As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!!

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    Nintendo heard from their uncle that it's legal to sell roms if you delete them after 6 months.

You want me to start linking SCOTUS cases? :P

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Nintendo games.

I thought I’d buy a couple of other games since I grabbed Astral Chain. I haven’t sunk my teeth into a JRPG in a long time, so why not two?

I got Xenoblade Chronicles because I’ve had my eye on it for a while, and Atelier Ryza something more light hearted.

Xenoblade is... complicated. I’m going to have to set aside some time to really sit down and figure it out.

Ryza is a lot of fun. The alchemy system is deep enough but not confusing, the characters are fun, the battle system is interesting and the game is so very pretty. I’m having a lot of fun with this.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Is it weird they added full screen to Sunshine and Galaxy, but not 64?

yes

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Ryza is a lot of fun. The alchemy system is deep enough but not confusing, the characters are fun, the battle system is interesting and the game is so very pretty. I’m having a lot of fun with this.

I want to give you some advice here, but I think it's probably better if you discover all of the ridiculous things that you can do on your own.

• Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    Welp, the 3DS is officially dead.
    https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/09/nintendo_3ds_production_has_officially_come_to_an_end

I remember playing one for the first time at an event in Bristol (Complete with actors reenacting Resident Evil). I was blown away by the 3D effect at the time, and it sold me on pre-ordering one. I still have that first 3DS now, and it admirably kept me amused on long journeys before the Switch came along. Some of the older games like Ridge Racer and Super Mario 3D Land still hold up well today.

Good times. Thanks for the memories, 3DS

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    End of an era.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    We've got a Direct coming in about an hour, but it's possible that one of the games leaked a little early.

This is just a rumor posted by one random person, so take it with mountains of salt, but I'm told he's gotten other leaks accurate in the past (Diablo 3, Pokemon Sword and Shield, etc.).

I'll put this behind spoiler tags for people who don't like to have surprises ruined...again, assuming this is even true...
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/iue0jb/new_monster_hunter_game_leak_spoiler/
    Hey everyone, it's been a while...

In this trying time I bring you good news, a new Monster Hunter title is coming! It's Monster Hunter Rise and it's coming next year on Nintendo Switch!

It's going to be again heavily inspired by Japan as was MHP3rd. You have a new companion besides palico - a dog that you can ride and he's able to assist you too! Locations are much more open and you can climb seemingly any surface. Also you get a... fairy grappling hook (something like that, you can grapple to anything, even thin air). And yes, it is used in new combos!

There will be new monsters as usual, ones I know are:furry jaggi with scythe at the end of its tail, one looking like a fire brathing crane, second like a platypus Dodogama, and a heavy looking demonlike zinogre with purple fire and spear tail, probably flagship called Magaimagado (western name will ofc be altered). Returning ones are Arzuros, Nerscylla(possibly Shrouded, so I think Khezu too?) and Tobi Kadachi.

Release date is >! 26.03.2021 !< for Japan, don't know about the rest. and the rest of the world, simultaneous release I guess. Also will come three new amiibo, doggo, palico and flagship.

Sound wild doesn't it? Thanks for tuning in, Burshie out!

Oh and the village chief looks like a brother of Admiral of the First Fleet

EDIT: Global release will be on the above date, let's rejoice! Also layered armor is coming to this one! EDIT2: Grappling hook is not a fairy but a bug that resembled Navi, that's on me. Flagship name added EDIT3: Just added info about global release higher, seems to be confusing

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Oh shit.

My free time...

• Options
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Well, neither of those games are appealing to me, but Capcom seems to have figured out how to use the Switch hardware pretty well, if those are actually gameplay videos.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Was that a Monster Hunter JRPG? If so I'm so down for that.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Portable Monster Hunter and Monster Hunter Stories 2! Well definitely don't need a PS5 for a while.

Stories was a great game and I'm so stoked for a sequel!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Disgaea 6:

“Super reincarnation” - check
    “Damage in the quadrillions” - check

Hundreds hours of my life spent on it next year - check

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Disgaea 6... oh no... OH NOOOOO... Who needs sleep?

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Monster Hunter Rise looks great. Hopefully it takes after World and not the older ones.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    The long dark is a pretty decent survival game, I just wish the dev didn't have such shitty opinions about consumer rights for the games they own. :( EDIT: He threw a fit about his game being able to be played on nvidias streaming thing, despite it not being a game service, and you already had to have owned the game to use it. :rotate:

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Switch exclusive for Disgaea 6, must have been a hell of a deal going on there.

• Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Monster Hunter Rise looks great. Hopefully it takes after World and not the older ones.

Agreed completely. World introduced so many QoL adjustments that I don't think I can go back to the old way of playing MH. I love that you can ride a doggo!

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

Did they say it was Switch exclusive? I missed that.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Finally RF6 news, gimme now

• Options
    Balan Wonderworld looks like janky jank.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Oh damn, they originally said there was basically no way they were going to bring Ori and the Will of the Wisps to Switch.

Edit: Holy crap and it's available today?!

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »

Did they say it was Switch exclusive? I missed that.

Said Exclusively for the Switch in Summer 2021. Could be a delayed release for other consoles.

• Options
    Woah Ori released today?!

