[Knights Flying Crown] A Randomly-Generated Beamsaber Mission

245

Posts

  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    From the book: Let each other player pick one of your Playbook’s example starting beliefs as the one that applies to their pilot.

    Empath
     I can fix the reason they hurt.
     I can take advantage of their pain.
     Their vehicle has strong emotions tied to it.
     I can feel they are a good person and I implicitly trust them.

    Envoy
     They're a sucker who will get me into trouble if I don't fix them.
     They’re in need of a makeover and I have the style.
     They don't fit the objective of this squad, so I will find out why they are here.
     They will make a good social prop.

    Scout
     They would be lost without me.
     They make me feel like part of the team.
     They want to survive and I can teach them how.
     They’re in constant danger, so I’ll keep them safe.

    Soldier
     Their hesitance to inflict violence will Harm the squad.
     They rely too much on their technology.
     The Squad needs a better fitness regimen and I will start with them.
     We’ve fought side by side in the past and I can trust them at my back.

  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    geth roll 4d6 positive/negative status with other squads

    positive/negative status with other squads:
    4d6 20 [4d6=6, 2, 6, 6]

    discrider
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    What are the descriptions of the pilot actions?
    I can't see them in the quick start guide.

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    INSIGHT ACTIONS
    These are actions that rely on the sharp insights of the pilot.
    Hunt: for tracking and long distance precision.
    Study: for inspecting details and evidence.
    Survey: for observing surroundings and possible outcomes.
    Engineer: for adjusting and creating devices and mechanisms.

    PROWESS ACTIONS
    These are actions that make use of the pilot's physical prowess.
    Finesse: for using manual dexterity.
    Prowl: for moving with grace and power.
    Struggle: for engaging in close quarters combat.
    Wreck: for applying brute force.

    RESOLVE ACTIONS
    These are actions where the pilot's powerful resolve is of the utmost importance.
    Command: for compelling quick obedience.
    Consort: for socializing with others.
    Interface: for using complex digital equipment.
    Sway: for influencing through guile, charm, or debate.

    Nips
  • NipsNips Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited June 4
    Okay, nailing some of this down.

    Rick Christine Tsubasa (She/Her), AKA Mentalist, the Envoy

    I changed her look to:
    Rugged Face, Uncertain Eyes, Braided Hair, Skinny Body, Simple Outfit

    Actions:
    Hunt 1 (From Opening: Catching deserters as a bounty hunter [+1])
    Engineer 1 (From Step 8 [+1])
    Consort 2 (From Playbook [+1], History: Spiritual - a former personal psychologist [+1])
    Sway 2 (From Playbook [+2])
    Battle 2 (From Step 7 [+1] and Step 8 [+1])
    Maneuver 1 (From Step 7 [+1])
    Scan 1 (From Step 7 [+1])

    She pilots The Hidden Agenda, a Whittaker Fine Goods Co. prototype Uppercut heavy-class 'Mech. Though she's not a mechjock primarily she's picking up the skills quickly; sometimes, you have to chase down a deserter and that deserter deserted with his vehicle. As such, The Hidden Agenda is probably only on loan to her, on a trial basis for final shakedown on contract from WFG.

    I've updated my character sheet on the Gdrive.

    [Edit] I think I'm doing this right?
    For Xagar's Scout, I'll pick the belief:
    Mentalist wants to survive and I can teach them how.

    For Webguy20's Empath, I'll pick the belief:
    I can feel Mentalist is a good person and I implicitly trust them.

    For discrider's Soldier, I'll pick the belief:
    The Squad needs a better fitness regimen and I will start with Mentalist.

    Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Cheeseliker
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    That looks great. To be honest, the wording is a little confusing for the belief's.

    The thing that would make the most sense to me is you would choose from your own list which Belief's apply to which Pilots?

    Honestly, it doesn't matter to me, you just each need a belief about each other Pilot, however you guys would like to do that is fine.

