[D&D-5E] Eberron: Shadows of the Last War

11920212325

Posts

  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Sneaks wrote: »
    “I know we were each looking forward to getting into our own beds tonight, but we do need to guard this thing as long as we’re holding onto it… A sleepover in the office may be in order.”

    What office?

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    OOC: I… had pictured us having space in Mason’s Tower this whole time. Going back and re-reading, I see that’s not the case.

  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    "I shall attend wherever this 'office' may be, and stay on guard! We must be cautious should more warriors of the Blade Lord seek this treasure out."

    OOC: is the office just some corner of the bar? I could see that working out, haha.

    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    "I shall attend wherever this 'office' may be, and stay on guard! We must be cautious should more warriors of the Blade Lord seek this treasure out."

    OOC: is the office just some corner of the bar? I could see that working out, haha.

    Yep!
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Your adventure begins at around 3 a.m. within the Upper Menthis Plateau. You all smell of cheap ale and spicy cider, all though that isn't to say you have spent the night drinking. Having come together since the Last War concluded two years ago, you've established a minor investigative service, operated out of a corner of The Broken Anvil (a small tavern located in Mason's Tower). Gator (a Shifter Ranger) and Owenn Kemble (a Halfling Rogue), after legally escaping prison decided to go into business together helping the less unfortunate from ending up behind the same bars they shared for far too long. Pulled into detective work are two Warforged. One clothed in smithing gear & a heavy sense of devotion, Faber Ferrarius (a Warforged Forge Cleric) has found a kinship with the two investigators (and the side money helps in their research into the fundamental truths pertaining to the constructed soul). The other is flamboyant, ostentatious, and lacking in any attempt at subtely, painted in gold. This particular Warforged is Pierce (a Warforged Bard), a soldier from the Eldeen Reaches. Designed to rally her compatriots, Pierce has decided this operation is in need of an "official figure-head" and has volunteered her talents at "guiding" this small troupe towards "heroic" ends. Dragging along Zedaar (a Dragonborn Fighter), who she fought alongside in during the Last War, Zedaar has found good money as the muscle of the group. As for John Merchant (a Half-Orc Monk), the urban brawler? As a bouncer for The Broken Anvil, he occasionally dabbles in business dealings with this unsavory lot. Keeps life interesting, and what is life without something new to do? John Merchant speaks on your behalf to his bosses as The Broken Anvil and allows you to operate out of it (for a very minor tax to the establishment). This business arrangement is cultivated by the fact that you also help in flipping chairs & cleaning up the tavern after closing. A routine that was practiced this very evening. You have just helped Merchant in closing up the tavern and now shoot the shit as you walk home collectively as a group.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Cello
  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    OOC: Well, it wouldn’t be my first choice to keep the schema in the same place Elaydren’s gonna be showing up, even if she’s only gonna be there for a short period. Going back to the Aldrich well seems… repetitive. I dunno. Does anyone have a spare room? Is there sufficient floor space in Faber’s lab?

  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Sneaks wrote: »
    OOC: Well, it wouldn’t be my first choice to keep the schema in the same place Elaydren’s gonna be showing up, even if she’s only gonna be there for a short period. Going back to the Aldrich well seems… repetitive. I dunno. Does anyone have a spare room? Is there sufficient floor space in Faber’s lab?

    OOC: Faber has a comfortable life style. He's got a fair sized place in the city, especially for a Warforged who tend towards a spartan existence. There is room for the party to crash there, though the furnishings outside of his workshop are limited to say the least.

    Faber says to the group: I don't have many of the creature comforts you may be used to, but I do have sufficient space for the five of us to spend the night. It's unlikely to be comfortable, but it should be secure.

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler Registered User regular
    Gator grinned. "You know I'm used to sleeping in alleys and under bridges, right? I'm sure it'll be fine."

  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I'll be honest, I presumed you all lived in something akin to The Happiness Hotel.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Centipede DamascusSneaksAustinP0027Cellojdarksun
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Also, I am having significant technical issues this week (which will bleed into next week).

    While you all rest, you'll have time to update your characters.

    YOU HAVE ALL LEVELED UP.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Centipede Damascussee317jdarksunSneaksCello
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Faber waves the party into his apartment swinging the thick oaken door open. The hinges squeak a little and Faber shoots them a glare while mentally taking a note to oil them when it's convenient.

    The main room has a small wooden bench in the center of the room, facing a fireplace. A garden level window faces towards the street letting in a usable amount of light throughout the day and early evening. The floor is aged hardwood with a number of threadbare rugs thrown over it to quiet the sounds of steel feet. A medium sized stone fireplace adorns one corner of the room, it is surprisingly clean and the minimal stack of firewood nearby is barely enough to last for a full night of burning, between the noticeable cleanliness of the fireplace and the minimal supply of wood, it seems to be a nod towards the intended use of the fireplace rather than a commonly used fixture.

    A small kitchen with storage cabinets and an iron stove is situated away from the front entrance. A bucket of coal situated near the stove shows considerably more use than the fireplace, one could assume it's used to boil water to clean equipment rather than cooking or heating. The counter tops are filled with inverted glass containers resting on cloth towels, set to dry after having been cleaned, alongside a number of forceps and small tools, likewise having been cleaned. The pantries are bare aside from a small selection of cleaning compounds and utensils and a selection of large, slow burning candles.

    The garderobe juts out from the wall opposite the fireplace and kitchen, and is itself well ventilated for the intended purpose with a snugly fit door in place, but shows little signs of use. Hardly surprising considering the main occupant of the residence.
    A door next to it leads to a closet, Faber sets his weapon, shield and other adventuring gear in.

    Between the fireplace and the kitchen, a door leads into the second room. Originally intended as a bedroom, it has been converted into Faber's laboratory.
    A heavy oak table sits in the center of the room, a humanoid shaped form rests in the center. It appears to be a crudely made simulacrum of a warforged, lacking any of the motive force of a real one. The walls are lined with dense shelving units and book cases. The shelves are cluttered with further glassware, trinkets and both scientific and thaumaturgic instruments. The book cases are densely packed with works of scholarship detailing research procedures and revaluations of famous mages and academics. A small workbench is set up against the far wall, with tools arranged carefully on a pegboard behind it and a small complicated clockwork device in the center next to a journal and a number of writing utensils.

    The wall above the work bench, and the wall above the kitchen area bear a pair of iron sconces, each holding a candle. The candles themselves are new, and appear to never have been burnt.

    Faber considers his spartan living quarters, bare pantry and inadequate wood pile. He approaches one of the candles to the rear of the room and casts light on it to illuminate the room in the waning light of day.
    "Perhaps we should get some supplies for the evening? Unless you're content eating field rations...?"

    Rough sketch:
    20z3o6ammm32.gif

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
    SneaksCelloZonugaljdarksun
  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited September 13
    Owenn put the majority of his gear down in a disused corner of the apartment, then nodded to Faber. “I’ll do some shopping. It’ll give me a chance to check for messages back at Mason’s Tower.”

    He extracted his money and his weapons—one couldn’t be too careful—from the pack, then rolled his shoulders, visibly enjoying being less encumbered. He looked to the others. “Any requests? If you leave it up to me, it’ll be street sausages with extra cabbage.”

    Sneaks on
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler Registered User regular
    Gator sat down against the wall near the fireplace, unslinging their bow and drawing forth both short swords, the magical whip, and all their arrows. "This is a nice place, Faber." The shifter examined the bow, paying careful attention to the string nocks and the string itself. "Dry, warm. No bugs." Satisfied with the bow, the shifter moved on to the swords, checking edge and tip. "Owenn, I'll eat any pork you can find. Smoked, salted, pickled, any kind of cured meat would be great." After the swords came the arrows. The fletching had to be securely attached, the shafts straight, the heads sharp.

    Finally, the whip. Gator examined it, couldn't figure out what part of the magic item they should be maintaining, shrugged, and coiled it back up on their belt. Then the shifter put their head back against the wall and closed their eyes. Gator was asleep shortly thereafter.

  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Faber rustles around in his workshop, collecting a number of heavy books from the lowest shelf.
    He returns to the main room with a dozen tomes, a number of scrolls, some pencils and a number of oddly shaped dice. The books are labeled in large letters "Advanced Desktops and Dividends π edition" .

