As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magic The Gathering Arena] Kamigawa; where Keanu plays some sort of Cyborg Rat Ninja

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    metaghost wrote: »
    The Renewal Gifts aren't supposed to give you shit that literally just rotated out of Standard, right?

qg1bh7c34pwx.jpg

Oh, so that's why they took the game back down. Enjoy the wildcards you'll probably get, I guess?

That those only go up through Eldraine makes me think they just forgot to update the sets the gifts are supposed to pull from.

Sprout on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Oh no, today is the day my Ajani pridemates go away :(

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure I feel good about the fact that the Lifegain decks in standard now (basically all) run 4*Elixir.

• Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    Looks like rogues are the "coolest" tribe to make work from this new set, but I just want to make a warriors deck and make some cowards shake in their shoes!

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I forgot that Arena was getting patched today, how long does maintenance usually go for?

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I forgot that Arena was getting patched today, how long does maintenance usually go for?

It said 3 hours or so. I got back in close to an hour ago but performance was terrible.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Technically it's done but *looks at black screen where logging in should be happening* things are a little unstable.

• Options
    Armoroc wrote: »
    Looks like rogues are the "coolest" tribe to make work from this new set, but I just want to make a warriors deck and make some cowards shake in their shoes!

Grr. I don't like playing decks that are too popular, but I've been playing monoblack rogues in historic and having fun with them for the past couple of weeks and was looking forward to doing something in standard with the new rogues. Hmm.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I got in and received a second, more appropriate Renewal.

Then I seemingly became disconnected from the server and could only look at my collection.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Finally opened my M21 packs. This is the longest I've ever had to wait, thanks to the renewal rewards.

I totally struck out on Garruk's Harbinger and, tragically, Ugin, with zero copies each. I got at least one or two copies of all the other mythics (which is probably fine; none of these planeswalkers strike me as four-ofs in any deck).

I got all the temples except one lone copy of Triumph. Pretty safe one to miss, in my opinion. (I'm also short one Deceit and one Abandon from Theros.)

4/4 Thieves' Guild Enforcers, 4/4 Stormings, 4/4 Primal Might. These were all staples that I was worried about missing, so glad to have those.

Got 2/4 Solemn Simulacrum, 1/4 Radha, and 3/4 Oozes. Those are probably my most likely potential rare wildcard expenditures from this set.

My dragon's hoard of wildcards is at 32 mythic, 82 rare, 111 uncommon, and 103 common, having spent essentially nothing my entire first year (except for three Embercleaves and four Brazen Borrowers). Now that I've been actively playing for every set in Standard, I feel like I can relax a little bit; I shouldn't have a hard time picking up stuff I missed. Although the fact that sets are larger this year and there's a double-set coming next year does kind of undermine that...

My ten ICRs included an Agadeem's Awakening, two Nighthawk Scavengers, a Tajuru Paragon, a Linvala, and a Zagras (none of the pre-Zendikar ones were any good). Pretty good spread given that Dmir Rogues is the build I'm most interested in (I'd have killed for a Dmir pathway or a Zareth, but still).

My total unwillingness to craft Pathways prior to raredrafting is gonna hurt my ability to play constructed for a while, but that's just par for the course for me. Barring the land problems, Temur Adventures and Izzet Spells are probably the decks I'm interested that can be made with the fewest Zendikar rares, and I'll probably attempt a budget Rogue deck a lot of the core is uncommons. I have doubts about the playability of old-style mono red with all the good 1-drops gone, but maybe I can force something through (I feel like I'm gonna want Intimidators, though).

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Playing Arena today is like watching them build the game as you play it. Rewards keep popping in and out of existence, one second you've nearly earned a pack, another you're five matches away and then it's just gone. Hope it remembers what cards i just cracked.

• Options
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Playing Arena today is like watching them build the game as you play it. Rewards keep popping in and out of existence, one second you've nearly earned a pack, another you're five matches away and then it's just gone. Hope it remembers what cards i just cracked.

With server issues like this it's almost always that the server is failing to get the data back to you as opposed to you failing to get data to the server, so everything should match what you've actually done when the issues fade.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    So, at 2EST I got in and attempted to draft. Server booted me when the first pack opened and I couldn't get back in until 5 mins ago and discovered a hot mess of a draft pool.

Is there an appropriate ticket to file for compensation, or do I just need to accept it was foolish to try and draft amidst this mess?

• Options
    metaghost wrote: »
    So, at 2EST I got in and attempted to draft. Server booted me when the first pack opened and I couldn't get back in until 5 mins ago and discovered a hot mess of a draft pool.

Is there an appropriate ticket to file for compensation, or do I just need to accept it was foolish to try and draft amidst this mess?

you should definitely try. I think at this point they'll just push your request through, what with everyone having similar issues.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Oh I think it's absolutely a foolhardy move to try and play drafts or ranked at the moment yeah, even opening packs or deck building is very hit or miss.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I'm not sure I feel good about the fact that the Lifegain decks in standard now (basically all) run 4*Elixir.

