As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

National Protests are Still a Thing Because of [Police Brutality]

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    You're talking about the CHOP, which is a location with loosely affiliated people, like it's a unified organization.

The Venn diagrams in play are not just a circle.

I don't know what you mean, and also don't see a BLM in any of those acronyms. From where I'm sitting, they are noise.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    spool32 wrote: »
    You're talking about the CHOP, which is a location with loosely affiliated people, like it's a unified organization.

I don't know what you mean, and also don't see a BLM in any of those acronyms. From where I'm sitting, they are noise.

CHOP was the area between the park and the East Precinct where the cops kept kettling people and hitting them with military-banned weapons and let that guy try to run over protesters and shoot a guy without taking action. It came into being when the cops abandoned the area in hopes that the protesters would burn things down.

It's basically "that area the cops abandoned for a bit after they couldn't use war-banned weapons anymore".

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

I recognize it's loosely affiliated nature and have explicitly called it out in most of my posts.

Loose affiliation has tradeoffs. Yes, it is impossible to say whether the people who shot those teens were "official" security or just randos. But on the other hand, because it's impossible to distinguish legitimate security, the primary narrative from CHAZ was that this shooting was a justified self defense against fascists and not shooting a couple kids in a van. And yes, that person at CHAZ has no authority and other people might have thought she's a dumbass, but because there's no organizational structure that doesn't prevent her or whoever she got her info from being a dumbass from stonewalling any ability to investigate or respond to what appears to be a totally unjustified shooting in CHAZ. Structurally, CHAZ has and probably would continue to result in shootings like this.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    spool32 wrote: »

CHOP was the area between the park and the East Precinct where the cops kept kettling people and hitting them with military-banned weapons and let that guy try to run over protesters and shoot a guy without taking action. It came into being when the cops abandoned the area in hopes that the protesters would burn things down.

It's basically "that area the cops abandoned for a bit after they couldn't use war-banned weapons anymore".

Basically think opposite of Thor: Ragnarok. CHOP is a place not a people. Police were free to come back at any time, they left of their own accord. So they're back, and people will go right back to protesting outside the stations waiting for them to fuck up. That's what I'll be doing this weekend.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    milski wrote: »

I recognize it's loosely affiliated nature and have explicitly called it out in most of my posts.

Loose affiliation has tradeoffs. Yes, it is impossible to say whether the people who shot those teens were "official" security or just randos. But on the other hand, because it's impossible to distinguish legitimate security, the primary narrative from CHAZ was that this shooting was a justified self defense against fascists and not shooting a couple kids in a van. And yes, that person at CHAZ has no authority and other people might have thought she's a dumbass, but because there's no organizational structure that doesn't prevent her or whoever she got her info from being a dumbass from stonewalling any ability to investigate or respond to what appears to be a totally unjustified shooting in CHAZ. Structurally, CHAZ has and probably would continue to result in shootings like this.

I mean, yes.

Clubs do the same thing.

Gatherings of young people at night in American culture tend to result in violence, especially if they're in toxic environments due to oppression. It's why my immediate reaction was that this is why we need less guns.

I stay the hell away from the Baltric Room club on Friday and Saturday nights because it attracts bullets.

It's also why I avoid cops: people who spend all their time holding guns like to use them.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

I mean, yes.

Clubs do the same thing.

Gatherings of young people at night in American culture tend to result in violence, especially if they're in toxic environments due to oppression. It's why my immediate reaction was that this is why we need less guns.

I stay the hell away from the Baltric Room club on Friday and Saturday nights because it attracts bullets.

It's also why I avoid cops: people who spend all their time holding guns like to use them.

This shooting at CHAZ, in comparison to the previous one, has issues well beyond just "young people get violent".

I ate an engineer
  • Options

I mean, yes.

Clubs do the same thing.

This shooting at CHAZ, in comparison to the previous one, has issues well beyond just "young people get violent".

In comparison to the shooting by the cop's brother?

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    CHAZ/CHOP was a beginning. A proof-of-concept. It was never going to last. But it proved what can be accomplished.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I'm sure we're all on the same page here in the understanding that CHAZ and CHOP were, are, and will be entirely under the jurisdiction of the Seattle PD unless and until they legally separate from the city, incorporate, form a charter and some kind of government, and negotiate contracts with the surrounding city just like any other suburb that gets surrounded by a municipality. CHAZ is more akin to campus protesters occupying the Dean's office than a separate government, they have about as much legal justification - maybe less, and it still exists only because of the optics involved in dispersing it.

I say this to point out that consuming media and attention is the only way to sustain the optics necessary for existence, which means on a public-discourse level it can only be a thing by consuming airtime that should be dedicated to BLM and addressing police violence.

• Options
    CHAZ/CHOP was a beginning. A proof-of-concept. It was never going to last. But it proved what can be accomplished.

I'd love to see something like it again where there are zero guns and there are sufficient barriers to keep motorists from killing people and the cops aren't hoping someone will die there so they can use it to thwart change.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    The CHAZ/CHOP was always temporary. Like the occupy camps. Like every other similar small utopian co-op protest. Especially in the middle of a city. Too many variables probably to make it permanent.

But it displayed good parts which was important.

It also demonstrated that protection of the populace with firearms for security, be it cops or not cops is a bad choice. In general public safety shouldn't include firearms unless under extreme circumstances.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    With the further information provided, I have to agree that these self-appointed armed guards were a mistake waiting to happen.

I feel the symbol of CHOP is still a strong one and that the gun culture is the larger (related) problem alongside the cops.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    With the further information provided, I have to agree that these self-appointed armed guards were a mistake waiting to happen.

I feel the symbol of CHOP is still a strong one and that the gun culture is the larger (related) problem alongside the cops.

Yeah. I'd like for them to stick to umbrellas. Guns are the tools of the oppressors.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I feel like the reason is less BLM and more state and local budgets being fucked by the fed response to COVID

That will almost certainly be the context of most of the cuts we see to police. The current protests provide a lot of local and state governments a handy excuse for including some police cuts when slashing their budgets to the bone.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Anarchists are often just left wing libertarians.

Both groups are silly geese.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

Yeah. I'd like for them to stick to umbrellas. Guns are the tools of the oppressors.
    There's a larger discussion that has to happen about security though. I don't mean here, I mean within the movement. Because this movement has (rightfully) declared the police unfit to serve the people, the police are now incentivized to look the other way when alt-right criminals swing by to visit harm upon protestors. We got lucky with that New Mexico Guard incident in that the police actually did their job and arrested the militia LARPers for attempting to murder a protestor via shots in the back, but there's already instances of cops providing protection to alt-right protestors or looking the other way when members of the press have been attacked (one such example being the Unicorn Riot reporter having their bike tires slashed and their person harmed by alt-right chuds; cops told them they'd be arrested instead because they were "agitating" people).

There's a lot of reason to consider security options. Where things are getting messed up is the internet sleuthing that goes on with this shit. Everyone everywhere is bad about internet sleuthing, trying to point toward "OH IT WAS THIS PERSON" and such.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I feel like this guy's claims are getting bigger and bigger with every telling of his story.

Which rooms they were going to live in??? After they burned his house???

Couscous on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    I feel like this guy's claims are getting bigger and bigger with every telling of his story.

I mean I always start my protest chant with "Murder the home owner and live in the spare bedroom because its got good bathroom access" its clunky, but specific.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    “One of ‘em said they were gonna attack and dethrone God!”

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

I mean I always start my protest chant with "Murder the home owner and live in the spare bedroom because its got good bathroom access" its clunky, but specific.

You'd have to specify which spare bedroom cause I'm sure that place has like 6-7 bedrooms or something ridiculous.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

You'd have to specify which spare bedroom cause I'm sure that place has like 6-7 bedrooms or something ridiculous.

Well clearly the one with good bathroom access, jeez shryke...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

There's a larger discussion that has to happen about security though. I don't mean here, I mean within the movement. Because this movement has (rightfully) declared the police unfit to serve the people, the police are now incentivized to look the other way when alt-right criminals swing by to visit harm upon protestors. We got lucky with that New Mexico Guard incident in that the police actually did their job and arrested the militia LARPers for attempting to murder a protestor via shots in the back, but there's already instances of cops providing protection to alt-right protestors or looking the other way when members of the press have been attacked (one such example being the Unicorn Riot reporter having their bike tires slashed and their person harmed by alt-right chuds; cops told them they'd be arrested instead because they were "agitating" people).

There's a lot of reason to consider security options. Where things are getting messed up is the internet sleuthing that goes on with this shit. Everyone everywhere is bad about internet sleuthing, trying to point toward "OH IT WAS THIS PERSON" and such.

Right now the one example of security we have is more trigger happy and back patty than the cops, so not a good look. :P "Meet the new boss same as the old boss" isn't exactly what we're going for here.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Right now the one example of security we have is more trigger happy and back patty than the cops, so not a good look. :P "Meet the new boss same as the old boss" isn't exactly what we're going for here.
    I agree. But the idea that they shouldn't defend themselves at all is naive. It's a matter of getting better.

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular

I agree. But the idea that they shouldn't defend themselves at all is naive. It's a matter of getting better.

Is it though? Look, I haven't seen anywhere NEAR enough info to know that we can make the decision, but what we know is a kid is in the hospital and another kid is dead. We don't have more info than that, which is ARGUABLY worse than what's going with the cops. This may have been 100% justified, but so far no information is coming out either way, just a whole lot of nothing. (Well, nothing with a side of "see?" from the cops)

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

This is somehow worst though. This is the definition of mob violence. I knew at some point it was going to happen, because it had the makings of one, but the optics on this are going to tear up a lot of positive traction as many moderates say “we need the police, this is out of control.”

zepherin on
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Hydropolo wrote: »

Is it though? Look, I haven't seen anywhere NEAR enough info to know that we can make the decision, but what we know is a kid is in the hospital and another kid is dead. We don't have more info than that, which is ARGUABLY worse than what's going with the cops. This may have been 100% justified, but so far no information is coming out either way, just a whole lot of nothing. (Well, nothing with a side of "see?" from the cops)

Trying to show you can live without the police has to happen with private citizens either unarmed or armed and either way you end up dealing with cops going "See?!?"

Either you're armed and you kill someone or you're unarmed and you get killed. In either scenario the cops are going to step back and go, "See and that's why you have cops!"

Personally I'd prefer unarmed and that we wouldn't be in a position where getting killed was on the table, but...America's gotta America.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Hydropolo wrote: »

Well, that a 16-year old kid is dead and there was a drive by shooting targeting the tent area of Cal Anderson Park where a vehicle of similar appearance was used prior to the shooting of the teenager.

Of course, targeting a potential threat where your sole assessment of a threat is "driving a white SUV," you may want to hold off on deploying lethal force until there's a more obvious threat, considering that a white SUV ain't exactly the most rare of vehicles on the roads of Seattle. But, then again, I wasn't there...

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    CHOP is important in that it reminded NYers of the Occupy protests so now City Hall is being occupied

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    CHOP is important in that it reminded NYers of the Occupy protests so now City Hall is being occupied

Christ I hope they manage to get the NYPD defunded sooner rather than later.

• Options
    Hacksaw wrote: »

On that note, Bill de Blasio is being a silly goose.
    "She's just wrong," BilldeBlasio says of AOC charge that the $1b in police cuts aren't real
    The good congresswoman had a pretty short but effective answer to it.

For those who can't see the tweet, it's simply an image of a NYT tweet that shockingly gets right to the point.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I wonder how long it will take for people to realize AOC is better at this than any of them. If you come at the queen...

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I wonder how long it will take for people to realize AOC is better at this than any of them. If you come at the queen...

All it takes is one real mistake on her part. That's what they're banking on. She has any slip up of significance, and they will all pounce the fuck on that.

Because conservatives can fuck up consistently, it's baked in. Centrists too, for the most part. But a leftist shows a single opening, and they get torn down.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

"She's just wrong," BilldeBlasio says of AOC charge that the $1b in police cuts aren't real

For those who can't see the tweet, it's simply an image of a NYT tweet that shockingly gets right to the point.

That’s amazing.

Its like saying I cut my monthly car payment 50% by taking out a personal loan for half the value of the car.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

That’s amazing.

Its like saying I cut my monthly car payment 50% by taking out a personal loan for half the value of the car.

Except in that case you're still paying the full amount.
    This seems to be more like cutting your monthly car payment in 50% by stealing money from every school in the state and using that instead.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »

All it takes is one real mistake on her part. That's what they're banking on. She has any slip up of significance, and they will all pounce the fuck on that.

Because conservatives can fuck up consistently, it's baked in. Centrists too, for the most part. But a leftist shows a single opening, and they get torn down.

Except that's sort of happened before and she apologized for her misconception and everything was fine because genuine apologies actually work especially when in response to an honest mistake. As long as AOC maintains her sincerity her critics will never catch up to her because she's way smarter than all of them.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    On CHAZ, I'd say it's just a good example of maybe we shouldn't have basic law enforcement mixed with guns and that current gun culture needs to be told to fuck off and die in a fire. Plenty of countries where their police aren't armed and they don't let any brain dead idiot have a fire arm because of a poorly thought out amendment and oddly they don't seem to have the issues that we have in the US. Yes, some of that is that the US has some really shitty cultures around certain things, but I doubt we'd have a dead 16 year old if security were provided by people not wielding guns.

As for New York. Hard to say whether the cut is a nothing burger or just too damn small. It really depends on how their department of education spends that money. It's bullshit if they turn around and hire cops because we need to get cops the fuck out of our public schools. If they don't hire cops it'll be too small of cut because the NYPD gets way too much of the city budget. It'll be a billion they don't have and I seriously doubt that shit organization spends a billion on putting cops in school, so that probably comes at the expense of something else they do. Though given the stories, they really should reduce that NYPD budget by 50% and maybe that will shut down their ability to run operations outside the city.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    On CHAZ, I'd say it's just a good example of maybe we shouldn't have basic law enforcement mixed with guns and that current gun culture needs to be told to fuck off and die in a fire. Plenty of countries where their police aren't armed and they don't let any brain dead idiot have a fire arm because of a poorly thought out amendment and oddly they don't seem to have the issues that we have in the US. Yes, some of that is that the US has some really shitty cultures around certain things, but I doubt we'd have a dead 16 year old if security were provided by people not wielding guns.

As for New York. Hard to say whether the cut is a nothing burger or just too damn small. It really depends on how their department of education spends that money. It's bullshit if they turn around and hire cops because we need to get cops the fuck out of our public schools. If they don't hire cops it'll be too small of cut because the NYPD gets way too much of the city budget. It'll be a billion they don't have and I seriously doubt that shit organization spends a billion on putting cops in school, so that probably comes at the expense of something else they do. Though given the stories, they really should reduce that NYPD budget by 50% and maybe that will shut down their ability to run operations outside the city.

At the same time, if statements are to be believed, they were taking fire earlier that night. I don't have an answer here. If unarmed, they're targets. If armed, well...this happens. Fuck if I know what the right answer is.

Defund the police.

• Options
    At minimum it demonstrates intersectionality with getting rid of the 2nd amendment. But that's another thread (which historically doesn't go well).

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular

That’s amazing.

There's at least one way this could be a good thing: if it's part 1 of a plan to stealth cut the police budget. Step 1 is to move the cops in school budget from the police to the schools, then step 2 is to redirect the budget to something more useful once things quiet down. Step 1 lets people deflect criticism by saying it's not even a real cut, then step 2 doesn't even touch the police budget.

The only problem with this idea is that I don't trust de Blasio, but at least it should pave the way for his replacement to have an easier time getting police out of schools.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Mill wrote: »

At the same time, if statements are to be believed, they were taking fire earlier that night. I don't have an answer here. If unarmed, they're targets. If armed, well...this happens. Fuck if I know what the right answer is.

Defund the police.

"I was shot at earlier" is not free reign to get twitchy and light up any car. If you excuse that you're defacto excusing most police abuse. If they want to be armed they need to know how and when (and when NOT) to use the weapon.

This discussion has been closed.