    "Perhaps a game to pass some time? This is a fascinating role playing game that's set in a world utterly devoid of magic, monsters, gods and non human races... You play a number of office workers setting out to make the owner of the company richer in hopes that you may see a raise in your salary at the end of the year while also managing your own budget and trying to make ends meet!

    No? Okay then, never mind."

    Faber returns to his workshop with the schema and sets it on his work bench. He reaches out to cast light on the candle here, but pauses realizing that would extinguish the light in the main room, not a huge issue when he's alone, but with guests it seems like it may be rude. Instead he lights the candle the old fashioned way and sets to work examining the schema in a more relaxed and organized surrounding. Utilizing a magnifying glass and what other tools he has he makes a careful copy of the detailed engraving and sets out to examine the odd artifact until the late hours.

    @Zonugal , let me know what rolls I should make here to see if there is any additional information I can glean from the schema.

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    It'd be an Intelligence (Arcana) roll.

    If you have access to arcane tomes and can perform research, that'd likely offer you advantage on the roll (as long as you spent a long rest performing the research).

    But don't be disappointed if nothing comes up. Your research may tell you everything about schemas in general, its very unlikely it would tell you anything specific about this particular one.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    I've got the Researcher feature in my background, so let's see what the check tells us.

    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for arcana check
    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for arcana check with advantage.

    arcana check:
    1d20+3 20 [1d20=17]
    arcana check with advantage:
    1d20+3 4 [1d20=1]

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    While the rest of the party sleeps, Faber conducts quiet research illuminated softly by candle-light (I am presuming Pierce rests in a manner to which she is guarding the primary entrance to Faber's residence).

    Faber doesn't discover too much from his research. A great deal of conflicting stories, reports, and theories as to the nature of any one schema.

    What he can pin-point is that the same two words seem to appear when deciphering and connecting writing on the schema in his possession:

    Supreme.

    Weapon.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    see317jdarksunSneaksToxCello
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited September 14
    Faber mumbles to himself: "Well, that certainly seems less than ideal to deliver to an unknown third party who's aims are a mystery to us.
    Perhaps we can hold the schema until Owenn receives his confirmation of our contacts credentials..."

    OoC:In the meantime, is there any way Faber can alter the Schema to make it unusable, but do so in a way that it still appears to be the genuine, intact article to a person who's not seen it before but is presumably well versed in schema?
    I'm not sure exactly how schemas work or how complex they are.
    Like, if I were to take a file to one or two of the glyphs on the schema, then coat the thing in dirty oil to age the file marks up to disguise the sabotage, or pour molten metal into any connection points of the schema, would that be sufficient to break it? Or is it more durable?
    He's not going to do anything to it yet, I'm just looking for some options.


    Faber will wait until morning, then great his companions with his findings once they're awake and have eaten something.
    "The only thing I can translate with any reliability are these two words, 'supreme' and 'weapon'. Assuming my research was reliable, that seems ominous. I'm somewhat hesitant to turn over a potential weapon to a person we know so little about. Owenn, any chance you received a reply?
    We've got two days before she gives up hope on us returning with the schema. At that point it seems unlikely she's going to give up and call this a loss, we'll be facing other adventurers and mercenaries for the schema.

    But, Owenn, when you go check your messages, try to do so quietly. If this is as powerful as it seems, she may be watching for any or all of us. If she sees you back and we don't return the schema tonight she may decide something has gone wrong and come looking for us directly."

    see317 on
    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    OoC:In the meantime, is there any way Faber can alter the Schema to make it unusable, but do so in a way that it still appears to be the genuine, intact article to a person who's not seen it before but is presumably well versed in schema?
    I'm not sure exactly how schemas work or how complex they are.
    Like, if I were to take a file to one or two of the glyphs on the schema, then coat the thing in dirty oil to age the file marks up to disguise the sabotage, or pour molten metal into any connection points of the schema, would that be sufficient to break it? Or is it more durable?
    He's not going to do anything to it yet, I'm just looking for some options.

    The schema in possession is pretty durable, but any of the options provided could be used to modify the magic item (making it difficult to utilize). Breaking the item is theoretically an option, but without intricate knowledge of how the schema works (and how it fits together with other schema pieces) it'd be impossible for Faber to know how much of it to break off (e.g. he could break off half of it, but that would certainly draw attention to it).

