As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - We Should Talk, Before I Forget & Beyond a Steel Sky out today!

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    It sounds like Zelda

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Someone on another forum just said "hey, I have a really specific weird request for a game" and I was tensing up for a description of like, he wants a visual novel about accountants who are also big-titted rabbit girls who fight zombies, but instead he goes "I was just rewatching The Goonies and Indiana Jones a couple weeks ago and I realized I wanted to play a game where you explore some kind of ruin and there are lots of traps and puzzles and riddles to solve. Not just physical stuff like dodging boulders but like, finding the right spot on the map, or moving mirrors around, or playing a tune on a piano to open a secret wall. I don't want a game of only one kind of puzzle like Portal, and I don't want some abstract game of puzzles without context, either."

And it occurred to me, reading that, that holy shit I have almost no idea where to find a game of that incredibly straightforward thing you find in fiction all the time.

Like, what is there? There's Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis from thirty fucking years ago. Uncharted and Tomb Raider games are more action-y (or now, more survival-y). Ditto Prince of Persia. Heaven's Vault is a great game with the right kind of theme but it's mainly got the one kind of puzzle.

The Secret World had moments like this, where you had to do actual real-life research or happen to know Morse code or how to read music, but those (genuinely amazing) sequences had hours and hours and hours of the shittiest MMO combat imaginable in between them.

I can think of a few adventure games, like the Gabriel Knight series, that have parts that fit the bill, but those are just parts (and typically at the end of the game). Maybe the Broken Sword series? I never played those.

It's really weird. I'd never thought about this before and now the difficulty I'm having asnwering his question bugs the shit out of me.

La Mulana?

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    yeah the Myst series has a lot of puzzles like that

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Someone on another forum just said "hey, I have a really specific weird request for a game" and I was tensing up for a description of like, he wants a visual novel about accountants who are also big-titted rabbit girls who fight zombies, but instead he goes "I was just rewatching The Goonies and Indiana Jones a couple weeks ago and I realized I wanted to play a game where you explore some kind of ruin and there are lots of traps and puzzles and riddles to solve. Not just physical stuff like dodging boulders but like, finding the right spot on the map, or moving mirrors around, or playing a tune on a piano to open a secret wall. I don't want a game of only one kind of puzzle like Portal, and I don't want some abstract game of puzzles without context, either."

And it occurred to me, reading that, that holy shit I have almost no idea where to find a game of that incredibly straightforward thing you find in fiction all the time.

Like, what is there? There's Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis from thirty fucking years ago. Uncharted and Tomb Raider games are more action-y (or now, more survival-y). Ditto Prince of Persia. Heaven's Vault is a great game with the right kind of theme but it's mainly got the one kind of puzzle.

The Secret World had moments like this, where you had to do actual real-life research or happen to know Morse code or how to read music, but those (genuinely amazing) sequences had hours and hours and hours of the shittiest MMO combat imaginable in between them.

I can think of a few adventure games, like the Gabriel Knight series, that have parts that fit the bill, but those are just parts (and typically at the end of the game). Maybe the Broken Sword series? I never played those.

It's really weird. I'd never thought about this before and now the difficulty I'm having asnwering his question bugs the shit out of me.

La Mulana?

that's spanish for "the mulana"

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UFOXIGzdMv8

I will remain salty about this until my dying day

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I mean it's extremely not the right tone or genre, but Later Alligator essentially fits that bill.

But yeah, overall it's a genre that tends to get filled up with all sorts of combat that you need to do in between solving your towers of hanoi and what have yous. Which, yeah, as someone who enjoys doing dumb Resident Evil puzzles, it is a shame that there isn't a way to get just the puzzles.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

I don't get it

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    that game is probably not happening because campo santo got bought by valve and some of them didn't want to work there because their company culture sucks

Shorty on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »

I don't get it

It's a promising trailer for a game that will never come out because Valve vored it

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    The Resident Evil games have puzzles like that.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    I don't understand the bounty/wanted system in RDR2. I robbed a secret business today. Had on a totally new outfit and a bandana, and still got identified. But then only got an $11 bounty for killing 4 people (or maybe 5? I'm not clear on if pistol whipping is lethal) and blowing a room up with dynamite

The thing i heard is that cops will always be able to identify you when they see you, and so you'll get a bounty. The mask and outfit is just for the civilian witnesses who see you do stuff

Ok this makes sense. In game terms, not actual sense.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Continuing to play Watch Dogs 2, the game gets a lot more fun as things start to open up. I picked up the hacks to sic gang members/police on targets and it leads to some hilarious chaos.

