[D&D-5E] Eberron: Shadows of the Last War

1161719212225

Posts

  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Faber discerns that the rods will serve as an activation device to unlock the forge & furnace.

    But with no clearly labeled instructions, he is left wondering: in what order are they to be inserted?

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited August 23
    Owenn, having regained his breath after struggling with the debris, joined Faber at the forge. He looked at the three geometric slots in front of them, then at the three matching rods in the cleric’s hands. “Oh yeah. I had one of these as a kid. What are you thinking for order? Three, four, five?” The halfling gestured vaguely at the rods to indicate the number of sides.

    Sneaks on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    "That was my initial thought as well." Faber concurs. "It seems logical, but, almost too easy. You know? Do we want to go ahead and start plugging them in? By my figuring, there's only a half dozen orders they can be inserted in, assuming of course that they are to be inserted one at a time. The number climbs considerably if we might be expected to insert more than one at a time, or if only two are needed, and exponentially if we consider that they may each have a specific depth they're to be inserted in..."
    But, Lord Occam's Razor and all that...
    "Friends, keep you attention up, I'm not sure what, if anything, this is going to do..."

    Faber inserts the crystals into their corresponding depressions: Triangle, Rectangle, Pentagon, and waits to see what happens.

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    As Faber slowly inserts each rod, a cold popping sound can be heard deep within the furnace & forge.

    Once all three activation rods are placed in the proper order, the forge and furnace releases a harmless gust of cold, compressed air and opens to reveal its belly, a hidden vault.

    Within the hidden vault lies a sack of 100 ancient sp, sack of 100 ancient gp, 4 gold ingots (each worth 50 gp), 3 Potions of (Greater) Cure Wounds, 1 Potion of Heroism, an old map, and the schema.

    The old map shows a number of cryptic symbols spread throughout what appears to be ancient depictions of the territory now divided between the Mournland and Darguun.

    The schema itself appears as an adamantine plate shaped into a seven-pointed star. It is slightly more than six inches long from point to point, and is covered with strange engraved patterns. It radiates a strong aura of transmutation magic, but it has no apparent magical abilities of its own.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    CelloSneaks
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 24
    OoC:While everyone is looking elsewhere, Faber grabs the sack of gold.
    Kidding.

    Faber calls to the party, "The forge opened and the schema was inside.
    Mission accomplished, we just have to make it back to the dropoff, get paid, and find out what else can go wrong today."

    see317 on
    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
    Cello
  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited August 24
    Owenn heaved a sigh of relief. Not that things couldn’t still go wrong, of course, but… Well, now at least they were halfway home. He picked up the map and examined it. “This refers to a set of locations in what used to be Cyre…” Owenn looked at the schema in Faber’s hands, looking for any commonalities in the markings. “And while a lot of things were lost on the Day of Mourning, I would be very, very happy if our resident expert—” he looked squarely at Faber. “—could tell us what the part this schema details is for, before we hand it off to a woman whose reference I haven’t heard from yet.”

    Sneaks on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Faber takes the schema back to the ritual circle he had prepared earlier, turning it in his hands and trying to divine it's entire purpose before performing the identification ritual again.

    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for an arcana check

    an arcana check:
    1d20+3 20 [1d20=17]

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Inspecting the schema, Faber's ritual Identify tells him that it is a piece of a larger relic designed to make a greater whole. While some schema are modern and applied in the mass creation of mundane magic items, this particular schema piece is far older.

    Faber detects its origin is from the mysterious continent of Xen'drik, discovered by Kedran d'Cannith shortly before the start of the War of the Mark, some fifteen hundred years ago.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler Registered User regular
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    "Yeah, it's what we came for. I've tried everything I can to figure it out, but all I can tell about its purpose is that it is only a single part of a greater whole, no way to figure out what that greater whole is intended for. Other than that, I know it's old. Really old. Pre-dating The War of the Mark old.

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited August 24
    None of this laid Owenn fears to rest. But in the absence of any more concrete information, the halfling saw little choice but to continue as planned. He stashed the map as carefully as possible, then turned his attention to the more… conventional loot. “Gator: come get some of this,” he said, taking the sack of silver pieces and one of the ingots. “We shouldn’t put all these eggs in one basket should anything go wrong on the way out. We can divide it more fairly between the five of us and the business once we’re home.” Having administered his potion from the healing font to Faber, Owenn also picked up one of the Greater Cure Wounds potions.

