As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] Pandemic in a Pandemic

• DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    This means Asmodee still has a Blizzard license somewhere...

... which means one thing:

Reprint the Starcraft: The Board Game set, you cowards!

Isn't there a reskin of Forbidden Stars on the way? Or did I make that up. I may have.

There is, yeah. Still a while off though, probably:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2139220/forbidden-stars-redux
    https://discord.com/invite/dW6RfjYtFA

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    FFG just announced The Hood scenario pack for Marvel Champions, that includes 9 modular sets and also Standard 2 and Expert 2 scenario sets that you can swap in to any scenario in place of the original Standard/Expert cards. I'm pretty excited about that last bit.

Oh. I missed that last bit when I read it. That's great!

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh hey, the Team Covenant podcast with Andrew Navaro re: Earthborne Rangers is up.

Notes I picked up from it:
    -No game component stretch goals for the KS, because they want to keep it simple.
    -There are three products in the KS: The Core Set (which supports 1-4 players in a narrative campaign), the Ranger Card Doubler (which is a extra copy of just the player cards in a box, so you don't have to buy multiple cores if you want more cards, eliminating waste), and the first new campaign expansion.
    -Using EU, UK, and US printers, through manufacturers that are certified to be as close to carbon-neutral in production and supply as possible. Regional printers are basically the only real "stretch" goal, where the more people backing it, they can hit the critical mass needed to print locally for markets.

It's a interesting listen.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    We finished Pandemic Legacy S1 tonight!
    After failing our first try of December due to overconfidence, we succeeded beautifully on our second attempt: having vaccinated all of CoDA country last time, we only had to keep the world from going to hell and do the search for the hidden cache. I started with two Binoculars cards and I was the Soldier, so it was no problem at all to finish the search... and we could even take our time (keeping in mind that the fifth and last epidemic would put the cache out of reach), so... we eradicated all three remaining diseases, we blew up the one remaining military base, and we both (my medic wife and soldier me) were in Atlanta as I finished my search. Turns out that if we'd finished in early December without destroying all the military bases, our score would've been lower!

We'll play a regular game of Pandemic on our Legacy board tomorrow, to finish it off, and then we will probably take a bit of a break before the next substantial board game commitment. But we've got a bunch to choose from: Pandemic Legacy Season 2 (we've also got Season 0, but we'll do them in sequence), Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective or Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion. Looking forward to more Adventures in Board Games Land!

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Thirith wrote: »
    We finished Pandemic Legacy S1 tonight!
    After failing our first try of December due to overconfidence, we succeeded beautifully on our second attempt: having vaccinated all of CoDA country last time, we only had to keep the world from going to hell and do the search for the hidden cache. I started with two Binoculars cards and I was the Soldier, so it was no problem at all to finish the search... and we could even take our time (keeping in mind that the fifth and last epidemic would put the cache out of reach), so... we eradicated all three remaining diseases, we blew up the one remaining military base, and we both (my medic wife and soldier me) were in Atlanta as I finished my search. Turns out that if we'd finished in early December without destroying all the military bases, our score would've been lower!

We'll play a regular game of Pandemic on our Legacy board tomorrow, to finish it off, and then we will probably take a bit of a break before the next substantial board game commitment. But we've got a bunch to choose from: Pandemic Legacy Season 2 (we've also got Season 0, but we'll do them in sequence), Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective or Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion. Looking forward to more Adventures in Board Games Land!

Nice!
    I swear the game is set up this way, so that you use early December to clean up and prep and late December to actually win. That's what happened to us. Of course... we made a super-soldier that ended up being our spy/turncoat, so we lost a lot of really strong powers. But late December was still a cakewalk for us.

It's such a fun game, though I wish there were more of an epilogue/story. Like have the card link to a URL or something rather than the small score sheet.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    FFG just announced The Hood scenario pack for Marvel Champions, that includes 9 modular sets and also Standard 2 and Expert 2 scenario sets that you can swap in to any scenario in place of the original Standard/Expert cards. I'm pretty excited about that last bit.

I wonder if they'll replace Shadow of the Past one-to-one, or what. Might be interesting if they split that into two separate cards; Shadow of the Past really bends a game if you get it early, whereas is it shows up as a boost card, it's no big deal.

Fry on
  • Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    We had our first post-Corona lockdown boardgame day last Saturday. I bought Dune Imperium to play, but we had 5 players, so that one is shelved for now. (Also bought the Secret Roles expansion for Magic Maze)

Instead we played Keyflower, Between Two Castles en Codenames: Pictures.

