As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!!

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    TimFiji wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Kriegaffe wrote: »
    Octopath is a lot of content for those $60. At worst, like $1.50/hour of entertainment.

That’s assuming one doesn’t give up on it before the 40 hour mark (like I did).

I love JRPGs and I couldn't get through more than 10 hours of that game. I don't know what it was really, because it's a well constructed JRPG, but it just bored me to tears and I absolutely hated the exhausting "old timey" speech the characters use. Plus having to do multiple combats at low levels whenever you pick up a character is just kind of grating much quicker than I expected it to end up being.

I should give the game another chance, but I have so many good games to play now...

The huntress is the worst part of the game.

You misspelled 'best'

Fite me!
    Octopath Traveler was a GREAT experience. The music, the visuals, and the combat were all ace for me.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    How is XCOM 2 on Switch? Apparently physical version is lowest price ever right now. I played classic XCOM back in the day, and the reboot on my 360.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Octopath is a lot of content for those $60. At worst, like $1.50/hour of entertainment.

I love JRPGs and I couldn't get through more than 10 hours of that game. I don't know what it was really, because it's a well constructed JRPG, but it just bored me to tears and I absolutely hated the exhausting "old timey" speech the characters use. Plus having to do multiple combats at low levels whenever you pick up a character is just kind of grating much quicker than I expected it to end up being.

I should give the game another chance, but I have so many good games to play now...

The route I took through the game started with Ophilia (the healer) and got Cyrus (the mage) next, going clockwise. This can be a bit of a slow start combat-wise, when your only character is a weak healer and then your next is a weak caster, however I felt like this route starts you off with a lot of strong weakness targeting abilities that gets you set off right. You want a healer early on; you don't want to have to double-back to pick her up; Cyrus has Analyze for detecting enemy weaknesses which is a focus throughout the game, and he also learns a skill that reduces enemy encounter rate! Starting off with this utility in your team makes the rest of the game smoother.

Plus Cyrus has a cool story setup, and not long after him there's Olberic and Primrose, other strong contenders.

Alternative start: Therion the thief, because that means you will never have to backtrack through the game to open locked chests.

I know that a lot of people don't like how individual the stories felt and that there wasn't a lot of unity in what was happening in the world, but I loved the whole game. I love mini-stories, similar to Dragon Quest, where it's "solve this town and move on." More worldbuilding and hopefully fewer cliches about evil god is gonna destroy the world blah blah blah. In some ways the game felt like episodes of a good JRPG TV show.

Later mechanics get more engaging too, at least for me. I don't know if it would be a spoiler for some to talk about them. But there's a lot of variety in character builds and some "aha" moments in how some abilities synergize with others and make really powerful teams.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Fry wrote: »
    How is XCOM 2 on Switch? Apparently physical version is lowest price ever right now. I played classic XCOM back in the day, and the reboot on my 360.

I've heard it's a surprisingly good port, but with progressively longer load times as you go through the game (40+ seconds). I think this was even true back on PC but it's exacerbated on the Switch. It had a few notable bugs when it first released but a few days ago had a patch that fixed them.

The Switch has had some pretty disastrous crashy ports in the past for various games and this is not one of them, it sounds like it's admirable. There are reviews that even say it's more stable than the PS4 version (obviously nowhere near as pretty).

Even owning the physical version though requires 24 gigs of storage, plus however big the save file is. The space requirements end up not far off of having it digital.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The expansion solved the load time issue on PC, for the most part.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

You misspelled 'best'

Fiten me!
    Octopath Traveler was a GREAT experience. The music, the visuals, and the combat were all ace for me.

FTFY.

They went absolutely overboard with Ha'anit's accent, but... eh, I can forgive that one misstep in a great game.

Well, the other misstep has to do with the postgame being a bit dumb. But eh.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Maybe I should try again, but I just can't stand the old timey speech and it's just so poorly written. Nothing grabbed me at all about any of the characters, noting I did start with the Huntress. I'm blanking entirely on what I did after that.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Donnicton wrote: »
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Disgaea 2 allowed you to buy out half of the demon council to the point where the other half had basically no voice, effectively giving you control over the game.

It was the most true to life thing Disgaea ever did.

Every Disgaea lets you do that.

Not to the extent that you could do it in 2.