    So, basically, what is Faber thinking of doing?

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    OoC:In the meantime, is there any way Faber can alter the Schema to make it unusable, but do so in a way that it still appears to be the genuine, intact article to a person who's not seen it before but is presumably well versed in schema?
    I'm not sure exactly how schemas work or how complex they are.
    Like, if I were to take a file to one or two of the glyphs on the schema, then coat the thing in dirty oil to age the file marks up to disguise the sabotage, or pour molten metal into any connection points of the schema, would that be sufficient to break it? Or is it more durable?
    He's not going to do anything to it yet, I'm just looking for some options.

    The schema in possession is pretty durable, but any of the options provided could be used to modify the magic item (making it difficult to utilize). Breaking the item is theoretically an option, but without intricate knowledge of how the schema works (and how it fits together with other schema pieces) it'd be impossible for Faber to know how much of it to break off (e.g. he could break off half of it, but that would certainly draw attention to it).

    So, basically, what is Faber thinking of doing?

    Faber is worried about potentially turning the keys to a weapon of mass destruction over to an unknown quantity. Like, you probably wouldn't turn the launch keys over to some psycho militiaman in the middle of Montana, but if you absolutely had to do so for some reason, you might take a minute or two with a jewelers file and shave off just a little bit here and there so they couldn't be used anymore even though they still looked like the launch keys.

    If we were going to compare a schema to a computer, Faber is looking at the possibility of opening it up, applying a tiny dot of solder between a couple of contact points or jumper pins and then sealing it back up so it looks normal from the outside, but wouldn't start up. My thought is that you don't have to know everything about computers to break them, and you only need to know a little to break them in a non obvious way. Presumably, our contact wouldn't be likely to notice such sabotage until they got home and tried to plug the laptop in and charge it.
    At which point in time it energetically (maybe not catastrophically, but maybe so) fails to do what is expected and the project to build the supreme weapon goes nowhere. We get plausible deniability (we delivered it, didn't we?), and a world with fewer super weapons in it, and we quietly hope that they weren't secretly planning to use the schema for good in which case I've just doomed entire swaths of the population to a life of poverty and hunger or worse in the process of trying to be good.

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    OOC: So far, it appears that Owenn will have checked for messages twice: the first time would have been upon returning to the surface, when he went to pick up dinner. (He would’ve gone to Mason’s Tower before getting food.) He would have looked for d’Vown, assuming she would choose the same table each night if it’s available, and therefore making it easier to avoid her notice on his next visit. He doesn’t want to be seen by her, but would rather be seen than look as though he is hiding. If he is spotted, he’d engage her in a brief conversation.

    The second visit to check for messages would be in the morning, after Faber establishes more of the stakes.

    What follow are perception and stealth rolls, as I assume at least one of each will be involved in these tasks. If other rolls and/or advantage/disadvantage need to be applied, say the word and I’ll roll more dice.


    Geth roll 1d20+4 for Perception
    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Stealth

    Perception:
    1d20+4 9 [1d20=5]
    Stealth:
    1d20+5 6 [1d20=1]

  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    Okay, so I won’t spot d’Vown unless she’s at the same table we met with her before. If then, even. But halfling luck enables a reroll of the stealth check:

    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Stealth, but Better

    Stealth, but Better:
    1d20+5 15 [1d20=10]

  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited September 15
    Pierce slept with her blade close at hand near the entrance, prepared for any potential intrusion into Faber's abode. Waking up well-rested was almost disappointing, but who knew what the rest of the day would hold?

    Rejoining the party and hearing Faber's interpretation of the schema, Pierce says, "Hmmm! A supreme weapon, you say... Given the Lord of Blades' interest, could it be...a very, very good rapier? I admit I would be intrigued to know more."

    Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited September 15
    see317 wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    OoC:In the meantime, is there any way Faber can alter the Schema to make it unusable, but do so in a way that it still appears to be the genuine, intact article to a person who's not seen it before but is presumably well versed in schema?
    I'm not sure exactly how schemas work or how complex they are.
    Like, if I were to take a file to one or two of the glyphs on the schema, then coat the thing in dirty oil to age the file marks up to disguise the sabotage, or pour molten metal into any connection points of the schema, would that be sufficient to break it? Or is it more durable?
    He's not going to do anything to it yet, I'm just looking for some options.

