D&D 5E: On Wings of Midnight

1363739414248

Posts

  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Gear's knoweldge of metal working is limited, but she's pretty keen on the chest.

    See, she knows something others dont: Her knowledge is limited. but Irohs? Irohs is not.

    She does wish she could have traded with Nilbog directly, but ah well

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited September 16
    Vignettes, sometime after the auction

    Counterbalanced Spellfocus Stock

    Gear's first project is relatively simple. With iroh's advice, she locates some unusual wood that a fisherman had to sell - driftwood, washed smoothed and with a strange pattern to it's grain. Once she has it in hand, she sets to work carving a new stock for the Monkey's Mischief, one that'll hold her magic and let her work through it. Once the stock is carved, she takes some of the iron and melts it down, working it in to the stock in bands and other patterns.

    Goal: Upgrade to Monkey's Mischief - A new stock and core for it that lets it be held (But not fired) in one hand. Can take gear's Enhanced Arcane Focus infusion & Arcane Firearm when she gets that.

    Geth roll 1d20+6 for Woodworkin'
    Geth roll 1d20+6 for Woodworkin' Advantage

    Demon Automaton Core
    Tizu looks over at Gear wearily in the rig. "You're sure you want to make something out of this?" he says, looking at the demon-bone infront of both of them. "It was literally possessed by demons you severely Physically inconvenienced. Well, murdered. Some of that might still linger." Gear nods. "I'm sure. I've already made a possibly foolish pact with tiger gods. And... I need speed, Tizu. If i'm going to keep my people, my family safe from whatever shit Avad's done. If i get this right, that'll help. I'll be that much faster in combat."

    The bit Gear doesnt tell Tizu is the dreams she's been having of this design - a carved fang to help her ambushes, a tiger's tooth of demon victims.

    "Well, you know yourself best Sister" tizu says doubtfully. They set to work, carving the demon tusk into a tooth, forging a tiny chain necklace for Gear wear it on from more of the iron ingot, and a spiderweb of iron threads to hold the carved bone.

    Goal: Necklace, requires attunement. While attuned, Gear can roll a HD to summon one of her eldrtich turrets instantly, without requiring an action or bonus action (So... free object interaction?). She takes damage equal to the roll as the price for this. She can still summon her turrets in the normal way, with the normal limiters on such (First one's free per long rest, takes an action, any other after the first one expires costs her a first level spell slot to do)

    Geth roll 1d20+7 for Tinkering with bone
    Geth roll 1d20+7 for TwB Advantage

    Woodworkin':
    1d20+6 19 [1d20=13]
    Woodworkin' Advantage:
    1d20+6 12 [1d20=6]
    Tinkering with bone:
    1d20+7 24 [1d20=17]
    TwB Advantage:
    1d20+7 10 [1d20=3]

    The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Hado bids on the Reef armor! 10gp!

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 16
    Waving both his arms, the guy bids, “17gp!”

    That’s annoying. But then a stout Dwarf raises a fan they’ve been cooling themselves with.

    Gruffly they say, “30gp. I’ll be needing that.”

    Must be a woman with a voice so gruff. She has a curly moustache and is wearing a beautiful dress. Like all Dwarven dresses, it counts as heavy armour, and has a bone corset that pushes up her bosom like two terrible mountains you could build fortresses on.

    Will you outbid the wealthy woman?



    Later, Gear looks over their work with her uncle...

    Counterbalanced Spell Focus Stock
    You spent 10gp to get the materials you needed. It was a good day for it, and given how much wealth you’ve come into recently it was a steal for what you were going to end up with.

    Gear and Iroh tinker away together over biscuits, reminiscing about her childhood and discussing her plans for the future.

    —It’s exactly as you intend Gear, however... you’ll have to ground down the Ice Wand to complete it. The wand’s ice magic won’t carry over in any useful manner. Are you willing to part with it?