What mechanic exactly are you referring to here? 3, 4, 5, and D2 are all way more egregious in their ways to circumvent/get around the council.

I didn't make it very far into the game either. Partway through picking up the fifth character I think, and at that point, I'd had enough. So many things rubbed me the wrong way, but particularly the combat system and dungeon designs. I kept thinking "So... when we going to expand on this?" and it never came, and I checked some later boss fight videos and... yeah. Pulled the plug right there.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I was extremely disappointed in that Octopath is 8 entirely separate stories that don't overlap outside of some really tacked on and easily missable optional inn banter and that there's no real sense of 'party'. Everyone's only together for purely gameplay conceits. Also it has some really serious 'Guide Dang It' in finding the shrines to unlock your second classes that are such a big part of the gameplay post everyone's literal intro.

The combat and the music is really good though and that's enough to carry it for most.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Disgaea 2 allowed you to buy out half of the demon council to the point where the other half had basically no voice, effectively giving you control over the game.

What mechanic exactly are you referring to here? 3, 4, 5, and D2 are all way more egregious in their ways to circumvent/get around the council.

"I want more voice" bills on three pocket parties and just drown the rival parties out outright every time. Stack some felonies if you want it even more braindead. Might not be as "egregious" as later titles but blindingly simple and straightforward does the job just fine.

You misspelled 'best'

Fite me!

While I liked all of that, my main issues with Octopath ended up being based on regressive mechanics decisions they backslid into after Bravely Default. Still random encounters for some reason but now they're back to not letting you adjust the encounter rate at all, no backline experience, locking the 1st slot character's position until you cleared their story, additional endgame gear is a 1% drop rate from challenge, etc. just little ???why??? time waster decisions that didn't need to be there.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Has anyone here bought the flip grip? I sort of want one to go with my pinball but was wondering how secure they are in terms of how well the system and Joy Cons click in.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

"I want more voice" bills on three pocket parties and just drown the rival parties out outright every time. Stack some felonies if you want it even more braindead. Might not be as "egregious" as later titles but blindingly simple and straightforward does the job just fine.

You misspelled 'best'

Fite me!

While I liked all of that, my main issues with Octopath ended up being based on regressive mechanics decisions they backslid into after Bravely Default. Still random encounters for some reason but now they're back to not letting you adjust the encounter rate at all, no backline experience, locking the 1st slot character's position until you cleared their story, additional endgame gear is a 1% drop rate from challenge, etc. just little ???why??? time waster decisions that didn't need to be there.

Yep. It makes me want to re-buy it on Steam sometime and just Cheat Engine my way through it.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    I was extremely disappointed in that Octopath is 8 entirely separate stories that don't overlap outside of some really tacked on and easily missable optional inn banter and that there's no real sense of 'party'. Everyone's only together for purely gameplay conceits. Also it has some really serious 'Guide Dang It' in finding the shrines to unlock your second classes that are such a big part of the gameplay post everyone's literal intro.

The combat and the music is really good though and that's enough to carry it for most.

Eh, the shrines are all marked on the map, so it's pretty easy to get them all.

The only real unmarked thing is the post game super boss, but owell.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    That definative version of Dragon Quest XI annoys me. I had it on the PS4.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

They're updating the other versions with that content.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

No, not updating. You have to rebuy it at $40. Also, sadly, while it has the new Switch content it's also a graphical downgrade from the original PS4 and PC releases even in this release on the same platforms as there was more changed than just texture swaps.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

The route I took through the game started with Ophilia (the healer) and got Cyrus (the mage) next, going clockwise. This can be a bit of a slow start combat-wise, when your only character is a weak healer and then your next is a weak caster, however I felt like this route starts you off with a lot of strong weakness targeting abilities that gets you set off right. You want a healer early on; you don't want to have to double-back to pick her up; Cyrus has Analyze for detecting enemy weaknesses which is a focus throughout the game, and he also learns a skill that reduces enemy encounter rate! Starting off with this utility in your team makes the rest of the game smoother.

Plus Cyrus has a cool story setup, and not long after him there's Olberic and Primrose, other strong contenders.

Alternative start: Therion the thief, because that means you will never have to backtrack through the game to open locked chests.