Keyflower: The rulebook is terrible, but the person who brought the game was aware of this and had quick rule sheets from the internet printed out. The owner of the game had played before, so won by quite a margin, but the rest of us didn't score too bad. Early on we were all thinking that we would need a lot of different resources, but in the end 3 of the players pretty much had a monopoly on one of the main resources and you hardly ever need them. Overall, didn't hate it, didn't love it.

Between Two Castles: We've played this a lot, so everybody (except one) was familiar with this. Quick game before dinner, I was really proud of myself for having both castles at the exact same score. Quite close score in the end, only 6 points difference between the highest scoring and lowest scoring castle. And the first-time player won. Always one of my favourite games to play.

Codenames: Pictures: Quick game at the end as cooldown for the day. I've only played it before with words instead of pictures and some of the pictures are weird. Game with little depth, but good way to start or finish a board game day.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Keyflower opens up once you start noticing what the other players want and you capitalize opportunities that move your agenda forward and at the same time trip the others up.

Even the simple action of placing a green dude on another player's village can be debilitating, if done at the right time.

Since I'm doing my usual thing of going overboard in terms of getting new coop games that I might play with my wife: would Arkham Horror - The Card Game be a recommendation? Neither of us is particularly experienced when it comes to board games or card games, but we've found that we dig coop, and the whole evolving story and characters thing is something we enjoyed tremendously about Pandemic Legacy.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    AHLCG is real cool with a lot of real big caveats. 1) it requires a huge buy in to be fun, 2) it requires deck building (and getting invested in the deck building) to be fun, 3) it is savagely difficult and also random.

Edit: I actually just read this good article about this earlier this morning
    https://therewillbe.games/articles-boardgame-reviews/8708-arkham-horror-living-card-game-the-greatest-deck-construction-introduction-of-all-time-if-you-can-get-there

Ah_Pook on
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    AHLCG is real cool with a lot of real big caveats. 1) it requires a huge buy in to be fun, 2) it requires deck building (and getting invested in the deck building) to be fun, 3) it is savagely difficult and also random.

Edit: I actually just read this good article about this earlier this morning
    https://therewillbe.games/articles-boardgame-reviews/8708-arkham-horror-living-card-game-the-greatest-deck-construction-introduction-of-all-time-if-you-can-get-there

I don't think getting too into deckbuilding is really required to have fun with it. I may be misjudging because I'm fine with deckbuilding, but when my friend and I were playing ACH we just looked up base deck recommendations online for whichever characters we wanted to play. As you go through the campaign, assuming your character doesn't get devoured, you get XP you can use to replace cards in your deck and you get access to new cards via the mythos packs for each scenario, so we'd just use our available XP (or not) to upgrade cards or swap out cards we hadn't liked to play of for other ones that seem interesting. Given the XP limits and constraints on which card-types you can include for a given character it's not the sort of oceans of choice and need to be familiar with hundreds of cards problem you run into with most deckbuilding games.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    The Investigator decks make really good entry points and don't require deck building. The revised core set, when it comes out, should also do that (better than the current core). It won't surprise me if the "player" side of the new expansion format has ready-to-play investigators, too. Really not sure on that one.

There's a lot of really good netdecks out there, too.

We'd definitely be getting the revised core set, which should come out this autumn, if I'm not mistaken.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Dark WhiteDark White Registered User regular
    I understand that deckbuilding is an element of AHLCG, but it's basically a nothing element of the game for me.

I pluck high popularity, 'simple' decks off of ArkhamDB for all my campaigns that my wife and I play together. I'll note if the deck description indicates that it should be building toward XYZ card(s) with upgrades, but other than that when upgrading I'm just grabbing things that make me go 'that looks fun' or 'this seems to fit with what this investigator does'.

But, I can acknowledge just going to ArkhamDB and browsing decklists is a barrier too far for plenty of people.

jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    We had our first post-Corona lockdown boardgame day last Saturday. I bought Dune Imperium to play, but we had 5 players, so that one is shelved for now. (Also bought the Secret Roles expansion for Magic Maze)

Instead we played Keyflower, Between Two Castles en Codenames: Pictures.

Keyflower: The rulebook is terrible, but the person who brought the game was aware of this and had quick rule sheets from the internet printed out. The owner of the game had played before, so won by quite a margin, but the rest of us didn't score too bad. Early on we were all thinking that we would need a lot of different resources, but in the end 3 of the players pretty much had a monopoly on one of the main resources and you hardly ever need them. Overall, didn't hate it, didn't love it.

Between Two Castles: We've played this a lot, so everybody (except one) was familiar with this. Quick game before dinner, I was really proud of myself for having both castles at the exact same score. Quite close score in the end, only 6 points difference between the highest scoring and lowest scoring castle. And the first-time player won. Always one of my favourite games to play.