So there were two cops standing in the middle of the street halting traffic. I'm not sure what they were doing but they were refusing to move, so I decided to have a little fun. I hacked the car behind them to drive directly into them - car runs over one cop, slams into a wall, second cop calls for backup and then arrests the civilian who was driving the car. I call a gang hit on one of the cops there, who arrive and start laying fire into the cops. The civilian starts to run away from the chaos, and the first thing the cops do is shoot the civilian in the back(as they do) and then return fire at the gang members. The cops didn't win this one.

I somewhat feel bad for how much I was laughing about it.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

The Room series basically became this. You're in weird locations and have to fiddle with the stuff around you to solve puzzles.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    has anyone played Shadows: Awakening?
    It's a pretty fun Diablo-like where you collect characters (ie, classes) as you play and you can switch between them at any point. Your main character, the undead shadow, switches the world, Soul Reaver style, and fights on a separate shadow layer of the world with different enemies.

I guess if you consider "I'll switch to the melee dude for this battle, he's tanky" to be a puzzle then yes, there are "puzzles" in the game.

I didn't get to finish it, at some point there was a bit too much running around the enemy-cleared hub maps to hunt down the quest objectives you missed, but it was a pretty good time, well worth the sale price.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    If Amazon wanted a eSports game, they should have bought up the remnants of Motiga's IP, their art team, and hired away a lead from Riot or Blizzard for systems balance. Release Gigantic and profit from solid if not spectacular reviews for a game that could provide something different enough from both CS:GO and Overwatch to be it's own thing.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »

La Mulana?

that's spanish for "the mulana"

Uh excuse you no, that's clearly FRENCH for "the mulana" thank you.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020

The Room series basically became this. You're in weird locations and have to fiddle with the stuff around you to solve puzzles.

The wife bought all the Broken Swords a few days ago and they are very much what they're looking for. She's playing the first one and it's going around Paris and doing stuff like solving sliding block puzzles to pick locks.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    Mvrck wrote: »
    If Amazon wanted a eSports game, they should have bought up the remnants of Motiga's IP, their art team, and hired away a lead from Riot or Blizzard for systems balance. Release Gigantic and profit from solid if not spectacular reviews for a game that could provide something different enough from both CS:GO and Overwatch to be it's own thing.
    Man, if only, Gigantic was a triumph. I was garbage at it but still clocked in 60+ hours before it died.

And honestly, if you're going for different, Crucible does fit. People are lumping it in with hero shooters and complaining it doesn't feel like one, and that's because it's not. It's closer to a MOBA that controls like a shooter. TTK times are longer, the map is big enough to where you need to constantly make decisions as to whether to stick together and lose control of points, or split apart and risk getting picked off. If your team wipes grabbing a point it's a viable tactic to abandon contesting said point and simply go back cap points and farm up some XP for your team while the enemy team is roaming in a murderball, it'll make you much better prepared for the next engagement.

Can the feel of combat be improved? Sure, the inability to go "I use my ability and one-shot that guy" limits how much bang you can get, but you can improve the sound and animations, make the weapons more satisfying even when they're not shredding folks, add reaction animations when hit, etc. And hopefully all of that is going to get added, along with performance improvement and the god damned minimap, how do you release an objective game where you need to cover up your whole screen with a map just to tell where your squad is relative to you.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    yeah La Mulana is probably close to what that person wanted, extremely cool puzzle adventure action platformer

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Hitman is taking some getting used to but it's slowly clicking in to place.