• Options
    Last announcement? This was a short direct.

I'm a little weary of the new Ori game being ported here, considering even the XB1X had lots of fps hitches throughout the game and was fairly unstable.

Regardless, I'm loving all the stylized visuals in these games. It seems like 3rd parties that are developing for the Switch are figuring out how to use the hardware by creating unique visuals, as opposed to trying to ape the next gen AAA titles and failing. It's encouraging.

And I might have to give that Rune Factory a try; I've never played the series before, but Stardew Valley has got me into the life simulator genre just a bit, and that looks pretty decent.

Also, man, I wish I enjoyed Monster Hunter. They look so good!

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Damn, Monster Hunter: Ninja Gaiden, Disgaea 6, and Rune Factory 5. My wallet's in danger.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Loved the direct
    Love MH Stories, it's really cute and it has all the great art and designs with much more approachable gameplay.
    Love that Repede and some other small stuff from Tales of Vesperia are in the main MH game
    Love that there's a new Disgae and we getting Hades and Ori today
    Love seeing the crazy people shouting NO SMASH? at the chat

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Balan Wonderworld looks like janky jank.

The thing that struck me the most is how the characters walk. They take a billion steps and yet still move SO SLOW. It must be infuriating to actually play, not that I will.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I thought there was rumblings the Microsoft partnership had ended? I guess not.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I'm surprised they went with 3D models for Disgaea 6. Going to take some getting used to.

Both Monster Hunter games look great, though I honestly have a hard time getting into the main series.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    That was a good direct and the best Partner Showcase they've had.

I'm enjoying the deeper looks at both Monster Hunters. Next year is already shaping up to be great and better than this year.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Loved the direct
    Love MH Stories, it's really cute and it has all the great art and designs with much more approachable gameplay.
    Love that Repede and some other small stuff from Tales of Vesperia are in the main MH game
    Love that there's a new Disgae and we getting Hades and Ori today
    Love seeing the crazy people shouting NO SMASH? at the chat

Yeah, this was a really good Direct.

Weird thing.

I've been playing a bunch of Disgaeas, 1, 4, and still playing 5 again right now. And my buddy has been playing Monster Hunter World.

First two announcements? Just for us. :P

• Options
    Nice to have capcom all aboard the Switch with very japanese games, unlike those sad days in the 7th gen

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'm really going to have to try a Monster Hunter one of these days.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    So, I haven't tried a monster hunter since..um...Gamecube? PS2? Were they the same game? I don't recall. Oh, Wii, that's right. Wii. (EDIT: or was it the wiiu? just the demo regardless)

Anyway; has the game changed notably, aside from visuals, with the latest iterations? I get that the core would be more or less the same, as that's the thing; but yeah.

As a non-player, I couldn't really tell any how this new version was any different than World looks like (aside from the generational graphical differences obviously); is this a totally new version, or a modified version of World? Or is it an actual sequel? Clearly what I'm trying to find out is if this would be a potentially decent stepping on point for someone looking to give a series that (as I've said many times in the past) really should be my bag, anothe chance.

And whats with the Stories thing? Just the general setting turned into a JRPG? Seems kinda pokemon-esque?

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    i'm not a MH expert or anything, but Rise looks like a new game in the series; totally new area and setting, the movement stuff they showed after the direct were all new, and we didn't have doggos before. As far as the series evolution goes, they're adding more movement and tracking mechanics, more gear stuff, QoL improvements. Also, each game has a different selection of big monsters.

Stories is a turn based JRPG where you tame and fight alongside one of your stable of monsters. It's not quite pokemon, and you need to find a nest and steal eggs to get more monsters. The fight mechanics are also different from Pokemon.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    So, I haven't tried a monster hunter since..um...Gamecube? PS2? Were they the same game? I don't recall. Oh, Wii, that's right. Wii. (EDIT: or was it the wiiu? just the demo regardless)

Anyway; has the game changed notably, aside from visuals, with the latest iterations? I get that the core would be more or less the same, as that's the thing; but yeah.

As a non-player, I couldn't really tell any how this new version was any different than World looks like (aside from the generational graphical differences obviously); is this a totally new version, or a modified version of World? Or is it an actual sequel? Clearly what I'm trying to find out is if this would be a potentially decent stepping on point for someone looking to give a series that (as I've said many times in the past) really should be my bag, anothe chance.

And whats with the Stories thing? Just the general setting turned into a JRPG? Seems kinda pokemon-esque?

As someone who could never grok MH until World's quality of life stuff, its far more approachable than it used to be and I fully recommend checking out MH World if you can. I'd guess Rise will keep in a lot of those changes as well; they'd be silly not to.

Stories is their JRPG variant, yes.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Looks like Rise would be a great starting point.

As for Stories, you got it exactly. The battle system is unique, but yeah, it's a monster collecting rpg.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Its.. not like i needed money or anything.

Hoo-boy that direct.

• Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Balan Wonderworld reminds me that I forgot to ever play Nights into dreams.

Sorry, I mean Nights............................... into dreams.

My wallet is safe from that Direct. I didn't dislike any of it, I've just such a massive backlog that something needs to look goddamn amazing while being my kind of game before I would consider buying.

Raybies666 on
    Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.