I know that a lot of people don't like how individual the stories felt and that there wasn't a lot of unity in what was happening in the world, but I loved the whole game. I love mini-stories, similar to Dragon Quest, where it's "solve this town and move on." More worldbuilding and hopefully fewer cliches about evil god is gonna destroy the world blah blah blah. In some ways the game felt like episodes of a good JRPG TV show.

Later mechanics get more engaging too, at least for me. I don't know if it would be a spoiler for some to talk about them. But there's a lot of variety in character builds and some "aha" moments in how some abilities synergize with others and make really powerful teams.

The one problem with this JRPG TV show approach is that the game's tone is all over the place. One should never go from Primrose's story straight to Tressa's, simply because the difference in mood would be extremely jarring.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    Hmm, you guys aren’t making this easy with picking which Disgaea to buy!!

They are on sale on the eshop, btw, which is why I was asking

They've each got their pluses and minuses, and different people like different things. People have been pointing out what they like and what they don't like about each one. It's not a numerical review or a ranking that you're after, that won't exist in this situation because it's purely opinion based rather than some sort of metrics-backed conclusion. Some people will legit like one more than the rest for a different reason than someone else. Which opinions or comments speak to what you like or dislike? Make your choice from there. None of them are terribad experiences.

Haha yeah dude, I understand how opinions work

I was just being silly, I was kinda hoping there would be a clear victor, like “should I buy Devil May Cry 2 or 3” pretty much has a single answer, but I see that is not the case here

I do really appreciate all the feedback. I beat the original Disgaea, so I’m familiar with it for sure. I’m thinking 4 is the way to go, I’m sure I’ll be fine without the quality updates of 5

I need to learn to use better, fewer words. Like this.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

...Yeah, see. That's a zillion times more work than just forcing the few bills you need through via abusing the fusion mechanics. At least until you can fill the assembly with your own characters like you can in 3 onward.

And that's assuming you're on 3 or 4 vanilla, where they don't have the "bribe with money" option that began in D2 and was ported back to D4 Complete, and would you look at that, the resource that you functionally have infinite of about an hour into the game finally has a use, and it's skipping the whole Assembly system.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

No, not updating. You have to rebuy it at $40. Also, sadly, while it has the new Switch content it's also a graphical downgrade from the original PS4 and PC releases even in this release on the same platforms as there was more changed than just texture swaps.

Ah, dang. That's pretty lame. I didn't know that's how they were going to handle it.

The only Xbox version will be the Definitive one and it will be on Gamepass, so there's a lone bright spot.

• Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    I’ve
    Has anyone here bought the flip grip? I sort of want one to go with my pinball but was wondering how secure they are in terms of how well the system and Joy Cons click in.

It works great. The system and the Joy Con lock in firmly and don't move around at all.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

...Yeah, see. That's a zillion times more work than just forcing the few bills you need through via abusing the fusion mechanics. At least until you can fill the assembly with your own characters like you can in 3 onward.

And that's assuming you're on 3 or 4 vanilla, where they don't have the "bribe with money" option that began in D2 and was ported back to D4 Complete, and would you look at that, the resource that you functionally have infinite of about an hour into the game finally has a use, and it's skipping the whole Assembly system.

I don't remember it being particularly difficult at all, but I will defer to your expertise on the matter because it's not a subject I care to be as contentious about.

• Options
    How do I get infinite monies an hour into Disgaea 4 plz tell

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Nintendo is sitting on a pile of money. Paper money:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIoqNG9bSn4

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular

If they dropped the price on the Switch version, I would get that. But you got those Nintendo prices that never drop.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    How do I get infinite monies an hour into Disgaea 4 plz tell

Abuse the Item World. The way that requires the least setup/brain engagement is to bumrush the Item World until you find a map with Reverse Damage and Clone. Level+10% works too, but it's more obnoxious because they gain more HP and level slower. Reverse Damage ignores defenses, so it's an easy kill. Pump that up to 9999, kill it. Get millions of HL. Works decently enough without the level boosters too to create high level enemies that are easily killed because money output increases non-linearlly. ie You get twice as much money for killing one level 100 dude as you do for killing two level 50 dudes.