  • NipsNips Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited June 4
    Yeah, reading the quick start guide and from my listening to an actual play podcast (Friends At The Table), the Beliefs definitely seemed like they're chosen by a player to represent what his/her pilot believes about someone else's pilot, so that wording up there didn't make sense to me at first.

    So, like, whatever works for people!

    Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Cheeseliker
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited June 4
    I'm also listening to FATT!

    Ok, rereading the blurb about beliefs. Each pilot picks one of your sample belief's that applies to their character.

    So you would look at the beliefs for Soldier/Empath/Scout, choose one from each that those characters Believe about your Pilot.

    Edit: Which is what you did!

    Cheeseliker on
    Nips
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    @Cheeseliker can you randomise my name, look and callsign please?

    I'll decide on actions after.

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    geth roll 13d6 discrider name/callsign/look

    discrider name/callsign/look:
    13d6 40 [13d6=5, 1, 4, 1, 4, 3, 1, 5, 6, 1, 4, 1, 4]

  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    Name: Thirty-Three Kiku Jade
    Callsign: Guardian
    Look: Rugged Face, Artificial Eyes, Braided hair, Big body, Vintage Outfit

    discrider
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    That's... Pretty ridiculous and awesome

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
    Cheeseliker
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    So I'm picking stuff that goes on other people's sheets, neat.

    Empath / Ron / "Dice": They would be lost without me.
    Envoy / Christine / "Mentalist": They make me feel like part of the team.
    Soldier / Jade / "Guardian": They’re in constant danger, so I’ll keep them safe.

    CheeselikerNips
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    Alright, I think discrider and webguy need to choose beliefs and then we will be very close? I will be setting up a "setting/intro" post soon. Is everyone cool with me writing up how Knights Flying Crown comes to be and how you guys become a part of it? I've got some good idea, I think, though if you have ideas as well, I'm open to them! I do want this to be collaborative.

  • NipsNips Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I'm open to whatever you got!

    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    discriderwebguy20
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I'll be downloading the rules tonight and going over them. Should have another post by tomorrow morning.

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Xagar wrote: »
    So I'm picking stuff that goes on other people's sheets, neat.

    Empath / Ron / "Dice": They would be lost without me.
    Envoy / Christine / "Mentalist": They make me feel like part of the team.
    Soldier / Jade / "Guardian": They’re in constant danger, so I’ll keep them safe.

    I think this is back to front.
    I'm pretty sure you're picking options from their sheet that apply to your character.

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited June 6
    Ok, so if I've got this right I'm picking things that apply to my Pilot from others lists. Learning a new system is always fun.
    Envoy
     They're a sucker who will get me into trouble if I don't fix them.
     They’re in need of a makeover and I have the style.
    X They don't fit the objective of this squad, so I will find out why they are here.
     They will make a good social prop.

    Scout
     They would be lost without me.
     They make me feel like part of the team.
     They want to survive and I can teach them how.
    X They’re in constant danger, so I’ll keep them safe.

    Soldier
    X Their hesitance to inflict violence will Harm the squad.
     They rely too much on their technology.
     The Squad needs a better fitness regimen and I will start with them.
     We’ve fought side by side in the past and I can trust them at my back.

    webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited June 6
    Ok so:

    "Thirty-three" Kiku Jade


    Webguy - Empath
     Their vehicle has strong emotions tied to it.

    Nips - Envoy
     They’re in need of a makeover and I have the style.


    Xagar - Scout
     They would be lost without me.