    Demon Automaton Core
    Unbeknownst to Gear, Tizu readies a club they borrow from a neighbour. As she fits the last piece together the core springs to life, flinging from the table! It warps one of Gear unfinished turrets around it and prepares to fire.

    Tizu swings for it! Knocking it into a tool box, which they then shut by sitting on it. They give you a look, but don’t call you out on it.

    It takes a further day of tinkering to get it under control.

    —While you initially assumed it would damage you, the core is so well made it will only require you to expend a hit die to summon your eldritch turret in this way.

    —Along with requiring you to expend a hit die to summon it as a free action, when you summon your eldritch turret in this way, if you roll of 1 or 2 on an attack action the turret will instead successfully hit a target of its choice in range.

    Gear, you do not have to accept this flaw. However, it will cost you 50gp to remove it.

    Iroh strokes their beard in contemplation.

    “Just you look after yourself, okay?”, they say out of the blue one afternoon, “I believe in you. In what you’re capable of, but you’re not invincible.”

    He doesn’t give you a hug or anything, but he does get more biscuits and starts discussing the finer points of explosives.

    Prototype Flash-bang
    This isn’t your work Gear. For this you just helped your uncle. You’re certain you can make a better one, but going through this initial process is a necessary part of invention.

    f5jkpri9k0r5.jpeg


    Endless_Serpents on
    Darmak
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited September 17
    ((I'll sacrifice the wand and the 50gp to finish both and remove the flaw. 10% chance for friendly fire is a real risk! Also when there's time, Gear will Identify the potions if that will work. ))

    The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    [OOC: Okay buddy. Yeah, all this will be identified before the expedition to the wilds. None of it is on your person for this auction house segment.]

    “Going once... going twice...!”

    Will any of you intervene to buy this waterproof medium armour?

  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    ((I assume @Tynnan will when they have internet again!))

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 17
    [OOC: Yis!

    For no reason, here’s some real people that inspire the New Zellatian look... which is very varied, to be honest.]

    43icsn549ppe.jpeg
    5ga61ltzvh6q.jpeg
    rbryihyocjgw.jpeg
    vx0xzb65vdia.jpeg
    sivz1ebxa9gb.jpeg
    tjlo4ejzo8uw.jpeg
    kaee550f7kt3.jpeg
    7ov7hr2epsed.jpeg


    Endless_Serpents on
    The Zombie PenguinTynnanDarmak
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    ((a lot of that is very much my asthetics))

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    Endless_Serpents
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Hado bids! 35gp!

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    “Sold!”

    The guy let’s out a sad sigh. Hado! You have defeated your nemesis! ...for now!

    Hado has claimed the waterproof armour.

    The last armour is sold to another for a hefty price.



    g8cm5up0rw7t.jpeg
    aay5dlf2bzoy.jpeg


    There is a convenient changing room should Hado wish to change right away.

    Who will carry the other armour set? Gear can’t hide it all up her magic sleeves, and it’s going to be unwieldy keeping a whole armour set in your pack.

  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Hado has spent 80gp between buying the reef armor and the potions

  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    [OOC: Baber will carry it, they're nice and strong! Like a pack mule! Or whatever the New Zellatia equivalent is!]

    V0iJ9AS.png
    Endless_Serpents
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    “And now our next items...”, the auctioneer says cheerily, reading over some notes, “The seller wishes to remain unknown, but here we have a genuine steel chest! What’s more, inside it we have some prized possessions of the seller. I believe the seller has many children to care for, or so I gathered, so let’s be generous, shall we? We will be bidding for these first. Ten unique pieces of jewellery fit for a king, including a fetching pair of horn ornaments!”

    Tizu perks up, curious.

    The auctioneer smiles warmly as the workmen bring the heavy chest to the middle of the stage. There’s a hush as folk lean forward for a better look.

    “Truly, ladies and gentlemen and uniquely defined persons, I have not seen jewellery so beautiful in my long career!”

    He opens the chest.

    It’s empty.

