[D&D-5E] Eberron: Shadows of the Last War

1171820222325

Posts

  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited August 27
    jdarksun wrote: »
    "You say none here are without sin, but you're the one shooting crossbow bolts without warning and bludgeoning helpless dragonborn," Gator shouted from the roof. "You and your companions strike from the shadows, not seeking to talk but to kill. You want this thing? Tell me why. What's it for, why do you want it?"

    "Oh, our intentions? We seek the schema to add it to our quaint museum of magical delights! Is that a good enough fabrication for you? Does that sate your hope for a 'justified reason' in this unreasonable situation? Aye, mongrel???"

    Saber then laughs.

    "Thirty seconds."

    Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited August 27
    “Well, it was worth a shot.” The eye-rolling was audible in Owenn’s whisper. “Okay… I don’t know what this guy actually wants to give us a minute for, but it’s definitely not about letting anybody go. I’d say just shoot him from up here, but someone needs to get to Zed, which means we need to draw him away.” Owenn dug a torch out of his pack, but didn’t light it. Yet.

    Sneaks on
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler Registered User regular
    "Mongrel, eh?" Gator muttered to themselves. Then, loud enough for the belligerent Saber to hear: "All right, all right. Calm down, I'm coming. Give me a minute, it's difficult for us mongrels to climb down ropes." The shifter turned their attention to Owenn. "It's a trade then. Just like that time with the city watch - remember our dear friend Logan? That ledger would have put him away for good..." Gator trailed off, leaving the rest unsaid. If it had been real.

    "Hand me the schema, I'll bring it to the hostage-taker."

    OOC: Gator does not want the real schema, a similarly sized brick in a sack will do. Do I need to roll anything to get down?

    Sneaks
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    Pierce gestures towards the rope while looking at John and says, "so, onwards and upwards then?"

    "Oh, and if they ask, I shall not be surrendering this artifact. I am already composing a ballad of our heroic deeds, and the solo must be performed with it! It just won't sound as good on the triangle."

    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited August 27
    jdarksun wrote: »
    "Mongrel, eh?" Gator muttered to themselves. Then, loud enough for the belligerent Saber to hear: "All right, all right. Calm down, I'm coming. Give me a minute, it's difficult for us mongrels to climb down ropes." The shifter turned their attention to Owenn. "It's a trade then. Just like that time with the city watch - remember our dear friend Logan? That ledger would have put him away for good..." Gator trailed off, leaving the rest unsaid. If it had been real.

    "Hand me the schema, I'll bring it to the hostage-taker."

    “Ah, Logan,” Owenn sighed wistfully. “He’d have hated this place.” Then, not bothering to subdue or exaggerate his natural speaking voice, said, “Okay, okay, let me dig it out…” He got to his knees and lit his torch, casting about for a piece of roof rubble roughly symmetrical and vaguely six inches in diameter, making sure to stay low enough to the roof that—though the torch light would obviously be visible—anyone below wouldn’t have a clear line of sight on what Owenn was doing.

    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Perception

    Deception Command: If Owenn finds a suitable rock within five seconds, he’ll wrap it in his cloak and hand it off to Gator.

    Backup Deception Command: If Owenn doesn’t find a rock that’s right for the part, he’ll cast his tinderbox as the schema, because it’s round, metal, small, and already at hand. (And climbing pitons wedged under the lid could give the illusion of points, if @Zonugal believes that could be set up in no more than, say, six seconds.) Then, he'll wrap it in his cloak and hand it to Gator.

    Perception:
    1d20+5 15 [1d20=10]

    Sneaks on
    jdarksun
  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    And in either case:

    Geth roll 1d20+7 Deception

    Deception:
    1d20+7 24 [1d20=17]

    jdarksun
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    OOC: Gator does not want the real schema, a similarly sized brick in a sack will do. Do I need to roll anything to get down?

    Yeah, just a simple Strength (Athletics) check (it's still twenty feet up).

    Just don't biff it and you'll be fine.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited August 27
    Sneaks wrote: »
    Backup Deception Command: If Owenn doesn’t find a rock that’s right for the part, he’ll cast his tinderbox as the schema, because it’s round, metal, small, and already at hand. (And climbing pitons wedged under the lid could give the illusion of points, if the @Zonugal believes that could be set up in no more than, say, six seconds.) Then, he'll wrap it in his cloak and hand it to Gator.