    Interface - Art - Mech Sculptor
    Opening - Arrested - Wreck
    3 vehicle - Manipulate, Maneuver, Destroy
    2 Misc - Destroy, Engineer
    3 from book - 2x struggle, 1x command
    Squad - Command

    Unsure if I should put 3 in Command, instead of 1 in Engineer.
    We can only put 3 into a skill with the 11th squad point in Command, Consort or Sway @Xagar @Nips

    discrider on
    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Oh wow.
    Don't how I managed to dodge your choices there before seeing your post @webguy20 :P

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
    webguy20
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited June 6
    Kiku Jade

    Daughter of wealthy industrialists, Kiku lost her eyes in an unexpected attack that destroyed her family home.
    Saddened by their loss, her family vowed to turn their full attention to the war, and their factories were retooled towards the production of Mechs.

    Rebuilding was easy. Replacing Kiku's eyes was harder.
    But after a couple of years, and at great expense, the family had commissioned some cybernetic replacements for the young lady.
    Then her training started.

    Rather than deal with the harsh realities of the ever present war, the family dared to hope and Kiku received a thorough education in the arts, both martial, and more aesthetic.
    When she showed promise in fashioning sculptures, her family extended their dreams even further, and a Mech was constructed out of the remainders of the factories, fashioned for peace, not war.
    With deft hands and a powerful frame, the Mech was given to Kiku to construct giant monuments with, with the hope of inspiring peace in the fragile worlds.

    This lasted only until the draft.
    Having struck out on her own, she was imprisoned for 'sedition'.
    Really though, she was imprisoned for the crime of having a Mech and not being deployed to the War.
    Normally, the Mech would have been appropriated and redistributed, but with this quadrapeds 'feet' full of dextrous digits, it was impossible to find another pilot who could work the beast.

    Kiku, on the other hand, was making a name for herself in prison.
    Having been tall before, in prison she kept up her previous training with a vengeance, and gained muscle mass despite the conditions.
    Soon, prisoner 'thirty-three' was known as an immobile wall, unable to be pressed to anything she did not want to do, and debilitating any who would make her.
    She was consigned to solitary cell 33 for most of her stay.

    Soon she was brought out to teach someone, anyone, to pilot her giant amalgam.
    It soon became clear that was not going to be possible.
    In her words; Her hands are my hands, and my eyes are her eyes
    To everyone else, Kiku's eyes had enabled a cybernetic link to her mech.
    Whilst it might be possible to link another pilot to the same Mech, the years of art could not be taught. Without spending the same time learning the intricacies of and working with her Mech, another pilot could not hope to master its dexterity.

    Eventually the authorities resigned themselves to the situation.
    Despite having a civilian background, Kiku could handle herself well enough, and if not with her, the Mech was destined to become obsolete spare parts.

    So a deal was struck.
    Serve in the war, and keep your 'hands' after your time has served.
    Trapped between losing her art and possibly losing her life, Kiku chose the latter.

    discrider on
    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
    Cheeseliker
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    OK, so it was like I though originally...I'll just fill in the character sheet then!

  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    I'm still confused by it but as long as each pilot has a belief about another pilot, I truly don't care, haha. I'll write up a setting/intro post soon. It seems like almost everyone is finalized their characters/sheets

  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited June 9

    Izya aka Earth, whether you believe the rumors that it is the earth of old or just some periphery world, has become a hotbed of conflict. It’s also a difficult planet to fight over, as a mass of debris, satellites and other space garbage, orbit the planet, making ship transport to planetside incredibly difficult and dangerous.

    There are, however, 6 space elevators, once independently-controlled, with the factions paying expensive costs for transport. Now, however, with renewed interest in this world, each faction has fought and taken control of an elevator, allowing them to bring troops, supplies and AWVs,(Armored Walking Vehicles) planetside. There is one elevator still in Independent control, in Journey City.

    Each faction is vying for the last elevator, which would increase ability to bring military might to the planet and be incredibly advantageous in conquering the planet.