    He closes the chest. He opens it just an inch and peers inside. He whispers frantically to the workmen. They, and now other workers rush about for a few minutes. The auctioneer is sweating.

    “We’ve been robbed!”, he says to the crowd.

  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Baber leaps to their feet and asks the auctioneer, "Has the chest been unattended for any amount of time? When was the jewelry last seen?"

    V0iJ9AS.png
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 17
    “It was held in a locked room. Only myself and these fellows have held the items since taking them from the seller! They’re both trustworthy!”, gasps the auctioneer.

    One of the workers speaks up, “I guess we opened the chest last evening before locking the whole place up.”

    “Um. I actually didn’t lock up the room we had the chest in, because we lock up the building... which has always been enough.”, replies the other one, scratching his head nervously.

    So while the auction house itself was locked up, that was the only thing keeping anyone from the chest’s contents.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    "So the thief probably waited inside the building until everything was locked up, and then stole the jewelry! Then they either waited inside until someone came to unlock the building and escaped, or they're still around here for some unknown reason. Has anyone noticed anyone suspicious hanging around the past couple days?"

    Baber is now On The Trail™

    V0iJ9AS.png
    Endless_SerpentsTynnan
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Hercule Poirot

    x5su7xzdkynh.jpeg

    +

    Manta Ray

    us7giyytivvq.jpeg

    =

    Baber

    TynnanDarmakThe Zombie Penguin
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    +

    b7uzhd1it696.jpg

    Endless_SerpentsDarmakThe Zombie Penguin
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 17
    The auctioneer nods, relieved someone is already trying to help. If he can’t sell the jewellery he’ll have to pay back the seller without any profit being made.

    “Yes! Must have stayed inside!”, he repeats.

    The workmen have a think, “Don’t think anyone was here! We would’ve kicked ‘em out. As for weird stuff... Well, a statue from the roof fell off a couple days ago.”

    His partner cuts in, “Roof’s haunted I bet.”

    “We do not have a haunted roof!”, says the auctioneer, “It’s always ghosts with you! Who’s going to haunt a small domed roof!?”

    “Roof ghost.”, comes the reply.



    As far as you can tell the domed roof of the auction house is solid. There are no windows in and out of the building on the roof.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    In the meantime, Hado has absconded to a changing room with the Reef Hunter Armor. Wearing his new threads, he emerges into the developing ruckus just as Baber sets themselves on the hunt.

    "I was only gone for a minute and there's been a burglary?! Baber, I've got your back!"

    Darmak
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    The workmen don’t want to put themselves in a bad spot.

    If you want more details, you’ll need to persuade or intimidate them.

  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited September 17
    Hado had refrained from spellcasting during the bidding, figuring it would get him tossed out in short order, but now he pulls out his focus and taps some Guidance into himself. He'll pull a chair from the bidding area and beckon one of the workers over to talk to him. He'll Riker-swing his leg over the chair and sit close to the worker.

    "So. Roof ghost. What's it look like? What's it sound like? If you're haunted, someone must have at least heard it." Hado has sat himself fairly close to the worker, emphasizing his Ishtari bulk, but is more interested in gauging their reactions here than in applying overt pressure. After he hears from this one, he'll talk individually with the other one separately and see whether their claims line up.

    Geth roll 1d20+5+1d4 for insight (phooey)

    insight:
    1d20+5+1d4 9 [1d20=3] [1d4=1]

    Tynnan on
    Darmak
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    “Er... um... I don’t think there is one. This place is way more of a wreck than the boss lets on though. There’s damp coming up the back wall from the cellar.”, he points in the general direction to behind the stage curtains, “And thought I saw a huge rat yesterday! Look, we locked this place up yesterday, that’s all I know.”

    You catch the other one a minute later.

    “Well I mean ghost is just an idea. Maybe a curse? This place as had bad luck for weeks. I bet magic could steal the jewellery. Like... a timed spell? The old man that wants his stuff sold seemed really shady. They were a... well, they were a green skinned, white haired, sharp teethed sort. Funny accent. Maybe they stole their own jewellery as part of an elaborate scheme!”

