As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magic The Gathering Arena] Kamigawa; where Keanu plays some sort of Cyborg Rat Ninja

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Why does Garruk's Harbinger have Hexproof from Black, and yet there doesn't seem to be any other Color-hate cards? Is it a flavor-thing? Or are the other color-hate cards much less obvious?

• Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    Basri's lieutenant has a nice protection from multicolour.

• Options
    I meant more: is there a cycle of specific color hate cards and I just can't perceive them for whatever reason?

Usually the existence of something specific like Hexproof from Black is indicative of similar effects elsewhere, but all I could find on that axis was Redcap Melee, which is more of a uh... self-hate card? And it's in a different set.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I think there's a Spider rare that's Hexproof from Blue in the same set but I could be misremembering

Mugsley on
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    Why does Garruk's Harbinger have Hexproof from Black, and yet there doesn't seem to be any other Color-hate cards? Is it a flavor-thing? Or are the other color-hate cards much less obvious?

I think they probably wanted to give it protection from removal so that it gets a chance to swing in and trigger, but not the total immunity hexproof would bring. Hexproof from black screens it from your black kill spells, and forces you to either bounce it, wrath, spend more than one red (and possibly multiple red cards) or remove it using one of the removal enchantments (which should be easy pickings for green from a colour pie perspective.) It's a neat idea, and something I wish they would play around with a little more because it opens some nice space up. Imagine a white blocker for control that's got hexproof from red and therefore forces RDW to swing, or a green creature that destroys enchantments with hexproof from white so it can't be O-ringed.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    With quick draft, I'm currently at 5-1 with RW Knights.
    The one loss being to mana screw, with a hand full of 4 cost and no fourth land.

Went to 7-2 with it:
    okg05ofhwbha.png
    2 losses were mana screw and mana flood.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I think there's a Spider rare that's Hexproof from Blue in the same set but I could be misremembering

Guessed I just skimmed over that Spider; so Green in particular got rares that oppose its enemy colors? Weird.

But I guess no more or less weird than them using the set as opportunity to print Mirage characters.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Imagine a white blocker for control that's got hexproof from red and therefore forces RDW to swing, or a green creature that destroys enchantments with hexproof from white so it can't be O-ringed.

White with hex:red will happen someday.

Green with hex:white will not unless something weird is going on in that set, like an "allies turn against each other" theme.

Guessed I just skimmed over that Spider; so Green in particular got rares that oppose its enemy colors? Weird.

Green is the color that most relies on creatures thus the one more vulnerable to removal. One of green's enemies is literally the best color at killing creatures. Green is also the color of evolution and natural selection...

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    It's consistent (sort of) with the last core set that had the cycle of creatures with protection from a color, and green got the only rare one (Shifting Ceratops).

• Options
    Airking850Airking850 Ottawa, ONRegistered User regular
    I meant more: is there a cycle of specific color hate cards and I just can't perceive them for whatever reason?

There's the M20 color hate spell cycle with aether gust, devout decree, fry, etc.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I think the general theme for green creatures design is Key Word Madlibs.

• Options
    I think there's a Spider rare that's Hexproof from Blue in the same set but I could misremembering
    The one loss being to mana screw, with a hand full of 4 cost and no fourth land.

Went to 7-2 with it:
    okg05ofhwbha.png

I thought I had a decent RW Knights deck and went 1-3. I'll try to add a screenshot later because I'm wondering if maybe I should have just built better.

Honestly every time I go to play out a draft deck, I feel like I'm going to brick while the opponent curves out.

• Options
    I think there's a Spider rare that's Hexproof from Blue in the same set but I could misremembering

Went to 7-2 with it:
    okg05ofhwbha.png

I thought I had a decent RW Knights deck and went 1-3. I'll try to add a screenshot later because I'm wondering if maybe I should have just built better.

Honestly every time I go to play out a draft deck, I feel like I'm going to brick while the opponent curves out.

Honestly, a couple of these games were won by the opponent doing nothing the first couple of turns whilst I ran a pumped weasel into their face.
    And I didn't find an effective BG food deck, although I did meet one who had an eye collector out and not much else, being one of the aforementioned.

Anyway, Outflank + dude making adventures is good. Flame ritual or Knight lord plus going wide is also good.
    Double-striker is good.
    Most other things that apply pressure for cheap are good (weasel, princess, embereth)

Shining armour was not so good. Probably need it with vigilance matters deck.

• Options
    I thought I had a decent base.

2x Syr Carah
    Youthful Knight
    The 2/2 token maker Knight
    Weasel
    2x Fire
    White adamant Knight
    2x Joust
    2x Embereth Pal
    Knight-casting land

Other stuff I can't remember

I had the Oakhame Ranger but didn't run it since I thought WWWW was a heavy cost in a dual color deck

• Options
    edited August 2020
    It's also possible they I'm not exactly playing great opponents due to being in silver.
    Which is what happens when you don't draft much I guess.

Although I've played a Mythic as Bronze before when on a winning streak, but this time I don't think I got paired with anyone above Gold.

Oakhome Ranger I ran because he was more bodies on the board and +1 to everything seemed good if I was already wide.
    He won my last match after hitting only top decks, and didn't see him otherwise though.
    He wouldn't have been in there aside I was worried for the mill-decks though (which I don't think I came across)

discrider on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    wlrq26jhh4vn.png

7-2 in Turbo-Draft, which is a hilariously fun format. Crystals are Moxen, Adaptive Shimmerers are some of the best cards, and my land count probably could have been even lower. Thwart the Enemy and the Momentum Rumblers were totally useless and I probably should have subbed in Tentative Connections or cycling cards, which I opted not to run because I didn't have any sacrifice outlets but would have let me power through lethal here and there.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    BoomerAang SquadBoomerAang Squad Registered User regular
    oiictzpxmayn.jpg

Just a day left, and made Mythic for the 2nd time!

