As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"With the Power of God and [Anime] on my side...

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    cB557 wrote: »
    From what I hear the graphic rape is confined to episode one, and episode one is just really tonally dissonant with the rest of the series.

You heard wrong.
    Content warning break
    The goblins reproduce through assaulting human women, this is one of their main motivations as a species. They are the main antagonistic force of the series... hence the title. Even when they aren't depicting such actions on screen, it is both the text and subtext of everything going on.

jesus christ that's bad

fuck that series and whoever wrote it

honestly if someone recommended this to me without warning me about the content first, they'd lose recommendation privileges forever.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8uBu0t-Dt8

I haven't seen Afro Samurai but the Mugen choreography in this is 10/10.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Demon Slayer is the anti-Goblin Slayer in that it's extremely good and well made. Also watch out for Rise of the Shield Hero which also gets recommended with Goblin Slayer. Certainly it also has problematic elements in its story, but it's also just incredibly boring.

If you really want some classic D&D Anime, Record of the Lodoss War is a great purchase.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Paladin wrote: »
    The appealing parts are the serious takes of the D&D style high fantasy genre that Japan is so fond of. This one has objectionable elements; it's not the only one, and you should have been forewarned. Is the former part something you were even looking for? If not, then they weren't considering you at all.

I told him I liked overlord, he told me I needed to check out goblin slayer..

I mean they both have the "realistic fantasy" trope, but while overlord the anime talks about sexual violence, it doesn't really show it, but the horrible things it does to a person

That goblin slayer scene really seemed like straight out of very bad hentai

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    From what I hear the graphic rape is confined to episode one, and episode one is just really tonally dissonant with the rest of the series.

You heard wrong.
    Content warning break
    The goblins reproduce through assaulting human women, this is one of their main motivations as a species. They are the main antagonistic force of the series... hence the title. Even when they aren't depicting such actions on screen, it is both the text and subtext of everything going on.

Fucking ew

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Man Record of Lodoss War I haven't heard that mentioned in forever.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Man Record of Lodoss War I haven't heard that mentioned in forever.

Yeah I watched that on MTV back in the day

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Its uh its a theme throughout the show

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    'Rape goblin slayer' probably wouldn't have lead to as big an audience as title. Would be more honest tho.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Goblin Slayer is a middle schooler's attempt at gritty fantasy.

I absolutely played D&D with that type when I was young.

• Options
    'Rape goblin slayer' probably wouldn't have lead to as big an audience as title. Would be more honest tho.
    In the series its kind of insane how awful these things are and they basically throw children at them. There are goblin victims at major levels of their government. Its a pity because the fights and non goblin stuff is neat. The Lizardman monk summons dinosaurs for buffs and is obsessed with cheese because his people dont have domestic mammals thats cool shit!

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Goblin Slayer's trash. There's a tiny bit of something interesting there, with a top-ranked adventurer pathologically devoted to wiping out a pest species, but everything else about the world is set up to justify rape. Anyone who recommends it, either seriously or as a joke, shouldn't be listened to.

Grimgar does a better job of being a more realistic fantasy setting where goblins are a threat, and I don't recall anything too objectionable otherwise.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    Goblin Slayer's trash. There's a tiny bit of something interesting there, with a top-ranked adventurer pathologically devoted to wiping out a pest species, but everything else about the world is set up to justify rape. Anyone who recommends it, either seriously or as a joke, shouldn't be listened to.

Grimgar does a better job of being a more realistic fantasy setting where goblins are a threat, and I don't recall anything too objectionable otherwise.

I assume the twist in that is
    The "Goblins" are other isekai victims and magic is making them see the other side as monsters

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular

The "Goblins" are other isekai victims and magic is making them see the other side as monsters

that's still massively fucked up

• Options
    Anzekay wrote: »

that's still massively fucked up

Oh no the whole premise is fucked.
    Kids are isekaied into a weird tower with most of their memories wiped then told by some old dude to get the fuck out and join the army/guild to make money

• Options
    I think they think you are still talking about Goblin Slayer

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Burn the Witch was very cool, very stylish designs glad to see Kubo doing cool shit again.

The names are great lol.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Does it tie into Bleach in any way?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »

Only technically in that Wing Bind is labelled "Soul Society Western Branch". That's the entire extent of it. Really, it doesn't make sense imo, but.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Also it brings back the most tacked on part of Bleach, the kido spells that never worked on anyone unless Aizen was using them

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Also it brings back the most tacked on part of Bleach, the kido spells that never worked on anyone unless Aizen was using them

kido worked on jobbers all the time! until it didn't!

they looked cool at least

• Options
    edited October 2020
    also, the first 2 episodes of Goblin Slayer are like if a 15 year old read the Qlippoth part of Berserk and thought it was cool instead of fucked up and lacked the finesse or artistic talents of miura

after episode 2 it just becomes a boring and way more tame show with some cool fights sometimes

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Polaritie wrote: »

Only technically in that Wing Bind is labelled "Soul Society Western Branch". That's the entire extent of it. Really, it doesn't make sense imo, but.

