As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!!

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Raybies666 wrote: »
    Balan Wonderworld reminds me that I forgot to ever play Nights into dreams.

Sorry, I mean Nights............................... into dreams.

My wallet is safe from that Direct. I didn't dislike any of it, I've just such a massive backlog that something needs to look goddamn amazing while being my kind of game before I would consider buying.

It will baffle me till I die why Nights has such a cult following. Of all the early era 3D games, it was...not the greatest. It seemed whimsical and groundbreaking, but it was actually incoherent and frustrating, and silly repetitive. Though, it did make all the later 3D sonic games that were basically on rails entirely, make more sense, because enough people seemed to think that was a good idea. Yeah, I know "argh! I don't like the things other people like!"; I just don't get it. tiny field of view, a camera that you couldn't control, not actually being 3d, the gameplay consisting of almost entirely circles to fly through, but since you weren't actually moving in 3D you were just trying to get in the middle of them on the predetermined paths you could fly. So really you had no more movement options than any other 2D game; except that to even run the damn thing the screen was zoomed in so far that you could barely make out what was coming more than a couple feet in front of you. But! I suppose in that early 3D time, it felt 3D because it visually moved you around its predetermined paths?

I dunno, I'm just yelling at clouds, I get it. I just don't get it. :lol:

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    The Nights Wii sequel cemented for me that maaaybe this franchise is a bit overrated.

Feels similar to Shenmue in that respect.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    You shut your goddamn mouth about Shenmue!

And Nights WAS 3d! When you were on the ground!

*starts sobbing*

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    Sorry, I don't have anything against Shenmue. :P just feels like the prevailing opinion, plus y'know, being Sega exclusives around that time.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    As someone that adores Shenmue, it is pretty overrated. It's like 90% nostalgia carrying it along now.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I remember back after I got a dreamcast seeing a trailer or something for Shenmue and thinking "oh man, that looks like a hong kong action movie!" and fortunately I saw a video of the actual gameplay before I bought it.

So now I can look back at it with a general "huh, I mean, I guess people like that" and not "wtf is wrong with people? It's just walking around and talking to people; the game!" :lol:

But then I always remember one time when I was a kid, playing FFIV (II at time, before us Americans had any idea that there were several Final Fantasy games we were completely unaware of) and grinding levels, just walking back and forth in two squares over and over fighting, and having my friends mom watch for a few minutes. She said "it appears you are stuck", and I said "no, I'm just leveling up" and she gave me a look that I still think about to this day; a mix of repulsion and confusion as to why I'd be spending my time doing the same activity over and over and over. :lol: I always try to remember that moment when I can't figure out why someone likes what they do. :rotate:

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yeah, this was a really juicy direct. Double MonHun (I mean yes, one's a spinoff), Disgaea, Rune Factory. Who likes their RPGs?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Double tactics too! One XCOM during prohibition, the other a Japanese celebration of numerical excess.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    That Hades game looked pretty good, I'm probably gonna check it out.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular

It's gotten rave reviews from pretty much everyone I trust to talk about videogames. I'm a huge sucker for roguelikes and the art-style (especially the character portraits) for Hades is just so beautiful.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Tangentially related to Shenmue, every Direct that doesn't have a Yakuza 0 port for the Switch just baffles me to no end. It's like Sega doesn't want money.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    The fact that a bullet point for disgaea is 'now damage goes into the quadrillions!' just confirms for me that the series is really not for me and I shouldn't go back.

sig.gif
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Tangentially related to Shenmue, every Direct that doesn't have a Yakuza 0 port for the Switch just baffles me to no end. It's like Sega doesn't want money.

It sometimes feels like a lot of publishers don't like money when it comes to not porting their games to Switch.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »

It's gotten rave reviews from pretty much everyone I trust to talk about videogames. I'm a huge sucker for roguelikes and the art-style (especially the character portraits) for Hades is just so beautiful.

Supergiant might be the studio I’m most reliably interested in these days. I hate that I never finished Pyre, but I just don’t do much gaming outside of portable devices these days.

So I’m probably bailing on the games I’m currently playing for Hades. They’ve never quite hit the highs of Bastion, but I’ve also never been anything but impressed by their output.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Hades fucking rules, it was in early access on PC for almost 2 years. Phenomenal visuals and music, great story, great presentation, and easily the best gameplay of any Supergiant game

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    monster hunter rpg spinoff with a story focus? ... y... yes?... yes please!

