As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tabletop Games are RADch

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    Sleep wrote: »
    If you've got access to the seeker class they are a controller/striker that you can build on throwing spears quite well.

I've never heard anything good about Seekers, have you actually played one?

Yeah can't remember the build I was pulling at the time but it's one of the only times I've had to rebuild a character cause I'd figured out some cheese that regularly put me at the top of the damage stack over the strikers. There's basically one awesome build in seeker but I can't remember it right now without a character builder in front of me.

Interesting, do you remember the party make up? And you said this was with throwing?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Honestly I can't 100% remember I think it worked for bows or thrown.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    So I just got done running my Mage session for tonight, and the PC Ember set a record I don’t think I’ll see beat in terms of raw damage, using Time Magic and Force magic, she managed to do 1.3 million bashing damage using the crash rules.

She only didn’t die because of Fate magic.

never die on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    never die wrote: »
    So I just got done running my Mage session for tonight, and the PC Ember set a record I don’t think I’ll see beat in terms of raw damage, using Time Magic and Force magic, she managed to do 1.3 million bashing damage using the crash rules.

What did she do? Cast Meteor?

...how did anything else survive anywhere nearby?

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    It feels like everything you've got so far is body horror stuff. Which, like, sure that's effective, but too much of any one thing can desensitize, or be too much, or both. Is there a reason why these hallucinations are occurring?

If it's just general cave madness or whatever, do some stuff a bit vague, like... shadows on the walls cast by the party's light sources growing into strange shapes or even a sort of tableau depicting some sort of monster combating the party's shadows.

Have parts of the underground echo strangely, where it sounds like their voice, but in a different language. Or it is echoing, until someone makes TOO loud a noise. Then suddenly the sounds are all dulled, no more echoing.

The specific reason I started brainstorming ideas was because I'm going to have some meenlocks show up, and their whole thing is to cause frightening hallucinations ranging from creepy to intense enough to trigger the frightened condition. I would like to incorporate some creepy atmosphere in general, though.

I just lookee back at my earlier post. I didn't realize just how much body horror stuff I wrote. Guess that'll happen when you're a fan of both Junji Ito and Franken Fran.

Some creepy hallucination things, with a minimal amount of body horror.
    The character turns and finds themselves in a massive ball room. Around them 153 dancers in fine dress dance in intricate patterns perfectly in time to music that cannot be heard and a masked noble woman sits in a throne at the far end of the room.
    Okay, a little body horror
    The character realizes that none of the dancers have faces, just smooth flesh where their faces should be, upon this realization, the noble woman removes her mask revealing a similarly blank face, presses a finger against where her lips would be in the universal "Shhhh!" symbol. Then the room dissolves around the player who finds themselves back with the party.

The PC enters a room, despite feeling solid the floor appears to be the starry sky with a full moon. Looking at the ceiling shows rows of gravesites around a twisted, gnarled tree. A lone, ancient grave keeper walks slowly between the headstones placing fresh flowers. The PC is not acknowledged and any attempt at interacting dispels the illusion.

The room rotates around the PC. They remain perfectly still, but the walls appear to twist and warp around them.(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinning_tunnel). Any other party members appear to rotate with the walls.

The PC sees numerous children playing near a hazard, maybe a pit or some kind of environment appropriate monster. Approaching the children causes them to turn towards the PC simultaneously and whisper "You should never have come" and then crumble to dust. The hazard is real.

The PC finds a field of mushrooms. They're small, barely reaching two inches in height, bright red caps with radiating black stripes forming a star pattern. Attempting to get a closer look at the mushrooms causes them to sprout spider legs and move away from the PC.

A roper attacks! Four flailing tentacles uncoil from what appeared to be a stalagmite and reach towards the party! Roll initiative. First attack reveals that it actually is just a stalagmite.

A PCs lightsource or an errant hand on the cave wall disrupts a nest of spiderlings. Thousands of tiny spiders pour down like dust, finding their way through any openings in their armor or clothes and crawling all over. Removing the armor and inspecting reveals no sign of the spiders. (look up daddy long leg nest for a visual)

PC hears the sound of dice rolling in the distance.

Echoing whispers from behind in a language that none of the party speaks. The voices are quite and anxious, and it sounds like they're plotting something.

