Mashups, Remixes, Covers, Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives

WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young ManLiving Is HarderRegistered User regular
MASHUPS

REMIXES

COVERS

0c4sk5xg36fs.png

What, in your opinion, is the best new twist on an old favorite?

FencingsaxKristmas Kthulhudjmitchella

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

TankHammer
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    This was one of the most frequently played/watched songs in college for my friends & I.

NSFW

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    TheStig
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I passionately consider this better than the original.

WACriminalFencingsaxBahamutZEROVirgil_Leads_YouDee KaeKristmas KthulhuRingoTankHammerBucketman
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I have a number of go-to's for this.

Andy Rehfeldt for remixes.

DJ Cummerbund and Bill McClintock for mashups.

Scary Pockets for (funk) covers.

And I still have a soft spot for Postmodern Jukebox doing old covers of new songs.

steam_sig.png
    Brainleech
  • SorceSorce Registered User regular
    Covers? I got those.

Got mashups too.

Dig it.

steam_sig.png
    Backloggery. It's totally updated again, I swear!
    Ringo
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I like the episodes where Guy has to taste something that he vocally dislikes. Rare, but very amusing.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • UrielUriel Registered User regular

Makes me feel good

DepressperadoJragghenWACriminalBahamutZERO#pipeOne Thousand CablesDoodmannCrippl3djmitchellaAzraithPeewiTankHammerfacetiousBucketman
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular

• ThatDudeOverThereThatDudeOverThere Clock King Registered User regular
    here are some of my favorites

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Party Rock Apple!! - LMFAO vs. Alstroemeria Records 5:17

5myiokloks5d.png
    THESPOOKY
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited June 13

Brick Halo is the rare mashup which is genuinely better than either original song.

E: swapped to a SoundCloud link some it credits the DJ

Jragghen on
    Depressperado
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    this is probably my favorite mash up

if I'm drunk at a party there is a 80% chance I am about to sneak over to the phone plugged into the stereo and put this song on

JragghenGrey GhostmiscellaneousinsanityTankHammer
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    you're gonna love this

DepressperadoBahamutZEROSorce
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    after hearing the mashup in college, I can't really listen to "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" or "Wonderwall" on their own; they sound incomplete.

JragghenFencingsaxTankHammer
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular

I listened to this a lot.

A note: This is NSFW and gets visually NSFW around 2mins in.....

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    Jragghen
    This is one of my favorite pop-mash-ups.

JragghenWACriminalTankHammer
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    mashedup

remixed

covered

WACriminal
  • chr1sh4ll3ttb3chr1sh4ll3ttb3 A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Covers?

Triple J's got you covered:

One Thousand Cables
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    This is one of my favorite pop-mash-ups.

Yeah, for mega-mashups where people try to do the top songs in a given year, nothing has ever come close. It's not just a good mashup, it's not just a bunch of good songs, it's COHERENT - it's like an actual song.

The only other mega mashup that comes close that I can think of is DJ Schmolli's Rock of Ages.

ZonugalKana
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

QRK7dOP.gif
    WACriminal
    This might be favorite remix of anything.

• FearghaillFearghaill If there is nothing but what we make in this world let us make goodRegistered User regular
    lets get some Ithaca Studio up in here

Grey GhostWACriminaldjmitchellaTankHammer
  • FearghaillFearghaill If there is nothing but what we make in this world let us make goodRegistered User regular
    What's that? You prefer mashups that are more 1:1 rather than the layered collages?

Kleptones got you covered

Bite - (ODBxQueen)

Hella Touch (BustaxNo Doubt)

YTMND is back, and with it this absolute masterpiece
    https://snoopkirby2.ytmnd.com/

Grey GhostWACriminalOne Thousand CablesDee Kae
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    holy shit Doug

QRK7dOP.gif
    Fearghaill
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular

Mwx884o.jpg
    Wait this thread is for covers too? Here’s a cover that makes me want to fistfight god, it’s too powerful

Grey GhostUsagiOne Thousand CablesTankHammerBahamutZERO
  • ThatDudeOverThereThatDudeOverThere Clock King Registered User regular
    "what if I did X in the style of Y" is a weird type of cover that usually doesn't work well, but here's one I like

it's a dude covering wicked game while trying to sound like a perfect circle

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I always thought The Middle and Such Great Heights would mash up well.

torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • ElaroElaro Threadkiller, Harbinger of the Lock GodsRegistered User regular
    The story of an abusive metalhead boyfriend and the black woman that broke free of him...

Now showing "I Will Survive the Rainbow in the Dark"!

My ongoing quest to ask Larlar if he's a good source of Malarlarkey: NEW SCHEME HATCHING
    Sorce
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    "what if I did X in the style of Y" is a weird type of cover that usually doesn't work well, but here's one I like

it's a dude covering wicked game while trying to sound like a perfect circle

I really like the Hannah Boulton and Rabea cover of Wicked Game

VayBJ4e.png
    Sorce
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited June 19
    covered

The original of this song

now brace yourself

#pipe on
    miscellaneousinsanity
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Anyway I like remixes that totally and completely change the song. This one is probably my favourite

And I like mashups that use different songs like paints on a palette to make a new piece of music than just "X song's music with Y song's lyrics over the top"
    Here are two I listen to regularly

Kana
  • astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited June 19
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Wait this thread is for covers too? Here’s a cover that makes me want to fistfight god, it’s too powerful

I love that their cover art references Maniac, the 1980 slasher flick the song was written for before being passed off to Flashdance.
    df1ft1ou2nd0.jpeg

Edit: spoiled for huge.

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
    FearghaillFencingsax
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    Thanks @Fearghaill for shouting out the Kleptones' Queen mashup album. It was central in ensuring that I didn't leave high school as an "anything but rap and country" asshole. That whole album rules.

Anyway I love a good cover.

(I love that Fancy itself is a cover, originally written by Bobby Gentry in 1969)

Charly Bliss' version of Steal My Sunshine got me through an entire year of difficult times

miscellaneousinsanityFearghaill
    David Brothers had a really good little thread about covers of rap songs yesterday, and the example he gives at the end is fucking fantastic
    (there's more to the full thread, I'm just posting the highlights)

DoodmannVirgil_Leads_You
  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    I feel that it's important that this thread is aware of the magic ipod

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
    edited July 17
    huh, the Lissie video got taken down

that's fine, this is a recording of the exact same performance, considering I can hear her put her guitar down around 3:05

edit: oh she has the actual live recording on her channel too

Fearghaill on
    Sprout