As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] Pandemic in a Pandemic

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    TimFiji wrote: »
    Where you all buying your Crokinole?

There was a kickstarter by Mayday a few months ago. We got in the first wave.

They were offering entry level boards for $100+s&h. It was cheap enough for me to take the chance on the game.

It’s not an heirloom board by any means, but its good enough to let me know if I would want to get a high quality one for $300+.

Im also lucky that there is a guy two hours away that makes real nice ones.

Ohhh. I am friends with a Joiner, wonder if he'd make me one if I get him specs. Thanks!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
      Played a round with my wife. It was very fun! We just went to 50, and she beat me by like 10 points. I had one real bad round. It is real interesting how the game self corrects for someone who has a big lead in a round. They get too many discs on the board and it makes it much harder to hit the opponents discs, and much easier to accidentally hit multiples of yours and lose them all.

Steam ID: Webguy20
      Origin ID: Discgolfer27
      Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    • CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
      I've now got a set of screws with rubber bumpers on the way. Need more of that sweet ricochet action.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
    • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Where you all buying your Crokinole?

I get mine in an alley behind the strip joint from Guido.

oh wait crokinole

webguy20 wrote: »
      Played a round with my wife.
      I've now got a set of screws with rubber bumpers on the way. Need more of that sweet ricochet action.

all right what are we really talking about here

SO I finally started Digital Gloomhaven and I have to say if you take out all the setup and incredibly slow play speed with all those dang cards it's actually pretty fine! I think I played 5 hours alone last night.

And of course, as soon as I got out of the tutorial I got my ass handed to me but them's the breaks i guess

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
      edited August 2020
      Oh yeah, on matters that aren't Crokinole, partner and I played Exit: Theft on the Mississippi on the weekend. I forget what Mr.Body's thoughts were, but we were so-so on it. Had some real high highs, and real low lows, and I was very fast and loose with taking the level 1 hints because it seemed maybe the most cryptic of any of the boxes I've played. But she really liked the murder-mystery format, so that was a plus~
      Overall I still like the format and will probably continue to pick up the odd one, but it does feel like they're reaching a point where it's like, "Yeah, but just how obtuse can we make things and still get away with it?"

[Edit]
      Dug up Body's post. Definitely have some thoughts here:
      There was one puzzle that bordered on dumb, in that it seemed like the physical components didn't quite mesh the way they were meant to.
      I honestly think this could be two different puzzles, but I'm assuming you mean the bow ties, yes? I got Nine fine looking at the red one, but the other two we couldn't make into the proper words even after looking at the solution. Was not amazing. I felt that the folding cards for the magic-themed one were also problematic. While the solution wasn't as bad, I felt there was too much information noise in trying to suss out how you were supposed to look at them.
      Another significant problem was colors. None of us had any color blindness, but holy CRAP did we run into a bunch of trouble trying to tell the colors apart in this one. Brownish orange and orangish brown. Grey and white? Wait, is this grey or black? Blue or purple? One of them was so bad, I honestly think there was a misprint between the clue and the puzzle. We've never run into a color problem with the series before but wow. Huge disclaimer to anyone with the slightest bit of color blindness.
      100% true. The colours in this were not good and we absolutely missed some coloured text.

ArcticLancer on
    • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
      Exit has been real hit or miss for me so far. The first two we played were the pharaoh's tomb and the cabin in the woods, and those were great and fun. The next two were the orient express and the forbidden island, and both had serious problems that left us all really frustrated and wasted our time. There's a puzzle in Orient Express that has physical components, and while we knew exactly what we were supposed to do, putting the pieces together was so fiddly we couldn't get a straight answer. Forbidden Island has a puzzle with a totally unintended solution that we stumbled across, and solving it "incorrectly" in that way really misled us hard for what we were supposed to be doing later on in the game.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
      Oh my god I cannot find pure carnauba wax! I went to 3 big box stores, 2 home improvement stores, and 3 automotive parts stores. NADA! All of them had cleaner wax or things with additives. And hunting online, it'd be weeks before I got any.