Echoing sounds of heavy armor and a large bladed weapon being dragged along the stone floor.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

What did she do? Cast Meteor?

...how did anything else survive anywhere nearby?

Time Magic Temporal pocket, where she could cast spells on herself without time actually casting. Then Veil of moments, so she could be in there for “days” without needing to eat or sleep. She had been buffed by the Acanthus PC Paig for both bonus dice to spellcasting rolls and for the boon Charmed.

She then cast the time spell Acceleration, which multiplies speed by potency. She got her speed up to 200 doing this. Then she used velocity control to double her total speed for each rank in potency (so 200 became 400 at potency 1, 800 at potency 2, and so on). She managed to cast that at potency 16, which as she was ritually casting, was obtainable (she is at Gnosis 6). That got her speed up to 13,107,200. (Re-reading the spell stacking rules, this could be ruled as not being allowed, as they affect the same aspect of the character it of felt ambiguous to me in this instance so I allowed it.)

She then hurled her body at the enemy like a bullet. Now the crashing rules in the Chronicles of Darkness rulebook state that when two objects of relative equal size (half the size difference or less) collide, both objects take 1/10 of the speed as bashing damage. Normally if one person runs into another person, that’s not too bad. However, at the speed she was moving, not so much. So 1.3 million bashing damage was done to her and the enemy.

Now, she had the Charmed boon in her. One of the options when using that boon is to spend it to reduce all damage taken to 1 of the damage that should have been taken. So she was mostly unscathed

Now as for everything else nearby surviving, she did it in the astral plane, so no one else was nearby to take the damage.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Oh. Man.

Trying that in Ascension would be a sure-fire way for a friendly Paradox spirit to stop by and be all

"So uh, this thing you're abusing Time to do? Are you really, really sure you want to do it this way? Like, super serious? Here let me rewind time here a bit so you can reconsider this."

• Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    She then hurled her body at the enemy like a bullet. Now the crashing rules in the Chronicles of Darkness rulebook state that when two objects of relative equal size (half the size difference or less) collide, both objects take 1/10 of the speed as bashing damage. Normally if one person runs into another person, that’s not too bad. However, at the speed she was moving, not so much. So 1.3 million bashing damage was done to her and the enemy.

I got to here before I realised what she'd be using Charmed for then I cackled. Good call on your part to just let it happen, Adepts can already break the ChroD system over their knee so you might as well follow the logic of the shakier parts of the system.

"Behold, the awesome fires of God. The limitless powers of pure creation itself... ...Observe how it used for the same purpose a man might use an especially sharp rock."

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    @see317 I love this one: "The PC sees numerous children playing near a hazard, maybe a pit or some kind of environment appropriate monster. Approaching the children causes them to turn towards the PC simultaneously and whisper "You should never have come" and then crumble to dust. The hazard is real"

You could build a whole campaign starting right there, well done

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Polaritie wrote: »

The crashing rules in CoD are fun and criminally underused. I remember a few years ago I tried doing Legacies for all the Immortal Weapons and the big one for the Iron Fist was a kick that...
    "The effects of this Attainment are resolved like a vehicle crash. If the Iron Fist successfully hits the target treat the effect like a size 15 vehicle hitting them while going the Iron Fist’s Prime*10 miles per hour. Use the Iron Fist’s Brawl in place of Drive where necessary."
    With an additional effect to reduce the return damage.

I really miss playing Mage.

MechMantis wrote: »
    Oh. Man.

Trying that in Ascension would be a sure-fire way for a friendly Paradox spirit to stop by and be all

"So uh, this thing you're abusing Time to do? Are you really, really sure you want to do it this way? Like, super serious? Here let me rewind time here a bit so you can reconsider this."

In the CoD this happening in the Astral pretty much makes Paradox a nonissue unless it happens in one of the specific areas of it where Paradox does happen.

Gokerz on
    causality.png
  • Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Yeah, Awakening doesn't care as much about finagling over whether something is defying the laws of physics or whatever, it's about whether your reach exceeds your grasp. Given this wizard was Gnosis 6 and could take their time ritual casting, I doubt there was much call for reaching rather than just pumping up Factors with their ridiculous dice pool.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I've decided to embrace 3E template weirdness and am now in the process of statting-up a half-dragon drider vampire warlock for 5E.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Ah, yes, in my Mage: The Ascension game tonight, one of my players uttered possibly the absolute most Magey quote that exemplifies how Mages look at everything.