    Sneaks on
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler Registered User regular
    With a nod, Gator collected a share of the loot. "So we just take this back, and that's it?"

  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    "There's also a stack of magical equipment that hasn't been claimed. I've got the shield, but if there's anything else we can use, we should use it. Anything else we can carry should be carried. I have to imagine that, in a city with as many adventurers as ours, magical gear should fetch a fair amount when resold.

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I'll ask that everyone be very explicit about what treasure/loot your character is personally hauling out of the foundry.

    It'll help later on when one of you fails at climbing back up the tunnel entrance and falls to your death.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    JPantsjdarksunSneaksCello
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    OOC: The sax is probably most relevant to Pierce; otherwise, I'm open to whichever equipment and sharing the load of items however we want. I don't think Pierce is smart enough to calculate out the logistics of how much she should carry to share the burdens with the others, haha.

    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited August 25
    OOC: The sacks of coins should only be a couple pounds apiece. I figured that three of us who haven’t taken an ingot already could grab one of those (about five pounds each?). Owenn has taken:

    • 1 potion of greater healing (0.5 lbs.)
    • 1 bag of 100 silver pieces (2.5 lbs.)
    • 1 gold ingot (5 lbs.)
    • 1 set of jeweler’s tools (2 lbs.)
    • 1 set of alchemist’s tools (8 lbs.)
    • 1 map (negligible)

    Owenn could easily be talked into abandoning the alchemist’s tools in favor of something else—like the one of the magic items—but he’s already proven himself to be the worst climber here and wouldn’t be naturally comfortable carrying more than an extra 20 lbs. (even though his carrying capacity is actually 120 lbs.)

    Sneaks on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Faber approaches the collected piles of loot.
    He's already got the enigmatic schema packed safely in his pack wrapped in a heavy oilcloth for protection, he sets the the breastplate of the lion in his pack in such a way as to wrap around the schema, providing it as much protection as possible, and nestles the bag of gold coins into the spare space next to the schema. He then lashes the heavy crossbow of pyrotechnics securely to the outside of the bag, to insure it doesn't shift in motion. Finally he grabs one of the remaining potions of healing, pauses briefly over the pile of treasure, and picks up the potion of heroism as well.

    "The remaining equipment didn't have any particular enchantments that I could determine... It'd still be worth a good handful of coin, but I doubt that would balance the weight of them on the climb up."
    There is one other matter we should look into... Did anyone see where Zedaar disappeared to? Seemed to vanish without a trace..."

    OoC: I've got a 14 strength, so my carry weight is 210.
    And not sure how we're playing Tox leaving. If we want to do something in game or just let him vanish into thin air, or maybe die heroically covering our escape from this nightmare chamber of acid rats and flesh eating beetles.

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    And not sure how we're playing Tox leaving. If we want to do something in game or just let him vanish into thin air, or maybe die heroically covering our escape from this nightmare chamber of acid rats and flesh eating beetles.

    Don't you worry for now.

    This story will continue to unwrap itself.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    My preference would be for Zed to have never existed, and just retcon that it was always just the five of you (or six, if someone else joins, or whichever).

    BattleTech KS Thread! | Mech Trade List | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    While I can perhaps understand the desire for a full retcon, we're going to move forward with Zed having always been with the group (and still being down in the ruined tower with you folks).

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    So, I think equipment is all squared away, what are you folks going to do next?

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    OOC: remind me, Zonny, what are the currently available exits?

    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    OOC: remind me, Zonny, what are the currently available exits?

    Climbing out of the foundry via the rope attached to the chimney pipe on top of the roof.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Cello
  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited August 26
    “Gator, I think you should go first,” Owenn said. “If there really is something waiting for us out there, you’re the one of us with the best chance of seeing it without it seeing you.”

    Sneaks on
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler Registered User regular
    Gator nodded, and climbed up the rope as quietly as they could. Once back on the roof, the shifter crept to the edge to take a look at whatever was making noise outside...

    OOC: Is a roll needed to climb a rope if we have something to brace against (like the chimney)? Best I could figure it's double movement if not in combat.

    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Perception
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Stealth

    Perception:
    1d20+5 24 [1d20=19]
    Stealth:
    1d20+5 14 [1d20=9]

  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler Registered User regular
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    OOC: Is a roll needed to climb a rope if we have something to brace against (like the chimney)? Best I could figure it's double movement if not in combat.

