D&D 5E: On Wings of Midnight

1383941434448

Posts

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 20
    “T’ku-Yo’s crimson brazier*! No! The boss has had those for years! I don’t come in here much, though he did call us in to give us the day off just before the festival. I looked at them, I remember them being whole, just like usual! The thief must have smashed them!”, the workman wails.

    After a quick touch, you note the cabinet can be opened and the windowed door is light weight.

    *An expression referring to a minor goddess and the bra she used as an impromptu sling. It means: shocking!

    Endless_Serpents on
    Darmak
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    "Hmmmm, yesssss, very interesting, I see now," Baber says, stroking their chin in a very thoughtful manner.

    V0iJ9AS.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    They walk to the dwarven clock and give it a good look too.

    V0iJ9AS.png
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 20
    It’s stopped at a twelve, the hour, minute and second hand all vertical.

    If that happened yesterday, well what a coincidence.

    If it happened say... on the night of the festival, and this clock runs on magic (and what else do you run a clock on?)... Did that whole getting thrown through the spheres and travelling back do something?

    It was dark. You took those birds from outside a bar... what’s across the street from this place again?

    Endless_Serpents on
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Gear snuffs her light, and focuses.

    Whate'vers growling and snarlin... Gear wants to see it. and if there's anything she knows, it's that she's sneaky. Right!?

    Geth roll 1d20+2 for Stealth

    Stealth:
    1d20+2 16 [1d20=14]

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    You don’t see it, not enough, but there’s something dog-sized in the dark. Before you snuffed your light you thought you saw something glint in the far corner.

    You can move at a slow pace in the area without getting caught. That’s up to 30 feet. Show me on the map where you end up.

    You’re now in a turn order with whatever is here in the dark. You go first.

    s0czxvxxh0x7.jpeg


    Gear! You now have proficiency in Stealth!

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular

    Darmak
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Gear is going to walk forward a bit slowly, and try and see whatever this is. She's not interested in hurting it (Currently!)

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 22
    It’s just as dark as a moment ago.

    You’re now pretty sure the creature is in the corner opposite the glint you saw just before you turned your light out. That must be the jewellery!

    Above your head you hear a sudden fluttering! In the corner you hear a tail swish. The smell of dust fills your receptors as the old air is pushed around.

    Do you grab the jewellery in the dark? Will you take your time with that or rush?

    Will you slowly back off and flee?

    The choice is yours!

    Endless_Serpents on
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Gear considers that she may have made mistakes. Clearly impossible.

    She backs up out of the room, creates a light, and walks forward slowly. "I'm not here to hurt you. I just wanna talk, whatever you are."

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 22
    “SKRRRREEEEE!”, one says diplomatically as it swoops passed your shoulder, pulling you a further step forward.

    The other shakes its head rapidly, momentarily blinded by your light. It raises its hackles and stares you down, stepping sideways like an angry cat.

    eig9n7xvz0qy.jpeg
    jmzhvy5z1gk6.jpeg

    You’ve lost track of the flying one. The one on the ground is about four foot long.

    The jewellery, plus some beads from a gown and several bit of junk have been piled up in the corner. They’re making a hoard!

    Okay. Little dragons—but maybe not little enough. Roll for initiative!
    Geth roll 1d20+4 for the Male
    Geth roll 1d20+2 for the Female

    the Male:
    1d20+4 10 [1d20=6]
    the Female:
    1d20+2 19 [1d20=17]

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 22
    owdzni0f58iy.jpeg


    Picking up the jewellery will take a full action.

    The shaft back up to the first floor is some distance away.

    No one knows you’re down here, and you’re not sure how powerful two dragon youths are.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    ((Oookay. It Occurs to me at this point that i'm really unsure how much time has passed, and if so... thing.

    So i wanted to change up my prepared spells, because one of the first level spells caught my eye. Snare. The thing is, i would have needed a chance to shop for more rope to set this up. Basically, i'm looking to non-lethally disable these things. I know that you can call attacks as being non-lethal, but uh, opening up with laser blasts and electric punches seems... rude?))

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    ((TLDR: I need some guidance here: I Do Not Want To Murder The Dragon Bebbies. I wish to Adopt them, possibly, but mostly with the not-murdering em))

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Baber sighs and looks around the office one more time, then tells Hado they're gonna check in on Gear and see what she's found. They quietly close their eyes and Send her a message.