    The schema in possession is pretty durable, but any of the options provided could be used to modify the magic item (making it difficult to utilize). Breaking the item is theoretically an option, but without intricate knowledge of how the schema works (and how it fits together with other schema pieces) it'd be impossible for Faber to know how much of it to break off (e.g. he could break off half of it, but that would certainly draw attention to it).

    So, basically, what is Faber thinking of doing?

    Faber is worried about potentially turning the keys to a weapon of mass destruction over to an unknown quantity. Like, you probably wouldn't turn the launch keys over to some psycho militiaman in the middle of Montana, but if you absolutely had to do so for some reason, you might take a minute or two with a jewelers file and shave off just a little bit here and there so they couldn't be used anymore even though they still looked like the launch keys.

    If we were going to compare a schema to a computer, Faber is looking at the possibility of opening it up, applying a tiny dot of solder between a couple of contact points or jumper pins and then sealing it back up so it looks normal from the outside, but wouldn't start up. My thought is that you don't have to know everything about computers to break them, and you only need to know a little to break them in a non obvious way. Presumably, our contact wouldn't be likely to notice such sabotage until they got home and tried to plug the laptop in and charge it.
    At which point in time it energetically (maybe not catastrophically, but maybe so) fails to do what is expected and the project to build the supreme weapon goes nowhere. We get plausible deniability (we delivered it, didn't we?), and a world with fewer super weapons in it, and we quietly hope that they weren't secretly planning to use the schema for good in which case I've just doomed entire swaths of the population to a life of poverty and hunger or worse in the process of trying to be good.

    So, as mentioned above, Faber is free to try to sabotage it.

    But the schema isn't one produced by Cannith in a factory.

    It's from Xen'drik, ancient in design (likely created by the Giants of ol').

    Tampering with an incredibly magical device is risky and there's no guarantee that Faber's sabotage would even work.

    I'll also note that the schema is adamantine in structure, so damaging it is very difficult.

    I leave whatever choice you make to you.

    Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    While Owenn doesn't spot Lady Elaydren d’Vown at the tavern, he is also inconspicuous enough to evade any detection from casual inspection. A heavy cloak on top of a Halfling will generally do that. Leaving the tavern, Owenn returns to the local Sivis message station for a second time.

    Entering the Sivis message station, Owenn is greated by the Gnome clerk who alerts him that his message has finally arrived. Handing over a letter from Jordanna d’Cannith, inscribed by the Gnomes of the station, Owenn reads the following:
    Greetings the Mason’s Tower Detective Agency,

    We at House Cannith of Fairhaven thank you for your urgent consideration upon the request of our relationship to one Lady Elaydren d’Vown. Without knowing more about the specifics of the task she commissioned to your company, we can only attest that she is indeed a noble within House Cannith of Fairhaven. As cousin to Lady Jordanna d’Cannith she enjoys the privileges, and wears the responsibilities, of our house and only acts to grow it ever forward. We trust your introduction to her was met with much pleasure, as she is a bright rose in any room.

    We hope you the best luck on your retrieval of whatever Lady Elaydren d’Vown requested of you.

    Sincerely,
    Gertrude d'Cannith, deputy-secretary to Lady Jordanna d’Cannith

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Cello
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler Registered User regular
    OOC: What do we know about House Cannith? Are they likely to ... responsibly use a superweapon?

  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    OOC: What do we know about House Cannith? Are they likely to ... responsibly use a superweapon?

    That sounds like an Intelligence (History) check...

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    “Well,” Owenn said, shutting the door to Faber’s lab behind him as he entered. “Lady d’Vown’s reference in House Cannith checks out. Which is to say it has all the empty praise of nobility that you’d expect. That said, it means she can likely pay the bill, if nothing else… Faber, do we know anything more about what we’ve got here?”

  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus What a wonderful harvest.Registered User regular
    Deciding that it would be better to avoid going home for now, just in case the group was followed, John joins the others at Faber's home. While Faber inspects the schema, he unrolls a bedroll and lies down to rest.

