[Nintendo Switch] Unironically, probably the best console you’ll ever own.

MNC DoverMNC Dover Game Designer/Stay-at-home DadKirkland, WARegistered User regular
edited June 5 in Games and Technology

dIL7nNd.png
The Switch is Nintendo's 7th home console 5th handheld newest hardware. After the Wii U's struggles over the past four years, especially with advertising and PR, this is Nintendo's comeback kid.

As the name implies, the Switch is a hybrid console, capable of going between standard TV play and on-the-go gaming. The console itself is actually just a thin, tablet-esque bit of hardware that's like a slightly smaller and less bulky Wii U gamepad. But don't be confused: whereas the gamepad was just a screen that streamed from the Wii U itself, the Switch is a fully independent console. It has a capacitive touch screen (a departure from Nintendo's preference for resistive), two slots on the side for controller attachments, Wi-Fi, and uses a USB-C cable to charge. Due to its mobile nature, it uses cartridges to play games. There are three main ways to play:

0SgPsNn.png
TV Mode
This the traditional couch playing mode. The Switch comes with a dock that uses an HDMI cable to broadcast the Switch to your TV. This is where the Switch acts like a regular home console, and there's not much else to say. You can play using the game's controller (Joycons) separated or together (there is a grip included in box to give the joycons a controller form factor, but it does NOT charge the Joycons), or you can opt for something more typical like the pro controller (Sold Separately).

lwj0MDJ.jpg
Handheld Mode
The mobile mode, this is just taking the Switch out of the dock and playing on it. The Joycons slide on to each half of the console, giving you a more handheld experience. Battery life will vary based on the game and what you are doing, with estimates being a broad 2-6 hours. Breath of Wild was used as a benchmark, going three hours on a single charge. People are saying something like Shovel Knight can go as long as 7 hours. The general rule of thumb is that polygon-based games will drain the battery roughly twice as fast as ones uses sprites or less demanding graphics. Switches can also connect to up to seven additional Switches for local multiplayer purposes.

oCSjfHq.jpg
Tabletop Mode
Tabletop mode is basically handheld, but the Switch has a little kickstand that lets you prop it up. Each half of a Joycon can operate as its own independent controller, so you can use this mode to play games with another person. The Joycons also have an attachment called a strap that slides in and gives you better L/R button and a bit more grip. It's worth noting that ALL controllers work in this mode, including the pro controller, so you don't need a bunch of joycons.

Oh, and the Switch isn't region locked. You will have to make foreign accounts on your Switch for each market, AND switching markets in the eShop empties your wallet, but it is possible and easy!

pKdbuRi.png

There are two models of the Switch.

8r8EO2U.jpg
The Standard Switch retails for $299.99, and it comes with the following:
  • Switch Console
  • TV Dock
  • Left and Right Joycons
  • Joycon Wrist Straps
  • Joycon Grip (NOT a charging grip)
  • HDMI Cable
  • AC Adapter
You have the option to buy a Switch with black Joycons or Red/Blue Joycons. CHOICES! There is also no shortage of bundles coming out, and they usually save you some cash by coming with a game or extra accessory, so I'd keep an eye out for those instead of buying the base system.
NOTICE: BUY THE LATEST MODEL. It has a fairly decent boost to battery life over the launch model at no other expense. This doesn't release until August 2019, but it will be worth the wait!

ymnS42y.jpg
The Switch Lite retails at $199.99, and it comes with the following:
  • Switch Lite Console
  • AC Adapter
  • That's it
The Switch is an obvious budget model aimed at people who don't care about the dock and just want those games. It is smaller than the Switch, with a 5.5 screen, has a somewhat better battery, joycons that are fused to the system (and have d-pads!), and the inability to dock. Despite presumably having the same USB-C port to charge. For more details, check out this huge fuck-off chart:
xzkfi3zbei931.png
I'd only get the Lite for like...a kid. Or if you just 100% don't nor never will care about docked mode. Because for the cost of like, 1.5 games you can get a lot more flexibility and features.