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    If you like action roguelikes, Hades is the god-tier game in the genre. (hu? Get it?)

I also never got the appeal of NighTs. It's just a weird doll making janky loops.

And, having been there in 1999, i totes get the appeal that Shenmue had, I personally loved it back then... And totally think it was cool when it came out but a complete failure today. Yakuza is what it should have become after Shenmue 1, and does 100% of everything it did 1000% better. the world moved forward.

hu, they're both Yuji Naka games. Maybe there is a *thing* there.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

It sometimes feels like a lot of publishers don't like money when it comes to not porting their games to Switch.

A bit of a tangent, but these days I'm finding these kinds of statements, when used as derogatory "slams", to be really weird. In a world where other companies are tripping over themselves in a pathetic grab to get all the monies on the table, up to and including tripping onto the table and knocking it over... statements like "I guess they don't want my money" are almost a breath of fresh air. For a company to look at a line of revenue and profit and say "...Yeah no, we're fine, thanks", it feels damn near admirable.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Well, the answer is of course from their perspective it's only because they see MORE profit elsewhere. Run a cost/benefit analysis on a Switch port and found it less worth the manpower than a new DLC or whatever.

• Options
    I'm a little weary of the new Ori game being ported here, considering even the XB1X had lots of fps hitches throughout the game and was fairly unstable.

Yeah, this seems like a big deal, the devs at one point said they didn't expect it to ever be on the Switch, or it would take a ton of work to pull off.

They seem proud of it, as they put up this video showing 60 FPS gameplay on Switch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfnqSn8Xnmo

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Well crap... Hades looks like something that's extremely On My Bullshit. Rogue-like, diablo-esque gameplay with Greek Myth flavor? Guess I'm going to go buy that Right Now.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Hades is a for sure buy. I've logged about 250 hours on it and it never got close to being boring. Characters were still saying/doing new things. You were still unlocking weapons, etc.

Best of all is that it plays like a dream. I've not played a game like this with controls so tight.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    NiGHTS operates under a very similar design philosophy to Sonic, where the character is kind of fiddly and momentum-driven, and you are likely to clear any given level on the first or second attempt, but not well by the game's reckoning. The joy comes from playing it again with more foreknowledge and iterating on your approach until you're always taking optimal lines and maxing out your rank in each segment.

I realize that, somehow, I actually skew young for this board's demographic, so this flex is likely to fall flat, but pretty much all of the early 3D games were a "you had to be there" moment in terms of what a culture shock it was to go from sprites to polygons. I mean one boss in NiGHTS has you throwing this opera singer balloon monster through a wall and the thing actually shatters, like you can see how the individual pieces all originated from the original wall. It's expected now, unremarkable even, but at the time it was absolutely mind-blowing.

Oh, and, of course, the music. Kind of like Nintendo (wahey, link to the thread topic!), that entire era of Sega games had music that you could listen to for dozens of hours. Unique tracks for every level and boss.

Now, is NiGHTS the best use of your time today? Not by a long shot. I don't think anyone would be smitten with it going back to it from today the way they might with e.g. Chrono Trigger or Yoshi's Island. But as a product of its time, it was terrific. At least, I loved it.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    There is a nice MonHun sale going on at the eShop, including all the 3DS games.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Limited Run will have an extremely limited quantity of Mary Skelter 2 stock they are offloading tomorrow at 10AM EST. I expect it to disappear fast and it will most certainly not be in enough of a quantity to dent the ebay prices, so if you're interested in the games(it includes the first game) but never got a copy, this is probably your best/only chance.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    I saw mention of something Ninja Gaiden related from the Direct.

Looking online I just saw rumors of the Trilogy coming to Switch and PS4 next year. Was that it?

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    The Japanese version of the Direct had a few unique games,including this amazing looking 2D mecha game called Hardcore Mecha.
    https://youtu.be/gO6Mv9wqm9g?t=63

It looks rad as hell.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I love the idea of LRG but the order i made with them on April 1st is still in production and it's just not good for my anxiety

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yeah, my first and last LRG purchase was Skullgirls. It got delayed a lot, I think a year in total, and then my copy arrived with a misprint, the box art cut in the wrong location so the image was off with a big ol white stripe along the bottom. :/

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Yeah, my first and last LRG purchase was Skullgirls. It got delayed a lot, I think a year in total, and then my copy arrived with a misprint, the box art cut in the wrong location so the image was off with a big ol white stripe along the bottom. :/

You know, in the toy collecting world a misprint like yours would be the actual valuable collector’s item.

