As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Knights Flying Crown] A Randomly-Generated Beamsaber Mission

12345679»

Posts

  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    (No rogue AIs please.)

    Geth, roll 3d6 for ambush!

    (Man I'm so good at rolling dice. Surely this will continue forever.)

    ambush!:
    3d6 13 [3d6=5, 6, 2]

    Xagar on
    NipsCheeseliker
  • NipsNips Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    (Note that I've marked Fine Holoprojector under Vehicle Gear.)

    Mentalist flips several console switches, and the cockpit of The Hidden Agenda goes dim. In front of her, at a slightly oblique angle as her 'mech is under cover, there appears to be a pair of building collapses to each side of the path ahead of the convoy. A moment later and the dust settles to reveal the collapse has blocked the path of the convoy.

    From behind the 'collapse', The Hidden Agenda's upgraded holoprojector works overtime to produce the convincing display.

    It's only gotta stop them for a moment, then Holdout's scramble will do the rest. Mentalist thinks to herself.

    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Cheeseliker
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    The convoy stops at the sight of the collapse, and then the scramble hits.

    The communications and sensors of the Hachetmen are overwhelmed by the electronic attack, blinding them.

    --"Sensors are overloaded, can't see anything, can't identify the vehicle we saw"--
    --"We're sitting ducks out here, let's move!"--

    The convoy moves, Hatchetmen AWV's rushing forward, APC following behind. They are moving right into position for The Hidden Agenda's ambush...

    @Nips @discrider
    You're in a Controlled Position as the convoy moves in. What do you do?

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    "Click, click, click"
    33's fingers dance across the panel coaxing the beast back to life.
    The Guardian hums as the internal motors start spinning up again.
    33 tugs at her braid and checks the various indicators a second time.
    Satisfied, she prepares the cabin, swinging the art tray back to its position against the cabin wall and locking it tight.

    *CHOOOOOOOOOOOM*
    The Guardian explodes out of the ground as the convoy attempts to zip through the graveyard.
    All four hands grasp the APC and the bulk of the mech pins the other machine in place.
    33 shifts the mechs weight and fingertips start piercing through chinks in the APCs armour.
    A high pitched whine starts up, and the straining industrial arms threaten to permanently remove its cargo bay from its husk.

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Some sorta sentient internet aggregator
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited January 14
    Doing the risky thing.
    Minion roll 4d6k1 for Great/Desperate with undodgable consequences


    (Also realised that I get abnormal strength when pushing... I think that applies to my Mech here, if so we could look at Great/Risky instead of what I've rolled, or I don't know what
    Actually, this is superhero ability when pushing, so maybe 33 keeps her paints upright?)

    Great/Desperate with undodgable consequences:
    4d6k1 4 [4d6k1=[4], 4, 2, 1]

    discrider on
    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Some sorta sentient internet aggregator
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    The Guardian emerges from its hiding place and grabs the APC. 33, you deftly rip into the APC's hull and wrench the cargo bay right out of the vehicle in a spray of metallic debris.

    --"Oh what the fuck!"--
    --"They've got the package!"--
    --"Call the Shield now!"--
    --"We'll handle this!"--

    ("Shield" Arrives [X][X][X][ ])

    The Hatchetmen leap into action, swiftly flanking you, 33, one on either side.

    Over your screen comes a video call, you see a woman's face, short-cut pink hair, nose-ring, and tan skin. "Drop that package and you might just leave with your life," she says, smirking, as if relishing a fight.


    What do you do?

  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited January 28
    Reinforcements coming soon. Let's make this look good, Tom thinks to himself. No need to clog comms with something I know they've already realized. He disables the holoprojector and brings up his HUD and the Crayfish's main cannon. In a corner of the display, "HESH rounds" shows. Nasty things, these. They hit armor and squash out for an instant before exploding, turning the armor into shrapnel that shreds anything soft inside it. Even if I hit the Guardian, its armor is too heavy to suffer much damage, but the Hatchetmen's light mechs won't be so lucky.

    All Tom says to his squad is "Firing on the one on the left."

    ...and then "Hit confirmed."

    Geth, roll 1d6 for Bombard

    (Using my fine cannon and special ammo, which should give increased effect if I hit.)