Need more crap? Accessories are available if you got cash to burn. Remember that a lot of these won't work with the Lite. Do your research!
qY2lGed.jpg
MSRP: $69.99
Want a more traditional controller? That'll be seventy bucks, pal. As a bonus, it comes with a USB to USB-C cable that can also charge the Switch itself, and the Pro can connect to your bluetooth-enabled PC with little difficulty. The Pro has most of the features of the joycons, including motion controls, HD rumble, and NFC support. I don't think it has the infrared scanner thing, however.

2lSUmW0.jpg
MSRP: $79.99
Additional Joycons can be purchased for a hefty fee. They do come with two straps, however.

pmemXGu.jpgE7hNz9V.jpg
MSRP: $49.99
Lose just ONE Joycon? Nintendo has got you covered, although they will charge you an extra ten dollars more than what they cost bundled together. Because business.

22W0iUI.jpg
MSRP: $29.99
That pro controller sure was pricey, wasn't it? Well, for less than half the cost, you can just slap your joycons in this thing and get a similar experience while pretending it's a dog or something. This one also charges your joycons while they're connected to it, unlike the one that comes with the Switch because Nintendo is cheap.

HUpSshu.jpg
MSRP: $14.99
Because you really want a wheel icon next to your name in Mario Kart. Slap a joycon in and race or just use it as a very awkward controller grip.

Z9IINT0.jpg
MSRP: $89.99
Breakdowns of the dock expose this thing as being hilariously overpriced. Please don't buy it.

z8rzxC7.png
The Switch will probably be Nintendo's biggest step forward regarding online play since it actually added online services to its hardware. It seems like Nintendo is finally learning from its contemporaries, having all online stuff managed from your Nintendo account. Sadly, Nintendo is also learning from its contemporaries in that they're going to charge us just to play online. The good news is that the service is fairly cheap, being $3.99 on a month by month basis, or $20 for a year. Another popular thing to do is join in with other people on a Family Account, which is $34.99 a year for up to eight people. That's less than five bucks a YEAR, so I'd definitely go that route if you can find the people. Check out the chart to see what a subscription gets you versus being a plebeian who thinks online play should be a basic free service.
1Cfjnc8.png
The monthly game downloads may have caught your eye. Nintendo is doing something new, and they're launching a Netflix-esque service for their catalog of classic games. While subscribed to Nintendo Online, you'll have access this library along with bonus features like online leaderboards and multiplayer. It's (currently) just NES titles, and they've been adding new titles each month. There's also been little bonuses for subscribers, like the free Tetris 99 game or a coupon to save $20 on two games. Nothing outrageous just yet, but something to keep an eye on.

2l2JFV7.png
What's the battery life for everything?
The Switch: 2-6 hours (Launch iteration), 3-7 hours (Switch Lite), or 4.5-9 hours (2019 iteration) depending on the game. As a rule of thumb, 3D games like Zelda or Mario will last about three-five hours. A game with sprites or 2D effects like Shovel Knight will last about 6-9 hours.
Joycons: 20 hours. Note that that do not draw power from the Switch when attached to it and in portable mode.
Pro Controller: 40 hours. The dock does have three USB ports that can be used to charge.

Is the Switch backwards compatible?
No, it uses carts and has no disc drive to play Wii U media. And no, it's also not backwards compatible with the 3DS, DS, or any other Nintendo system.

Do the carts really taste bad?
Yes, they are coated in denatonium benzoate, which is one of the most bitter compounds for humans. It's meant as a deterrent against children eating them. Don't lick the cart, dummy.

Can I go online in portable mode?
Yes. Also, while it has no browser, if you are at a place with Wi-Fi, there will be an applet that lets you pay/agree to their terms so you can get online.

Are there seriously friend codes?
Yeah, who knows why. The good news is that when you punch in someone's code, they'll get a request instead of playing this game of "Did you send it?" Furthermore, more options are set to be added like traditional friend requests through your Nintendo account, which...raises the question of why use friend codes in the first place.

Is the Switch region-locked?
Nope! Import to your heart's content. You can even switch regions on the eShop, BUT you will lose whatever current balance your account has in its current region. So spend your money first.

Can I connect to the TV using third-party USB-C cables?
No, for whatever reason the Switch must be docked to display on the TV.

