As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - We Should Talk, Before I Forget & Beyond a Steel Sky out today!

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I shoulda kept a tally of all the times I died by getting out of my ship without remembering to put my spacesuit on first.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    I shoulda kept a tally of all the times I died by getting out of my ship without remembering to put my spacesuit on first.

I never forgot my spacesuit, somehow.

This reminds me of another thought I had recently: How many of y'all have accidentally microwaved a spoon/fork/other metal object? I was thinking about how even though I've done dumb things with a microwave, I've never actually made that particular mistake even though it seems really easy to just toss in a dish with a spoon/fork still on it to heat it up.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

This reminds me of another thought I had recently: How many of y'all have accidentally microwaved a spoon/fork/other metal object? I was thinking about how even though I've done dumb things with a microwave, I've never actually made that particular mistake even though it seems really easy to just toss in a dish with a spoon/fork still on it to heat it up.

Only once accidentally, as a child. But also on purpose as an theoretical adult on a quest for forbidden knowledge at a "microwave party" in college. The tongues of electricity sparking off metal utensils are neat, but the plasma balls that form in microwaved light bulbs are spectacular.

Is there a game with a crafting system that lets you accidentally bake your tools into the thing you're making? Feels like it should be a thing in a VR game somewhere.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Assassin's Creed entirely abandoning its really-very-good multiplayer has always stung

For a little while there, I told myself, "They're probably just spinning it off into a standalone game! They'd be fools to just abandon it!"

Sigh.

It's coming back any day now, along with the Splinter Cell multiplayer

Skull & Bones: releasing holiday 2018

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Assassin's Creed entirely abandoning its really-very-good multiplayer has always stung

For a little while there, I told myself, "They're probably just spinning it off into a standalone game! They'd be fools to just abandon it!"

Sigh.

It's coming back any day now, along with the Splinter Cell multiplayer

Skull & Bones: releasing holiday 2018

Oh wow, should be out soon then!

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »

Do not, and this is important, put metal in the science oven.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    The Assassin's Creed multiplayer was so good, I absolutely loved pretending to be an AI in a crowd and successfully fooling someone who runs up and stabs a computer ghost, then bopping them on the head and running away. It was almost cartoonish, like you make them look like a complete fool and then just run away giggling!

And hey, speaking of gameplay from Assassin's Creed being spun off into its own game, have we heard fuckin' anything from that Black Flag pirate ship game they were making? It feels like it was forever ago that they last talked about it

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    The Assassin's Creed multiplayer was so good, I absolutely loved pretending to be an AI in a crowd and successfully fooling someone who runs up and stabs a computer ghost, then bopping them on the head and running away. It was almost cartoonish, like you make them look like a complete fool and then just run away giggling!

And hey, speaking of gameplay from Assassin's Creed being spun off into its own game, have we heard fuckin' anything from that Black Flag pirate ship game they were making? It feels like it was forever ago that they last talked about it

yeah, it's coming out holiday 2018

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

yeah, it's coming out holiday 2018

Oh good, something to look forward to

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    It looked cool, but it kinda made combat really boring for me. I'd have 10 guys attack me and just instantly kill all of them one after the other.

At that point why even have guards?

Also this new game will let you dual wield shields and I'm 100% down for that.

I think a big part of the solution to this is "don't have so many goddamn guards."

Much like a big part of the solution to almost every problem AC has is "don't have so many goddamn [insert noun here]."

The new combat system makes it easier for them to make interesting boss fights, certainly, but I don't think it really does anything for how tedious the normal combat is when you fuck up your stealth (or they force you into it). I avoid combat in AC Odyssey not because it's dangerous, but because combat against large groups is still a boring, repetitive slog where I mash the right bumper, use the same 3 abilities over and over, and sometimes parry people. Whenever I approached one of those giant fortresses in Odyssey, I prayed I wouldn't screw up early on; because if I did, it would mean grinding through 20 dudes and the 3 or 4 mercenaries who would home in on my location like everyone in this universe has a magic GPS eagle like mine.