Codenames: Pictures: Quick game at the end as cooldown for the day. I've only played it before with words instead of pictures and some of the pictures are weird. Game with little depth, but good way to start or finish a board game day.

Codenames is a great “learn how your friends think” style game, along with being quick and to the point.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    My mom and I are practically one person when it comes to Codenames. It's glorious. I remember we nailed a 5 word clue one time.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    The Arkham deck building is very simple has been my experience. Like yes I have a giant box of cards but my individual investigator can only take cards from like 3 piles and upgrades from these 2.

Some of the later investigators let you use cards based on trait subtypes which break from the general organization and that's a pain to track without one of the digital card database apps that exist but when it's just oh I can take guardian, seeker, and neutral it's actually not a ton of options

initiatefailure on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    For maybe a day more Boardlandia has an entire Arkham Horror LCG cycle (deluxe expansion and 6 mythos packs) for 75 bucks which is a steal.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Oath has arrived at the house. Cards are all sleeved and ready to go.

YL9WnCY.png
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

That video basically said nothing. Come back to me when you have actual gameplay to show instead of just a few cards and some concept art.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited July 2021
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    PMAvers wrote: »

That video basically said nothing. Come back to me when you have actual gameplay to show instead of just a few cards and some concept art.

'kay. How about this Destructoid article who had a hands-on demo of it?

EDIT: Or a basic rules overview with a prototype.

https://youtu.be/OJrkErFmXgA

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    My mom and I are practically one person when it comes to Codenames. It's glorious. I remember we nailed a 5 word clue one time.

My brother in law did that years ago and I've been chasing it ever since. His final link was "holy-->bolt." I finally did it a few weeks ago on his birthday. My final link was "time-->superhero."

sig.gif
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    ArcSyn wrote: »

"The one night I remember is I believe there was a betrayal, and it was between two people who were very close friends. And I guess one of them saw it more as a game and the other one saw it as a personal betrayal of friendship and of interpersonal trust."

A) I wonder which was the betrayer 🤔

B) Yeah, this is just diplomacy, faster and with fewer barriers to it 😧

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    It's Diplomacy, but stretched out (one action point per player per day!) in such a way as to make it last for weeks instead of hours. I can see why that would increase the sense of betrayal. It's one thing when your best friend stabs you in the back and ruins your afternoon, it's another thing when they ruin a plan you've been working on for six days.

Hedgethorn wrote: »
    It's Diplomacy, but stretched out (one action point per player per day!) in such a way as to make it last for weeks instead of hours. I can see why that would increase the sense of betrayal. It's one thing when your best friend stabs you in the back and ruins your afternoon, it's another thing when they ruin a plan you've been working on for six days.

Yeah it's interesting - you make way more decisions per day playing diplomacy but way fewer betrayals per decision.

Do you think it would meaningfully change the thing above if you got one action point an hour?

sig.gif
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Played Beyond the sun over the weekend. (well. most of one game). we started playing it after another game, and we had to call it a night at about (at a guess) the halfway point.

Most of the group focused on space, i decided to focus on the tree and unless a tech gave me a bonus to ships or free jumps, i didnt touch it. I ended up winning by a decent amount. now sure that might have turned around had we played the full game, (I didnt even know what the scoring was based on until we added the totals up) but i think we enjoyed it.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular

Yeah it's interesting - you make way more decisions per day playing diplomacy but way fewer betrayals per decision.

Do you think it would meaningfully change the thing above if you got one action point an hour?

It's easier to laugh something off as "just a game" the shorter and lighter it is, because the more time and thought one invests in any enterprise, the more it becomes linked to your sense of identity. I've never heard anyone express more than mock indignation about being lied to in One Night Werewolf, because it lasts ten minutes. But I've seen people generally hurt by being lied to in Battlestar Galactica, because it involves a deception that takes place over several hours. Deception and betrayal over multiple days is doubtlessly even more harmful to one's psyche.

I think Tank Tactics would've been much less destructive of office morale if it was one action point every 10 minutes and the game resolved in a single day. Pushing it well beyond that is just asking for trouble.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Oh fuck.

My store is being allowed to sell pre-release copies of Descent: Legends of the Dark. Those are gonna come with promos too.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch

It's easier to laugh something off as "just a game" the shorter and lighter it is, because the more time and thought one invests in any enterprise, the more it becomes linked to your sense of identity. I've never heard anyone express more than mock indignation about being lied to in One Night Werewolf, because it lasts ten minutes. But I've seen people generally hurt by being lied to in Battlestar Galactica, because it involves a deception that takes place over several hours. Deception and betrayal over multiple days is doubtlessly even more harmful to one's psyche.