    At the moment, the territory is as shown:
    DFS Protectorate(Democratic Federated Systems): Democracy(patron faction)
    Jovangellian Empire: Autocracy
    ER Inc(Exodus Republic Incorporated): Corporatocracy
    Lands of the Faithful(Church of Celestial Myriad): Theocracy
    Norrish Autonomous(Adamant Council of Nor): Oligarchy
    kate-moody-territory-map-c.jpg?1584976682



    Rick(Nips), Alderperson Drake stands in front of you, gray suit, brown cane, shiny brown shoes, silver-fox hair, gray mustache. His voice is strong, passionate, as he begins to pace in front of his large mahogany desk. Bookshelves line the walls, a few history books are open on his desk.

    “Do you remember our history, pilot? The greatest countries of the old earth were democracies. The voices of the people were heard, presidents voted in, laws created and put into place through the will of the people! It is only right that we bring democracy back to the earth! Imagine the moral victory! The people will be behind us! It will give us the push needed to give us an edge in The War." He looks at you. "I know you have suffered but now it is time to ensure those losses mean something, yes?" He turns away, leaning his cane against the wall, pours himself a glass of whiskey and swirls it before taking a sip.

    "Knights Flying Crown was a democratically-selected name of course. Very popular name, you should be proud. Noble, regal, strong." He turns back to you.

    "Tsubasa, you’ve proven yourself competent. I’ve read your file.” Drake steps forward. “You will lead this squad.” He begins pacing again.

    “The Knights Flying Crown will be our silent weapon, our invisible push to turn the tide. I’ve given you a crew with charisma and tactical expertise as well as combat ability. You will be flexible, adaptable and ultimately successful. Do not let the DFS down.”

    Your FOB is an abandoned amusement park in (choose)[Journey City, Taizhil, Yrvan]. The amusement park was purchased from the Cult of Earth Lost at a very good deal for them.(+1 status)(FOB:Hidden)

    Materials for a workshop were diverted away from the Wrights of Ascent of The Church of the Myriad. They have somehow discovered that their materials were rerouted to “Knights Flying Crown” (-1 status)(Workshop)

    Perhaps you’ve performed a mission or 2 already. Perhaps this is your first mission together. Regardless, you know you are working together to perform missions for the DFS.

    [Patron Faction Goal: Divided They Fall]

    It’s a typical day, say mid-afternoon, you're in your FOB, what is your pilot doing?

    (I'm imagining the actual base underneath the amusement park or perhaps inside some giant old ride or something?)

    Cheeseliker on
    Nips
  • NipsNips Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Shit.

    Mentalist sits on an uncomfortable metal folding chair, staring at a screen on the makeshift table in front of her. The whole arrangement is situated in a tent buried within the amusement park, a flap open and swaying in the breeze. She curses in her mind once again.

    Shit.

    Whatever it is that's coming across the wire to her terminal, she's visibly irritated by it. She taps a few keys on her control board, and sends a message-ping to her fellow pilots.

    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Cheeseliker
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Kiku glances down at her communicator as she dispatches a skeleton with a flurry of blows.
    A message from HQ.
    Probably being pushed into service.

    She spins neatly on the spot, her leg catching thr last ghoul in the chest and sending it rocketing back into the scenery.

    The training platform rolls to a stop, and Kiku leaves the haunted house at a brief jog.
    Time to cool down on the way to the command centre.

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
    NipsCheeseliker
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Tom is sleeping on a couch in a small room, dust motes lazily spinning through the sunlight that squeezes between the blinds. An alarm sounds, and he jumps awake, righting himself on the couch and glancing at the comm lying on a table nearby. He stands, reaching for two bottles just beside the comm. The first he takes two pills from, and the second contains water to wash them down with. The bottles go in a small backpack nearby, his boots go on his feet, his jacket covers a sweat-stained shirt, and his comm goes in his pocket.

    He picks up his aviator sunglasses, and with a practiced motion, snaps them open and settles them on his face. The camera zooms in, focusing on one smooth, black lens, which transitions to the next scene...

    CheeselikerNips
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited June 10
    A recording comes along the wire, encrypted. It’s static-y but understandable after it’s decrypted.