  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Faber lowers his voice and waves Owenn over to his workbench where the schema sits among a clutter of measuring tools, writing utensils, notepads, scrolls on the nature of schema and apocryphal stories about schema stacked to one side of the bench, and, on the other side of the bench, a perfect drawing of the schema stretched out and weighted down with sealed ink wells filled with lead shot. Notations are written, crossed out rewritten and updated around the drawing of the schema in a neat hand, some referring back to specific passages of the research materials some just conjuncture on Faber's part.

    "Owenn, good to see you. I learned a few things of interest, and a few points of conjecture.
    First, the schema is old. Really old. Predates any of the mass produced factory built schema that we're used to. Probably built by the giants that created schema in the first place.
    Second, the schema is made of adamantie, so it's tough. We might be able to damage it subtly enough to render it useless but appear largely unaltered, but it'll be tough to do so. And not knowing what the schema is supposed to do or connect with we won't be able to test it."


    Faber holds his hand to forestall comments about damaging the goods they've been hired to deliver.

    "That's important because of the third thing. There's a lot of information regarding schema, historic and common, not all of it works together. Some of it is downright contradictory. I've been able to translate a couple of words that show up on the schema, they read 'Supreme Weapon'. I don't know enough of the politics in this city to know one way or the other, but it seems like something with ties to a supreme weapon may not be the best thing to hand over to just anyone. It's good that d'Vown checks out, but how does House Cannith check out? How are they likely to pursue, build or use a supreme weapon? How likely are they to be collecting these artifacts to hid them away from the Lord of Blades or others like him?

    And, of course, that begs the question of the quality of my own research. We're limited by time and resources here. This could just as easily be the key to sealing a supreme weapon or defusing one as it could be a part of the process to create a new one. If we do opt to tamper with it, I don't know what the results will be. Considering the power in this schema, it could be catastrophic, or it may just prevent the thing from working. And, I don't enjoy the prospect of damaging such a work or artifice, but I enjoy the thought of putting a super weapon in the hands of the unworthy or the witless even less so.

    I am inclined to trust House Cannith personally, for the moment, if only based on the fact that they haven't tried to kill us a half dozen times already. That may change after we turn the schema over though.
    I wonder if it would be possible to damage it in some way that would be easily repaired if it's known, but difficult to locate and correct for someone who doesn't know the trick. Like a puzzle box or...

    I'm overthinking things again, Owenn. I apologize.
    I get caught in these self reinforcing loops on occasion. Sometimes it's nice to just be able to smash something with a mace...
    Don't have to think much for mace smashing. No contemplation, just sheer mechanical force."

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
    Sneaks
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler Registered User regular
    edited September 17
    OOC: Gator is apparently still asleep while trying to make this check.
    Geth, roll 1d20+1 for Intelligence (History) check

    Intelligence (History) check:
    1d20+1 2 [1d20=1]

    jdarksun on
    Zonugal
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited September 17
    Exhausted from adventuring, and starving for pork, Gator searches his mind for answers. His eyes are heavy, and his breathing hard.

    Gator knows that House Kannith? is one of the major drakeborn? fellowships? in the six nations? of Ebberon.

    They specialize in... something?!

    They are smart??

    They... work... good?

    Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Centipede Damascusjdarksun
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited September 17
    Gator's eyes shut and his mind opens.

    Titanic factories spew emerald gas into the sky.

    The sound of gigantic, automated mauls crash down upon adamantine.

    Caravans and land-ships overrun a dead field.

    The vehicles sport crimson eyes and howl. They twist and turn, spinning upright.

    They become mighty men.

    Gator suddenly wakes up.

    Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    see317jdarksun
  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited September 17
    see317 wrote: »
    "I'm overthinking things again, Owenn. I apologize. I get caught in these self reinforcing loops on occasion. Sometimes it's nice to just be able to smash something with a mace... Don't have to think much for mace smashing. No contemplation, just sheer mechanical force."
    The halfling approached Faber at his workbench and took on a softer, more reassuring tone than was typical. “I get what you’re saying, believe me. And I wish we had enough information that this decision was made for us, too. House Cannith have a history of profiteering… but they’re not unique in that, and—as far as I know—they aren’t in the business of starting wars. In the absence of concrete evidence of ill intent… I think we have to do what we agreed to do.”