    Bombard:
    1d6 6 [1d6=6]

    Xagar on
    discriderNips
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    (Limited pushed to standard because of Fine Cannon, then pushed to Great due to Special Ammo)

    33, the woman on the screen, her eyes widen and she opens her mouth as the videofeed cuts out. A barrage of heavy rounds rains down on on the Hatchetman mech in front of you. It staggers and falls, smoke rising.

    (Hatchetmen [x][x][x][ ][ ][ ])







    Nips
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    The Guardian's slender white hand tucks the cargo pod under its arm, as another shields the wide bay window from the Crayfish's blast.
    33 sucks air through her teeth and winces, and the shockwave finishes rocking the mech.

    The Guardian rests back on three hands.
    The wide pod bay swivels at the last Hatchetman, sizing it up.
    One left..

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Some sorta sentient internet aggregator
  • NipsNips Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited February 6
    As 33 peers through the viewfinder to the remaining Hatchetman mech, the "rubble" behind it shimmers briefly before the holoprojector powering it deactivates. In its place a pair of tentacle-laden tentacle arms burst forth, gripping the hostile Mech in a crushing and entangling grab. A moment after, the source of the tentacles crashes forward, driving the grappled Mech into the nearby, actual, rubble. The massive bulk of The Hidden Agenda piledrives the hostile with unchecked force.

    "Let's clear this out quick, right guys?"

    Geth, roll 3d6k1 for Risky/Standard Battle

    Risky/Standard Battle:
    3d6k1 4 [3d6k1=[4], 2, 1]

    Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited February 13
    The Hidden Agenda reveals itself with hideous brutality, wrapping up the still-standing Hatchetman with tentacles and piledriving it into the remnants of a ruined building with the ear-splitting sound of crunching metal. Dust billows out from the rubble as a sudden violent silence descends on the battlefield.

    [(Hatchetmen [x][x][x][x][x][ ])]

    Mentalist, there's a sudden beeping that alerts you, you've been targeted. Turning your attention around, you see a turret has emerged from the top of the APC and has begun firing at you. AWV-sized bullets begin peppering your mech.

    (Risky Consequence: 2 Controlled Consequences. 1st controlled consequence: The Hidden Agenda takes level 1 harm. Can resist with quirks, or spend Armor if you want to.)
    (2nd Controlled Consequence: 1 tick. "Shield Arrives" [x][x][x][x] -> Resisted, Spoiler does not occur)

    A loud noise can be heard coming from the city, actually, a low whine that started awhile ago but was hard to notice. It grows louder and louder, a blip on the horizon that's been getting bigger and bigger...A shadow blocks out the sun for a moment before the mech lands between you the southern edge of the Broken Bank, cutting off the closest exit.

    The dust settles.

    phcgrb5b318t.png



    It's a medium sized mech, aptly named Iron Star, a rapid-assault mech known for it's combat abilities.

    A visual of the pilot, a man with a buzz-cut, chiseled chin, and serious eyes stares at you. "This is High Lord Janus Gerard. Surrender and you may yet leave with your lives." There is no jest in his tone, nor emotion of any kind, spoken as if stating a simple fact.

    The Gerard family is one of the five ruling families that make up The Shield of Nor (Tier 5), who were sent to take Earth.

    (Your current position is now Desperate. I will remind you of your ROE:
    -No threatening or employing force against civilians.
    -No firing upon or presenting as clearly marked medical transport or facility.
    -If engaged by another squad, continue engagement until enemy is defeated (retreats, surrenders or is destroyed))


    The Hachetman Mechs are down, the APC is firing at Mentalist with a turret. You have the package.

    What do you do?


    Cheeseliker on
  • NipsNips Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    (I'm going to mark vehicle armor for the gunfire hit.

    Tell me what's necessary to resist the 2nd consequence of the new arrival.)

    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    (So, I'm going to say that the reason the clock ticks is it takes you some extra time to truly crush the mech, giving the Iron Star time to arrive. You can Resist using your Mech, Expertise to more quickly destroy the Hatchetman mech.