Mine doesn't. I've got a splash of green to get card draw and fight based removal which doubles as a way to get extra incidences of life gain from my life linkers. Also there a great synergy between life gain white and the druid who makes a cat on the second draw.

The 1/1 replacement for Ajani prodemate is so ssd though. A strictly worse sub for a deck which is far from being considered unfair! At least give it vigilance or something, or gain life equal to power on death.

• Options
    Well, hope they work their shit out by tomorrow. Gotta get my Scute tribal on!

• Options
    This might sound a bit mean but they don't design cards around preserving existing archetypes. It can seem that way when an existing powerful deck gets more cards that work for it, but that's the nature of powerful decks -- they didn't look at the deck and go, "it's losing A and B, so let's print X and Y to replace them."

The 1/1 replacement only exists because someone on the Arena team thought the NPE white deck should have that effect.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yeah just played a couple games and had to alt+f4 out of the game because it was stuck at 'Waiting for Server'.

Guess I'm done for today too.

• Options
    Yeah just played a couple games and had to alt+f4 out of the game because it was stuck at 'Waiting for Server'.

Guess I'm done for today too.

I managed to go 1-1 with an extremely bad W/B draft deck and since then it's just been an all-black screen.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    who could have possibly predicted that the launch day for a fall expansion and the first major expansion during a stay at home pandemic that happens to return to one of MTG's most popular planes might have demanded slightly more network resources than normal

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    admanb wrote: »
    This might sound a bit mean but they don't design cards around preserving existing archetypes. It can seem that way when an existing powerful deck gets more cards that work for it, but that's the nature of powerful decks -- they didn't look at the deck and go, "it's losing A and B, so let's print X and Y to replace them."

The 1/1 replacement only exists because someone on the Arena team thought the NPE white deck should have that effect.

I mean sure, but lifegain and counters is the white thing to do. Its kinda weak, but its fun sometimes. It would be as if they launched a set without any kind of blue counter spell. Or the new red shock cost two mana and did one damage.

• Options
    They probably did, but scaling resources isn't always as simple as rotating some dials and if there's one failure point it doesn't matter how scaled the rest of it is.

• Options
    It's very strange to see a bunch of single-color lands on the field in Standard on Arena. Normally I use basics vs. duals as the quickest way to identify whether a streamer is playing limited or constructed but that doesn't work anymore!

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    The worst part about rotation as an occasional spender and player is using my wildcards on mana base.

It feels so deflating.

• Options
    morgan_cokemorgan_coke Registered User regular
    Arena today reminds me of playing on MTGO. That's not a compliment.

XBL: Morgan Coke Yes, there is a space, not an underscore. I'm old school like that.
    Battle.net: morgancoke#1589

Titan's Creed: Jump first, don't ask questions, punch everything
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    tbloxham wrote: »

I mean sure, but lifegain and counters is the white thing to do. Its kinda weak, but its fun sometimes. It would be as if they launched a set without any kind of blue counter spell. Or the new red shock cost two mana and did one damage.

the power levels of color staples (examples like black removal, green ramp, blue control magic, red fling & treachery, and white wrath effects, etc.) fluctuate from one standard season to the next all the time. Sometimes (as in the case of blue control magic) they steadily decline because the powers that be decided that it was dialed too high for constructed. Usually, though, the power levels of monocolored commons & uncommons are tuned for limited.

sometimes we get Murder, sometimes we get Doom Blade, sometimes we get neither. Sometimes we get a Goblin lord, sometimes we don't. Sometimes we get Day of Judgment, and sometimes we get Planar Cleansing.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Docshifty wrote: »
    The worst part about rotation as an occasional spender and player is using my wildcards on mana base.

It feels so deflating.

The flip-side of that (haha get it?) is that as the format grows those wildcards you spent on lands are guaranteed to be useful in any deck that uses those colors.

• Options

It feels so deflating.

I still strongly believe in my (highly controversial) opinion that rotation is a bad thing for a card game, it only made sense in the late 90s when WotC needed to leave behind the era of Black Lotus, etc., and when they didn't know what the correct volume of reprints was. Nonrotating formats are better for players, as long as the reprint volumes are tuned correctly (which they've mostly figured out now). I was extremely disappointed when Hearthstone adopted a standard rotation format; I felt like they were mimicking Magic for no good reason.

But I also recognize that very few people agree with me on that.

• Options
    morgan_cokemorgan_coke Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

It feels so deflating.