Usually I don't have the patience to scope everything out and plan my moves but the tips for the opportunities really helps keep me focussed.

Enjoying it so far! Even though I'm on the first mission and have failed numerous times already...

• Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    yeah La Mulana is probably close to what that person wanted, extremely cool puzzle adventure action platformer
    D&D would probably be the perfect system to use for stuff like that. Well, if you wanted RPG mechanics involved, rather than simply having adventure game puzzles with funny death scenes.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

Heaven’s Vault

• Options
    Just beat Bounty of Blood.

The Borderlands 3 DLC (like, all of it) is so much better than the base game it's kinda sad. Like, how did all of this stuff turn out so well and yet the ball got dropped so damn hard for the main story?

sig.gif
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    The dude behind Hexcells put out Alchemia a few years ago, which is effectively a 14-page puzzle book requiring real world research.

La-Mulana has been mentioned, and I mostly agree, but there's not a lot of "move mirrors around" or "play tune." That I recall, anyway.

The Myst series has the "play tune" bit but (at least in Myst and Riven) the world is fairly static.

Prey has a bit where you can play "find the x on the map"; and I recall something similar in both Grimrocks

Quern is in the Myst style, and there are at least two doors requiring a specific tone ... which isn't really the same thing as the piano thing. Haven't played enough of Haven Moon to know what it has.

----

When the poster says, "play a tune on the piano" do they mean "walk up to the piano and hit 'E'" or is it more "find (, deduce, or infer) the tune, then plink at the appropriate buttons"?

----

Do any of the Escape Room VR games fit the bill?

• Options
    Tamin wrote: »
    When the poster says, "play a tune on the piano" do they mean "walk up to the piano and hit 'E'" or is it more "find (, deduce, or infer) the tune, then plink at the appropriate buttons"?

God of War 3 had something like this. There was a musical puzzle you had to play to unlock something or other, but when you actually figured it out, it was a (simplified) version of the theme music.

sig.gif
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Ooh! Ooh! There is one (1) piano puzzle in Undertale. That means I can technically recommend it!

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Glal wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    has anyone played Shadows: Awakening?
    It's a pretty fun Diablo-like where you collect characters (ie, classes) as you play and you can switch between them at any point. Your main character, the undead shadow, switches the world, Soul Reaver style, and fights on a separate shadow layer of the world with different enemies.

I guess if you consider "I'll switch to the melee dude for this battle, he's tanky" to be a puzzle then yes, there are "puzzles" in the game.

I didn't get to finish it, at some point there was a bit too much running around the enemy-cleared hub maps to hunt down the quest objectives you missed, but it was a pretty good time, well worth the sale price.

Sounds fun, I'll pick it up!

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Wait, I would be very surprised if there's no Resident Evil game that hits all those beats.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Strange Brigade!

• Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »

i think the puzzles in la mulana are just way way too hard.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I haven't played it myself, but I've heard about we were here which is a two player puzzle type game where each person has part of the puzzle and have to work together to solve it. That seems like it more or less fits the bill, although it being a strictly multiplayer experience might be an issue.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Tomb of Tyrants is cheap on Steam so go get it. It's Tetris crossed with Dungeon Keeper and Tower Defense

awz200qb025e.png

here's a guide to it because it's an actually remarkably deep game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkHq-U2A-bM&t=904s

Magic Pink on
  • Options

20200701 - Trackmania 2020 (Racing, arcade, online)

• Options
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    TOO MANY GAMES

STOP IT

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    cram ooblets in all of my orifi please

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    𝅘𝅥𝅮 Ooblets in my orifices
    Ooblets shits, ooblets pisses𝅘𝅥𝅮

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Tomb of Tyrants is cheap on Steam so go get it. It's Tetris crossed with Dungeon Keeper and Tower Defense

awz200qb025e.png

here's a guide to it because it's an actually remarkably deep game
    Well now I have another game I'll never get around to trying. Thanks.

• Options
This discussion has been closed.