    Book: "Vehicles, on the other hand, don’t roll dice when resisting a consequence. A vehicle exhausts 4 Quirks minus the chosen attribute rating to a minimum of 1 (even if a special ability would reduce it to zero or less). For example, a vehicle with 1 Maneuver and 2 Battle has an Expertise rating of 2, so resisting with Expertise exhausts 2 Quirks (4 minus the Expertise attribute rating)"

    So, you would have to Exhaust 4-2(# of actions in Expertise) quirks, so if you exhaust 2 quirks on your vehicle, you will resist this consequence)

  • NipsNips Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    (I'll mark Military Workhorse and Redundant Systems:)

    As The Hidden Agenda repeatedly drives the Hatchetman mech into the rubble, its comms analyzer picks up the beginnings of an SOS signal. A backup COM-ECM suite in Mentalist's mech catches the broadcast, and fills the channel with garbage data.

    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Cheeseliker
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    The Guardian stands impassive.
    The second hatchetman blocking its way having been blindsided by The Hidden Agenda moments earlier.
    The Guardian performs a two finger salute in their general direction with its unoccupied forehand.

    33's eye glows as she swings the cockpit around.
    'We've got the package', she gleams, 'Time to punch out'.
    White enamel panels part as The Guardian sprouts thrusters.
    There is a brief flare, before the mech starts barreling away, blue flame scorching out of its body.

    Minion roll 2d6 for Desperate/Standard

    Desperate/Standard:
    2d6 12 [2d6=6, 6]

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Some sorta sentient internet aggregator
    NipsXagar
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited February 18
    There is screaming within the APC as The Guardian's boosters ignite way too close to its viewing ports.
    It seems unlikely that its gun is going to be hitting anything any time soon.

    discrider on
    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Some sorta sentient internet aggregator
    Nips
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    The Guardian boosts away, south, out of the current engagement. The Camera Crew catches it sailing over, package in hand, blue sky behind it, almost majestic in it's ascent.

    The firing from the APC has stopped but the engine revvs and it takes off, back in the direction of the city, clearly in retreat. The two Hatchetmen mechs lie, unmoving, wrecked and smoking.

    Tom, being the scout, you're alert for new threats and you spot something coming from the North, the direction of the city, and coming fast. It appears to be one target. You radio the others to inform them.

    33, you've escaped that area of conflict and have the package. You could drop it off at 3PCC's safehouse or do something else with it.

    Tom and Mentalist, you're still in the that area and the threat is approaching.

    (Since the threat clock didn't fully tick, you know the threat is coming and get to be in a Controlled position, with the ability to act before it arrives.)

    What do you do?

  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Watching the carnage, Tom thinks to himself job's done, now let's get the hell out of here! He powers down the Crayfish's weapons and does a three-point turn, dirt spraying over the rubble, while he tries to plot a course the farthest away from the incoming hostiles as possible. Over comms, he says, "Stay close, Mentalist. Plotting our route out now."

    Geth, roll 1d6 for Scan our way out (Controlled/Limited)

    Scan our way out (Controlled/Limited):
    1d6 1 [1d6=1]

  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    (1-3: The pilot falters. They can press on by seizing a Risky opportunity, or withdraw and try a different approach and action.)

    Tom, you've spent too long in one place in The Broken Bank, the proxies and AI are now swarming all over you. You can push through and Attempt to Scan but it will be Risky. Or you can attempt a different action and remain in a Controlled Position



    33, you can make a Gather Info check using one of your Actions. You could Scan it with your mech, Survey or Study it, etc. Gather info means there's no failure, it just determines how much info you get.

  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    There's a closeup of Tom's face, a drop of sweat rolling down his cheek beside his sunglasses. He realizes he's bitten off more than he can chew as error messages flood into his HUD, and he cuts the connection to the Broken Bank. Looks like a test of memory, then.

    Geth, roll 1d6 for Maneuver me out of this

    Maneuver me out of this:
    1d6 3 [1d6=3]

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    The dust clears behind a small bluff on the wreckage field.
    33s breath slows as she stares back down her escape route.

    She sniffs.
    *THOOMP*
    Plan B hits the ground as she emerges from behind The Guardian's leg.
    "I think we lost them", 33 states, patting a massive metallic hand.