    OOC: I doubt Owenn has more than what would be common knowledge of House Cannith (and this isn’t the first time I’ve referred to them as war profiteers in this thread), but just in case:

    Geth roll 1d20+1 for History

    History:
    1d20+1 18 [1d20=17]

    Sneaks on
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Owenn knows the following about House Cannith:
    House Cannith is a human dragonmarked house whose members are well known for their innovation and advancements in technology. They are responsible for technological wonders such as the Warforged and the lightning rail. House Cannith provide repair services and the house's gorgon mark is a known and trusted symbol that appears on magical and mundane items. Through past wars Cannith have become the most politically powerful dragonmarked house.

    House Cannith produce mundane fine wares that although were crafted using magic, are not magical items. Items that are created by House Cannith are marked with the House's gorgon symbol, a symbol which is known to indicate quality and value. Cannith create all sorts of items such as watertight barrels, horse shoes and sword hilts. Cannith operates very few retail establishments; the Fabricator's Guild prefers to leave the selling to merchants so they can focus on production. Despite this, Cannith still dominates commerce and industry in Khorvaire. Cannith's Tinkers Guild enlists roaming tinkers to provide repair services for broken goods, and Cannith magewrights are needed for the production of various elemental machines.

    When the Last War broke out, Cannith was ready to reap the benefits and found itself acting as an arms dealer to all nations. They amassed a great fortune in gold, rivaling that of House Kundarak. They also gained something more valuable than money: political power. The Five Nations became so reliant on Cannith weapons that the availability of their goods began to affect how each nation made policy decisions, giving the Dragonmarked House unprecedented political advantage. By the end of the war. House Cannith was believed to be the most powerful Dragonmarked House.

    That ended on the Day of Mourning in 994 YK. The disaster that destroyed Cyre also destroyed the Whitehearth forgehold and its wealth, knowledge, and resources and inhabitants. After the war, matters only got worse for Cannith. The Treaty of Thronehold not only liberated the Warforged, but also banned Cannith from creating any more. With the end of the war came the end of Cannith's role as an international arms dealer and some of their political influence ended with it.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    "Why, we gave our word to deliver the schema! Surely we are not planning to go back on our agreement?" Pierce seems shocked at the suggestion.

    "The lady seemed of good character, and her reference indicated as such! In the unlikely situation where we have misjudged her intent, we can simply retrieve it again, as easily as the first time!"

    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler Registered User regular
    "I don't think it's a good idea to give any of the houses a supreme weapon." Gator mumbles blearily. "How will it help the people of the world to prop up the oligarchy?"

  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited September 19
    OOC: DM GAME TIME-OUT

    Okay folks, while I respect the freedom displayed in how to conclude this adventure, I would remind you that this is a pre-written module from 2004. I have ultimate flexibility to change it as I see but its underlying structure has been put in place by virtue of it being pre-made.

    So, you can continue down one of the illustrated paths being discussed above, but it becomes significantly harder for me to narratively connect any additional adventures/modules based on certain choices made.

    I don't want to rail-road you but there are only certain tracks that lead you to the next city, so to speak.

    Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler Registered User regular
    OOC: Oops, sorry! :) Been a long time since I've played modules, I really enjoy it but I do get away from myself some times. :lol: What are our possible choices here?

  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    OOC: Oops, sorry! :) Been a long time since I've played modules, I really enjoy it but I do get away from myself some times. :lol: What are our possible choices here?

    You meet up with Lady Elaydren d’Vown and complete your assigned mission.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    OoC: Didn't realize this was a module. In that case Faber is going to abandon his research into disabling or destroying the Schema and content himself with a collection of sketches and drawings of the schema to study in his down time.

    Faber: "On further consideration, it's too dangerous to attempt modification or destruction of the schema. The magic contained within this... If I break it incorrectly, we might wind up triggering a second cataclysm, or worse. While it'd be almost certainly be fast for us, particularly compared to a death by acid spitting rat, I doubt that would be much comfort in our last moment."

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
Sign In or Register to comment.