Can I recharge the Switch using a portable power bank used for cell phones?
Depends on the amperage and voltage. There are now power banks specifically designed for the Switch, so I'd recommend those first. But those are pricey, so a phone one can work in a pinch. Just keep in mind that you will, at best, maintain battery while playing off a power bank. It just isn't strong enough to meet the wattage demands of the Switch. Power banks for laptops work better, but at that price point you may as well just get one guaranteed to work.

Which screen protector should I used?

Tempered glass. While plastic ones are cheaper, they themselves are prone to being easily scratched, which means you'll have to replace them every so often. On top of this, tempered glass feels better when using the touch screen, and they tend to be easier to apply (fewer bubbles). Tempered glass will set you back more cash, but you'll save more in the long run. Right now, amFilm is the screen of choice for most people.

How much memory does the Switch have?
32 GB, of which around 25 is usable. For reference, Breath of the Wild uses around 13GB. You can use micro-SD cards to expand the memory. Because Switch carts are so small, I recommend a micro-SD with plenty of memory, because Switch games will be large and it defeats the purpose of going digital if instead of 32GB carts you're just swapping 32GB SD cards. A Sandisk Ultra with 128GB of memory should last you a while.

Can the pro controller cable be used to charge the Switch?

Yes, the cable that comes with the Pro Controller can be used like any other USB to USB-C cable. Hook it up to power banks, charge your pro controller through your PC's USB ports: go wild.

Where's Virtual Console?

It's dead, Jim. There's been rumors of a VC successor, but as of E3 2019 only the Switch Online service offers classic Nintendo titles.

Does this mean end of the line for the 3DS/Wii U?

As of 2019, Nintendo has ended support for the Wii U and 3DS. Long live the Switch.

HgpHq3s.png
The Switch has games, making it a true revolution in the industry. Oh, and in case you missed it: the Switch is not region locked. You can create separate accounts for other regions and access their eShops there.

G&T Approved!
The following games are almost unanimously praised by the community. If you need a place to start, make it here.
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Snipperclips
Fast RMX
Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
Blaster Master Zero
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Tumbleseed
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Disgaea 5
ARMS
Splatoon 2
Sonic Mania
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
Pokkén Tournament DX
Fire Emblem Warriors
Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Doom
Steamworld Dig 2
Mummy Demastered
Has Been Heroes
Resident Evil Revelations I & II
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

But what other games are good?

There are a lot of games on the Switch and some of the good ones might slip past you. Not the obvious stuff like BotW and Odyssey, but the smaller gems that go unnoticed. With so many games getting released, it's hard to keep up. So the PA folks are gonna compile some mini-reviews of these great titles in the following format:

Name
Price (mention if digital only here)
Genres
Similar games
1-2 sentence review with pros and cons

For example:
Golf Story
$14.99 (eShop only)
Golf/RPG
Mario Golf GBA
A fun and addictive golfing game that has a lot of customization. Some of the NPC side quest stuff drags a bit, but not enough to ruin the fun. Highly recommended!

Penny Arcade mini-reviews:

Dresdenphile suggests:
  • Kamiko
  • $4.99 (eShop only)
  • Action
  • Zelda 1?
  • This short indie game tasks players — who control the titular priestess Kamiko — to take down demons and complete puzzles along the way, racking up combos. With 3 characters to choose from, each playthrough handles differently.

UncleSporky suggests:
  • Ultimate Chicken Horse
  • $15 (eShop only)
  • Multiplayer Competitive Platformer
  • Similar games: nothing really like it. Gang Beasts or Duck Game?
  • Players take turns adding wacky, dangerous pieces to a level to hopefully prevent others from reaching the flag, while not making it so impossible that they themselves can't make it. Amazing party game.

Jazz suggests:
  • Sega Ages Virtua Racing
  • $7.99 (eShop only)
  • Arcade racing
  • F1 meets Out Run, maybe?
  • Groundbreaking 1992 racing game from the early days of fast 3D in arcades. The Switch port is upgraded from the original arcade game, courtesy of retro wizards M2, with big performance improvements and even replicating the arcade's 8-player setup if you're so inclined. Great fun in short blasts without eating all your quarters!

Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page
MNC Dover on
Andy JoeJazz
«13456717

Posts

  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Shame that it doesn't look like we'll get an E3 Direct this year. But at least I've got enough Switch games right now to last until we actually get a new Direct.