I think Tank Tactics would've been much less destructive of office morale if it was one action point every 10 minutes and the game resolved in a single day. Pushing it well beyond that is just asking for trouble.

sounds right, but you'd be declaring that day an office holiday.

I'm interested that everybody spent so much time with it per day given the small number of legal moves. The survivor show analogue is on point

sig.gif
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Hmm, reading about long term games of deception has me hankering for Solium Infernum again.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Athenor wrote: »
    Oh fuck.

My store is being allowed to sell pre-release copies of Descent: Legends of the Dark. Those are gonna come with promos too.

No judgements, please, as I know what I'm doing... but I decided to pick it up. I had been on the fence for a while, as I have 2 other app-driven games from FFG (Mansions of Madness and Imperial Assault)... but honestly, I didn't have any flavor of dungeon dive. I even passed on Journeys in Middle Earth.

I just spent over 2 1/2 hours punching out and assembling terrain. Worth it. :D

The minis are much higher quality than previous FFG models. But they also feel like they are a lighter/more brittle plastic? I don't know how to describe it. I also almost broke a piece of one model because it flexed when I was trying to get my thumb in to get the base out.

I was able to get all the 3D terrain into the bottom of the box, with only minimal disassembly of the dragon statue's wings. There were a couple points in the directions when the steps involved were wrong or not represented right, though in retrospect I've realized that they designed a lot of this terrain to look occupied with stuff or not at your choice.

I then put the tiles up in the top part of the box. :)

The only real negative is that the bottom box part is split on the sides, which.. well, sucks for an expensive board game, but likely would've happened anyways over time. I just need to reinforce it. Technically you can pull out the riser / tray that the terrain goes in pretty easily.

The promo items were cool but unnecessary. A set of 4 Gamegenic plastic health dials (Because damnit it wouldn't be an FFG game without a dial of some kind), a set of alt art cards for the hero weapons, and an assembled version of the biggest mini with a wash over it, to make it really pop. Which is weird... considering it is pre-glued.

I honestly can't wait to play. The learn to play manual is surprisingly thick, though a lot of that is spent describing the terrain interactions and how movement/line of sight works.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2021
    “What if we made Diplomacy more detrimental to interpersonal relationships???” -definitely not a misanthrope

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png

sounds right, but you'd be declaring that day an office holiday.

I'm interested that everybody spent so much time with it per day given the small number of legal moves. The survivor show analogue is on point
    I think that in this case it was also much worse because it existed in the physical world, in their offices, and people got drawn in whether they wanted to play or not: others were bribed to do surveillance of the glass-walled game room and inform, that sort of thing. If it was all online, in a virtual space, and possibly even anonymous, you might still get really worked up, but your frustration, anger and sense of betrayal would be *there*, in virtual space, and not in your *here and now*, so it might be easier to compartmentalise.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    I played Blood on the Clocktower recently, and it cemented my thought that, while I love the concept of social deduction, I fundamentally cannot play social deduction games.

So all the information can be wrong? You can't logic out anything and have to rely on your ability to figure out when people are lying? An ability you do not have?

By the end of the second game, I was advocating burning the town down and killing all of us. We'd get the demons then for sure!

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Jacoby wrote: »
    I played Blood on the Clocktower recently, and it cemented my thought that, while I love the concept of social deduction, I fundamentally cannot play social deduction games.

So all the information can be wrong? You can't logic out anything and have to rely on your ability to figure out when people are lying? An ability you do not have?

By the end of the second game, I was advocating burning the town down and killing all of us. We'd get the demons then for sure!

I am TERRIBLE at social deduction games. The only one I partway enjoy is Hail Hydra, because you can at least partly work out some information and there's an actual game you play as part of it.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    the only social deduction game i've ever liked has been the Thing game, which has the unfortunate trivia of being OoP because THE COMPANY MADE AND SOLD THE GAME WITHOUT THE RIGHTS TO THE THING HOLY CRAP HOW DID THEY GET AWAY WITH THAT FOR YEARS

but yeah, it's explicitly because there's actual gameplay and not just warewolf yelling at people and acting like it's strategy

the only social deduction game i've ever liked has been the Thing game, which has the unfortunate trivia of being OoP because THE COMPANY MADE AND SOLD THE GAME WITHOUT THE RIGHTS TO THE THING HOLY CRAP HOW DID THEY GET AWAY WITH THAT FOR YEARS

but yeah, it's explicitly because there's actual gameplay and not just warewolf yelling at people and acting like it's strategy

Well that's an interesting thing I didn't know about...

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I imagine they figured they could get away with it...I mean..."The Thing"....as a movie name doesnt really sound like something that could be fully copyrighted. "Oh its not "The Thing" the movie, its totally a completely different "The Thing" horror monster based board game. its more That thing instead of The thing see Judge?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum