As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!!

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Cool, I see 4 is on gamepass now. Is that one worth trying out? Same idea as 5?

Yes! It's a good time. There's a Disgaea thread here where people can help you.

The main character in 4 is a vampire who has sworn never to drink human blood and instead extols the many virtues of sardines, such as how they are rich in omega-3 fatty acids.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Cool, I see 4 is on gamepass now. Is that one worth trying out? Same idea as 5?

4 is better in some ways, worse in others. It has a much meatier and well-paced postgame (had a bunch of premium DLC that they put a lot of effort into that got packaged into the complete versions), and a much smoother postgame power curve than 5, but 5 has a number more QoL improvements and various tricks that let you leapfrog up in power much, much faster than the others in the series.

We have proxy fights over which has the better characters and story on the regular.

Red Magnus drags 5 down a bit imo. The rest of the cast is fine. He's just annoying. And I get that it's on purpose, but... did he have to be the first one to show up? (His realizations of how he screwed up later on were good, but it doesn't stop him from grating on me a bit... it wouldn't be so bad if he wasn't ALWAYS YELLING)

Trying to decide who I like the least of 4's main cast atm now... Fenrich, possibly. It's been a while but he's not as amusing as the others.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Oh god I loved Red Magnus. Reminded me of Hercule from DBZ.

• Options
    Oh yeah so, I put together a thing for fun.

Back when 3D All-Stars was announced I posted this, wondering if they were going to fix it:

But then I thought, there are a lot of cool details like this throughout the games. The blog Supper Mario Broth has been collecting these for years and posting them.

So I dug through their archives and gathered up a bunch of fun things to see and do in the three games in the collection, and made a sort of "scavenger hunt" to go try these things yourself!

Here it is. Yes it is cheesy, I posted it at Reddit, kind of a general audience thing.

I don't want to fill up this page of the thread posting all this stuff, but a few examples:

If you click through to the document there are a ton more, lots of gifs. There's a lot that I didn't know about that I'm definitely going to try, like Mario 64's hat-in-hand glitch or finding the secret toy train in Mario Galaxy.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I love stuff like this in games. Thanks for posting. I'll be checking them out for sure.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I need that special edition Ori.

Just when I was so despondent I was thinking of selling the switch, they brought me right back.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Watching a vtuber streaming Mario Galaxy and wow it looks so much better on my tv’s YouTube app compared to playing it on my Wii U. Can’t wait for my copy to ship.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I need that special edition Ori.

Just when I was so despondent I was thinking of selling the switch, they brought me right back.

rd27cv7flbu7.jpeg

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Went into a local store and they had a bunch of Super Mario All Stars, so I grabbed one. It can sit next to Mario Kart 8 as the only two games I've bought physically.

Speaking of, I had a gander in the pre owned games section, and wow Switch games hold their value. Most of them were only about 10%-20% cheaper than brand new, even for games releases near launch.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    I never really played much Mario 64 on the N64, but I did play some 64 DS - and really couldn't get on with the controls using the touchscreen or the unfiltered textures (the latter an issue I had with other games on the system, the look just really grated on me - perhaps the PSP spoiled me in that era - so I tended mostly towards 2D games on the DS). And Sunshine and Galaxy I've yet to play at all. Kind of hoping I'll get on with them all; I do often bounce off Nintendo games that are otherwise widely beloved, but not always.

I see the touchscreen thing a lot, and I don't get it. I mean, I agree with it, but that's why I used the Dpad. It's no analog stick, but it works well enough once you put in a bit of practice and get used to it.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Jazz wrote: »
    I never really played much Mario 64 on the N64, but I did play some 64 DS - and really couldn't get on with the controls using the touchscreen or the unfiltered textures (the latter an issue I had with other games on the system, the look just really grated on me - perhaps the PSP spoiled me in that era - so I tended mostly towards 2D games on the DS). And Sunshine and Galaxy I've yet to play at all. Kind of hoping I'll get on with them all; I do often bounce off Nintendo games that are otherwise widely beloved, but not always.

I see the touchscreen thing a lot, and I don't get it. I mean, I agree with it, but that's why I used the Dpad. It's no analog stick, but it works well enough once you put in a bit of practice and get used to it.

Yeah, I did try the D-pad as well, obviously, but it never felt right. I mean, the game wasn't designed for D-pad play and it showed.

It's okay, my 3D All-Stars just showed up a few minutes ago, so looking forward to playing it on an analog stick, the way God Miyamoto intended.

And maybe it's just not for me - like I said, I don't always get on with Ninty games for reasons I cannot figure out* - but I'm more than willing to give it a proper try again!

* - And sometimes I very, very do. Metroid Zero Mission is probably an all-time top ten game for me and my original cart is the sole reason I keep a DS Lite around.

Jazz on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I'll have to run by Walmart to see if they're selling 3D all stars with the same 10 dollar discount they've applied to all previous 1st party games.

