As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magic The Gathering Arena] Kamigawa; where Keanu plays some sort of Cyborg Rat Ninja

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I will share with you the best drafting strategy I've found so far:

step 1: p1p1 inferno dragon
    step 2: p2p1 doubling vampire

That's it, just two easy steps. It might take some practice but with hard work and determination you too can get to six wins before getting mana flooded.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    I will share with you the best drafting strategy I've found so far:

step 1: p1p1 inferno dragon
    step 2: p2p1 doubling vampire

That's it, just two easy steps. It might take some practice but with hard work and determination you too can get to six wins before getting mana flooded.

I was passed Inferno today, in pack 2. After I was already in red.

I drew it all three games R1 and won. Then I flooded out and never saw it again.

I sure would appreciate if my Bo3 draft decks would stop with the screw/flood. I know these are good builds (well... ok, maybe not the blue/black one; that was a bit of a trainwreck and deserved what it got) but my lands don't want to cooperate. :\

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Now, with the new set and all, the people have questions. Burning questions. Important questions! Surf, I hear you yell- scream, wail- is Mardu Sacrifice still good after the rotation?

After a 4-0* night on the 2022 ladder, I can conclusively say Yes! And it might be even more fun?

clrm2ikz0b8a.jpg

Now, you might be thinking wait, where are the Goldspan Dragons and that is a fair question. But I refuse to craft them on principle and also Retriever Phoenix is a delight. You ever feed an Eyetwitch to an Immersturm Predator to bring back multiple Phoenixes? Neither have I but just imagine!

* still in silver tbf, but c'mon it's my first night back

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    That.
    Phoenix is a replacement effect, you should only get one back I think?

• Options
    discrider wrote: »
    That.
    Whoops, you are correct.

But imagine if it wasn't!

• Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »
    That.
    Whoops, you are correct.

But imagine if it wasn't!

What's really fun is when someone tries to kill it with the learn trigger on the stack. You can just immediately bring it back.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Arena seems to be having server issues... or it's now also roping me. Edit: SOB! It WAS roping me it seems!

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    My kingdom for a 'shuffler's fine' emote.

• Options
    Dang, crashed into gold after something like a 12-2 run and I'm immediately reminded that Goldspan Dragon is just... too good.

Sedgemoor Witch etc. are fun but I'm probably gonna have to just craft some dragons.

• Options
    Brainstorm suspended in Historic.

More a format-diversity move than a power-level one at this point.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Got the last bit of gold I needed for another draft, promptly timed out of my first two picks. At least one of them was a Grim Bounty, but who knows what got passed up for it. The other one was a Planar Ally, which, blech.

But then my first two picks of pack two were Skeletal Swarming followed by Skeletal Swarming, so....

7gx24t0y9v2y.jpg

Time for yet another draft where I have two Skeletal Swarmings?

Other stuff in my pool in case folks have suggestions while I'm at work:

wui2qmx7o9dc.jpg

I am extremely loth to run 17 lands but that's a lotta fives. I'm currently meh on the Compelled Duel and Hand of Vecna, thinking maybe I want the Feign Deaths to help me keep chumpers around until I hit five mana.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Diversity is a poor reason to do anything, otherwise they'd be banning/suspending stuff constantly. Everyone finds the flavor of the month and uses it.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    they suspended brainstorm because... people like to play it too much?
    what an interesting decision.

i also suspect that people play a lot of the same historic deck to avoid paying money for more cards.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Brainstorm's interesting because it's just greasing the wheels. It's not direct power by any means. But it's still an extremely strong card.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Diversity is a poor reason to do anything, otherwise they'd be banning/suspending stuff constantly. Everyone finds the flavor of the month and uses it.

It's just a test. Do those decks still exist at similar numbers without it? Then it's probably fine. If not, that's an indication that it might be too strong. That's why it's just a suspension.

He said, as someone with absolutely no interest in Historic.

• Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Brainstorm in your opening hand means you get to keep super risky hands and be fine (think Once Upon a Time). It's also a slow to play card, as people have to put cards back into the deck. It's really too much for most people's brains to handle. I would have rather seen Serum Visions put in.

Really it's just a continuing problem of blue's shtick being 'good at card games' being fine, but red can't have Bolt, white Plowshares, etc. I'm fine with the suspension.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    It’s one of the most powerful cards outside the power nine

Even in legacy every blue deck uses it

• Options
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

In an online CCG with no scarcity and no secondary market, diversity is the only reason to do anything.

Everybody playing flavor of the month isn't going to drive up the cost of the flavor of the month when the cards are virtual. The cost of entry is static. We're never going to exhaust the supply of Arena Brainstorms.

The only problem then with OP cards and OP decks is that it gets boring encountering them over and over again.

I love that they're suspending cards and I want them to suspend things more often, just to shake up the meta. They should do it more, and not just as a prelude to a permanent banning.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Then I never want to see any 1 or 2 mana lifegain card ever on Arena!

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Brainstorm: one of my favorite cards of all time. I currently main Historic Grixis Control that runs Brainstorm. Using my Dreadhorde Arcanist to recast Brainstorm and then either shuffle the chaff away with Fabled Passage or scry it away with Opt is one of the biggest card advantage engines in my deck. The Brainstorm suspension and inevitable ban hurts me quite a bit.

I also adore Brainstorming in response to an opponent's Thoughtseize. Oops, all lands! Where did my good cards go?🤔

But the ban has to happen. I was shocked when I saw that Mystical Archive Brainstorm wasn't going on the banned list alongside Dark Ritual and Lightning Bolt. Brainstorm is one of the most powerful draw spells ever printed. There's a reason it's not available in Modern, Pioneer, or any Standard format in nearly 20 years. Any control or combo player wants 3-4 of them in their deck, no matter their game plan.

The only thing I want out of this is to replace it with a more reasonable 1mana blue draw spell. Ponder, Preordain, Serum Visions, and Sleight of Hand are options. I think the smart bet is that we'll see Serum Visions or Preordain in a future Historic Anthology. Opt is playable but it's not quite enough on its own.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited July 2021

Who gives a shit about lifegain? Nobody.

Suspend the lifegain payoff cards like Heliod or Ajani's Pridemate. Then we're talking. :)

And yes, they should! Give Heliod a little vacation for a while, see what shakes down.

Feral on

• Options
    Lifegain was including the entire lifegain-adjacent cards.

• Options
    After some terrible run of Zendikar, played this:
    2unxblajr28l.png
    Went 7-2.

... One game the client gave to me for free?
    Froze at Ready!
    Reloaded, and the game had awarded a win and was at 5-2.

• Options
    But seriously.
    That guy who stole my 9/10 cat with lulumage so I had to double block it with a kicked craterhoof to kill it.
    Why?!

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Wrong thread

discrider on
  • Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    I've been seeing if this Lorehold deck has any legs in the 2022 queue.
    Deck
    3 Rip Apart (STX) 225
    4 Lorehold Excavation (STX) 200
    3 Adult Gold Dragon (AFR) 216
    2 Showdown of the Skalds (KHM) 229
    2 Reconstruct History (STX) 222
    4 Radiant Scrollwielder (STX) 221
    2 Lorehold Command (STX) 199
    3 Doomskar (KHM) 9
    2 Strict Proctor (STX) 33
    3 Portable Hole (AFR) 33
    2 Quintorius, Field Historian (STX) 220
    1 Igneous Inspiration (STX) 107
    1 Paladin Class (AFR) 29
    1 Flumph (AFR) 15
    2 You Hear Something on Watch (AFR) 42
    1 Lorehold Campus (STX) 268
    1 Cave of the Frost Dragon (AFR) 253
    3 Needleverge Pathway (ZNR) 263
    4 Furycalm Snarl (STX) 266
    7 Mountain (AFR) 277
    7 Plains (AFR) 265
    2 Alpine Meadow (KHM) 248

Sideboard
    1 Spirit Summoning (STX) 236
    2 Environmental Sciences (STX) 1
    1 Reduce to Memory (STX) 25
    2 Mascot Exhibition (STX) 5
    1 Illuminate History (STX) 108
    Any deck on the queue with Goldspan Dragons seems to be the best of the best right now and out of being bored to see that card over and over again I haven't included it here. Any suggestions other than making this another Goldspan deck? OR just make it into a R/W dragons deck I guess?

There's a lot of 1-ofs or 2-ofs in the deck because I don't have a full set of many of the cards. I'd say Quintorius has to go right out! Expelled! :razz:

• Options
    Yeah, Goldspan was looking like it's gonna be a real tyrant post-rotation and in my very limited 2022 experience that seems to have been accurate.

Particularly when paired with Kalain; stuff gets unreasonably large very quickly with those two out.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

Suspend the lifegain payoff cards like Heliod or Ajani's Pridemate. Then we're talking. :)

And yes, they should! Give Heliod a little vacation for a while, see what shakes down.

why do you want to kill my favorite archetype?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Just went 7-0 in draft with a deck i really wish i'd screenshotted

pack 1 pick 1 was superbomb lolth and then i settled on red to do the lifting to get me more tokens and by pack 3 red was so fucking open I managed to grab 3 battle cry goblins. Just in pack 3.

So i was shitting out goblin tokens every turn, aggressively trading creatures, just putting a lot of pressure on the opponent and then shitting out spider tokens after trading the other creatures off. Absolutely beautiful.

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Elldren wrote: »

Because it's like 90% of everyone's. Diversity!

• Options
    Elldren wrote: »

Because it's like 90% of everyone's. Diversity!

Well I liked it before it was cool

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Also yuan-ti fang-blades are p underrated and it's a damn good card to have in a deck where you want to be attacking and aggressively trading off creatures

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Skeleton Swarming seems to be the new terrible deck

• Options
    The Ghast and Deadly Dispute combo is meta defining

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I've stolen games I had no right winning with Vorpal Sword of all things in a Skeleton Swarming deck (Legend's version). Feels like if you're going to run Swarming, Vorpal helps it.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Wild Mage infinite die rolls doesn't work on mobile.
    Just lost two games to supposed misclicks.

Good to know before I started tooling around with it outside FnM

discrider on
  • Options
    Been sitting on these for a while since I wanted to give anyone with access to a FLGS event (and the willingness to go) a chance to get one, but here are my surplus AFR Prerelease codes:

Loading...?

As always if there's a problem PM me and I'll see if I can figure out the typo.

• Options
    The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular
    Never in my life have I participated in a Constructed format, by I'm just crushing Standard 2022 right now with an Izzet Dragons deck at 76% (25-8). Only Mono Red and an occasional mirror are giving me real problems. Quite fun!

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Izzet Dragons is a ton of fun. Leads to some really big-brained plays.