    It’s from Alderperson Drake.

    “It’s time for you to do great things for the DFS. Your target is the Cult of Earth Found. Your objective is to destroy the cult’s communications facility in Hulinton.

    Rules of Engagement:
    -You can only use force against the Cult of Earth Found.
    -There is absolutely no firing on medical facilities or transports
    -Should you be seen using force, you must present as Jovangellian military.

    Know that this mission is one small step in bringing Democracy back to Earth.”

    The message ends and will destroy itself after 5 minutes.

    General knowledge of recent events:
    -Here’s what you know of recent events….a week ago a series of explosions ripped through Fort Jovanol, the new home of the recently transferred Jackals. The squad, on leave from the frontlines, has been devastated, and are taking the attack very personally. Rumor has it that the investigation into the attack ties it to The Cult of Earth Found, who have set up in the small town of Hulinton a couple hours drive South of Fort Jovanol.

    Hot heads on both sides of the rumors have begun slinging vitriol over the radio. Yesterday that switched to missiles when a barrage rained down on Hulinton from North of the town. The Cult’s defensive systems protected the sections of the town under their control, but the North edge of town is burning. Both sides appear to be gearing up for major offensive action.

    (OOC: We are in Free Play phase at the moment. Feel free to discuss the missions amongst yourselves, and Gather Information. Gather Info means describing what you’re doing to gather info and make an action roll, there’s no position/effect on these rolls. Also, feel free to type up multiple things at once. You can discuss/interact with other characters and put a line break and type “after discussing the mission...Ron goes to…”. We can be pretty freeform with chronology/timeline etc. in this phase, jumping forward and back to present, etc.

    We go into the next phase once the squad decides which Engagement to perform. If you’re not sure what to do, just let me know and I will provide possibilities/options you could do.)

    Cheeseliker on
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    "Sounds like we need to look into those defenses as quietly as we can. We can't just waltz in wearing the enemies' colors while they're on high alert. We also need a map, so we can keep any hospitals out of the line of fire." He pauses. "Might not even need our mechs for this one, 'pending on how it goes."

    (So I guess I want to Survey the cult's defenses in person, unless you think something else would be better (Study maybe?). I have a die in Survey so I would roll 2d6?)

    Cheeseliker
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    (@Xagar -You have 1 dot in Survey so you would roll 1d6. If you have 0 dots, you roll 2d6 and take the lowest. You can definitely survey the cult's defenses in person. As this is gather info, there is no positioning/effect, how well you roll just determines how much info you are able to ascertain. )

  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d6 for surveillance

    surveillance:
    1d6 4 [1d6=4]

    Cheeseliker
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited June 11
    ----
    Sometime after the crew's discussion about the mission, Tom makes his way to Hulinton to survey the Church's defenses. At the base of the Southern Izyan Mountains sits Hulinton, a medium-sized town that originally catered to nearby farming communities and tourists from the much larger Journey City.

    Tom, you notice the north side of the town is still freshly damaged, structures crumbled, piles of debris, still smoking, line the streets. It seems mostly abandoned, the Church of the Myriad did not have a stronghold here, it's defenses were located more in the Southern part of town, and they've left it alone. There are no attempts to rebuild at the moment. Past the wreckage lies the rest of the town. The Church of the Myriad as set up fortified walls separating the northern destroyed remnants and the still-holding south. The Church is mainly concerned mostly about attacks from the north, where Fort Jovenal lies. West is blocked by mountains, East and South, the town is more of less open, with soldiers mainly letting citizens go in and out, but keeping an eye out.

    Refugees flow through two or three gates in the walls from the north. Church soldiers letting people pass but keeping a close eye. They stop some and commit random checks. The walls do hold a handful of towers with large manned guns.

    You suspect there are at least 2-3 Church Squads in the area, each with multiple AWV's. How many soldiers and AWV's within the town and outside of the town is difficult to discern. It's likely certain not all AWV's are within the walls simply due to size and density of the town.

