As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dealing with [Racism at Home]

13»

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    After the blow up with my mother last week, I thought things would calm down with her but nope, she's back on Facebook, this time on another cousin's thread (not the racist one) decrying PC culture and how confusing it is. She doesn't "want" to be racist, you see, it's just that PC culture keeps changing the rules and they're being so unreasonable! All she wants to do is sing the song about a Little Chinaman she learned as a child and not be made to feel bad about it!

Don't you understand how hard this is for her?

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    It's funny watching the 'outrage' over the recent decisions by NASCAR and others to ban the confederate flag. From the constant demonstrating of not understanding what the 1st amendment is/isn't to threats of boycott. Cuz yeah, those boycotts worked out so well against Nike and the NFL.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »
    It's funny watching the 'outrage' over the recent decisions by NASCAR and others to ban the confederate flag. From the constant demonstrating of not understanding what the 1st amendment is/isn't to threats of boycott. Cuz yeah, those boycotts worked out so well against Nike and the NFL.

Which is all silly, NASCAR still waves the true flag of the Confederacy to signify the last lap of every race.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    VoodooV wrote: »

Which is all silly, NASCAR still waves the true flag of the Confederacy to signify the last lap of every race.

Since I'm proudly clueless of all things NASCAR, I have no problems admitting that I had to look up what that color was. Well played sir, well played :)

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I knew it was a white flag it took me a moment to connect the joke though and it’s fantastic

• Options
    my first guess was yellow, which still sorta works :)

• Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I had a family chat last weekend. My boomer mother has never been racist, but I was still surprised she was talking about white privilege, what it means, how hard it is to accept that you have it, and what can you do with this knowledge to help minorities in the UK. Considering none of us have *ever* talked to her about this, and she spends 90% of her time on Facebook, I wonder where she started reading about it. It's nice nonetheless.

Antinumeric on
    In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    So what should we do when coworkers make it known that they’ll take any workplace conversation about the protests as an offense to their right “to not have to deal with this political shit?”

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    So what should we do when coworkers make it known that they’ll take any workplace conversation about the protests as an offense to their right “to not have to deal with this political shit?”

While I'm sure there are people using the claim as a cover for the fact that they're unhappy that people are discussing the pro-BLM side openly and don't have the support to shout them down, there is legitimately a lot of stressful shit going on right now and I can understand people not wanting to be involved in discussing this sort of thing at work.

But they also don't have any right to shut down all discussion about the topic among other people at work, assuming people are being respectful and not offensive in some way. I wouldn't be bothered if they don't want to discuss the issue, but I also wouldn't feel obligated to never talk about it with coworkers who are willing to discuss the protests.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Lot of the time people complain about having to deal with this political shit and then proceed to talk about this political shit all the fucking time. What they really mean is they don't want to talk about political shit that makes them uncomfortable.

• Options

While I'm sure there are people using the claim as a cover for the fact that they're unhappy that people are discussing the pro-BLM side openly and don't have the support to shout them down, there is legitimately a lot of stressful shit going on right now and I can understand people not wanting to be involved in discussing this sort of thing at work.

But they also don't have any right to shut down all discussion about the topic among other people at work, assuming people are being respectful and not offensive in some way. I wouldn't be bothered if they don't want to discuss the issue, but I also wouldn't feel obligated to never talk about it with coworkers who are willing to discuss the protests.

I’m having a very hard time seeing extreme opposition to conversation as anything other than a desire to not expose their being racist. Maybe that’s my fault, but constantly stating to people that you don’t want to hear any BLM conversation seems agenda-driven.

And boomers of any affiliation are fucking worthless. Either they’re proud pig-stupid bigots or unhelpful appeasers who prefer compromising with evil for the sake of calm.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

And boomers of any affiliation are fucking worthless. Either they’re proud pig-stupid bigots or unhelpful appeasers who prefer compromising with evil for the sake of calm.

What about Martin Gugino? Obviously a huge lefty and got a broken skull for his troubles.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

I’m having a very hard time seeing extreme opposition to conversation as anything other than a desire to not expose their being racist. Maybe that’s my fault, but constantly stating to people that you don’t want to hear any BLM conversation seems agenda-driven.

I can agree that they have every right not to participate in the conversation, but they have utterly zero right to silence those conversations. As long as the conversation is civil and doesn't violate workplace laws, I don't think it matters worth a shit (personally or professionally) if they're unhappy with a discussion they aren't involved in. They don't have to speak with anyone about it, but they don't get to shut the conversations down either. But trying to force the conversation on them is straight harassment; it doesn't matter if they're trying to hide being bigoted or whatever, they have protection from being forced into a conversation just as anyone else has protection to have a conversation.

As long as the BLM conversation isn't drifting into any kind of territory like advocating illegal acts, there shouldn't be a damned thing that somebody objecting to the discussion can do to actually stop the conversations from happening. Somebody might secretly hate baseball, but that doesn't mean their coworkers aren't allowed to talk about baseball simply because of their own opinions.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options

What about Martin Gugino? Obviously a huge lefty and got a broken skull for his troubles.

