As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is there anything better than democracy?

Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Is there anything better than democratically elected governments out there in the world of ideas? By "better" I mean nothing in particular. Merely the individual's appraisal that favors some entirely novel form or radical mutation of an existing system, though for the sake of discussion, an explanation would be nice.

I'm curious for a number of reasons, but I came to mulling over this subject when I was designing an advanced society for a Dungeons and Dragons campaign( :P ), and got to thinking about the vetting process for individuals in China, specifically in regards to the wisdom of their leaders.

For all its (significant) faults, for all the problems of liberty and poverty in China, one thing that they do have going for them is that their leaders are almost frighteningly intelligent. The vetting process that they undergo to rise to the top is apparently extremely effective at weeding out the dumb ones.

I compare this to more popularly elected governments, such as the United States, where politicians frequently face problems of their own deficient mental prowess, the (lack of) mental prowess of their constituents, or both. This is a relatively narrow example of a problem and a nondemocratic (and certainly not problem-free) solution, but I hope it's sufficient to get the ball rolling. One thing I see as a problem in most governments is a deficiency of reason in people. Either at the base, or at the top, or both. Other problems are a lack of liberties, both personal and financial. Maybe the answer is just "better democracy", but I'd like to try and explore that question, and challenge the popular dogma.

Is there a way to get the best of good government while eschewing the worst elements of government?

Oh, and just to get this out of the way:
It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried.

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
Loren Michael on

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The US isn't "a democracy."

I'm not sure there are any large-scale democracies in the world today. Republics, certainly.

I would think, in general, a republic is the better method, simply due to complexity and matters of mood swings, -but-, it needs an insanely well-designed, clear Constitution to hail from, about the size of a library.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2007
    The methods non-democratic governments use to hold power cancel any benefits they might have 10 times over.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    It's a representative republican democracy, not a "true" democracy, which is almost certainly for the best. Sorry for not defining my terms, but I didn't think it was necessary.

Anything better?

EDIT: Elks, I'm wondering if that wisdom might be challenged.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm kind of fond of 60s-70s sf (Ursula LeGuin, Sam Delaney, etc.) that proposed pluralist anarchist syndicates. You basically get to choose the form of society you like the most, and in some societies the only punishment for breaking the rules is exile.

I think that could work better than democracy, but it assumes, basically, nearly unlimited resources (there's no reason to invade somebody else if you have everything you need back home).

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It's a representative republican democracy, not a "true" democracy, which is almost certainly for the best. Sorry for not defining my terms, but I didn't think it was necessary.

Anything better?

In theory, yes. In practice all the alternative systems seem to go to shit fairly quickly. (Monarchies- get one or two bad rulers and you're fucked; dictatorships have that problem AND nastier succession issues, etc).

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Anything better?

In theory, yes. In practice all the alternative systems seem to go to shit fairly quickly. (Monarchies- get one or two bad rulers and you're fucked; dictatorships have that problem AND nastier succession issues, etc).

Well, even in theory, monarchies and dictatorships have significant problems, such as the ones you just noted, and a great deal more.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    In theory, a cooperative, benevolent anarchy is the best government.

You just can't have any -real- people involved, since actual people are assholes.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »

You just can't have any -real- people involved, since actual people are assholes.

I think that this is where most government systems fail, really.

When my Classics teacher gave us the thinking exercise of creating a new nation (basically a lead-in to Solon and the Athenian democratic model), my group came up with what was in essence a meritocracy. The only problem with that is who gets to decide what "best" really means.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I'm fond of the notion of ambition countering ambition, and people working against each other within government to counter our worst impulses. I think that a "best government" that doesn't involve real people isn't a "best government" at all. A "best government" has to consider problems coming from within and without.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The advantage of a democratic system is accountability to and control by the people. The disadvantage is that the people are idiots. A leader picked by a popularity contest where most of the voters can't find their ass with both hands and a map isn't going to give you much in terms of competency.

An unelected system such as the one China has has the advantage of effectively weeding out the idiots and incompetents, leaving a very intelligent and skilled governing class. The problem is lack of accountability to the people. A very intelligent, very skilled, very powerful group of people with very little oversight will become very corrupt very quickly.

Personally, I think the system Canada theoretically has would be the best. It has both. A democratically-elected House of Commons that holds most of the government's power, and an unelected Senate that works as oversight on the Commons, to make sure they don't do something stupid.

In real life though, the Canadian system is kinda rusted now. Decades of complacency brought on by the Canadian people's surprising ability to not elect idiots, the appointments to the Senate being given as reward for party loyalty rather than on competency and skill, and a general popular feeling of "why is this unelected, unqualified group given power over our government?" has left the Senate as little more than an overpaid rubber stamp for the Commons.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I'm fond of the notion of ambition countering ambition, and people working against each other within government to counter our worst impulses. I think that a "best government" that doesn't involve real people isn't a "best government" at all. A "best government" has to consider problems coming from within and without.

You mentioned Dungeons and Dragons.

Anyways, I think the primary issue is the constitution as much as the system itself

You need something iron-clad and as un-lawyer-able as possible to keep the demopublic from going to pot if the society itself ends up with an asshole majority.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Richy wrote: »
    The advantage of a democratic system is accountability to and control by the people. The disadvantage is that the people are idiots. A leader picked by a popularity contest where most of the voters can't find their ass with both hands and a map isn't going to give you much in terms of competency.

An unelected system such as the one China has has the advantage of effectively weeding out the idiots and incompetents, leaving a very intelligent and skilled governing class. The problem is lack of accountability to the people. A very intelligent, very skilled, very powerful group of people with very little oversight will become very corrupt very quickly.

Personally, I think the system Canada theoretically has would be the best. It has both. A democratically-elected House of Commons that holds most of the government's power, and an unelected Senate that works as oversight on the Commons, to make sure they don't do something stupid.

In real life though, the Canadian system is kinda rusted now. Decades of complacency brought on by the Canadian people's surprising ability to not elect idiots, the appointments to the Senate being given as reward for party loyalty rather than on competency and skill, and a general popular feeling of "why is this unelected, unqualified group given power over our government?" has left the Senate as little more than an overpaid rubber stamp for the Commons.

And I've always enjoyed the way the senate works in the United States, as it effectively counters the potential tyranny of the majority coming from the House with its own tyranny of the minority coming from the plains states.

Is it possible to have competency and accountability without relying on the populace being reasonable? Alternatively, is it possible to depersonalize politics such that it no longer becomes a popularity contest between people and starts becoming a contest between ideas?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Popularity issues might be helped by removing public appearances.

Make the buggers write their bullshit instead of announce it on TV covered in makeup and marketing advice.

Disallowing private gatherings would be a big help, too.

None of this shit where they talk to lobbyists behind closed doors and say the exact opposite to the public.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    And I've always enjoyed the way the senate works in the United States, as it effectively counters the potential tyranny of the majority coming from the House with its own tyranny of the minority coming from the plains states.
    Well, historically, but the signing statement business threatens to upset that.
    Is it possible to have competency and accountability without relying on the populace being reasonable? Alternatively, is it possible to depersonalize politics such that it no longer becomes a popularity contest between people and starts becoming a contest between ideas?
    This seems like a flawed premise to me. If the populace is not reasonable, who’s to say if the leaders are accountable or not?

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    edited May 2007

To the first question, yes. It's simple: take the populace out of the loop, or at least limit their influence. Make someone (not the populace) in charge of setting competency standards and selecting leaders based on them, and in charge of keeping these leaders accountable. Then, you'll have competency and accountability independently of the level of the population. China certainly accomplished the first one. The problem is that they didn't do the second one. It's not that their leaders are not accountable to the people, but that they are not accountable to anyone at all.

To the second question, no, and it's not necessary. First, no. If you take the "people" out of the debate and make it a debate between ideas, you'll just bore the electorate. Voter turnout is low as it is, and this measure will just kill it. But second, it's not necessary. It's possible to argue ideas as they're put forward by people. This very forum is an example: we all know the big debaters, like Shinto, ElJeffe, Elkamil, and so on, and some people even follow them around to check their latest posts in interesting debates. But we still enjoy the debates for the ideas they (and other smaller forumers) put forward, not for mindless "GO SHINTO WE'RE NUMBER 1 WOOOOO" nonesense. The fact they are known and popular individuals does not ruin the debate.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I can't remember it's name, but there is this city in the Balkans on the Adriatic. It was (possibly still is) independent for 800 or so years, and was governed more or less democratically. They had a very novel, very effective way of ensuring that their leaders were accountable and worked in the best interest of the city. When elected, you could not see or contact your family directly for your term in government. If you were found to be blatantly corrupt, your family would be punished, not you.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    I'm strangely attracted to the system in Ender's Game -- you can vote in every single little detail of legislation. If you don't want to spend all your time hooked up and voting, you can delegate your voting power to someone else, but still with the option of overriding that person on individual votes.

...or something like that, been a while since I read it.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    saggio wrote: »
    I can't remember it's name, but there is this city in the Balkans on the Adriatic. It was (possibly still is) independent for 800 or so years, and was governed more or less democratically. They had a very novel, very effective way of ensuring that their leaders were accountable and worked in the best interest of the city. When elected, you could not see or contact your family directly for your term in government. If you were found to be blatantly corrupt, your family would be punished, not you.
    Intriguing, but it seems that this has ethical issues, in that you’re disrupting the family unit and punishing possibly innocent people.

t Echo: So something like a line-by-line veto, but in the populace’s control? The problem I see with that system is that lobbyists would be able to easily storm the system—if not directly, votes could be ‘cast’ by associations for the same effect.

t Richy: Your first point is workable, provided the standards themselves are not corrupted. Regarding your second: cults of personality and the like can be avoided on a small scale like the forums, where there are perhaps one hundred people who actively follow the debates. Once the ‘population’ reaches thousands or millions, the idea of a large percentage of citizens actively participating is simply impossible to maintain.

stilist on
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Echo wrote: »
    I'm strangely attracted to the system in Ender's Game -- you can vote in every single little detail of legislation. If you don't want to spend all your time hooked up and voting, you can delegate your voting power to someone else, but still with the option of overriding that person on individual votes.

I like that - thats interesting.

How about this one (though obviously not recommending it). It's basically Jury Duty ++.

You register your expertise and qualifications, and you can be randomly called to take any job in government. Including President.

It would be great for a small, intelligent population. Not that those exist...

Lave II on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The only thing that's coming to mind here is the crazy Helios stuff from Deus Ex and its sequel, and, well, in the first game's ending it's sort of a benevolent dictatorship, only the dictator is an AI supermind or something, programmitcally (that's not a word, is it?) incapable of causing harm to humanity, and in the second ending, it's everyone's mind hooked together with crazy nanotech, which I think is a bit out of our reach.

However, by the same token, it's not unreasonable to think that systems of government can improve with the progress of technology. If nothing else, it helps to reduce voter fraud.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The only thing that's coming to mind here is the crazy Helios stuff from Deus Ex and its sequel, and, well, in the first game's ending it's sort of a benevolent dictatorship, only the dictator is an AI supermind or something, programmitcally (that's not a word, is it?) incapable of causing harm to humanity, and in the second ending, it's everyone's mind hooked together with crazy nanotech, which I think is a bit out of our reach.

However, by the same token, it's not unreasonable to think that systems of government can improve with the progress of technology. If nothing else, it helps to reduce voter fraud.
    The problem here is that the technology will be flawed, due to the people constructing it.

Unless you go with something like the Culture.

stilist on
  • Options
    AgemAgem Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

This makes it too easy for someone to just buy up votes from the huge part of the population that doesn't even give enough of a shit to vote in our current system.

Agem on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    I'm kind of fond of 60s-70s sf (Ursula LeGuin, Sam Delaney, etc.) that proposed pluralist anarchist syndicates.

The Dispossesed was certainly food for thought. Though, of course, we're too short on anarchist commies to actually try implimenting something similar, and furthermore, they corrupted eventually anyway.

MrMister on
  • Options
    Chaos TheoryChaos Theory Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm an anarcho-syndicalist, but, honestly, I'd call anarchist syndicalism democracy to the highest degree-- not representative, and built from the very foundations of society, such as the workplace. True "rule by the people."

Sometimes I think the world's headed for it, looking at the way electronics and information technology are changing society... But then you have to look at all the ways authority-based (even if "representative") governments utilize the same technology, and you wonder. Even if the world was heading for it (which I doubt), I can't say it's impossible in modern times anyway, looking at examples from history and the multitudes of anarchist philosophy out there.

I haven't read much on the pluralist form Feral mentioned, but it sounds extremely similar... Hell, I'm going to go look that up now.

Chaos Theory on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    While I'm on the subject of crazy scifi, there's the Demarchy (democratic anarchy) in Alastair Reynolds' Inhibitor books.

Everyone in the Demarchy gets fitted with a brain implant at a certain age. Votes are managed by sending them to a randomly selected group of people of a sufficient size. As they get used to it it becomes second nature to vote without really thinking about it, though demarchists are described as looking constantly absent-minded.

Eh, I'll just quote wikipedia.
    Demarchy is a term coined by Australian philosopher John Burnheim to describe a political system without the state or bureaucracies, and based instead on randomly selected groups of decision makers (sortition). These groups, sometimes termed "policy juries," "citizens' juries," or "consensus conferences" would deliberately make decisions about public policies in much the same way that juries reach verdicts on criminal cases. Demarchy attempts to achieve democratic representation without needing elections—it is "democracy without elections."

Echo on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yeah this democracy without government, where everyone is fitted with a chip in their heads to vote directly and instantly on all issues, would be great. Unfortunately, it won't be a possibility in the foreseeable future, technologically speaking. And once the technology exists, you face the problem of convincing everyone to have a chip implanted in their brains, and of abolishing the government.

EDIT:
    And you still face the problem that the result depends on the population, or in other words a stupid public will lead to stupid policies. Though I guess that, in a sci-fi scenario, we can just assume that the whole knowledge and information needed to make a smart, informed decision is downloaded in the brain through the chip.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Richy wrote: »
    Though I guess that, in a sci-fi scenario, we can just assume that the whole knowledge and information needed to make a smart, informed decision is downloaded in the brain through the chip.
    Hrm, seems to me that at that point the technology would be deciding, with the humans just acting as agents.

stilist on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Now you might shoot me down for this one, but underneath a benevolent Dictator, far more would get done for the people than with confusion and disorder created by democracy.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2007
    Truly benevolent dictators wouldn't survive for long; you need to crush dissent to keep power, if you're a dictator.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Sceptre wrote: »
    Now you might shoot me down for this one, but underneath a benevolent Dictator, far more would get done for the people than with confusion and disorder created by democracy.

Having the government do more often isn't a good thing.

Savant on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »
    Truly benevolent dictators wouldn't survive for long; you need to crush dissent to keep power, if you're a dictator.
    Besides, what happens when the good one is deposed or dies?

stilist on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    As far as I'm concerned "benevolent dictator" is an oxymoron, perpetuated by the eagerness of some in freedom-minded governments to deal with dictators. If you're truly loved by your people, why not hold elections?

Chaos Theory on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    As far as I'm concerned "benevolent dictator" is an oxymoron, perpetuated by the eagerness of some in freedom-minded governments to deal with dictators. If you're truly loved by your people, why not hold elections?

Devil's Advocate: because what's best for the people often isn't what they want. Obvious example: taxes.

Anyway, I had an excellent idea for an addition to a republic / democracy: anybody running for (or holding) a high-profile elected office forfeits all rights to privacy, and has all their actions recorded every moment of every day. Bill it as "reality television" and run a few television stations dedicated to it. To increase ratings, enforce monthly karaoke competitions. The masses will gobble it up.

Garthor on
  • Options
    NewresNewres Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Agem wrote: »

This makes it too easy for someone to just buy up votes from the huge part of the population that doesn't even give enough of a shit to vote in our current system.

Ain't that much of a problem IF they retain the abiltiy to redelegate and override the votes.

The best part of a democracy is not electing the best person for the job (which it does not do because it is just a giant popularity contest), but that it gives an orderly and guaranteed way for voters to remove the persons in charge if they choose to.

Newres on
    960751-1.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Garthor wrote: »

Devil's Advocate: because what's best for the people often isn't what they want. Obvious example: taxes.

Anyway, I had an excellent idea for an addition to a republic / democracy: anybody running for (or holding) a high-profile elected office forfeits all rights to privacy, and has all their actions recorded every moment of every day. Bill it as "reality television" and run a few television stations dedicated to it. To increase ratings, enforce monthly karaoke competitions. The masses will gobble it up.

All putting cameras on politicians would do is generate 8 hours a day of wholesome footage of them eating nice homecooked meals over a family dinner table and playing football with their beautiful white protestant kids like Ward Cleaver, because they'd be too frightened of scandals to do any of the things that real human beings do. I don't give a fuck what politicians do in their private lives. Fuck an intern. Fuck 20 interns. Fuck a goat for all I care. (By the way, did I mention that Monicagate was the lamest scandal evar? Whoo, the President fucked a BBW - who gives a shit?)

Naw, if we're going to institute drastic measures to ensure governmental accountability, I'd start with the voters. I'd just beat every stupid person who votes without knowing the issues over the skull with a wet gym sock until they start using the limp and flabby organ contained therein.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Education is essential to healthy democracy. If we want a better democracy, we should start there. Maybe eventually we can cut the representative out of the equation.

Anyway, as far as the "what's best for people isn't necessarily what they want" argument, I'd say education is the force that synthesizes what people want and what is best for them. The taxes example is a tad lost on me, though, as (as I mentioned earlier) I'm an anarchist. :P

Chaos Theory on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hesthefastesthesthefastest Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    How bout the Ender model. Identify the truly gifted genius children and have them run simulations in preparation to rule actual countries, only these simulations are the real thing.

hesthefastest on
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Education is essential to healthy democracy. If we want a better democracy, we should start there. Maybe eventually we can cut the representative out of the equation.

Anyway, as far as the "what's best for people isn't necessarily what they want" argument, I'd say education is the force that synthesizes what people want and what is best for them. The taxes example is a tad lost on me, though, as (as I mentioned earlier) I'm an anarchist. :P
    Its a big part of why Latin America is so screwed up right now.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I remember in a sci-fi book I read something like demarchy, except that the offices of the state were run with randomly selected people, so it's a bit like jury duty except that it's in the government. Of course, the problem with that is that you might get a run of clueless people in the offices. I also wonder if the book meant that offices were something like the house of representatives where they voted about everything, or if they were something like the roles in the cabinet where people are entirely devoted to a subject like internal affairs or justice. In the latter instance, I'd imagine that it would be nice to have an option to state which cabinet position you'd want to be in the pool for, as I would be an utterly horrible economic minister.

I have to wonder in the mass scale whether it's really possible to get people excited about democracies. The thing is, my vote in the national elections in Canada will never ever have an effect in determining who becomes prime minister. Whether I vote or sit at home, quite unlikely that I'll ever determine the outcome, because elections are rarely determined by just my vote.

Corlis on
    But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    How bout the Ender model. Identify the truly gifted genius children and have them run simulations in preparation to rule actual countries, only these simulations are the real thing.

Right, now all we need is a massive alien invasion to get the world to agree with this.
    I'sm sorry, but I don't think that world governments fall under a reasonable government.

Picardathon on