    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    So the Blaster Master Zero games are fantastic and I've been wanting to have those physically.

    Bam, Limited Run delivered so I grabbed them both.

    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    MNC Doverjkylefulton
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    My mini-review looks so sad and lonely in the OP.

    steam_sig.png
    FiatilMNC DoverBrodyCaptain Inertia
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    • Ultimate Chicken Horse
    • $15 (eShop only)
    • Multiplayer Competitive Platformer
    • Similar games: nothing really like it. Gang Beasts or Duck Game?
    • Players take turns adding wacky, dangerous pieces to a level to hopefully prevent others from reaching the flag, while not making it so impossible that they themselves can't make it. Amazing party game.

    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    swaylowCaptain Inertia
  • JazzJazz Fuck cancer. Un-UKRegistered User regular
    Modest, unassuming little thread title there. :wink:

    MNC DoverAndy Joe
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    On the subject of Ryza it very quickly turned into a game that was impossible for me to find physical.

    The physical version on amazon while i was looking for it had shot up to around 200$ or so not sure what it's at now but the only one's when i was looking were those and the only store that had a copy for sale was over two hundred miles from my house so that was a bust.

    So i just grumbled and bought it digitally

  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    On the subject of Ryza it very quickly turned into a game that was impossible for me to find physical.

    The physical version on amazon while i was looking for it had shot up to around 200$ or so not sure what it's at now but the only one's when i was looking were those and the only store that had a copy for sale was over two hundred miles from my house so that was a bust.

    So i just grumbled and bought it digitally

    I didn't realize it was going to become super rare as I grabbed it when Best Buy had it on sales but after the sale was done it was gone and quickly removed from their site. Very strange the way that one worked.

    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Game Designer/Stay-at-home Dad Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    My mini-review looks so sad and lonely in the OP.

    Now it’s got a friend! But yeah, the OP could use a good cleaning.

    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Golf Story
    $14.99 (eShop only)
    Golf/RPG
    Mario Golf GBA
    A fun and addictive golfing game that has a lot of customization. Some of the NPC side quest stuff drags a bit, but not enough to ruin the fun. Highly recommended!

    That description doesn't really do the game justice. There's conventional golf-game golf involved, but most of your time will be spent wandering around the areas surrounding various course clubhouses. You can talk to NPCs who will give you challenges (usually involving making a number of accurate shots), but you can also tee off pretty much anywhere, in order to carry out tasks you need to do or to hunt for secrets that are scattered around. Also, the plot is ridiculously absurd.

  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Game Designer/Stay-at-home Dad Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Golf Story
    $14.99 (eShop only)
    Golf/RPG
    Mario Golf GBA
    A fun and addictive golfing game that has a lot of customization. Some of the NPC side quest stuff drags a bit, but not enough to ruin the fun. Highly recommended!

    That description doesn't really do the game justice. There's conventional golf-game golf involved, but most of your time will be spent wandering around the areas surrounding various course clubhouses. You can talk to NPCs who will give you challenges (usually involving making a number of accurate shots), but you can also tee off pretty much anywhere, in order to carry out tasks you need to do or to hunt for secrets that are scattered around. Also, the plot is ridiculously absurd.

    To be fair, I’ve never played Golf Story and just made that description up as an example. :biggrin:

    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    It's always the "Anime" games in my experience that show up and then vanish into the abyss never to be seen or heard from again.

  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2
    If you guys are looking for a nice, chill game to take your mind off things tonight I highly suggest Neo Cab.



    The soundtrack and atmosphere is perfect for a hot summer night. The subject matter is especially relevant at this time, and the visual novel style gameplay doesn't require any kind of intensive gaming skills.

    It's $19.99 on the eshop

    https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/neo-cab-switch/

    Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    cloudeagleStormwatcher
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    If you're thinking of buying Moonlighter currently i'd avoid buying the bundle it's marked at 30$ but the actual game is on sale right now for 10$ and the DLC that the bundle come's with is like 7$

  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    If you're thinking of buying Moonlighter currently i'd avoid buying the bundle it's marked at 30$ but the actual game is on sale right now for 10$ and the DLC that the bundle come's with is like 7$

    That's some high quality Steam Sale logic right there.