Alternatively, create a bunch of prinnies and then spend 10 minutes systematically murdering and reviving them to grind up the revive counter to around 175, which gives you a rank 20 item. Crank difficulty u to 20 stars, dive that and look for maps with geo setups you can cheese, or with enough geo blocks to be able to clear them using just big geo chains (remember that throwing a geo block onto an enemy automatically kills the geo block). Having a geo monk to reset things can help. Also, you'll run into random treasure chests every tenth floor and/or in special rooms which will have cash, items to sell (or obviate the need for cash), or are higher rank than the thingy so you can dive them to power jump the process.

Now, Disgaea D2's method for infinite cash, now that's an imbecilic one. The 'joke' vending machine has like a 5% chance to pay out things that sell for end-game levels of cash.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Nintendo is sitting on a pile of money. Paper money:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIoqNG9bSn4

Yeah, but they wouldn't be able to use any unique characters based on any of the Zelda races or enemies.
    I would like to see a Zelda with the PM team writing the text for it, though. There are multiple pages of dialogue I've taken screenshots of so I can pull them up later an smile.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular

If they dropped the price on the Switch version, I would get that. But you got those Nintendo prices that never drop.

The last big eShop sale had DQ11 on sale for under $50. I grabbed it then since, as you said, prices on Nintendo games drop so rarely.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I have a love/hate relationship with Octopath.

It looks great, sounds great, and has an interesting premise. But, I find the combat to be increasingly cumbersome as random encounters scale up in difficulty. I hate random encounters as a design choice. They're never fun, or interesting, or memorable. They're busy work. And making that busy work take more time because you need to learn and then target specific weaknesses in order to handle it in the most efficient way possible just annoys me.

As a boss encounter system, I loved it. But given that the vast majority of time you're just fighting mooks, it's just too much. I never finished anyone's chapter 4 story because of it.

And, yeah, I'm disappointed that the stories never really connected. It's a shame, too, because all of the background stuff that culminates in the hidden boss battle could've been a compelling JRPG story in its own right... if we were able to play it (spoilers in the following link):

That said, I hope that an Octopath 2 is in the works, if only to refine what could be a really interesting formula.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    I have a love/hate relationship with Octopath.

It looks great, sounds great, and has an interesting premise. But, I find the combat to be increasingly cumbersome as random encounters scale up in difficulty. I hate random encounters as a design choice. They're never fun, or interesting, or memorable. They're busy work. And making that busy work take more time because you need to learn and then target specific weaknesses in order to handle it in the most efficient way possible just annoys me.

As a boss encounter system, I loved it. But given that the vast majority of time you're just fighting mooks, it's just too much. I never finished anyone's chapter 4 story because of it.

And, yeah, I'm disappointed that the stories never really connected. It's a shame, too, because all of the background stuff that culminates in the hidden boss battle could've been a compelling JRPG story in its own right... if we were able to play it (spoilers in the following link):

That said, I hope that an Octopath 2 is in the works, if only to refine what could be a really interesting formula.

I mean technically there is said boss battle that combines all 8 paths and you can just view it as part of the story if you want since the reading you can do in the part right before that fight explains just how it's related to all 8 stories.

Tcheldor on
  • Options
    Yeah I would KILL to have all of the stories interconnect in some meaningful way. That would have been the best. Hopefully Octopath Traveler 2 does exactly that.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yeah I would KILL to have all of the stories interconnect in some meaningful way. That would have been the best. Hopefully Octopath Traveler 2 does exactly that.

The interconnection that's there is half hidden until the postgame and it's all in their backstories. It definitely needed more of that, and it should all come up in the main plot. Postgame should really be unrelated to the main story.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular

Sixteenpath Traveler?

• Options
    WACriminal wrote: »

Sixteenpath Traveler?

I think they're supposed to be squared right? Sixtyfourthpath Traveler. I don't understand the logistics.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »

Sixteenpath Traveler?

I think they're supposed to be squared right? Sixtyfourthpath Traveler. I don't understand the logistics.

Oh, that one already came out.

9v8xgcj3jpnb.png

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I was so excited for that game.

I was so disappointed in that game.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Don't y'all speak ill of my Quest 64 game. My heart can't take it today.

• Options
    I remember really enjoying Quest 64. It was (I think) my first experience with the blend of RPG mechanics and live-controlled battles where you could dodge the enemy's attacks, etc. Certainly wasn't the first game to do it, but it was the first one I played.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I remember having fun playing Quest 64

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    I've beaten Q64 several times. It's not a good game, but I enjoyed it.