The idea is that the extremely Japan-themed Soul Society we see in Bleach is the local afterlife, built based on the cultural identity of the people who die in that corner of the world. So, the afterlife in other parts of the world would have different appearances.

I don't know why the Soul Society still looks/works like feudal Japan, but I guess some sacrifices need to be made if you want to write a story about ghost samurai.

Enlong on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

The idea is that the extremely Japan-themed Soul Society we see in Bleach is the local afterlife, built based on the cultural identity of the people who die in that corner of the world. So, the afterlife in other parts of the world would have different appearances.

That doesn't make sense though. Reverse London is the secret wizard side of the UK not it's afterlife. Harry Potter with Dragon Pokemon. If Pokemon government executed people for getting near Pokemon without being licensed Trainers.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

I don't know why the Soul Society still looks/works like feudal Japan, but I guess some sacrifices need to be made if you want to write a story about ghost samurai.

People in Soul Society 'live' a really long time. Yamamoto is hundreds of years old, I believe. So it looks like that because that's what it looked like when they organized it. It's got computers and machines now because modern people still pop up and introduce tech, but the people in charge don't/won't change the basis of the society. Hence the executing Rukia stuff and all the other beaurucratic problems in the last manga arc.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    I'm way late catching up on this thread and I cant believe I missed keijo talk

It rules and I trick people into watching it regularly

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    I guess the Dragons in Burn the Witch are supposed to be the Hollow equivalent.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I'm way late catching up on this thread and I cant believe I missed keijo talk

It rules and I trick people into watching it regularly

I'm about halfway done now. You could make all the characters dudes and replace any mention of boobs/butts with fists and this would slide right into Shonen Jump with basically no other edits necessary.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    The idea of the entire series of Bleach just being a local problem super does not work with the world ending threats presented near the ending. You could try to say it's like MiB where all the different versions have similar levels of problems, but that makes the story much MORE stupid imo. At least Naruto's Great Ninja War brought powerful fighters from all over the world because the problem was to that level.

• Options
    The idea of the entire series of Bleach just being a local problem super does not work with the world ending threats presented near the ending. You could try to say it's like MiB where all the different versions have similar levels of problems, but that makes the story much MORE stupid imo. At least Naruto's Great Ninja War brought powerful fighters from all over the world because the problem was to that level.

it's fine

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Moth 13 wrote: »

But... they're apparently just random weird creatures. It really makes no sense to connect them at all.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Demon Slayer is the anti-Goblin Slayer in that it's extremely good and well made. Also watch out for Rise of the Shield Hero which also gets recommended with Goblin Slayer. Certainly it also has problematic elements in its story, but it's also just incredibly boring.

If you really want some classic D&D Anime, Record of the Lodoss War is a great purchase.

Yeah Shield Hero is slickly produced absolute trash that gets heavily marketed since it’s a Crunchyroll coproduction.

I have known people that get into it because of the hype around it without thinking about the really awful shit that happens in that series, from the misogyny to the pro-slavery messages to the magically aged up child love interest.

• Options
    Moth 13 wrote: »

But... they're apparently just random weird creatures. It really makes no sense to connect them at all.

it's fine

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »

Yeah Shield Hero is slickly produced absolute trash that gets heavily marketed since it’s a Crunchyroll coproduction.

I have known people that get into it because of the hype around it without thinking about the really awful shit that happens in that series, from the misogyny to the pro-slavery messages to the magically aged up child love interest.

raphtalia is incredibly big yikes energy

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I think the isekai genre has slowed down quite a bit. I also think it will continue to slow down as social norms have become rare and sought after instead of something oppressive to escape from

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    PiptheFair wrote: »

They make her a child for one episode and is essentially raised by the protagonist, then they age and sex her up because magic so she can be a sexy love interest

Just skip that first bit! All it does is make things hella creepy! You'd only put that in because you're hella creepy!

Also she starts out as a slave of the protagonist (who he bought because he's so nice and the slave master was mean). Later her magic slave spells get broken but she says no I like being a slave, please cast the slave magics again, and then they do

That's not even getting into the other harem member who is a child the protagonist also raised who also wants to get with him

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I think the isekai genre has slowed down quite a bit. I also think it will continue to slow down as social norms have become rare and sought after instead of something oppressive to escape from

We’re back in demon king vs hero town for generic fantasy anime

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

They make her a child for one episode and is essentially raised by the protagonist, then they age and sex her up because magic so she can be a sexy love interest

Just skip that first bit! All it does is make things hella creepy! You'd only put that in because you're hella creepy!

Also she starts out as a slave of the protagonist (who he bought because he's so nice and the slave master was mean). Then her magic slave spells get broken but she says no I like being a slave, please cast the slave magics again, and then they do

That's not even getting into the other harem member who is a child the protagonist also raised who also wants to get with him

tenor.gif

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Slavery is bad. Always. No, it's not just a particular bad slave-owner who can only be defeated by a good guy with a gun who owns slaves. It's bad. Treating people as things is bad. Always. Ever.

This shouldn't even be a thing that needs to be said, but apparently it's a whole-ass thing in terrible fantasy anime these days.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

I think some of that is anime as a whole having slowed down quite a bit.

This discussion has been closed.