    "Hey buddy, find anything cool? We found two broken painted eggs and paintings of dragons, hah! That's weird. Also a broken clock. What about you?"

    V0iJ9AS.png
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    [OOC: Five minutes or less have passed since you left the party. 4 minutes, let’s say.

    You could spend a turn collecting up all the jewellery, tank some baby hits, then run for it.

    If you wanted to buy some time as you leave, you could maybe throw whatever object you’ve lit, and the one on the ground will likely go for it, because draconic creatures are basically cats.]

  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    "baby dragons! Angry. Making hoard with stolen treasure. Attempting to non-lethally subdue. Send help!"

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Baber

    Oh no.



    Hado

    Baber passes the information on. What do you know about dragons?

    Give me a Nature check.



    Gear

    You’re faltering. There are so many options your big brain is nearly overloading. What will you do?

  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Baber shouts, "FUCK!" and their skin strobes through purple and red and a black unlight in worry for Gear. They run from the room, looking for the auctioneer to open the hatch in the cellar

    V0iJ9AS.png
    The Zombie Penguin
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited September 22
    Geth roll 1d20+1d4-1 for Nature

    Against all odds, Hado actually might know something here!

    Nature:
    1d20+1d4-1 18 [1d20=18] [1d4=1]

    Tynnan on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 22
    Baber

    “Alright everyone. We have a situation, but nevertheless we will begin the bid for the steel cheeee—”

    You pull the auctioneer through the curtains and explain what you need.

    “I’m not a magic practitioner!”, they say, shaking their head, “I’ve always known about the trapdoor, but why would I be fool enough to open it? What if there was something down there? Dragons you say? Surely not!”

    “The eggs... I did buy them on the understanding they were dragon eggs... but I never would have assumed they might still hatch! This is amazing! No one alive has seen a dragon! What a privilege!”

    The auctioneer runs off towards the trapdoor. As they pass the workmen they call for them to go find some hammers, saws, anything. If you can’t open in the right way, they’ll do it if it takes all day.

    Baber! How fortunate, you’ve halted the auction!

    You gain 10 experience.
    I was legit going to sell the chest during all this to lead Gear on a chase to find the buyer, who obviously doesn’t need it as much as she.

    Endless_Serpents on
    Darmak
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    ((you do know that all I want to do with the chest is feed it to Fragment right? And you know, make sure the Gobbos are all okay))

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 22
    Hado

    It was never a topic you needed to know about, but you might call dragons the greatest of beasts, so you felt it right to learn a bit about them.

    Dragons were never common, and grew rarer by the century. There hasn’t been any in this area in living memory.

    Legends say some dragons are so huge all they do is slumber, and earth quakes are caused by them rolling over. They never stop growing.

    Dragons grow extra limbs over time. As juveniles the males start with two legs and two wings, the females have four legs.

    Every dragon is unique. Each has a potent breath weapon, but you can’t tell what by the colour of their scales or anything like that. For a young one they can only use their breath weapon three times per day.

    Dragons instinctively seek to make a hoard and are very territorial over it. A hoard somehow empowers them, giving them ‘lair magic’, as it was known. You’ve not certain what that is.

    No dragon can be tamed in the long term. There’s never been a dragon rider or the like, but some legends have dragons help a hero in some manner before leaving. Most paint them as the wild, uncontrollable villain of the tale.

    Dragons start about as cunning as a parrot, and become very intelligent over many, many years.

    Hado! You have advantage on your next roll.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Gear blinks. Okay. they like shiny things. She drops the tiny rock she'd imbued with light, and... books it.

    She's not equipped to disable these, and she's loathe to just... kill something new to the world like this. Fights are one thing, murder is another entirely. The moment she's in shadows again, she concentrates on just vanishing.

    Geth roll 1d20+4 for stealth

    stealth:
    1d20+4 14 [1d20=10]

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    ((Gear's plan is to find where the trapdoor is form down here, grapple up to it, and pop it open, then get help to subdue the dragons non-lethally)

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 22
    Gear

    The girl leaps at the rock, bites it and shakes it in her mouth before throwing it on the hoard.