    You know for sure, The Cult of the Found is within who were blamed for the attack on For Jovenal, and whose communications tower you are meant to destroy. You also notice a large cathedral being built south of the town, which is what The Wrights of Ascent are known for in the Church of the Myriad faction.

    ----

    Cheeseliker on
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    'Jovellian Military?', Kiku states, turning the words over in her mind.

    'Looks like you'll get your wish, Rick, we'll have to give everyone a make-over'.


    Kiku is going to spend a Load point to have Modding tools on her Mech, because of course she has those.
    And then we're going to perform a bit of Mech dressage, assuming we know what Jovellain Military livery looks like.
    Presumably using our Mech, because making such changes to other Mechs might be a bit unwieldy otherwise.
    Got to get the designer at the same scale as the subject.

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
    CheeselikerNips
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    The Jovangellion Empire is ruled by the Empress' regent general while the Empress is only 9 months old. There are rumors the High General was involved in the terrorist attacks that killed the previous emperors but those who speak too loudly are silenced. They are a military powerhouse, and believe that Might makes Right, and they themselves are the Mighty.

    Aesthetically, they favor clean lines and hard edges. Their colors are Gold and Purple. It would not be too difficult to dress up the mechs as Jovellian.

    Kiku gets to work, if the AWV's are needed, at least they would be present as Jovellian military.


    (Types of engagements:
    -Assault is open violence against the target. The detail is the point of attack.
    -Deception is luring, tricking, and manipulating the target. The detail is the method of deception.
    -Scientific is engaging with technological power. The detail is the unusual procedures used.
    -Social is when the Squad negotiates with, bargains with, and persuades the target. The detail is the social Connection.
    -Stealth is for taking action undetected. The detail is the point of infiltration.
    -Transport is carrying cargo and people through danger. The detail is the route and the means. )

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Is the type of engagement up in the air?
    It sounded like command wanted us to attack openly, with Assault.

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    (Totally up to you. What they specified is that if you are "seen" using force, people think you are Jovangellion. You could do this completely stealthy if you wanted and if you didn't caught/seen, it would be fine as well.

    I also just want to throw out there you have contacts in other squads that could provide info/access with good sway/consort rolls.

    Also, just some ideas I'm throwing out there to get you thinking.

    Stealth:You could sneak into the town, identify the comms tower, set explosives and blow it.
    Deception: Sneak in with refugees, or presenting as some other squad in order to get inside.
    Social: Convince another squad to blow up the comms tower
    Scientific would be using some crazy tech in some way. Here it would likely be interacting with programs, proxies, apps or AI in some way.
    Transport doesn't really work for this mission.

    You could also somehow sneak your AWV's inside through some sort of subterfuge, hiding them as supplies, or have them near the town. If you each take the Remote Control load for your AWV/pilot(I forgot which one it is), you can have it operate pilotlessly to get to you if shit goes bad.)

  • NipsNips Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited June 15
    (Our objective is:
    "Your objective is to destroy the cult’s communications facility in Hulinton."

    Naturally the word 'destroy' is in my mind, flexible. "Rendered inoperable and irreparable" hews in that direction satisfactorily to me. We certainly could mask and sneak our 'mechs into proximity and then demolish the place, but we could just as plausibly smooth-talk our way in and plant a virus in their systems that overloads and fries the critical systems.

    Or level the building from within with sufficient explosives. Y'know, options.

    I'll have a proper pre-mission move up later today!)

    Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Cheeseliker
  • NipsNips Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Rick gets dressed up in her most run-of-the-mill outfit she can find, to blend into crowds in and around the southern end of Hulinton.

    Then she's going for some window-shopping during the day, and ply the bars for unsuspecting off-duty soldiers after hours. Y'know, chat up some exhausted Poor Bloody Infantrymen, get them to slip a little bit about deployments and guard rotations.