That dude was an Antifa mastermind who had a death-ray

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

That dude was an Antifa mastermind who had a death-ray
    LOL.

But seriously, he was definitely a boomer just as passionate about left-wing causes as any 20-year-old might be.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    spool32 wrote: »
    My dad's dying of cancer. He's in remission right now but it's going to kill him - smoker forever, lung cancer.
    We lived in the same city for ~20 years and I only saw him a few times. He doesn't know any of the kids, who all grew up next to him but never knew who he was apart from the occasional story.
    When I was a kid, one of the guiding principles of his effort to raise us was breaking down racism and teaching us to abhor and oppose it. I think he did a pretty great job, especially for where we lived and the times we lived in.
    He disappeared into the Fox News bubble and became increasingly radicalized. We hardly even text anymore.

I really miss him. Someday in the next few years he'll be dead, and I probably won't ever know what happened to change him from the person who raised me to the person he is. Was it the right thing to do? Making it so he doesn't exist for our kids? It's done now, they're all grown and he'll be gone soon. But it's sad. I wanted them to know who he was. I want him to be who he was, so I can talk to that person a few times before he's gone.

It's really sad.

This was my Great Aunt Marian.

I grew up going out to her farm a few times a year (more than I saw my paternal grandparents actually since they spent all but 2-3 months in Arizona every year). She was the kindest most openhearted person I think I've ever met. Never had a bad thing to say about anyone or any situation. Like she literally looked for the positives in the L.A. riots saying she hoped things changed for the better there and that the LAPD had learned it's lesson.

And that's who she continued to be until I graduated and moved out. But then I didn't see her for quite awhile because moving out on my own+family gatherings just becoming more infrequent.

When I did see her again she was just... not the same person. She was filled with hate and fear. About Obama. About Democrats. About immigrants (nevermind that her parents had been immigrants). About socalism. About China. About, well, everything. I was so confused. It's like she had an evil twin that murdered her and took her place or something.

I talked to my mom about it and apparently the nursing home she now lived in had Fox News on in the rec room and that was it.

The worst part was being at her funeral and trying to remember her as the kindhearted person I knew growing up and not the person she was turned into. I couldn't do it looking at her in the casket. It wasn't until the reception when I was looking at the picture boards that I could see that in her again.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I have a strict no political discussion at work rule for myself that I actually follow. It was really annoying when people kept trying to push me in to it.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    I have a strict no political discussion at work rule for myself that I actually follow. It was really annoying when people kept trying to push me in to it.

I'm just frustrated by the fact that discussing how, you know, maybe police shouldn't be killing people for no reason is considered a political discussion. Like, am I supposed to give due consideration to the position that no, sometimes police just need to do some indiscriminate killing? Am I an asshole for not properly considering that position?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

I'm just frustrated by the fact that discussing how, you know, maybe police shouldn't be killing people for no reason is considered a political discussion. Like, am I supposed to give due consideration to the position that no, sometimes police just need to do some indiscriminate killing? Am I an asshole for not properly considering that position?

Not at all. And my preference isn’t because it makes me uncomfortable. I just don’t want to spend time on what most of the time essentially performance. I’m politically active in my private life and would rather not join in on Shouting Match #27.

• Options

Not at all. And my preference isn’t because it makes me uncomfortable. I just don’t want to spend time on what most of the time essentially performance. I’m politically active in my private life and would rather not join in on Shouting Match #27.

I understand that, I do. It's just that in these times, I can't help but feel that, when confronted with obvious racism, whether at work or at home, I have a social obligation to confront it, regardless of its impact on my personal or professional relationships. I feel like our duty to humanity demands that we must sometimes transcend our duties to family or work when faced with blatant evil, for lack of a better term.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    My workplace is banned from political discussion by law. (Federal).
    It still happens occasionally, and i always wonder "it's there someone in this room that dislikes me enough to report me were i to join in".

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    My workplace is banned from political discussion by law. (Federal).
    It still happens occasionally, and i always wonder "it's there someone in this room that dislikes me enough to report me were i to join in".

I'm also a public servant, so I feel you. That said, we need to acknowledge that what is happening in the world right now affects everyone, including their ability to do their job in a fair and impartial matter. Ignoring this fact for the sake of the status quo is actually a contributor to our society's continued inability to address the problem. I feel strongly that there be a need to distinguish between "Political discussion" and "Moral obligation".

I do not have a duty to protect the feelings of virulent racists for the sake of work harmony. Demanding people stay quiet about these topics serves only to shield and embolden racists while cowing and intimidating people who feel oppressed. This attitude, in my opinion, is a part of the status quo that has allowed this problem within our society to perpetuate for so long, because people refuse to talk about it unless they're in a "safe" or academic environment.

To be blunter about it, I don't believe racists are entitled to safe spaces. They want to be shitbags, then they should be prepared to defend their shitbag ideals wherever they go. Don't like it? Good! Change, then!