When speaking to a Wraith that's trying to figure out why an Obol has been in the Skinlands for like, 40 years, one of my players asked the Wraith:

"How do you know what a .22 pistol is but not what an Avatar is?"

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular

I formally request that her last action of the campaign be to flex her Time powers, reset the campaign to the day it started, and steal your storyteller seat.

"Round two bitches!"

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I've decided to embrace 3E template weirdness and am now in the process of statting-up a half-dragon drider vampire warlock for 5E.

Update: I ended up with something that is absolutely hellacious. I might need to tone her down a bit.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I really had a desire to go read my VtR books while I at work yesterday but they are in a large pile I do need to get a bookcase or such for come the spring
    When I got the box of Hunter books both Vigil and Reckoning it was at a bookstore that did comissions/ lot sales they had a various boxes filled with white wolf books but you could only buy one so I bought the hunter box as it had both mirrors and innocents and the mage one was two large boxes for $400

as a side I was looking up various things earlier tonight when one of the suggested searches was the WWE TLC smackdown and my mind went to Wresters taking on the stars of TLC and I felt there was nothing wrong with this

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    The bundle of holding this week is Blades in the Dark+Additional Forged in the Dark stuff. $13 for the Blades pdf plus some extras is good. $25 for that plus 3 of the better/more prominent hacks of it is really great. Scum and Villainy is Blades but Star Wars, Band of Blades is Blades+ Glen Cook. I didn't care for Hack the Planet, but you might. Haven't tried A Fistful of Darkness or Glow in the Dark.
    https://bundleofholding.com/presents/Blades2020

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    got the pdfs from the Fragged Cyberpunk kickstarter

i'm mostly really interested in the art and stories more than the game systems itself, but it looks kinda neat

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Scum and Villainy is more Cowboy Bebop or Firefly than Star Wars

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Scum and Villainy is more Cowboy Bebop or Firefly than Star Wars

It's both. There's your choice of three ships, instead of choosing a gang type. The three ships are basically 'Firefly', 'Cowboy Bebop', and 'Star Wars'.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    How could I NOT get that bundle? Blades is so damn good. Maybe one day I'll get to actually run more than a one shot. :pop:

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    I guess the rebel ship type could sort of map to Star Wars thematically, but I get such a different feel from Star Wars even if the protagonists are rebel insurgents

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »

i'm mostly really interested in the art and stories more than the game systems itself, but it looks kinda neat

turns out the nickname for the cops in this universe is the Doms

• Options

turns out the nickname for the cops in this universe is the Doms

They live their lives a quarter mile at a time

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Really because of the suggested look up the wwe tlc smackdown made me think of the TLC people vs wrestlers I thought of scenarios of how it would go down
    Like the TLC people not knowing the decorum of the taunt saying things like I catfished you with your own daughter or things like a wrestler busting through a wall saying the mere presence of them brings down the intrinsic value of the neighborhood
    It would be something like upscaled backyard wrestling but demoing the house is not off the table

I was thinking of characters but one name stuck out to me Fur Coat Rhonda is not really a wrestler name maybe a pimp but more likely a name of a post apoc warlord ruling though shear personality alone
    There is far more but this was how I kept sane at work last night

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Really because of the suggested look up the wwe tlc smackdown made me think of the TLC people vs wrestlers I thought of scenarios of how it would go down
    Like the TLC people not knowing the decorum of the taunt saying things like I catfished you with your own daughter or things like a wrestler busting through a wall saying the mere presence of them brings down the intrinsic value of the neighborhood
    It would be something like upscaled backyard wrestling but demoing the house is not off the table

I was thinking of characters but one name stuck out to me Fur Coat Rhonda is not really a wrestler name maybe a pimp but more likely a name of a post apoc warlord ruling though shear personality alone

I feel like you need a run in from the R&B TLC at some point

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular

For some reason this made me laugh harder than anything else I've read all week :biggrin:

• Options
    Ringo wrote: »

I feel like you need a run in from the R&B TLC at some point

What's that
    ngpw5gxu02q9.jpg

• Options
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    I read the first half of Agon last night. This is how more RPG books should be. System that has just enough rule heft, with rules for different phases of the game. A strong theme or genre to start. Some pre-built scenarios. Ideas to expand the setting. I want to run exactly one campaign of this, maybe 6-10 sessions. Then I can pass it to someone else, or change the setting or put it down and play it again years later or with a different group. Apparently the author has already released two more playsets. One is cold war spies, and one is Battlestar-style spacefighter pilots.

• Options
    I see the Savage Rifts bundle on Bundle of Holding. Has anyone read or played it?

It looks like I'd need to grab the Savage Worlds Adventure edition corebook to go along with it. Has anyone read or played that?

• Options
    Savage Worlds is aggressively Fine

It's a functional system whose goal is to allow literally any kind of genre play within it, so by design I find it a bit unimaginative

• Options
    The only thing I don't like about Savage Worlds is when the games start characters below 'seasoned' because you don't get enough stuff to really flesh out your character mechanically

Haven't played Savage Rifts. @OptimusZed is one of our local Rifts experts, Savage or otherwise

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Zed hasn't been around since last February :bigfrown:

I hope he's doing okay

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    He's fine, just doing stuff else-wise.

Savage RIFTs takes the interesting, not crappy parts of RIFTs and puts it into a playable system. Worth taking a look if you want to do something in that setting, but really didn't want to have to crunch the numbers to do it.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    I read the first half of Agon last night. This is how more RPG books should be. System that has just enough rule heft, with rules for different phases of the game. A strong theme or genre to start. Some pre-built scenarios. Ideas to expand the setting. I want to run exactly one campaign of this, maybe 6-10 sessions. Then I can pass it to someone else, or change the setting or put it down and play it again years later or with a different group. Apparently the author has already released two more playsets. One is cold war spies, and one is Battlestar-style spacefighter pilots.

Yeah I really like how Agon turned out. It's a wild change from being familiar with the first edition, which is honestly one of the more fiddly games on my shelf.

My personal dream is to run a rotating GM game of it, especially if you're just using the prewritten islands (which are great prewritten material, honestly, and there's already tons of additional ones out there so you would never run out). It could be easy to drop in and drop out of it, just like, every week is a different island and the heroes who debarked there.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular

I feel like this is a campaign @Dex Dynamo and @hailtothekale could co-author.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I wanted to get some folks feelings on an aspect of world building.

I've started the loose stage of world building for a campaign setting for Pathfinder 1E, which is to say I have just been thinking things over. Nothing has been put to pen. I have a focal-point for the setting and been building off of that.

But onto the inquiry.

A game like Pathfinder has the Samurai & Ninja classes, in addition to a great deal of "Far East" material. How do you incorporate that type of mechanical material into your homebrew campaign settings without just establishing a faux-Asia?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I wanted to get some folks feelings on an aspect of world building.

I've started the loose stage of world building for a campaign setting for Pathfinder 1E, which is to say I have just been thinking things over. Nothing has been put to pen. I have a focal-point for the setting and been building off of that.

But onto the inquiry.

A game like Pathfinder has the Samurai & Ninja classes, in addition to a great deal of "Far East" material. How do you incorporate that type of mechanical material into your homebrew campaign settings without just establishing a faux-Asia?

In the broadest of gameplay strokes the Samurai is a type of Paladin and the Ninja is a type of Rogue. Beyond the cultural aspects what mechanically makes them interesting. It should be easy enough to drape fluff on top of that mechanical framework once the problematic cultural elements have been excised.

Pretty much you're going to be pulling a Magnificent Seven here and looking at the themes and feelings these characters create when played, and moving those over.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    captaink wrote: »

Yeah I really like how Agon turned out. It's a wild change from being familiar with the first edition, which is honestly one of the more fiddly games on my shelf.

My personal dream is to run a rotating GM game of it, especially if you're just using the prewritten islands (which are great prewritten material, honestly, and there's already tons of additional ones out there so you would never run out). It could be easy to drop in and drop out of it, just like, every week is a different island and the heroes who debarked there.

My group’s short Agon campaign was a blast. As a GM, I found it relaxing and fun to run. My players loved to narrate their contests and fiddle with the resource crunch on their sheets. Good Roll20 sheets too — I think without the roll macros, the heterogeneous dice pools would be awkward to manage in an online setting.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
This discussion has been closed.