Just trying to find the silver lining.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Hades is a for sure buy. I've logged about 250 hours on it and it never got close to being boring. Characters were still saying/doing new things. You were still unlocking weapons, etc.

Best of all is that it plays like a dream. I've not played a game like this with controls so tight.

How difficult is it, and is there slow progression like with Dead Cells even if you suck at it?

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Septus wrote: »

How difficult is it, and is there slow progression like with Dead Cells even if you suck at it?

It is hard, but not crushing in the early levels and there's satisfying progression over time, yes.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Direct was cool. Not a monster hunter guy, but looked like a lot of monster hunter goodness for the fans, so that's cool for them. Rune Factory 5 might steal a lot of hours from me though. I also want to get in Disgea, but it looks intense, like leveling characters to 999999 or whatever it was? Is that how they all are? Just never ending I'm assuming?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Direct was cool. Not a monster hunter guy, but looked like a lot of monster hunter goodness for the fans, so that's cool for them. Rune Factory 5 might steal a lot of hours from me though. I also want to get in Disgea, but it looks intense, like leveling characters to 999999 or whatever it was? Is that how they all are? Just never ending I'm assuming?

It sounds like a lot (and it really is) but you generally don't get that high unless you're gunning for it. There's so much about the game that lets you cheat the system (in 5 you can bribe politicians to increase EXP per kill, set the difficulty low and EXP high, etc). I thought it was going to be overwhelming at first but I ended up really, really enjoying 5.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

It sounds like a lot (and it really is) but you generally don't get that high unless you're gunning for it. There's so much about the game that lets you cheat the system (in 5 you can bribe politicians to increase EXP per kill, set the difficulty low and EXP high, etc). I thought it was going to be overwhelming at first but I ended up really, really enjoying 5.

Also note that the level cap in previous games was merely 9999. So I expect they're adding even more ways to just go insane this time around.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited September 2020

Traditionally what happens is, you start at level 1 and if you play normally and do some random grinding here and there, you'll stay at-level with enemies throughout the story mode, and end with the final story boss at level 100.

Or...you find a specific level a few stages in that is particularly advantageous for grinding. You kill every enemy there with one character over and over and get a 50 level lead. Then you slightly crank up the difficulty and continue killing them until you have a 500 level lead (this could take, like, 2 hours). Then you blitz the story mode with your one OP character and get into the post game where things quickly ramp up to level 1000 enemies, but they also give you training stages where you can get +200% XP killing the enemies while having +1000% XP from the cheat shop while having +900% XP from the statisticians you farmed, and get to level 9999 in less than an hour (eventually with all those bonuses, 1 to 9999 in one single fight). Then reincarnate to level 1 and do it again and again, becoming an even more powerful level 9999 each time. All the while learning new skills and abilities and leveling them up as well, for the ultimate challenges and superbosses.

That's pretty much Disgaea.

Also every single item, from axes to candy bars to leather hats, contains an infinite dungeon inside of it, and killing your way through it powers up the item and can unlock bonuses. And also people live in the items and can be subdued to provide specific boosts, and traded around between items.

The item I'm working on as we speak contains a Stupid Sexy Flanders reference.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Rehab wrote: »
    I saw mention of something Ninja Gaiden related from the Direct.

Looking online I just saw rumors of the Trilogy coming to Switch and PS4 next year. Was that it?

Some people were comparing the way Monster Hunter Rise looks and plays to Ninja Gaiden for some reason.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Cool, I see 4 is on gamepass now. Is that one worth trying out? Same idea as 5?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Cool, I see 4 is on gamepass now. Is that one worth trying out? Same idea as 5?

4 is better in some ways, worse in others. It has a much meatier and well-paced postgame (had a bunch of premium DLC that they put a lot of effort into that got packaged into the complete versions), and a much smoother postgame power curve than 5, but 5 has a number more QoL improvements and various tricks that let you leapfrog up in power much, much faster than the others in the series.

We have proxy fights over which has the better characters and story on the regular.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    My cousin got his copy of Allstars today early from Best buy.

Not me though cause i can't ever be that lucky!