It's almost as if there's a run on the stuff right now. I WONDER WHY.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
      edited August 2020
      Exit has been real hit or miss for me so far. The first two we played were the pharaoh's tomb and the cabin in the woods, and those were great and fun. The next two were the orient express and the forbidden island, and both had serious problems that left us all really frustrated and wasted our time. There's a puzzle in Orient Express that has physical components, and while we knew exactly what we were supposed to do, putting the pieces together was so fiddly we couldn't get a straight answer. Forbidden Island has a puzzle with a totally unintended solution that we stumbled across, and solving it "incorrectly" in that way really misled us hard for what we were supposed to be doing later on in the game.

Huh. I thought Orient Express was their best one up there with Cabin. Can't recall any fiddliness.

The worst I found were Pharaoh's Tomb (I will never forgive them for "that" puzzle), Castle, and Island. Then on a whole 'nother bottom tier of bad is Catacombs of Horror. We hated that one. Super time consuming yet somehow didn't feel like more "game". One puzzle that put the Pharaoh's to shame, and one puzzle with physical components that had 3 different moving parts of obtuseness to it, and you couldn't tell which obtuse part you were getting wrong when you couldn't find a solution. It remains the only Exit game that felt like a waste of time we wished we never bothered with, and at almost double the normal price!

MrBody on
    • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
      edited August 2020
      Athenor wrote: »
      Oh my god I cannot find pure carnauba wax! I went to 3 big box stores, 2 home improvement stores, and 3 automotive parts stores. NADA! All of them had cleaner wax or things with additives. And hunting online, it'd be weeks before I got any.

Yea part of it is car care is also moving away from multi-stage waxing to single step products. Im surprised the parts stores didn’t have any McGuires stage 3 though. They would be the place.

The Mayday guys also recommend a specific type of turtle-wax that isn't a pure carnauba.

webguy20 on
    • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
      The intractable problem with designing escape room games is that players are all different. If a puzzle is too straightforward you don't have an a-ha moment, and if it is too obscure it feels unfair. And I use those words carefully, because it's a different axis altogether than whether the puzzle is easy or hard. There's a very small sweet spot to hit.

The best solution is good feedback for you being on the right track, as well as a robust and granular hint system. This stuff is really tricky to get right.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
      Another significant problem was colors. None of us had any color blindness, but holy CRAP did we run into a bunch of trouble trying to tell the colors apart in this one. Brownish orange and orangish brown. Grey and white? Wait, is this grey or black? Blue or purple? One of them was so bad, I honestly think there was a misprint between the clue and the puzzle. We've never run into a color problem with the series before but wow. Huge disclaimer to anyone with the slightest bit of color blindness.
      100% true. The colours in this were not good and we absolutely missed some coloured text.

Was it the one where
      There were two words written in red, so you focus on those. Then you read the solution and it tells you that actually, two words are blue, two words are grey(?), then two words are red. We squinted and could just barely see some grey in two words, so faint that we never would have spotted it if we weren't told it was supposed to be grey. But then for the life of us could not see any hint of blue in the words the solution said were blue. I swear it's a flat out misprint that it's black.

edited August 2020
      MrBody wrote: »

Huh. I thought Orient Express was their best one up there with Cabin. Can't recall any fiddliness.

The worst I found were Pharaoh's Tomb (I will never forgive them for "that" puzzle), Castle, and Island. Then on a whole 'nother bottom tier of bad is Catacombs of Horror. We hated that one. Super time consuming yet somehow didn't feel like more "game". One puzzle that put the Pharaoh's to shame, and one puzzle with physical components that had 3 different moving parts of obtuseness to it, and you couldn't tell which obtuse part you were getting wrong when you couldn't find a solution. It remains the only Exit game that felt like a waste of time we wished we never bothered with, and at almost double the normal price!

Puzzle spoilers for Orient Express and Pharaoh's Tomb
      For the puzzle with the diamond and the table, the diamond fit wholly through the larger hole, and the image didn't give a very precise point for where to stand the table itself. We ended up going through all three clues only to discover that we were doing it exactly as intended, but reliably came up with the wrong number code.

Conversely, if "that puzzle" in Pharaoh's Tomb is the one I'm thinking of, using the box insert as a map, we had trouble figuring it out, but everyone at the table thought it was brilliant once it clicked.