    No roll needed at the moment.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    Pierce elects to wait at the bottom of the rope and climb up last - as eager as she is to meet potential fans, she decides it is best to be prepared for any future falls, just in case

    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    Sneaks
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    As Gator climbs up out of the foundry, an uncomfortable silence blankets the scene. With quiet steps, Gator begins to survey the scene but there's no need for the Shifter's impeccable senses. There's no subtlety that follows a flaming crossbow bolt shot remarkably close towards the Ranger's head, from the rubble surrounding the large stone column. “Weak flesh!” a powerful voice calls out from that direction. “Hark! This here looks like another pathetic explorer. Let me introduce myself. Saber, greatest of the devoted followers of the Lord of Blades! And I have but one simple proposition, throw down the schema and walk away! This day does not have to end with your disgusting blood on my hands.”

    NOcGUOR.png

    Fitted with a strong shield, a sturdy blade at his side, a heavy crossbow in his hands, and dark goggles across his eyes, this agent of the Lord of Blades is commanding and fierce.

    Next to him, on his knees, sits Zedaar, bloodied. Saber rises his heavy crossbow and uses it to strike the back of the Dragonborn's head, knocking him unconscious.

    "There has been too much violence, too much pain. None here are without sin, but I have an honorable compromise. Just walk away. Leave the schema, the relic, the artifact, and the whole foundry, and I spare your lives. Just walk away. I will give you safe passage back to the hellscape of your lives. Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror. I await your answer. You have one full minute to decide."

    TF0E96U.png

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Faber whispers to Pierce "Artifact? I think he means your new sax"

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
    CelloZonugal
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Faber will start up the rope next.
    Faber prepares to cast Sacred Flame on Saber, should Saber approach within range. (1d8 Radiant vs. Dex 13)

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited August 27
    Owenn gripped the rope once Faber’s weight was off of it. “Shame we didn’t have the means to make a counterfeit schema down here,” he muttered to himself as he climbed. That would’ve made this easy. Still, there might be an opportunity here…

    Owenn stayed low to the roof as he emerged (making sure to kick the rope clear of his feet for Pierce’s ascent), hoping to avoid the notice of the Lord of Blades’ latest agent.

    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Stealth

    “Tell him you need to know what it’s for before you’ll deal!” the halfling hissed to Gator and Faber. ‘Everyone who wants this thing so damn badly must know something we don’t!’

    Stealth:
    1d20+5 20 [1d20=15]

    Sneaks on
    Cello
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    By the way, who is utilizing a torch/lantern at the moment?

    Being cognizant of lighting is still important in this environment.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus What a wonderful harvest.Registered User regular
    OoC: John's got darkvision, so no torch needed.

  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited August 27
    OOC: Zed had Owenn’s lantern, but Owenn doesn’t—this second, anyway—particularly care about seeing the enemy as long as he remains unseen himself.

    Sneaks on
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    OOC: would Pierce's blade still be glowing? Presumably it will be sheathed until she gets to the top anyway.

    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    OOC: would Pierce's blade still be glowing? Presumably it will be sheathed until she gets to the top anyway.

    The Light cantrip has a duration of an hour.

    But here's the interesting part...

    @see317, you cast Identify as a ritual a couple times right? How many times? Because each individual ritual Identify would have taken 10 minutes.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler Registered User regular
    "You say none here are without sin, but you're the one shooting crossbow bolts without warning and bludgeoning helpless dragonborn," Gator shouted from the roof. "You and your companions strike from the shadows, not seeking to talk but to kill. You want this thing? Tell me why. What's it for, why do you want it?"

    OOC: Gator has darkvision. Is there any cover on the roof of this building?

    Cello
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Cello wrote: »
    OOC: would Pierce's blade still be glowing? Presumably it will be sheathed until she gets to the top anyway.
    The Light cantrip has a duration of an hour.
    But here's the interesting part...
    see317, you cast Identify as a ritual a couple times right? How many times? Because each individual ritual Identify would have taken 10 minutes.

    Yes I did. Between that, the fight and exploring the forge, I think it's safe to assume that any spells would likely have worn off by this point.

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    OOC: Gator has darkvision. Is there any cover on the roof of this building?

    Not really, but because of its height in relation to where Saber is, the farther backwards (east on the map) you go, the harder it would be for him to see you.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
Sign In or Register to comment.