I still strongly believe in my (highly controversial) opinion that rotation is a bad thing for a card game, it only made sense in the late 90s when WotC needed to leave behind the era of Black Lotus, etc., and when they didn't know what the correct volume of reprints was. Nonrotating formats are better for players, as long as the reprint volumes are tuned correctly (which they've mostly figured out now). I was extremely disappointed when Hearthstone adopted a standard rotation format; I felt like they were mimicking Magic for no good reason.

Rotation is mostly about moving product. You already have the old cards, they need to you to buy more to stay in business. Also, non-rotating formats eventually stagnate around combo/blue tempo/blue control and most everything else is forced out into obsolescence. Aggro strategies can't exist in large formats because they're not as fast as combo and lack interaction. In turn, this eliminates midrange strategies as they have no aggro to prey on, etc. etc.

But if you do want a nonrotating format, it's right there for you in Arena - Historic.

XBL: Morgan Coke Yes, there is a space, not an underscore. I'm old school like that.
    Battle.net: morgancoke#1589

Titan's Creed: Jump first, don't ask questions, punch everything
  • Options
    tbloxham wrote: »

the power levels of color staples (examples like black removal, green ramp, blue control magic, red fling & treachery, and white wrath effects, etc.) fluctuate from one standard season to the next all the time. Sometimes (as in the case of blue control magic) they steadily decline because the powers that be decided that it was dialed too high for constructed. Usually, though, the power levels of monocolored commons & uncommons are tuned for limited.

sometimes we get Murder, sometimes we get Doom Blade, sometimes we get neither. Sometimes we get a Goblin lord, sometimes we don't. Sometimes we get Day of Judgment, and sometimes we get Planar Cleansing.

And to expand on that, "a creature that grows as you gain life" isn't a white staple*. Lifegain and counters are consistent white mechanics, but there are no staples associated with them.

*there's a reasonable argument to be made that weak staples is a big part of why White is in such a bad place right now, but that's a different conversation.

• Options
    edited September 2020

It feels so deflating.

I have played a lot of steadily-expanding games both card and tabletop miniature and every one of them turned into a complete mess that could've been solved by introducing rotation.

Most of them try to do it by introducing a 2nd/3rd/etc edition, which is a band-aid fix that often exacerbates rather than solves the problems of non-rotating designs. RIP Warmahordes.

admanb on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

It feels so deflating.

I mean, Historic exists and has all the same options as Standard for play.

Hearthstone adopted a rotating format because balancing the game had become impossible.

• Options

It feels so deflating.

Rotation is mostly about moving product. You already have the old cards, they need to you to buy more to stay in business. Also, non-rotating formats eventually stagnate around combo/blue tempo/blue control and most everything else is forced out into obsolescence. Aggro strategies can't exist in large formats because they're not as fast as combo and lack interaction. In turn, this eliminates midrange strategies as they have no aggro to prey on, etc. etc.

But if you do want a nonrotating format, it's right there for you in Arena - Historic.

And I'm glad that Arena has committed to supporting Historic (and that WotC has committed to supporting Modern). Before Modern Masters 1 & Khans of Tarkir, nonrotating formats felt like WotC's unwanted stepchildren. I'm genuinely pleased that they have demonstrated that they do want to keep Historic & Modern healthy.

Now if we could just erase Brawl from existence, replace it with Historic French Commander, and convince the (non-French) Commander RC to be more aggressive with bannings, I'd be a happy camper.

• Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    COBRA IS A GODDAMN DEMON.

For real, if the enemy drops a cobra I'm seeing 12 lands by turn4.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

It feels so deflating.

And I'm glad that Arena has committed to supporting Historic (and that WotC has committed to supporting Modern). Before Modern Masters 1 & Khans of Tarkir, nonrotating formats felt like WotC's unwanted stepchildren. I'm genuinely pleased that they have demonstrated that they do want to keep Historic & Modern healthy.

Now if we could just erase Brawl from existence, replace it with Historic French Commander, and convince the (non-French) Commander RC to be more aggressive with bannings, I'd be a happy camper.

I do appreciate how we all had like three weeks of Pioneer being goddamned awesome (well one week of cat, then two weeks of it being awesome) and then basically gave up on it because lol inverter.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Also, at least all y'all can get into the game, I just get a black screen on launch.

I ate an engineer
  • Options

Did you know that if you mutate something onto Scute Swarm, that every landfall once you hit 6 lands creates a copy of the whole damn creature? So, for example, drop a land and get a free Gemrazer or Auspicious Starrix or whatever, and then they're all shitting out 1/1 Insect tokens too...

That was fun to learn about. Yeah...fun...

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Ketar wrote: »

Did you know that if you mutate something onto Scute Swarm, that every landfall once you hit 6 lands creates a copy of the whole damn creature? So, for example, drop a land and get a free Gemrazer or Auspicious Starrix or whatever, and then they're all shitting out 1/1 Insect tokens too...

yes. I did in fact know that, and i wish to educate others.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

Step one sounds like Migratory Greathorn.