If not, I'll still pick it up. I'll also probably pick up the eshop version at some point because I much prefer to not mess with cartridges.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    I'll have to run by Walmart to see if they're selling 3D all stars with the same 10 dollar discount they've applied to all previous 1st party games.

If not, I'll still pick it up. I'll also probably pick up the eshop version at some point because I much prefer to not mess with cartridges.

Apparently this particular "trick" may not work for All-Stars, but a PSA for people wanting to get Switch games on discount from Walmart:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/iu7dpc/psa_its_easy_to_get_new_switch_games_for_40_from/

It's only a day old but became so popular and made so many rounds that Walmart certainly knows about it by now and may shut it down soon, as far as anyone knows.

Also I liked this quote:
    The order has to be for $50 to get the $10 off coupon to go through and technically the games are $49.94. If there is nothing else you want to order and you need to make it go over the threshold, bananas are 19 cents. The lady looked at me weird when she delivered Mario Kart and one banana to my car. Haha.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    They deliberately un-inverted the fludd shooting controls. The monsters.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    That Walmart trick is neat, but I couldn’t find Mario 3D Allstars on that side of their site.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular

No option to change between normal and non-invert is such a dumb move. I won't be able to play Sunshine without inverted controls.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Ah, wonky physics pachinko Mario table, my old nemesis. We meet again.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »

No option to change between normal and non-invert is such a dumb move. I won't be able to play Sunshine without inverted controls.

... I'm already regretting breaking the seal on my copy. I may well find this unplayable.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Anti something something.

Yeah, I do play anything without inverted controls, and cannot remember the last time a game didn't give me the option.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Mine is out for delivery! So happy!

I don't know which game I want to start with. Sunshine is probably the game it's been longest since I've played...I might start there.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Hades has grabbed me about as hard as I imagined it would.

I’m really curious what this looked like during early access, because I can almost feel the layering of new material. Not in a bad way - just a strong suggestion of depth, both mechanically and in the writing/environment.

Everybody does talk kind of rapidly, and I’m not sure how I feel about that. Mechanically it’s helpful for keeping you in the game, but it also means characters that seem more reserved comes across as almost anxious/hurried.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Question for anyone with Overcooked 2 on the switch. Can you local co-op and multiplayer with someone else doing local co-op? Basically we have a Switch and our friends have 1 but we have 2 for each Switch. The FAQ below is a bit muddied in that is sounds like 1 Switch can do local co-op but anyone joining would need their own Switch.
    Overcooked! 2 supports up to four players in either local or online play. On Nintendo Switch, we also support wireless multiplayer for up to four players.

With up to three local players sharing a console or computer it is then possible to also play with other players online. On Nintendo Switch, when two or three players are in the game locally, online friends can search for and join their game.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Hades has grabbed me about as hard as I imagined it would.

I’m really curious what this looked like during early access, because I can almost feel the layering of new material. Not in a bad way - just a strong suggestion of depth, both mechanically and in the writing/environment.

Everybody does talk kind of rapidly, and I’m not sure how I feel about that. Mechanically it’s helpful for keeping you in the game, but it also means characters that seem more reserved comes across as almost anxious/hurried.

I like it, keeps things snappy. Since I read faster than video games talk, I almost always cut off the voice actors even when I’m actually enjoying the VA.

Anyway Hades continues Supergiant’s amazing voiceovers that provide wonderful immersive atmosphere without ever becoming repetitive or boring.

Really really enjoying it, even tho I have no idea what I’m doing.

Almost every character is someone I’d like to just read me to sleep tonight (not you, Hypnos). Where do they find these voice actors?!

akjak on
    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular

I've been dealing with the invert hate my whole life.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    So looks like Monster Hunter Rise uses the same engine as Resident Evil 7, DMC5 and the other RE games.

https://nintendoeverything.com/monster-hunter-rise-made-with-the-re-engine-capcom-confirms/

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    TelMarine wrote: »

I've been dealing with the invert hate my whole life.

I don't actually mind them changing it to match what's more "expected" nowadays. What I do mind, a lot, is not then making it a goddamn option. It needs patching in. And hopefully they'll do that...

• Options
    And look what Japan, and only Japan, is getting in their collector's edition of MH Rise:

kzCk8ZI.png

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Spent a bit playing Mario 64 during lunch today. Just as fun and archaic as I remember.

Compared to modern 3D Mario games, the controls are so irritating and stiff. Still had a blast though.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    And look what Japan, and only Japan, is getting in their collector's edition of MH Rise:

kzCk8ZI.png

Holy... just how much is their CE and also WANT.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

kzCk8ZI.png

Holy... just how much is their CE and also WANT.

So...55cm is just under 2 feet. That is a very tiny person holding (photoshopped with?) that pupper!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Mine is out for delivery! So happy!

I don't know which game I want to start with. Sunshine is probably the game it's been longest since I've played...I might start there.

Amazon still says I'm getting mine today... but something tells me they don't even have one for me. Hasn't shipped yet.

• Options
    I’ll still be very interested to see if there’s a significant presence online of people who care about the limited release window of All-Stars come March of 2021.