• Options
    These offset rotation schedules confuse me. Why isn't rank reset lined up with Mastery reset?

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    These offset rotation schedules confuse me. Why isn't rank reset lined up with Mastery reset?

Mastery reset is based on the set release. Set release is determined by big business/printing/marketing nonsense and tying the ranked system to that would be annoying.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

Mastery reset is based on the set release. Set release is determined by big business/printing/marketing nonsense and tying the ranked system to that would be annoying.

and also would reset/reward on a way longer schedule

like rank resets and gives out rewards 12 times a year. Sets release 4 times a year

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    oiictzpxmayn.jpg

Grats! What decklist?

• Options
    edited August 2020
    3clipse wrote: »

Grats! What decklist?

Mostly used this Orzhov Yorion deck below. Attacks their hand, permanents, and graveyard! If you can chain Yorion and Prince with other permanents, you usually win.
    Companion
    1 Yorion, Sky Nomad (IKO) 232

Deck
    4 Agonizing Remorse (THB) 83
    4 Burglar Rat (GRN) 64
    1 Castle Ardenvale (ELD) 238
    3 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
    4 Charming Prince (ELD) 8
    4 Doom Foretold (ELD) 187
    3 Elspeth Conquers Death (THB) 13
    1 Elspeth, Sun's Nemesis (THB) 14
    4 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
    3 Glass Casket (ELD) 15
    4 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
    2 Indatha Triome (IKO) 248
    3 Kaya, Orzhov Usurper (RNA) 186
    3 Mortify (RNA) 192
    4 Oath of Kaya (WAR) 209
    7 Plains (ANB) 115
    1 Savai Triome (IKO) 253
    9 Swamp (ANB) 116
    4 Temple of Silence (M20) 256
    3 Treacherous Blessing (THB) 117
    4 Yarok's Fenlurker (M20) 123
    3 Yorion, Sky Nomad (IKO) 232
    2 Kaya's Wrath (RNA) 187

Sideboard
    2 Despark (WAR) 190
    4 Duress (M21) 96
    1 Glass Casket (ELD) 15
    1 Kaya's Wrath (RNA) 187
    4 Rotting Regisaur (M20) 111
    1 Yorion, Sky Nomad (IKO) 232
    1 Elspeth, Sun's Nemesis (THB) 14
    1 Treacherous Blessing (THB) 117

Sometimes switch to a stock mono red list if I've hit a rut.

BoomerAang Squad on
  • Options
    Awesomed for mythic Kaya deck,
    Boo to Kaya rotating out.

• Options
    Yeah Kaya did WORK in the mirror, in the second to last match for Mythic. Drained them for 13, then Yorion delivered the finishing blow.

• Options
    Playing debuff in ranked diamond.
    3 wins.
    2 Ugins.
    Back to the Play queue I guess.

• Options
    o8y5qfy3hxl4.jpeg

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    I've said it before but my favorite thing in this game remains taking a pile of shit you built specifically to complete a quest into ranked and winning anyway. (Even if it was only bronze tier.)

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    le turbodraft

P1P1: Keruga the MacroTurbosage
    P2P1: Illuna, Apex of Wishes

alrighty lets do dis

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I mean, I'd rather an Auspicious Starrix over Illuna. It's not a format that 3-pip cards are particularly valuable in and Starrix's trigger is stronger when you're probably running 10 mana-sources at most (and getting a mana source lets you storm off that turn anyway).

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    I mean, I'd rather an Auspicious Starrix over Illuna. It's not a format that 3-pip cards are particularly valuable in.

Starrix was my P3P2. I didn't see one until then.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Well, I went 7-2 in a little under an hour. Starrix was better but Illuna was still very very good.

• Options
    From a couple of turbo-drafts, it does seem to be an incredibly soft format. People draft bad cards and run normal amounts of lands, when Sultai+ Mutate with ~10 sources including rocks runs over that super easily. Plus, Adaptive Shimmerers and Dart Traps don't get bot drafted at all, and are absurd in the format.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    I've said it before but my favorite thing in this game remains taking a pile of shit you built specifically to complete a quest into ranked and winning anyway. (Even if it was only bronze tier.)

Oh so you're the guy with 60SpotRemoval.dek

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    From a couple of turbo-drafts, it does seem to be an incredibly soft format. People draft bad cards and run normal amounts of lands, when Sultai+ Mutate with ~10 sources including rocks runs over that super easily. Plus, Adaptive Shimmerers and Dart Traps don't get bot drafted at all, and are absurd in the format.

The crystals are effectively 3-color moxen with cycling

Yes that is as absurdly powerful as it sounds

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    "Man, I hope zendikar does something to disrupt or weaken all of these Uro decks."

WOTC: "HEY EVERYBODY REMEMBER LANDFALL?"

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    "Man, I hope zendikar does something to disrupt or weaken all of these Uro decks."

A ban is in the stars for Uro, it follows the same pattern of every other broken card that wizards has printed in 2020 where it starts by being very strong, getting more support in later sets and dominating standard (Sulti Ramp right now in standard), getting ported over to pioneer and modern and eventually getting banned in standard and possibly in older formats as well. See Oko/Fires/Companions/Wilderness Rec and now Uro.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    The 2021 queue is so Uro-centric that it really is hard to imagine Uro doesn't get the boot ASAP.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

Theres a 2 mana blue enchantment that bounces every land they play after the first each turn

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

Totally. I wish I started drafting it earlier, I figured it was going to be a dumb gimmick format. It is a dumb gimmick format, but was a fast and easy way to grind gems.

Also, Archipelagore mutated onto Adaptive Shimmerman on T1 and swing for 10 never got old