raw-consumption flour. Today, everything gets milled together, and the endosperm particles get sieved out, then further milled into flour. This is after the whole grain is soaked in water for ~24 hours, so any bacteria spores have a chance to activate.

What this means is that when people get sick after eating raw cookie dough, which is rare (but happens often enough to be a thing), it's going to almost always be the case that they got sick from the raw flour, not the raw eggs.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Nice.

Also, holy shit. Does McDonald's reheat? I know their fries aren't worth a damn after five minutes, because I once had a very disappointing evening trying to make after-work chili cheese fries with them. And it was some fucking good homemade chili.

I can't speak to McDonalds but Carl's Jr's spicy chicken sandwiches, ordered plain, will re-heat pretty well. I lived off those things for a while working swing on an industrial printing press. I also ate Nalley Chili straight out of the can back then, so yea, take my food recommendations with a grain of salt.

Mcd's stuff does reheat but only very specific sammiches. Specifically the plain cheeseburger and hamburger reheat just fine. In fact, you can freeze the hamburgers/cheese burgers while still in their paper wrapper for later if you want then, simply take them out of the freezer and while still covered in the wrapper, flip them upside down and microwave them for a minute. It's basically the equivalent of white castle frozen burgers but if you're absolutely craving a simple cheeseburger or hamburger and don't want to go out, these will work in a pinch. Essentially any sammich that's only meat/cheese/mustard/ketechup/oninon/pickle should allow you to do this.

I tried this, it worked, and I'd like to congratulate you on ruining me.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    now that bags of flour have a warning like "Flour is raw. Please fully cook before enjoying," I've just been picturing people eating handfuls of dry flour out of the bag like Homer Simpson.

Snarfing down flour before drinking several cups of water followed by a bowl of egg yolks before vigorously jumping around the kitchen

Burger Punk has parked their truck about a block from my house, directly on my route home from work.

This feels like bullying.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Wendy's has buy one get one for $1 breakfast sandwich deal going on. I go there pretty often and they just entered it for everything I ordered. Probably would have ordered more if I had known there was a sale.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Fuck, I should not know what sunrise looks on my drive home. Starving though, so I stopped for breakfast (dinner?).
    j8Am2Q6.png

I love 24h pizza places.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Burger Punk has parked their truck about a block from my house, directly on my route home from work.

Sorry to hear about the eighteen consecutive heart attacks, man. It was nice knowing you.

• see317see317 Registered User regular

I envy you your bullies.
    Mine just shoved me into lockers and stole my books.

Yours apparently make you lunch?

see317 wrote: »

I envy you your bullies.
    Mine just shoved me into lockers and stole my books.

Yours apparently make you lunch?

Yes it's insidious isn't it

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.