If I had my way, we'd go back to the earlier parry-to-instant-kill system, but make it so guards don't just take turns attacking. This would make fights against 1 dude easy, against 2 risky but doable, against 3 challenging, and against 4 or more very inadvisable. But more importantly, make getting back into stealth easier, so when the jig is up you're less tempted to try sticking it out and instead encouraged to shake them off and come back with a different approach. Hell, you could maybe even have it so that if the guards are alerted, some of them might change their normal patrol route, which could actually make it a good idea to intentionally get spotted and then slip away in order to more easily reach your actual target (or pick the guards off).

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    In odyssey, the insta-kill attack is kicking them off ledges

• Options
    It isn't actually insta-kill you gotta kick them off then wait for them to run back up then kick them again

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    It isn't actually insta-kill you gotta kick them off then wait for them to run back up then kick them again

When does their pet bear get involved

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Only the most pious will be chosen to be sacrificed on the alter of Bobby Kotick's stock portfolio.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I unlocked and fully upgraded the “turn your bow into a middle launcher” ability in Origins and it works pretty good against groups.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    You launch middles at them?

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Middling damage missiles. It does take two or three to kill tougher soldiers.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Started playing Dying Light this weekend.

I was expecting leveling up Power would just give me better attack options with weapons.

I was not expecting the fucking Foot of Destiny.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Dying Light is a very fun coop game

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Yeah Dying Light gets real wild after a bit

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Goddammit, you all made me buy Disco Elysium

Now I just have to find time to play it

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Yeah Dying Light gets real wild after a bit

There's definitely something to be said for kicking a zombie into a flying 180 degree ragdoll spin and watching its head pop like a watermelon as it bounces off the side of the truck you just launched it into.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Too many games.

I have Disco Elysium sitting, like, right there. My brother gifted it to me for my birthday this year.
    I mean, I'm still playing Divinity:OS2, which he gifted me 2 years ago, with maybe another 40+ hours to play.

And then there's the Witcher 3 Blood & Wine expansion. And Kentuky Route Zero, been in the backlog for... 3? years now?
    Dead Cells just dropped a new content update, and I've only just earned my first boss cell. Plus it's been about 6 months since I last picked up Civ VI, so I'm probably due, and I'm kinda keen to pick up FTL for a couple runs again, too.

Don't even get me started on the itch.io bundle...

Despite all this, I'm certain Obra Dinn and Outer Wilds are very my jam, and if I buy them both together I can probably trigger the sale discount, so I am >|this|< close to pulling the trigger on them...

Interestingly, Anno 1800 still hasn't come back to Steam in time for the Summer Sale, despite being Epic/UbiStore exclusive since April last year. They might be saving it for holiday 2020, but it's possible nope, they're just not going to release it on Steam at this point.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    im listening back through the disco elysium soundtrack and tearing up

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Aaaaand now I have an Xbox PC Gamepass subscription. Surprisingly, there is a healthy amount of games available that are currently on various wishlists of mine.

First comes Horizon 4, though.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

i did not like the multi but i loved the co-op in Unity. That was a freaking blast if you had voice chat

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    PC thread halp.
    Mass Effect 3 is being weird with my audio settings. In the game config you can set the audio output device for voice chat, but can't set the device for game audio. I can set the output device for the ME3 application at the Windows level through the advanced sound settings control panel, but it only lasts until I restart the application. When I launch it again, it's coming through the speakers again, even though the settings still show my headset. I have to switch it back to speakers then to headset in order to fix it. Is there an ini file or something I can set for this?
    Edit: I tried using a nircmd batch file to switch it, like
    nircmd.exe setappvolume "MassEffect3.exe" 1 "Speakers"
    nircmd.exe setappvolume "MassEffect3.exe" 1 "Logitech Headset"

but that doesn't seem to work. Not sure if there's a different command I should be using. That seemed the closest at a glance.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I need to get back into Witcher 3 - I took the boat to Skellige in the first act of the game and decided on that as a brief stopping point, and that was three and a half months ago now