    Kiku slowly wanders over to the crumpled pod.
    She raps sharply on the side of the container, before running her hands along the wall.
    "Alright. How about we see what we're working with here."

    Minion roll 1d6 for Engineer information gathering

    Engineer information gathering:
    1d6 6 [1d6=6]

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Some sorta sentient internet aggregator
    NipsCheeseliker
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    Tom, unfortunately, the ruins and wreckage that litter the Broken Bank make it difficult to navigate, and you have a hard time. You do move away from the initial site of conflict, but also in a direction away from your reinforcements and 33. Rick, you follow.

    The incoming threat is closing in and you both notice it changes it's trajectory slightly to follow your path. It's tracking you now. What do you do?

    (Position -> Risky)
    (6=Good Information)
    33, with some poking, prodding, and scanning, it doesn't take you long to understand what this is. It's a device that sends out supersonic waves over a long distance. At first, you assumed these would damage equipment, or perhaps affect those who heard it, but it seems as though that's not the purpose. Even right next to this device turned on, the waves wouldn't be audible to human ears. You look deeper and realize what this thing's for. Turning this on would attract, and possibly control, megafauna, the giant creatures and animals that were rumored to roam about outside of the faction's zones of control.

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited February 28
    (Can Kiku install the component into The Guardian?
    It currently has Modding tools equipped)

    discrider on
    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Some sorta sentient internet aggregator
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Despite his best efforts, tension seeps into his voice as Tom speaks over comms: "I can't lose them. Should we try to fight or just keep running?" He takes a couple deep breaths as he swerves around another fallen concrete edifice. "Can't say the mission's complete until we're all home safe."

  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    (It's a stand-alone device, not something meant to be integrated into a mech. Still, that is definitely doable, just not in the middle of a mission. That would have to be a Long-term Project you work on during Downtime and you'd either have to get permission from the DFS or lie to them about having it. I guess I'm willing to say you could try to juryrig it using Engineer because you have Modding Tools, but it would be Desperate/Limited from the start. Things could go very bad.)

    Nips
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited March 9
    Kiku trembles as she opens up the device.
    "We could hook this up to you, girl.
    Chuck out some fat, chunk it in.
    And we wouldn't have to carry the thing!"
    She suddenly stops tracing out the power coupling.
    And looks at The Guardian

    She closes the panel back up.
    "And give them another reason to take you."
    She winces as she looks again at her mech.
    "Can't have that."

    She sighs.
    "Would've been like old days though.
    Putting a mech together from scrap.
    Make it lift a giant boulder and leave it in town for the kids to swing off."
    She chuckles.
    "Then get it to put down the boulder all the same"

    Kiku rides a hand back up to the cockpit after retrieving her anti-armour missile launcher.
    "We've got a mission to complete. Best check-in with the others."
    The Guardian's sensor array lights up as 33 tries to figure where the others are.

    Minion roll 2d6l1 for controlled/limited scan

    controlled/limited scan:
    2d6l1 5 [2d6l1=[5], 6]

    discrider on
    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Some sorta sentient internet aggregator
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    (You can succeed with a minor consequence, I'll tick the "Draw Attention clock once, or retry Controlled position with a different action. This could be, say getting up somewhere high and surveying?)

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    (33s not spending over long on this; she has a rendezvous to make after all.
    She'll take the tick)

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Some sorta sentient internet aggregator
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    (Draw Attention [x][ ][ ][ ])

    Kiku, since you're not in range for comms, you do a quick scan back in the direction of the conflict. You can spot your comrades heading Northwest, away from you, as well as an unidentified target pursuing them. That's all you can discern with the equipment you have from this distance. You're not sure if your comrades are intentionally leading the threat away from the package or are simply lost.

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    33 grumbles, as The Guardian shifts beneath her.
    "I know. That's not the way to the rendezvous"
    The Guardian scoops up the prototype before ambling to a gallop.
    "We got to get this secure before getting them out of there", 33 shouts above the roar, "We're not going to lose anyone today."

    33 heads to the rendezvous and attempts to hide the device.
    In amongst the anti-armour mines already buried there; the rendezvous was chosen to be an ambush for stragglers.

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Some sorta sentient internet aggregator
Sign In or Register to comment.