    With six seconds I'd say you can either grab a piece of rock or the tinderbox, but any further fabrication (such as enhancing the tinderbox with climbing pitons wedged under the lid) would take more time.

    Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited August 27
    OOC: Whatever item is found will remain unadorned, then.

    Sneaks on
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler Registered User regular
    "Hey, uh, try to get the others up here quick?" Gator muttered quietly to Owenn as they grabbed the wrapped item and the rope and began to climb down. "This is gonna go bad fast, and I don't really want to be down there alone."

    OOC:

    Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Athletics

    Athletics:
    1d20+2 22 [1d20=20]

    Sneaks
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited August 28
    Gator climbs down successfully.

    "Ah, the dog does have a pint of wisdom buried under that fur? Aye!?!" Saber yells out, remaining partially covered behind large rocks & building ruins. Placing his shield off the side, Saber draws an item from a sheath, with his other hand holding the heavy crossbow. The Warforged Knight then shouts a command, "Twenty feet from me, put the schema on the ground and step five feet back from it."

    Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited August 28
    jdarksun wrote: »
    "Hey, uh, try to get the others up here quick?" Gator muttered quietly to Owenn as they grabbed the wrapped item and the rope and began to climb down. "This is gonna go bad fast, and I don't really want to be down there alone."

    “Right.”

    Owenn glanced at Faber, then down at John and Pierce still in the forge. He leaned down and hissed, “John! Pierce! You’re needed! John: Gator’s about to be a sitting duck down there unless he’s got an expert puncher at his back. Faber:” Owenn looked back over his shoulder at the well-armored researcher. “Can you light Pierce’s sword up again when she gets up here? I’d love to be able to see our newest acquaintance. Pierce… time for some heroism.”

    Owenn then started digging in his bag (again), this time producing the greater healing potion he’d just acquired. “Faber, somebody needs to get to Zed. I’ve got another healing potion on hand; I could do it… But I think you—or John if I give him the potion—would have better odds. What do you think?”

    Sneaks on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Faber considers the potion
    "I can take it, but I'm not particularly fast or stealthy. I think I'd be better placed in combat since that seems all but inevitable at this point.
    As for lighting up Pierce's sword, definitely can do. We both know that Pierce is already going to be front row center for this. I can light her sword up and we'd be plenty distracting if you wanted to try and sneak around. Judging by the crossbow bolt, our friend knows where we are, and it seems likely that they have some way of seeing in the dark.
    Once Pierce starts swinging her sword around, that's going to play merry hell with the shadows in this room, should make it a bit easier for a stealthier being to sneak around the back.

    Of course, that's assuming that Stabby doesn't drag his hostage with him to retrieve our "schema"."

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Faber considers the potion
    "I can take it, but I'm not particularly fast or stealthy. I think I'd be better placed in combat since that seems all but inevitable at this point.
    As for lighting up Pierce's sword, definitely can do. We both know that Pierce is already going to be front row center for this. I can light her sword up and we'd be plenty distracting if you wanted to try and sneak around. Judging by the crossbow bolt, our friend knows where we are, and it seems likely that they have some way of seeing in the dark.
    Once Pierce starts swinging her sword around, that's going to play merry hell with the shadows in this room, should make it a bit easier for a stealthier being to sneak around the back.

    Of course, that's assuming that Stabby doesn't drag his hostage with him to retrieve our "schema"."

    “You’re right… Okay, you join Gator. I’ll descend once he’s focused on the two of you and try to get to Zed.”

  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    "Just a moment, I'll head down once we have everyone up on the roof"

    Faber is going to go to the far side of the hole and offer his assistance in climbing up to anyone still in the forge so we can get them all up on the roof.

    OoC: I trust Gator is taking his time and carefully choosing his steps over this poorly lit and debris strewn field? Wouldn't want to rush now...

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler Registered User regular
    OOC: Gator would like to take their time and carefully choose their steps over the poorly lit and debris-strewn field. Will we be able to time this right, or is there something I'd need to roll to better coordinate it?