    (I'd like to Sway for more information specifically about where troops are located, when, and how they're rotated. I'm hoping to line us up a time-and-place corridor to hit the Comms Tower with its defenses at their weakest.)
    (Rick has 3 in Sway [2 + Silver Tongues], which I will roll here; feel free to accept or adjudicate otherwise, @Cheeseliker !)

    (If there's still time after, I'd also like to have Rick get into a chat with a local radio tech that can possibly do some pirate radio/comms jamming for us...)

    Geth, roll 3d6 for Sway (Hitting the Town)

    Sway (Hitting the Town):
    3d6 14 [3d6=2, 6, 6]

    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Cheeseliker
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited June 16

    (CRIT ALERT.)

    Some general Hulinton information:

    As you enter Hulinton with refugees and meander around, you notice all the civilians tend to be old, young or ill in some way. It seems the Church has conscripted any able-bodied individuals they could find. You see elderly residents serving coffee to soldiers wearing the blue colored uniforms of the church, bright blue stars on their chests, rifles at their sides. You also see Proxies, the ghost-personal assistants of those who've died, lingering here or there, more than in other towns. (FYI: Getting info from a proxy in this town gains +1d, but I start a negative clock).

    Rick, you find a rickety old bar on the edge of town thats mainly been overtaken by Church soldiers and get them talking with ease. Lots of vitriol towards the Jovangellion Empire, and some express confusion at the explosions that happened at Fort Jovenal, and why the higher ups would've ordered that. But then, they're soldiers, they just do what they're told.

    One man in particular, short-cropped hair, blue star symbol hanging on a necklace from his neck, is very open. His name's "Meril," and he's usually guarding the communications tower. Through an hour or so of talk, you find out that for the most part, the Church's military AWV's are stored outside of the town, at a barracks that was set up quickly. Inside the town you might find a few construction-grade AWV's like Elephants to support in constructing the wall and battle emplacements. In terms of the Comms Tower itself, guards work 12-hour shifts, the overnight crew consists of 4 who start at 6pm and go until 6am. Meril tells you that's his usual shift and "it's a real bitch at about 4am, you're tired, the dark never seems to end, and you been on your feet for 10 hours patrolling the same couple hundred feet or so."

    The tower can be seen from all around the town. At its base is a chain-link fence all around, with one gate in the center, with a padlock that the soldiers and comms workers have keys to. The soldiers patrol inside the gate. Right below the tower is a small building, the door is electronically locked with a keypad. There are camera's on each corner of the building whose footage goes to a nearby building which contains a security room. The buildings directly around the comms tower have been evacuated of residents and turned into use by the Church to hold soldiers, workers, supplies, etc.

    You also find out another interesting bit of info....Meril is drunk at this point. "Also, ya know how they have us guarding that place?" He shakes his head. "They don't even realize there's a sewer drain right behind the building. You'd think we'd do something about that, right? But nah, fuckin' head honchos put a single camera down there and that's it."


    As for your other line of inquiry, you have 2 options. There are 2 Independent Squads who might be of help. The Burden(tier 2) is an anti-offworlder group, and they have a pirate-radio-tech who blares heavy metal music along with screeds against off-worlders. You have an ally with the Burden, Duri!

    The other option is Sciolist(tier 1) is an Independent Hacker who only appears to people through their Proxy.




    (On a crit gather info, feel free to ask more questions!

    Also, I'm good with 2 gather info/pre-engagement actions per pilot since this is the first mission. Don't be pressured to do something just because the options there though. Also, it's always good/interesting to bring other pilots with you when you can (and you get a bonus die), so if you're not sure what to do, just say you're happy/available to go with another pilot to do something.)

    Cheeseliker on
    Nips
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    So..
    How does distracting the defences with a Mech or two whilst everyone else sneaks through the sewer and blows up the tower sound?

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
Sign In or Register to comment.