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    PC thread halp.
    Mass Effect 3 is being weird with my audio settings. In the game config you can set the audio output device for voice chat, but can't set the device for game audio. I can set the output device for the ME3 application at the Windows level through the advanced sound settings control panel, but it only lasts until I restart the application. When I launch it again, it's coming through the speakers again, even though the settings still show my headset. I have to switch it back to speakers then to headset in order to fix it. Is there an ini file or something I can set for this?
    Edit: I tried using a nircmd batch file to switch it, like
    nircmd.exe setappvolume "MassEffect3.exe" 1 "Speakers"
    nircmd.exe setappvolume "MassEffect3.exe" 1 "Logitech Headset"

but that doesn't seem to work. Not sure if there's a different command I should be using. That seemed the closest at a glance.

Reminds me of how, years and years ago, Crysis wouldn't output sound over HDMI when nothing else had that problem.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    I need to get back into Witcher 3 - I took the boat to Skellige in the first act of the game and decided on that as a brief stopping point, and that was three and a half months ago now

I also stopped at some point on Skellige. I think I had just met up with Yennefer again? Maybe slightly later.

The Backlog claims all of us.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I wrapped up my replay of New Vegas, so now it's time to download Far Cry 5.

Yeah yeah, shut up, I like the Far Cry games, leave me alone.

At ~3MB/s it's ~18 gigs done, only another ~37 to go. I think I'll just leave my computer on overnight.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    far cry 5 is the weakest of em

the story is toothless at best and the gameplay doesn't really iterate on the previous ones

play primal, the story barely exists and you get be bombs and animals

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I now remember why I found the early levels of Dishonored 2 so fucking frustrating (compared to the mid and late game, which are amazing). The level designers got way too clever with where they hide runes and bone charms. I'm in the Addermire Institute and I can get within a couple feet of a corrupt bone charm, but can find no way into the room. I'm pretty sure I have to get it later in the level, but it's just sitting there taunting me and I hate it. I want whoever put it there to painfully stub their toe. Maybe even step on a Lego.

There's also the rune that was on the wall right in front of two guards sitting at a table. I was trying to do a non-lethal/ghost run, but it isn't possible to invisibly get that thing as Corvo without being able to stop time. So, that's another "fuck you" from the level designers.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    There’s a story some people tell at Ubisoft Toronto, the studio currently finishing one of this fall’s bigger planned releases, Watch Dogs: Legion. It goes something like this: Maxime Béland, one of its co-founders and, until last week, a 20-year veteran of Ubisoft, allegedly choked a female employee at a work party. Some heard it recited as a bizarre one-off. Others shared it as a warning to women at the studio to be wary of Béland.

Brolo on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Started Disco Elysium. This game is like, really good, huh? Lots of going back and forth between chuckling and getting teary eyed.

That Esprit De Corps check after phoning my station, man...

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

the story is toothless at best and the gameplay doesn't really iterate on the previous ones

I thought 5 was pretty good mechanically except for the changes to upgrades and the over-reliance on you getting unavoidably kidnapped for story missions. The story undeniably sucks ass but I just ignored it and pretended I was offing a white supremacist militia, which worked pretty well for me.

• Options
    edited July 2020

Eh, I played the demo at PAX a couple of years ago and it was fun, plus I own 5 on the Epic store and I don't own Primal.

Also as I Zimbra says I'm just going to slaughter some white supremacists.

I've got Wolfenstein 2 to play after this.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I Zimbra wrote: »

I thought 5 was pretty good mechanically except for the changes to upgrades and the over-reliance on you getting unavoidably kidnapped for story missions. The story undeniably sucks ass but I just ignored it and pretended I was offing a white supremacist militia, which worked pretty well for me.

Yeah. Far Cry 5 is my favourite game in the series despite having the worst story.

BionicPenguin on
This discussion has been closed.