  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    OOC: Gator would like to take their time and carefully choose their steps over the poorly lit and debris-strewn field. Will we be able to time this right, or is there something I'd need to roll to better coordinate it?

    What exactly are you trying to coordinate?

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    OOC: I was just hoping for enough time to get all of our party members out of the forge so we didn't have someone trying to climb out under fire.
    Gator is on the ground approaching with our schema decoy, Owenn is getting ready to do the sneaky rogue thing, Faber is on the roof by the hole trying to help the others out of the forge, and Zedaar is currently being beaten unconscious, so we've still got Pierce and John in the forge if I'm tracking everyone correctly.
    If you can convincingly make that walk take 4-5 rounds (24-30 seconds), I'm hopeful that that would be sufficient time help two trained adventurers climb out of a one story building onto the roof.
    I'm guessing it's too late to fake a limp, considering how you climbed down, but maybe...?

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    If Gator is going to stretch one round's movement into four or five that'll be a Charisma (Deception) check.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    Ooc: @Centipede Damascus , ready to climb?

    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus What a wonderful harvest.Registered User regular
    John grabs hold of the rope leading to the roof and readies himself to head up.

    OoC: Do we need to roll another Athletics check?

    Cello
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    OoC: Do we need to roll another Athletics check?

    Nope!

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler Registered User regular
    Gator walked to the spot indicated by Saber. "I've got what you want, you've got what I want. When I back up, you bring the dragonborn with you. You can take the schema, then I'll come take the dragonborn."

  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited August 29
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Gator walked to the spot indicated by Saber. "I've got what you want, you've got what I want. When I back up, you bring the dragonborn with you. You can take the schema, then I'll come take the dragonborn."

    Saber nods his head, filled with sinister thoughts, "Agreed, so, throw down the schema."

    Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    As John climbs the rope, Pierce ascends close behind, eager to get an eye on the situation.

    Once at the top, Pierce looks to Gator and exclaims, "Oy, Gator! What's going on down there? He wants me to throw down my sax?"

    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited August 29
    Owenn started down the rope as silently as he could once John ascended. With Gator and Faber engaging the warforged in the exchange, and Pierce on the way up to the roof, there were plenty of distractions about. He tried to imagine himself slimmer, more rope like.

    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Stealth

    His feet touched the ground and he moved in a wide arc to his right, preparing to close the distance to Zed as quickly as possible when the moment was right.

    Stealth:
    1d20+5 19 [1d20=14]

    Sneaks on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 30
    Faber stands quietly beside Pierce, and extends one hand to her sheathed rapier to cast light.
    In a near inaudible voice he whispers "I've lit your blade again, it should be able to provide sufficient light when things start to happen...
    It may make for a handy distraction, so keep that in mind before you draw your weapon."

    see317 on
    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler Registered User regular
    Gator put down the bundle, and backed up ten feet. "It's an exchange, Pierce. This warforged has Zed hostage, and is demanding the schema or he'll kill the dragonborn."

  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler Registered User regular
    OOC: Prepare an action: once Zed is in range, whip his armor with the Grappling Whip, say the command word, and run like hell for the others.

  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    "Indeed, my threat is very real. But I am a man of my word..." Saber then, with his left hand, points a wand at the bundle on the ground. The tip of the wand illuminates softly for a moment then goes inert. "As opposed to you..."

    Dropping the wand, Saber grips both hands on his heavy crossbow.

    He then fires a heavy crossbow bolt straight into Gator's chest (12 dmg).

    "Did you take me for a fool, you cur?!? That ploy may have fooled an imbecile like Slayer, but me?!?"

    Saber leans down and picks up the wand before storing it back in his belt.

    Screaming out towards the foundry, "You betrayed me! Your mutt paid the price! I now have two of you down! THE SCHEMA! BRING! IT! NOW!!!"