Different strokes!

BloodySloth on
      edited August 2020

Was it the one where
      There were two words written in red, so you focus on those. Then you read the solution and it tells you that actually, two words are blue, two words are grey(?), then two words are red. We squinted and could just barely see some grey in two words, so faint that we never would have spotted it if we weren't told it was supposed to be grey. But then for the life of us could not see any hint of blue in the words the solution said were blue. I swear it's a flat out misprint that it's black.
      I believe you're thinking of the same one, yes. There's part of a word written in blue, part in red, and part underlined. The red and underline stood out fine, but the blue was a joke.

Also, I'm curious if you guys ...
      got the bonus ending? We didn't, because we were too at the end of our combined rope that the moment we saw the card it was like "Oh cool so it was the mustache-twirling bad guy." but I happened to look through the components and found the additional card and thought it was at least cute. But like ... the ending doesn't prompt you to go looking for that. The cabin had a cliffhanger ending that setup for another box, so why should we think we should keep looking?

ArcticLancer on
      Played two games today with my wife. I think I have her on board. She asked to play the 2nd game. It probably didn't hurt that she absolutely trounced me the first game. The second game was at least competitive. We both got up to 90 before I absolutely fell apart the last round and she smoked me.

This is from the first round of the 2nd game. The most discs we've had on the board at the end so far.

ot0ur1c9dqqy.jpg

Was it the one where
      I believe you're thinking of the same one, yes. There's part of a word written in blue, part in red, and part underlined. The red and underline stood out fine, but the blue was a joke.

got the bonus ending? We didn't, because we were too at the end of our combined rope that the moment we saw the card it was like "Oh cool so it was the mustache-twirling bad guy." but I happened to look through the components and found the additional card and thought it was at least cute. But like ... the ending doesn't prompt you to go looking for that. The cabin had a cliffhanger ending that setup for another box, so why should we think we should keep looking?

bonus???

edited August 2020

For the puzzle with the diamond and the table, the diamond fit wholly through the larger hole, and the image didn't give a very precise point for where to stand the table itself. We ended up going through all three clues only to discover that we were doing it exactly as intended, but reliably came up with the wrong number code.

Conversely, if "that puzzle" in Pharaoh's Tomb is the one I'm thinking of, using the box insert as a map, we had trouble figuring it out, but everyone at the table thought it was brilliant once it clicked.

Different strokes!
      The puzzle where you were supposed to figure out that a bronze colored lump on the floor of an ancient Egyptian tomb was actually a melted chocolate ice cream cone which would prompt you to use the letter i-c-e to get through an otherwise impenetrable puzzle.

Worst puzzle in Catacombs of Horrors that might even top that.
      Did anyone see the hidden number in "Asmodeus"? Even knowing what to look for, we couldn't make out the whole number.

And that whole mess of a final puzzle where you're supposed to light a candle, then position colored skulls, then read shadows, but you have no idea which one you're screwing up when you can't get an answer.

MrBody on

Different strokes!
      The puzzle where you were supposed to figure out that a bronze colored lump on the floor of an ancient Egyptian tomb was actually a melted chocolate ice cream cone which would prompt you to use the letter i-c-e to get through an otherwise impenetrable puzzle.

Did anyone see the hidden number in "Asmodeus"? Even knowing what to look for, we couldn't make out the whole number.

And that whole mess of a final puzzle where you're supposed to light a candle, then position colored skulls, then read shadows, but you have no idea which one you're screwing up when you can't get an answer.

Pharaoh's Tomb
      Maybe it was just a lucky catch, but my group noticed the ice cream cone immediately. I think I was looking for something to do with ice cream because of it being conspicuously mentioned in the beginning of the book.