    BrainleechJazzurahonkyStormwatcher
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    We got my 3 year old a switch lite for animal crossing and I had a huge scare yesterday when he spilled a ton of chocolate milk on it and I didn’t know until hours later. At first it seemed to work and then it got stuck in in boot loop.


    Lo and behold, after letting it dry for 24 hours, it’s like nothing happened. I am so grateful that it still works. Not only would he have lost his whole island but it’s nearly impossible to get a switch now anyway.


    Anyway, thank God for Nintendium.

    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
    Handsome Costanza
  • AegeriAegeri Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I love my PS4 but damn is nothing keeping me away from Fire Emblem right now. What a great game.

    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    NaphtaliAnteCantelopeTurambar
  • urahonkyurahonky Dayton, OHRegistered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    If you're thinking of buying Moonlighter currently i'd avoid buying the bundle it's marked at 30$ but the actual game is on sale right now for 10$ and the DLC that the bundle come's with is like 7$

    Is it any good? It sounds like it has a good feedback loop that I'd enjoy but I haven't heard anyone talking about it.

  • finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Zunde wrote: »
    If you're thinking of buying Moonlighter currently i'd avoid buying the bundle it's marked at 30$ but the actual game is on sale right now for 10$ and the DLC that the bundle come's with is like 7$

    Is it any good? It sounds like it has a good feedback loop that I'd enjoy but I haven't heard anyone talking about it.

    It's a little frontloaded in the difficulty, but I had a great time with it! Only played the base game, not the DLC. Art, atmosphere, and music were the real highlights for me.

  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Sigh I think I got the joycon drift. Is it fixed on the new ones?

    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Sigh I think I got the joycon drift. Is it fixed on the new ones?

    Nope!

    Good luck finding them anyway...

    lionheart_m
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Sigh I think I got the joycon drift. Is it fixed on the new ones?

    Nope!

    Good luck finding them anyway...

    yeah...just noticed they're selling for over a 100$ on Amazon. Yipee...nice timing.

    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Nintendo repair centers are largely still closed. They're in the process of reopening but I wouldn't expect anything resembling a timely turnaround if you can even get them to service it.

    If you have any electronics repair experience it's not a difficult repair to just get a new set of sticks off ebay and do it yourself, just mind the very small ribbon cables.

    Road Block
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Nintendo repair centers are largely still closed. They're in the process of reopening but I wouldn't expect anything resembling a timely turnaround if you can even get them to service it.

    If you have any electronics repair experience it's not a difficult repair to just get a new set of sticks off ebay and do it yourself, just mind the very small ribbon cables.

    Yeah, I've killed a replacement stick by pinching too hard on the cable. I really wish the connection points were easier to work with, I wonder if there's some kind of specialized tool for that sort of thing? I can't see workers having to put things together the same way consumers do without high rates of error.

    lionheart_m
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Zunde wrote: »
    If you're thinking of buying Moonlighter currently i'd avoid buying the bundle it's marked at 30$ but the actual game is on sale right now for 10$ and the DLC that the bundle come's with is like 7$

    Is it any good? It sounds like it has a good feedback loop that I'd enjoy but I haven't heard anyone talking about it.

    It's fun but it has some minor crashing issues.

  • ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    edited June 3
    • Ultimate Chicken Horse
    • $15 (eShop only)
    • Multiplayer Competitive Platformer
    • Similar games: nothing really like it. Gang Beasts or Duck Game?
    • Players take turns adding wacky, dangerous pieces to a level to hopefully prevent others from reaching the flag, while not making it so impossible that they themselves can't make it. Amazing party game.

    In addition to being a great game, it is very simple to pick up and have fun. I played this quite a bit with my nephew and his friend when I was last in Brazil. I don't speak Portuguese (yet), but we were able to all have fun with Ultimate Chicken Horse despite the language barrier.

    ThePantsAssociation on
    Switch friend code: SW-1950-3244-0236
    Pokemon Go be my friend: 7527 9731 3512
  • urahonkyurahonky Dayton, OHRegistered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Zunde wrote: »
    If you're thinking of buying Moonlighter currently i'd avoid buying the bundle it's marked at 30$ but the actual game is on sale right now for 10$ and the DLC that the bundle come's with is like 7$

    Is it any good? It sounds like it has a good feedback loop that I'd enjoy but I haven't heard anyone talking about it.