If Scott Pilgrim is anything to measure by? Absolutely.
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    In almost all of those cases, the creators of the official work SHOULD be shamed, though? Sonic 4 is laughable trash compared to Sonic Mania, and Sega clearly realized that when they hired the guy to make their game. Fallout has gone off a quality cliff and the fact that the mods are higher quality than the newest official release is basically just a symptom of that. Etc etc.

I suppose it's your right to go around angry at the state of all modded/homebrew-enhanced media, I just don't see the point. Things should be enjoyed on their own merits.

Like suppose no mods had ever been released for Mario 64, and then this release comes along exactly as it is. Does that make it better? Just because nobody else improved it previously?

Pick a random game...Steamworld Dig. I have no idea whether anyone has modded Steamworld Dig. If there are no mods for it, does that make its Switch rerelease better?

Also, keep in mind that Nintendo does consider all the 'fan' work to be illegal. You know, because it is. People have made illegal copies of their properties. They do not see this as a service. They do not see it as legitimate. And from that stance, the modded/homebrew-enhanced media should not exist.

As a thought exercise, what if Nintendo was just coming from that perspective? And they assume the majority of their audience does not break the law? And, crazy thought, what if they're right? Is it possible that the true core Nintendo audience that the company is after is NOT the obsessed person who will break the law to download ROMs and emulators? Maybe they're making games for kids, or normies.

To the bolder, Nintendo also considered devices like the Game Genie illegal, stating they were creating "derivative works."

The courts did not agree.
    Can we just stop this and agree that we need Sega to remaster Crazy Taxi on the Switch because I'd really like it portable (other than on the PSP).

Finally, some real talk in this thread.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Longest workday ever... The game is sitting next to my Switch. Taunting me.

• Options
    Tangentially related to Shenmue, every Direct that doesn't have a Yakuza 0 port for the Switch just baffles me to no end. It's like Sega doesn't want money.

I think they're considering it; they got burnt by the Wii U releases underperforming, but still want to expand their reach, hence Xbox and Steam.

I think they'll get back around to it eventually, maybe when they're done with those?

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    So cancelled my all stars preorder at amazon, because this month I bought tony hawk remaster, battle for bikini bottom, and then bought some things so I can start making use of project xcloud and told myself I've spent too much on this hobby this month and to slow down.

And then this morning I immediately opened the target app, bought the game for pickup, and got it on my lunch. Yes, I'm weak. But also, it's 2020. What else am I going to do? Although cool thing is since I bought it at target they included some mario magnets from each game as a bonus that I didn't even know they were doing so that was a cool surprise.

anoffday on
  • Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    Can we just stop this and agree that we need Sega to remaster Crazy Taxi on the Switch because I'd really like it portable (other than on the PSP).

As long as its Crazy Taxi 3/High Roller, aka the best one. That game has been imprisoned on the Xbox for too long.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    T-Danger wrote: »

As long as its Crazy Taxi 3/High Roller, aka the best one. That game has been imprisoned on the Xbox for too long.

Crazy Taxi is nothing without it's music and the question would be if Sega's willing to shell out for licensed music.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    So cancelled my all stars preorder at amazon, because this month I bought tony hawk remaster, battle for bikini bottom, and then bought some things so I can start making use of project xcloud and told myself I've spent too much on this hobby this month and to slow down.

And then this morning I immediately opened the target app, bought the game for pickup, and got it on my lunch. Yes, I'm weak. But also, it's 2020. What else am I going to do? Although cool thing is since I bought it at target they included some mario magnets from each game as a bonus that I didn't even know they were doing so that was a cool surprise.

If you want to try to score some cool pins, log into your Nintendo account and do the stuff here.

You won't get the credit for buying the game and redeeming it for coins immediately, it may take a few days. I'd do it as soon as you can to start the process. I see it as a long shot that supplies will last very long at all, but it's worth trying.

You don't have to actually play Mario Kart to get the pins, just the easy stuff and then buying the game.

n2hIYcy.png

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Well, I played up to the first save point in all three games. Remember, I've played little Mario 64 and nothing of the other two prior to today. Mario 64 feels right to me control-wise, unlike 64 DS did, so that's a fear alleviated. Sunshine desperately needs the Y-axis invert option patched in, but also its first save point is soonest so I've played the least of it so far. Galaxy's first save point is, by contrast, much further in than I was expecting, and occasionally needing to use the touchscreen (I was playing handheld in bed) for simple menus was jarring, but it was pretty delightful and looked great.

I'm happy with it so far, but yeah, I hope Sunshine gets a fix, and soon.

Jazz on
  • Options

If you want to try to score some cool pins, log into your Nintendo account and do the stuff here.

You won't get the credit for buying the game and redeeming it for coins immediately, it may take a few days. I'd do it as soon as you can to start the process. I see it as a long shot that supplies will last very long at all, but it's worth trying.

You don't have to actually play Mario Kart to get the pins, just the easy stuff and then buying the game.

n2hIYcy.png

Yesss thanks for reminding me about these.