    You haven’t lost them—slink like a tiger—and the boy takes to the air from wherever he was perched—slink into the reeds of darkness—preparing to dive bomb you!

    You can expend a hit die to throw them off your trail. However, if you do they will follow shortly after and lay blame on the invasion of their territory on whoever they see fist.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Gear slinks into the reeds of darkness, and heads straight for the trapdoor. The moment she's in range, she'll do something that's really going to fuck with everyone:

    Take flight. And once she's airborne, she'll fly up to the trapdoor, ELECTRIC PUNCH it, and head on through.

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    Endless_Serpents
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Gear

    You hear a click, then a shhh of air pressure as the trapdoor opens. The door itself transforms into a staircase, moving down a step at a time.

    Make a Dexterity saving throw to avoid being squashed under the staircase!

  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    (Can it be argued that since i'm you know, FLYING, i have advatnage on this saving throw? I feel like that should count for a lot! I will roll, and youi can just disregard it if you dont agree)

    Geth roll 1d20+2 for DST
    Geth roll 1d20+2 for DSTA

    DST:
    1d20+2 16 [1d20=14]
    DSTA:
    1d20+2 5 [1d20=3]

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 23
    [OOC: Hang on. This doesn’t work.]

    Chomp:
    1d20+5 22 [1d20=17]

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 23
    Gear

    You hover a few feet away as the staircase comes down.

    You see a few figures silhouetted in the square frame of light.

    You now see you flew over what looks like a bear trap. There’s a few others down here, you’re lucky you didn’t get trapped!

    Suspiciously, the dragons are no where to be seen.

    vfs4k17cxfh4.jpeg
    025n2ld14oeb.jpeg

    Endless_Serpents on
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    "baby dragons, somewhere down there
    Grab a net. Also yes I can fly now, it's cool".

    Wth that great flops next to Baber having had a little too much adrenaline

    ((Ooc and with that in going to bed. Please keep things moving without me!))

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    With your various sources of light it’s no difficulty to avoid stepping in a trap.

    Do you make your way to the jewellery hoard?

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    The auctioneer chooses not to go down once he sees the traps, but waits at the top in case you do find a dragon.

  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Hado turns to the auctioneer and says, "If there are dragons down there, we should go in prepared. I'm going to need some shiny trinkets and some meat - if they are young enough, we might be able to relocate them without destroying your building here. If we can't distract them or convince them we don't want to hurt them, then things become more dangerous for your foundations. Anything you can give us to help would be very useful."

  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Baber pulls their net from their pack and activates their armor's plating. "I'll stay with you but I won't do anything to interfere unless you absolutely need me to try and subdue or restrain one. I'm ready when you are."

    [OOC: How does Baber's glow work with this armor that I assume covers them from head to toe? Does it shine through, or does the armor when active completely cover the glow?]

    V0iJ9AS.png
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Hado

    The auctioneer isn’t a fan of parting with more items, but he looks around and gives you five little topaz gems. They’ll cost you 10gp each if you lose them.



    Baber

    Once activated, this armour limited your natural light by 10 feet, and you can’t use it to communicate with those who would understand your language.

    Fractal, hexagonal shapes of light spread out as you enter the cellar.



    How do you approach the situation? Steadily or at a sprint? Gear lost them, so where they are now is unknown. You also all know where the stolen jewellery is, so you head for that first?

  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    "10gp each? Look. This is your auction house with the dragon problem."

    Darmak
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    “Uh, well. Just try not to lose them.”, he submits.

    Hado earns 10 experience for standing up to the wealthy auctioneer. You ain’t such a farm boy any more!

    TynnanDarmak
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Having successfully rebuffed the penny-pinching auctioneer, Hado will set out into the basement to methodically (and unsubtly) search for the dragon(ling?)s. He'll hold out his shield from the end, upside-down, with a topaz sat in the overturned scoop at the far end. Since Hado wouldn't have a mental map corresponding to what you've posted for us, he'll go down the stairs and proceed left, making his way around the area in a clockwise manner.

    To Baber, he asks: "could you keep an eye out for more traps like that one on the stairs? I won't be able to see my feet while I'm doing this."

    To Gear, he asks: "could you make one or two of these gems glow, using your artifice?"

Sign In or Register to comment.