    It's fun but it has some minor crashing issues.

    Oh apparently I own it on Steam somehow lol

  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    So Konami released a new metroidvania yesterday, Skelattack. Certainly looks interesting aside from the shock of Konami releasing anything these days

    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • MorranMorran Registered User regular
    In case someone missed this: drifting joycon sticks might be solved by using contact cleaner (WD40 seems to be recommended online, I used another domestic brand). I tried this and it solved both my drifting left sticks. Not sure if this is a temporary or permanent fix, but worth a shot in case you are vary of disassemble your controller.

    ChiselphaneKai_Sanlionheart_m
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    So Konami released a new metroidvania yesterday, Skelattack. Certainly looks interesting aside from the shock of Konami releasing anything these days

    And that rare release had about the worst timing it could possibly have. Oh Konami, you crazy scamps.

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • ForceVoidForceVoid Registered User regular
    Morran wrote: »
    In case someone missed this: drifting joycon sticks might be solved by using contact cleaner (WD40 seems to be recommended online, I used another domestic brand). I tried this and it solved both my drifting left sticks. Not sure if this is a temporary or permanent fix, but worth a shot in case you are vary of disassemble your controller.

    How does this work? Dose the stick, wiggle it around?

  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    It's always the "Anime" games in my experience that show up and then vanish into the abyss never to be seen or heard from again.

    Yeah, they tend to have fanbases dedicated enough to warrant a physical run, but that aren't very large (just high attach rate). Thus the physical runs are small and run out quickly.

  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited June 3
    jothki wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Nintendo repair centers are largely still closed. They're in the process of reopening but I wouldn't expect anything resembling a timely turnaround if you can even get them to service it.

    If you have any electronics repair experience it's not a difficult repair to just get a new set of sticks off ebay and do it yourself, just mind the very small ribbon cables.

    Yeah, I've killed a replacement stick by pinching too hard on the cable. I really wish the connection points were easier to work with, I wonder if there's some kind of specialized tool for that sort of thing? I can't see workers having to put things together the same way consumers do without high rates of error.

    There are, but it's not something that would be provided to you by the ebay seller.

    Donnicton on
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    The PS4 metacritic on skelattack isn't great so, not sure people are missing anything. Maybe wait on more reviews.

    Meanwhile Shantae + Seven Sirens is a just released Metroidvania enjoying an 85 and I just finished it and its totally awesome. Within the series I'd rank it above half-genie hero and just below Pirate's Curse. Or check this "objective" 9/10 review if you need one of those.

  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited June 3
    How reliable is GoldenCasino? I wouldn't doubt this, considering the stock in retail locations, but wow.

    https://goldencasinonews.com/blog/2020/06/01/nintendo-switch-sales-jumped-60%-in-a-year-reaching-557-million-sold-units-in-march/
    By the end of February 2020, the number of sold Nintendo Switch units rose to 51.5 million worldwide. However, with a global surge in video games playing amid coronavirus lockdown, a new 4.2 million units of the popular console were sold in March only, with the combined number reaching 55.7 million.

    edit: Really curious where these numbers are coming from since GoldenCasino isn't linking sources, and every other news site is just citing them as a source.

    edit2: Regardless, Nintendo's own financial report says they sold (to customers, not just to distribution) 7.67 million units from Jan-Mar 2020 in NA alone. 18.1mil "Worldwide" (Japan, NA, EU)

    ArcSyn on
    mHn29NG.png
  • MorranMorran Registered User regular
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Morran wrote: »
    In case someone missed this: drifting joycon sticks might be solved by using contact cleaner (WD40 seems to be recommended online, I used another domestic brand). I tried this and it solved both my drifting left sticks. Not sure if this is a temporary or permanent fix, but worth a shot in case you are vary of disassemble your controller.

    How does this work? Dose the stick, wiggle it around?

    Yep! Lift the rubber skirt at the base of the joycon, spray just a tiny bit of cleaner and move the stick around for a bit. Let it dry out for an hour or so and you're good to go. It's not recommend to have the joycon powered on before drying out.

    ForceVoid
  • DaringDirkDaringDirk Father of Nearly Two! Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Morran wrote: »
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Morran wrote: »
    In case someone missed this: drifting joycon sticks might be solved by using contact cleaner (WD40 seems to be recommended online, I used another domestic brand). I tried this and it solved both my drifting left sticks. Not sure if this is a temporary or permanent fix, but worth a shot in case you are vary of disassemble your controller.

    How does this work? Dose the stick, wiggle it around?

    Yep! Lift the rubber skirt at the base of the joycon, spray just a tiny bit of cleaner and move the stick around for a bit. Let it dry out for an hour or so and you're good to go. It's not recommend to have the joycon powered on before drying out.

    Just a can of WD40, huh? Might do that to my neon set that's drifting, currently using the grey cons from Switch release day that are working fine. Pretty sure my drifting started due to KidGrime. Keep special electronics away from toddlers, folks.

    camo_sig2.png
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    FYI that Waterfield is back open for business. The Switch Lite case I ordered showed up today and it's wonderful. The site images don't really convey how quality this thing is (which for the price it damn well better be lol). I went with the pouch for the Lite, for an OG I would recommend the Pack for the extra space. I *can* fit an OG in the pouch but it's a tighter fit than I'd be comfortable with for frequent use.

    https://www.sfbags.com/collections/gaming-cases/products/nintendo-switch-pouch

    RidleySariaHandsome Costanza
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Also try this along with the above:

    From the main menu choose Controllers
    Choose Find Controllers
    Press a button on your controller with the problem and wiggle the stick around/click it in as it vibrates full blast (you'll probably move the selection around in the process but it'll still get a lot of vibration)

    People have reported this helps dislodge whatever junk might be under the stick.

    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    How reliable is GoldenCasino? I wouldn't doubt this, considering the stock in retail locations, but wow.

    https://goldencasinonews.com/blog/2020/06/01/nintendo-switch-sales-jumped-60%-in-a-year-reaching-557-million-sold-units-in-march/
    By the end of February 2020, the number of sold Nintendo Switch units rose to 51.5 million worldwide. However, with a global surge in video games playing amid coronavirus lockdown, a new 4.2 million units of the popular console were sold in March only, with the combined number reaching 55.7 million.

    edit: Really curious where these numbers are coming from since GoldenCasino isn't linking sources, and every other news site is just citing them as a source.

    edit2: Regardless, Nintendo's own financial report says they sold (to customers, not just to distribution) 7.67 million units from Jan-Mar 2020 in NA alone. 18.1mil "Worldwide" (Japan, NA, EU)

    We already know March Switch sales were double that of March last year in the US, so that figure is potentially in the ballpark.

    Still, worldwide sales numbers? Either they're leaking an embargoed Nintendo press release or they're making shit up.

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Nitsua
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    Morran wrote: »
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Morran wrote: »
    In case someone missed this: drifting joycon sticks might be solved by using contact cleaner (WD40 seems to be recommended online, I used another domestic brand). I tried this and it solved both my drifting left sticks. Not sure if this is a temporary or permanent fix, but worth a shot in case you are vary of disassemble your controller.

    How does this work? Dose the stick, wiggle it around?

    Yep! Lift the rubber skirt at the base of the joycon, spray just a tiny bit of cleaner and move the stick around for a bit. Let it dry out for an hour or so and you're good to go. It's not recommend to have the joycon powered on before drying out.

    Just a can of WD40, huh? Might do that to my neon set that's drifting, currently using the grey cons from Switch release day that are working fine. Pretty sure my drifting started due to KidGrime. Keep special electronics away from toddlers, folks.

    Do NOT use WD40! At least not the bog standard blue can you're probably thinking of. Everybody says it'll just make it oily and attract more dirt.

    What you specifically want is "Electrical contact cleaner". There is a specific version of WD40 that is that, and that's safe. But make sure it's "Electrical contact cleaner".

    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    PSN: TheWolfman64 3DS/Pokemon Y: 0774-4614-4065/NNID: the_wolfman64
    ForceVoidArcSynBahamutZEROMalakaiusrahkeesh2000CalicaakjakNitsua
Sign In or Register to comment.