Was it the one where

bonus???
      Yeah, guy has the documents on him - there's another answer card hidden in his image on the "you got him!" card, and if you look at that card you find the stolen documents and get an extra 2 stars on your evaluation. Again, cute, but I think it's just too much of a "brutal luck" thing. Like, what, we shouldn't assume that SOMEBODY would have searched him after he is arrested? :S

• CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
      Athenor wrote: »

Ace Hardware had a few cans of the SC Johnson paste wax that I used.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
    • Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
      Re: carnauba wax, I don't have any experience with it on crokinole boards, but I recently did up a bass guitar neck with kiwi shoe polish, which has carnauba wax in it. This is the recommended treatment from the builder and can confirm it's silky smooth and polishes up nicely. So maybe look for some of that, it might be easier to find

2LmjIWB.png
    • LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
      Finished off Pandemic Legacy Season 2. Final verdict is the incredibly novel "pretty decent, nowhere near as good as the first."
      Felt very on rails, like it didn't really matter if we did the recons or not, because the game would pull a card that just opened up the areas anyway. Bit of a bummer. And it didn't produce nearly as many interesting stories as the first season. But we had some fun runs in there, including getting the carrier to the destination lab at the last possible moment, with one incident before total failure and an almost guaranteed epidemic coming up.

QPPHj1J.jpg
    • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
      Finished off Pandemic Legacy Season 2. Final verdict is the incredibly novel "pretty decent, nowhere near as good as the first."
      Felt very on rails, like it didn't really matter if we did the recons or not, because the game would pull a card that just opened up the areas anyway. Bit of a bummer. And it didn't produce nearly as many interesting stories as the first season. But we had some fun runs in there, including getting the carrier to the destination lab at the last possible moment, with one incident before total failure and an almost guaranteed epidemic coming up.

I can agree with this, and think that ending was an awesome way to finish it.
      I wonder if the game would have benefitted from not being on a time schedule.

Instead of forcing a recon, allow them to happen naturally. Instead of a single failure consequence, ramp it up depending on how long it takes to recon the area.
      We failed to recon Europe due to some pretty bad epidemic timing during that month (failed both halves), and Frankfurt being completely removed from the game was an incredible and painful consequence. Looking at the cards later, we saw that most of the other areas were card removal or not getting a funded event, which is a much lighter consequence. It would have been neat to see maybe lose the funded event after the first month. More rats on cities the next month, and maybe then do the Frankfurt style removing the city as a very late recon penalty.
      This would allow for more individual stories to be built based on different groups and recon priorities. We almost didn't even recon Australia because we didn't really need to. We only ended up doing it because one player had the actions and nothing else meaningful to do in Nov/Dec.

I think players needed another task or method to help the runner. Outside of funneling cards, there was nothing to do other than hope you got the cards they needed to finish the run and keep cubes in the cities they'd go through.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
      Man ... we played Pax Transhumanity last night. Succinctly, the game is good and interesting, but boy is it all-but-guaranteed to be a bad first experience. So many parts you have to see in action before you can even being to play the game with a means of progression. All the ways it can end are bad for somebody, and because none of us had done a great job getting points, none of us really wanted to end it. However none of us knew we weren't going to want to end it, so there was a bit too much "blow shit up for the end-game" before we actually hit the end-game point of the game. Just made things slog for like a solid 2 hours as we jockeyed around the shrinking pool of options, trying to make something out of nothing before someone pulled the trigger. It has some excellent ideas and all of us are interested in playing it again, but I also don't think it's the kind of game we would break out with any regularity, and it's probably doomed to be in a weird spot for us because of that. Even if we were the kind of group that was willing to keep playing one game and really grind at it, I would probably pick half a dozen other games before I picked this one. I would absolutely not recommend it to just anybody, but for the right people I can fully understand them being 100% engrossed with this game.

Different strokes!

Pharaoh's Tomb
      Maybe it was just a lucky catch, but my group noticed the ice cream cone immediately. I think I was looking for something to do with ice cream because of it being conspicuously mentioned in the beginning of the book.

We wouldn't have recognized it as that even if they had bolded that mention.

Woohoo! The wife asked to play Crokinole tonight. I think it's the first time she's ever asked unprompted for me to pull the game out. She was ahead most of the game but I had a sweeper of a last round to win it.

I'll tell you what though, if the board doesn't have a good build up in the center, it gets real hard to make shots.