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Looks like you need to investigate the scene of the crime too.

  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Baber walks to the other worker and also strikes a Riker pose.

    "Tell me, friend, can you remember anything unusual? Anything at all?"

    Geth roll 1d20+2 for persuasion

    xu06b0k1m30j.png

    persuasion:
    1d20+2 21 [1d20=19]

    V0iJ9AS.png
    Tynnan
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 17
    “Like I said to your friend, I thought I saw a huge rat here once. This big.”

    He holds his hands apart, as if that’s evidence.

    “I can assure you, no one has been has been in here who shouldn’t have been. The cellar is starting to smell a bit now that I think about it. Just funky, I don’t know what.”

    You have established the roof talk was a red herring. You may be on to something that the thief is in this building. As a fact, I can tell you the auctioneer and the workers are not the culprit.

    Anything you need the workmen to do, Baber has successfully brought them on side.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Gear heads over to the chest and stares at it real hard. Time to use some good ol' Gear skills!

    Geth roll 1d20+6 for investigate!

    investigate!:
    1d20+6 19 [1d20=13]

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 17
    Gear

    You give it a thorough once over. There’s no hidden compartments. It’s not magical. The contents is really missing.

    As anticlimactic as that is, it’s a vital piece of the puzzle. So it really was stolen! By who? You must find out! Your genius won’t allow anything less.



    Hado & Baber

    You both take a long leaning pose together as you discuss the crowd in the auction house.

    It’s hard to say if anyone is guilty. They’re all regular looking folks—as far as that goes around here.

    There’s the recently retired mercenary.

    The wealthy Dwarf woman.

    That guy.

    There’s still a need to look around the building to. Will one of you split off to do that, or will you both go? Perhaps Gear should stay, or search? It’s a tough one. You need a quick plan of action.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    ((I should have clarified, I was looking for any clues in how it had been stolen, caught fur or similar))

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    ((anyway, this is the Baber and Hado show. I can stay here or go drive endless mad wth investigate rolls))

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Gear

    Having considered the chest you step around it, paying no mind to the auctioneer as you step in circles, replaying the movements of the workmen that carried it onstage in your mind. You stop when you step backwards into a crate behind the stage curtains.

    Looking it over, you find it as a few small scratch marks on one size, right near the floor. They’re not too deep; whatever tried to get in stopped not long after trying. The crate itself says “handle with care”.

    “That crate has a glass swan inside it.”, the auctioneer says, hoping that’ll be of some help, “Absolutely clear as crystal, with two tiny sapphires for eyes!”

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Gear, Primodem Detective

    The Zombie Penguin
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Gear passes this info on to Baber, professional investigatior!

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Baber strokes their chin thoughtfully and nods, staring blankly

    V0iJ9AS.png
    The Zombie Penguin
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    "I think I'll go check out the cellar. Either of y'all want to come with me? Whoever doesn't can stay here and look around some more, ask other people here questions, etc."

    V0iJ9AS.png
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Gear all upstage Hado and come with Baber, on grounds that she's terrible at people!

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Hado rises from his seat, swinging his leg over its back as he does. "I'm right behind you, Baber."

  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    It looks like the whole crew is going on a mystery investigation. Baber is as smart as a tack, and just as pointy

    vg5yfgx7v1nh.png

    V0iJ9AS.png
    Endless_Serpents
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    The three of you strut passed everyone and make your way behind the stage. Whatever opportunity was to be had by talking to more folks is lost, but the case takes priority and it’s unlikely the thief was among them. You look very cool and mysterious.

    You don’t know much about what’s ahead, but you’re after the cellar. You don’t need to search every room, at least, no one would expect you to. Nobody’s really invented how a proper investigation goes yet.

    What do you do?

    7m77843msv1s.jpeg

Sign In or Register to comment.