As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!!

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    People always get themselves set up for this, they hype themselves on stuff that is unconfirmed and then get mad when it isn't exactly what they wanted. Most people expected a Let's Go 2 (gen 2 remake) which tbh sounds awful even as someone who loves Gen 2 the most, or just another by-the-numbers remake of the Diamond Pearl Gen in the SwSh engine (which probably still gonna happen but not any time soon)

Obviously you're wrong. This is the Pokemon Company's way to spit in the face of every single gamer that has played video games or thought about it.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    People always get themselves set up for this, they hype themselves on stuff that is unconfirmed and then get mad when it isn't exactly what they wanted. Most people expected a Let's Go 2 (gen 2 remake) which tbh sounds awful even as someone who loves Gen 2 the most, or just another by-the-numbers remake of the Diamond Pearl Gen in the SwSh engine (which probably still gonna happen but not any time soon)

Obviously you're wrong. This is the Pokemon Company's way to spit in the face of every single gamer that has played video games or thought about it.

You're being dramatic, but I'm even less impressed by Sword and Shield now that we've found out those resources went to a DOTA-style game, YEARS after the MOBA bubble burst.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Gamers gonna gamer.

This is what I thought at first. Then I watched the trailer and read the comments below it and realized Tencent is involved.

Yeah, no. I want to do what I can to avoid supporting China, and this company in particular.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    To be fair I don't mind Pokemon spinoffs, when done well they're very good. But it does hurt to see the shine on a game like the Fighting DX or this MOBA game that wasn't invested into the mainline games. It's a weird thing where I'd say most Pokemon fans are content to play the same game forever, kinda like Animal Crossing fans. Yes, there's small improvements each time, but nothing that really blows us away. The wild area in the DLC of SwSh runs much better than the main wild area in the base game. It just shows that lack of polish that isn't excusable for a game that is the face of a multi billion dollar franchise

But again, it's a kids game, so it's gonna do well even if the game runs like ass and isn't even a fraction as exciting as something like the incredible Breath of the Wild or Mario Oddysey

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    To be fair I don't mind Pokemon spinoffs, when done well they're very good. But it does hurt to see the shine on a game like the Fighting DX or this MOBA game that wasn't invested into the mainline games. It's a weird thing where I'd say most Pokemon fans are content to play the same game forever, kinda like Animal Crossing fans. Yes, there's small improvements each time, but nothing that really blows us away. The wild area in the DLC of SwSh runs much better than the main wild area in the base game. It just shows that lack of polish that isn't excusable for a game that is the face of a multi billion dollar franchise

But again, it's a kids game, so it's gonna do well even if the game runs like ass and isn't even a fraction as exciting as something like the incredible Breath of the Wild or Mario Oddysey

Pokemon is developed like shit and the people who complain are mocked or called overdramatic or bundled in to general "gamers are bad" culture. It's extremely toxic.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Pokemon is the highest grossing media franchise of all time (higher than Star Wars, Marvel, you name it) and mainline games tend to get a fraction of the polish of games like Assassin's Creed or the Witcher or even flawed-but-great games like Skyrim.

Imagine if they invested Last-of-Us-2-level money and care into a mainline Pokemon.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    wait so i'm not allowed to dislike the announcement of a pokemon moba?

Where do I sign up for the "acceptable opinion" newsletter?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Pokemon is the highest grossing media franchise of all time (higher than Star Wars, Marvel, you name it) and mainline games tend to get a fraction of the polish of games like Assassin's Creed or the Witcher or even flawed-but-great games like Skyrim.

Imagine if they invested Last-of-Us-2-level money and care into a mainline Pokemon.

Eh, define "polish". Because I would not hesitate in saying the average Pokemon game has more polish than the average Assassin's Creed game. I mean I know what you're trying to get at. But I dunno, while I think Pokemon games could use a little... "more" to them, AAA stuff like AC can tend to be overdesigned.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    There's a middle ground there. Nintendo is still in 2002 as far as how to handle online in their tentpole titles. Finding a trade room in Pokemon or island hopping in AC is a joke.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    And by that same token, they're undeniably knocking it out of the park with the Switch in terms of popularity. Clearly all this stuff isn't as important to people as some might suggest.

There's a middle ground in general for everything they do. Would I like it if they shifted their design philosophy more towards the Sony/MS spectrum? Yeah sure. Sony/MS however don't have the capacity to even think of something resembling Labo. Or Ring Fit. That's sort of why I personally am willing to give them more slack on some things.

Incidentally, Walmart in Canada has a few Labo kits on clearance for $20. The nihilist will say "Well that's just proof the whole thing was shit and never took off", and... yeah that's a valid take on it. But goddamn do I still love the thing. Picked up the vehicle kit and having a hoot. Honestly, I think building the things is 90% of the fun. Even if I know this stuff is probably going to go right in the closet with its other cardboard siblings, I don't care. My week is pretty much set.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Yeah to be clear my post about spitting in the face was obviously satire. Our culture is weird in that if they don't make a game that caters to my exact tastes then obviously they hate me and everything I've done in life.

I'm not saying anyone here is like that. But I am glad that I blocked the Pokémon subreddit when Sword/Shield was released. I can only imagine how it looks today.

P. S. FUCK Tencent.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    There's a middle ground there. Nintendo is still in 2002 as far as how to handle online in their tentpole titles. Finding a trade room in Pokemon or island hopping in AC is a joke.

Keeping in mind of course that The Pokemon Company is a separate entity. There are other third/second party Switch games with much better online support and features.
    There's a middle ground in general for everything they do. Would I like it if they shifted their design philosophy more towards the Sony/MS spectrum? Yeah sure. Sony/MS however don't have the capacity to even think of something resembling Labo. Or Ring Fit. That's sort of why I personally am willing to give them more slack on some things.

I don't want to conflate the two too much. The Pokemon Company need to do a better job with their games, but I'm not sure I would say Nintendo as a whole needs to gravitate towards Sony's philosophies.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Nintendo still has a huge stake in The Pokemon Company and given the storied history of Nintendo devs stepping in to help push Pokemon titles out, it's very much only been a success because Nintendo saw the potential in it to begin with.

And yes, Nintendo does things other companies don't, and they deserve to be praised for what they do right, and also take some heat for the things they let slide. Much like Disney, they have what feels like a winning formula with strong quality control, but still feels old fashioned in ways that are both good and bad, or somewhere in between.

Pokemon and Animal Crossing are monster hits and despite hardcore fans criticisms, they're still incredible games. I'm not discounting that. But there's a reason there's a whole indie scene brewing of Pokemon, AC, Smach Brothers, etc clones that have good netcode/social tools, fan requested features, and more. Personally things like BotW are so engaging because it didn't feel like a regular Zelda game, it allowed players freedom to do what they wanted for the most part. That's the kind of thing Pokemon fans have wanted for decades, and to hand wave it away because the sales numbers are big is pretty lame.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Anyone try Ninjala? I just noticed it launched today. Downloading it now.

Edit: Servers don't go live until 9pm Central. Guess I got another 2 hours before I'm unable to log in because of congestion.

Renzo on
  • Options
    borschevskyborschevsky Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Incidentally, Walmart in Canada has a few Labo kits on clearance for $20. The nihilist will say "Well that's just proof the whole thing was shit and never took off", and... yeah that's a valid take on it. But goddamn do I still love the thing. Picked up the vehicle kit and having a hoot. Honestly, I think building the things is 90% of the fun. Even if I know this stuff is probably going to go right in the closet with its other cardboard siblings, I don't care. My week is pretty much set.
    Labo is the best. For our kids’ birthdays & Christmas we almost always get them some Lego kit or other, and if there were new Labo kits we’d buy them every year too.

borschevsky on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Yeah to be clear my post about spitting in the face was obviously satire. Our culture is weird in that if they don't make a game that caters to my exact tastes then obviously they hate me and everything I've done in life.

I'm not saying anyone here is like that. But I am glad that I blocked the Pokémon subreddit when Sword/Shield was released. I can only imagine how it looks today.

P. S. FUCK Tencent.

We're gonna have to get used to the fact that the biggest company in the world out of the biggest country in the world is involved in making games.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    We're gonna have to get used to the fact that the biggest company in the world out of the biggest country in the world is involved in making games.

In context this seems to mean that we have no choice but to support Tencent? Like "crap, they made a Pokemon game, and I have to play all the Pokemon games. Well darn."

Or are you more concerned about people saying "fuck Tencent?" That we just need to get used to it because we can't say "fuck Tencent" forever?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

In context this seems to mean that we have no choice but to support Tencent? Like "crap, they made a Pokemon game, and I have to play all the Pokemon games. Well darn."

Or are you more concerned about people saying "fuck Tencent?" That we just need to get used to it because we can't say "fuck Tencent" forever?

The latter. They're not going to just stop putting their fingers in that pie.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular

The latter. They're not going to just stop putting their fingers in that pie.

Consumers gonna consume, but woke folk gotta be woke, too. It's anyone's right to not buy something based on moral objections, and to try to convince others to do the same.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Nintendo still has a huge stake in The Pokemon Company and given the storied history of Nintendo devs stepping in to help push Pokemon titles out, it's very much only been a success because Nintendo saw the potential in it to begin with.

And yes, Nintendo does things other companies don't, and they deserve to be praised for what they do right, and also take some heat for the things they let slide. Much like Disney, they have what feels like a winning formula with strong quality control, but still feels old fashioned in ways that are both good and bad, or somewhere in between.

Pokemon and Animal Crossing are monster hits and despite hardcore fans criticisms, they're still incredible games. I'm not discounting that. But there's a reason there's a whole indie scene brewing of Pokemon, AC, Smach Brothers, etc clones that have good netcode/social tools, fan requested features, and more. Personally things like BotW are so engaging because it didn't feel like a regular Zelda game, it allowed players freedom to do what they wanted for the most part. That's the kind of thing Pokemon fans have wanted for decades, and to hand wave it away because the sales numbers are big is pretty lame.

Nintendo is a third of the Pokemon Company, and while they have influence, The Pokemon Company very much does its own thing. For instance, it just came out that Nintendo is probably done making mobile apps, while The Pokemon Company keeps cranking them out. I just checked the iOS app store, and there's twelve official Pokemon apps. There's even one starring Magikarp, fer chrissake. (It's actually pretty good!)

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    ...okay, I tried Googling it, but I can't find the answer. Why are we fucking Tencent? Is it because they're from China, or is it because they make cell phone games, or is it because they actually did something bad?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    wait so i'm not allowed to dislike the announcement of a pokemon moba?

Where do I sign up for the "acceptable opinion" newsletter?

zombo.com

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Nintendo is a third of the Pokemon Company, and while they have influence, The Pokemon Company very much does its own thing. For instance, it just came out that Nintendo is probably done making mobile apps, while The Pokemon Company keeps cranking them out. I just checked the iOS app store, and there's twelve official Pokemon apps. There's even one starring Magikarp, fer chrissake. (It's actually pretty good!)

After success of PoGo, they'd be stupid not to be making more apps. Nintendo proper making apps was an outlier in the first place, and while they may feel done with their phone games, I see kids playing Mario Kart and Mario Run all the damn time on their phones. It's just one more way to keep kids engaged with their brands, and more kids have access to phones than Switches.

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    Oh, if you're curious, this week's Pokemon announcement was Pokemon Unite, a MOBA like League of Legends. It's on Switch, iOS and Android, and has cross-play between them.

For years I've been thinking that a console MOBA is a great idea. You only need a few buttons for abilities and control sticks would work just fine for movement. It's an even better idea on the switch with it's touchscreen.

Given that it's pokemon Nintendo may have a biiig winner on their hands. I don't think it's going to touch the popularity of LoL or DOTA, but I think there is market space for a MOBA on a portable console.

Smite has been on Switch for a while, although that was a moba ported from pc

• Options
    ...okay, I tried Googling it, but I can't find the answer. Why are we fucking Tencent? Is it because they're from China, or is it because they make cell phone games, or is it because they actually did something bad?

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/opinion/2019/03/28/commentary/world-commentary/worried-huawei-take-closer-look-tencent/
    Regardless of whether Tencent is a reluctant or an eager accomplice to the Chinese government’s repressive policies, the reality is that Tencent employees can be expected to censor, monitor and report private communications and personal data, in many cases leading to innocent people’s arrest and torture. This should be the starting point for anyone considering using, regulating, or investing in the company’s services.

Besides contributing to human rights abuses, on just a basic gaming level their games are often considered full of predatory practices, one of those who perfected how to extract the maximum amount of money from people.

They're also buying up everything in sight, which is concerning. Huge stake in Epic. Just in the last few months they bought stakes in the biggest music companies in the world, UMG and Warner. Who can say what level of influence they might have on pressuring these companies not to do or say anything critical of the Chinese government?

And you can say "who cares, everybody does it, all the big companies are bad," but any action taken is better than none at all. I don't own any Oculus products because of Facebook. I have Diablo 3 on Switch and I've got friends who've been playing it and talking about the latest seasons, but I wrote off Blizzard due to their handling of the Hong Kong situation and won't even be glancing at any future Warcraft or Diablo projects. It is literally the least I can do, I have plenty of other things that can occupy my time.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    So I've been playing Let's Go Pikachu in handheld mode and my left joycon stick is definitely fucked up. Half the time I tilt it to the upper left, I can't make my character run, which is really annoying! Is there an easy fix for this or is this included in the dreaded joycon drift?

Are there any flat out better replacements for joycons around now a days? I have a pro controller, but let's go pikachu doesn't let you use that for some insane reason.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Are there any flat out better replacements for joycons around now a days? I have a pro controller, but let's go pikachu doesn't let you use that for some insane reason.

If you can deal with a chunky beast, Hori Split Pad Pro. Handheld only, though.

jpg

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Ooh, I like the look of that, but can it dock with that thing? Small hassle, I guess.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Yes you can! Its completely out of the way of the official dock.

As I thought was well known, its lacking gyro, rumble, NFC, and wireless. But its got some real big everything.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Big Joystick Energy

Or rather:

Big 'Stick Energy

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options

As I thought was well known, its lacking gyro, rumble, NFC, and wireless. But its got some real big everything.

Hrm, no rumble or gyro is probably a deal breaker for me unfortunately.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Hrm, no rumble or gyro is probably a deal breaker for me unfortunately.

Yeah I was really into it until I hit no gyro and...nope, I'm out. Too important to too many games, not worth swapping back and forth.

• Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

Thank you for reminding me this existed. My launch joycon finally started to drift, and I've got an Amazon gift card from father's day just sitting there.

Things I love about Switch:
    1) Pro Controller
    2) Everything else

Things I genuinely could not care less about:
    1) Motion controls
    2) Rumble
    3) NFC

This is perfect.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    Okay another question. My home has two switches, a normal, and a lite. The normal is mine, the lite is my wife's.

Before we got the lite, she had played stuff on the normal, including pokemon. She bought Let's go pikachu on her account, but I've been playing it on my account. I'd like to do some pokemon trading so I can evolve some stuff but I want to make sure I don't delete any of her stuff. We never did the data transfer from one switch to another, but it looks like I can transfer her data from my switch to her switch. But I want to make sure this isn't going to delete any data, such as her animal crossing save.

Also, will we be able to both play Let's Go at the same time and even trade pokemon perhaps? Not a deal breaker, I can always buy one of us Eevee if we need, but it'd be nice. Mainly worried about getting her saves over to the lite without deleting existing data.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Is the Pokemon DLC actually any good? I hate how boring and unchallenging the main game is - will the DLC actually give me interesting things to battle with my pokemans?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    I like what I've played so far, but challenging is not what I'd call it. Usually stuff like the battle tower and post game stuff is where the actual challenge is.

• Options
    Some of gym battles at the end can be a little rough. And the raids... Although that's primarily because of how the multiplayer is handled. Not sure if it's been fixed (I have my guess) since I've not played since release.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Voxelgram.

Who is playing Voxelgram here? I am deeply enjoying scratching the Picross 3D itch but I honestly don't know if I've ever struggle so much with camera controls. Especially in some of the more complex puzzles it's tough to see wtf is going on. Am I just stupid and doing something wrong? Is there a zoom in button?

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Every once in awhile, I see people talk about a possible Switch 2 like its going to be announced this year or the next which seems really bizarre to me.

The Switch was literally released just three years ago. It ain't going nowhere.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Though a Switch Pro might be a thing? In any case I'm enjoying what I have right now. I don't need a new one just yet.