DAY NIGHT Z JUST FINALLY SHOWED AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

IT'S HEAVY AS BALLS Y'ALL

Damn this thing has an 80 page instruction book.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
      Looks like the final nail in the coffin was dropped today for the gaming table KS I backed. $850 down the drain. Jesus, this is not going to be an easy conversation with the wife.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
      Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
      Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
      Steam ID
      Twitch Page
    • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
      MNC Dover wrote: »
      Looks like the final nail in the coffin was dropped today for the gaming table KS I backed. $850 down the drain. Jesus, this is not going to be an easy conversation with the wife.

Is it the Wyrmwood one? I had been gearing up to go in on it pretty hard but talked myself out of it.

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular

I would think about how you would react if your wife came home and told you she spent $850 now dollars on something you don't view as a need AND won't be available until next early next year.

I don't know what size you ended up with, but $850 isn't actually that expensive for a nice table. If you look around at reputable furniture places, you're easily over $800-1200 bucks for a dinner table that seats six or more, so these tables are in the ballpark assuming you're also comfortable making it the main table in your house. So those larger tables are actually pretty well priced for how big they are. If you went anything smaller than the six person table, I'd consider making the investment to go a little bigger and make it your new kitchen table as well.

The kitchen table my wife and I have we got over 12 years ago, and paid about $1000 for it. So if you're doing this, and plan to use it as your primary table, it could be the last "kitchen" table you ever buy.

However a nice table can also be a bit of a luxury, so just make sure you really can afford that sort of spending right now and that your wife is really comfortable with it.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
      Sadly this is a kickstarter gone wrong tragedy. It’s not all that money on a gaming table, it’s all that money on nothing because the whole thing has folded.

My sympathies Dover, my biggest Kickstarter burn was €111 on some tabletop terrain I’m never going to see. Certainly made me much more wary of backing projects where the product doesn’t pretty much already exist.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
      Oh, was this the "warmwood" second breakfast table where the guy disappeared in China?
      Yeah, that is an unfortunate result. The wyrmwood guys discussed (and are?) offering a free wood option upgrade to the next tier if you backed that KS.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
      Oh wow. @MNC Dover that really sucks. Sorry I misunderstood, and really sorry that you blew $850 bucks on a busted KS. :bigfrown:

Kick(in the balls)starter

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
      ironzerg wrote: »
      Oh wow. @MNC Dover that really sucks. Sorry I misunderstood, and really sorry that you blew $850 bucks on a busted KS. :bigfrown:

Same, misunderstood. I don't even know what I'd do, and definitely would be in huge trouble with the boss

edited August 2020
      Firstly, also sorry, Dover. That's the rawest kind of deal. :(

Secondly, got Nidavellir to the table last night. It has been a while since I played such a good, tight package of a game. It's overall very quick (I'd say it plays as fast as Sushi Go, minus a bit of extra setup), and the auction mechanism is great, and the coin-swapping is also great. I didn't realize how much that last part would factor into the second part before we started playing - while you all start with the same coins, you will quickly have different sets, and it gives everyone at the table substantially different buying power in auctions. When you consider your coins are also worth points at the end of the game, there's even a sneaky bit of "the less you pay across the game, the more points you'll accrue with coin upgrades." Even if that doesn't total a whole lot of points, it's meaningful and subtle. Because you're all building very simple tableaus, it is easy to assess what other people have and might want. And any of the few cards with actually complex abilities will just do something for the owning player which isn't going to mess with overall evaluations of the game state much.
      Like, I just cannot stress how smooth the game goes down. It's crazy it hasn't gotten a proper North American distribution, and I'm sure whenever that happens it'll sell like hotcakes. In the meantime, if you happen to be able to snag an import copy, it's probably worth the slightly higher price point.

ArcticLancer on
      edited August 2020

sorry man that's super shitty. my biggest burn has been 300$ on Super Dungeon Legends.

Magic Pink on
    • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
      Well, we were both onboard with getting the table, so it's not like she'll be surprised that I bought it. None of this was my fault, except trusting that they'd deliver. I've experienced long delays (Grow took 3 extra years), but they've eventually delivered. Well...nothing to be done about it.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
      Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
      Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
      Steam ID
      Twitch Page