    @jdarksun , you'll need to start making death saving throws.
    Whenever you start your turn with 0 hit points, you must make a special saving throw, called a death saving throw, to determine whether you creep closer to death or hang onto life. Unlike other saving throws, this one isn't tied to any ability score. You are in the hands of fate now, aided only by spells and features that improve your chances of succeeding on a saving throw.
    Roll a d20. If the roll is 10 or higher, you succeed. Otherwise, you fail. A success or failure has no effect by itself. On your third success, you become stable (see below). On your third failure, you die. The successes and failures don't need to be consecutive; keep track of both until you collect three of a kind. The number of both is reset to zero when you regain any hit points or become stable.

    COMBAT HAS STARTED

    For Those Without Darkvision:
    nvRu4A5.png

    For Those With Darkvision:
    IUfOdrk.png

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus What a wonderful harvest.Registered User regular
    Battle-Command: John will make a beeline towards Saber. Once he's gone as far as he can, (which I believe will put him about 30 feet away from Saber), he will take a Dodge action.

  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    Initiative: 1d20+3

    Battle Command: If Gator is not revived, Owenn will abandon all pretense and head straight for him. Upon reaching him (which he should just barely do), he’ll administer the greater healing potion to the shifter.

    Greater Healing Potion: 4d4+4

    Backup Battle Command: If Gator is back in action, Owenn will move 30' in a diagonal line northwest. What he does next will depend upon what he sees once he’s closer to Saber:
    • If Saber is engaged in combat against another conscious target (that is, if he has already acted this round), Owenn will move to Zed’s side.
    • If Saber is still choosing a target (that is, if he has not acted), Owenn will shoot Saber with his shortbow to draw him away from Zed.

    Shortbow: 1d20+5 / 1d6+3 piercing

  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Initiative 1d20

    Battle CommandAssuming Pierce is still nearby, Faber will pass the potion of heroism he recovered from the forge to Pierce (Applies affect of Bless for 1 hour: 10 temporary HP, +1d4 to attack/saving rolls).
    "Drink this, we'll need you at your most heroic" Faber will drop his bag (containing the Schema and other treasure) on the rooftop.
    Then descend the rope to reach the ground. If movement is still left, Faber will expend it heading towards Saber, then use his action to dash to close ground with Saber further.

    Backup Battle Command
    If Saber has moved close enough to reach without expending his action, Faber will expend his last spell slot to cast Inflict wounds (+5, 3d10 necrotic)

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Based on how high his rolls are, I fully expect @Centipede Damascus' John Merchant to just reenact this:

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Centipede Damascus
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler Registered User regular
    OOC: Do I not get to act somewhere in between Saber drawing a wand, activating a wand, drawing a crossbow, and firing a crossbow? That feels like a couple rounds worth of Actions.

    Geth, roll 1d20 for Death Save

    Death Save:
    1d20 8 [1d20=8]

    Sneaks
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    OOC: Do I not get to act somewhere in between Saber drawing a wand, activating a wand, drawing a crossbow, and firing a crossbow? That feels like a couple rounds worth of Actions.

    Saber already had his wand & the heavy crossbow out and prepared.

    So his action sequence would have been:
    -- Activate his wand (Action)
    -- Interpret the results (Free Action)
    -- Drop his wand (Free Action)
    -- Place his left hand on his heavy crossbow (Free Action)
    -- Fire his heavy crossbow directly at you (Action)

    @jdarksun, does Gator have any type of Reaction-based ability they could have used in between that sequence?

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    Pierce slides her blade out of her scabbard, a burst of light appearing to almost trail behind it as she cuts through the air to point it at Saber. "Please give our regards to the Lord of Blades - when we're through with you, he will be next!"

    Battle command: Pierce casts Blade Ward on herself before rushing towards Saber. Not sure if you need a roll to slide down the rope on the other side or not? She'll get as close as she can in her turn.

    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    @Cello, yeah, if you're climbing down the roof, that'll be a Strength (Athletics) check.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    @Cello, yeah, if you're climbing down the roof, that'll be a Strength (Athletics) check.

    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Athletics

    Athletics:
    1d20+3 4 [1d20=1]

    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    @Cello, yeah, if you're climbing down the roof, that'll be a Strength (Athletics) check.

    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Athletics

    Using 1 Lucky point to do better (???)

    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Athletics (better??)

    Athletics (better??):
    1d20+3 18 [1d20=15]

    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    Sneaks
Sign In or Register to comment.