[D&D-5E] Eberron: Shadows of the Last War

1235725

Posts

  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Faber is heading towards the Anvil, our meeting with Aldritch having gone as well as could be hoped. Some useful information gathered about other warforged in town hiring muscle. Before entering the establishment, Faber will take a walk around the block and see if there are any people who stick out more than usual for this time of day in this part of town, in particular fair-sized groups of hired goons, in particular Shifters or Warforged.

    Circling the block Faber sees a lot of citizens, as is appropriate & standard during the lunch rush of Sharn. He sees Warforged heading towards construction work, Gnomes talking to themselves, Humans on saloon corners making insincere smiles at strangers, two Shifters reading newspapers, some Dwarves grumbling about losing their jobs to Warforged, a Half-Orc bounty hunter asking strangers questions, and a Half-Elf performing card tricks on a make-shift table.
    jdarksun wrote: »
    OOC: Even while playing badly at cards, Gator kept an eye on the folk that walked through the door.

    Gator manages to see a lot of details (perhaps that is why he played such a horrible game of cards) as patrons enter the tavern.

    One in particular though...A younger human female in the dark blue cloak entered the tavern with old confidence. She has delicate features, dark blue eyes, and sleek black hair bound with silver and turquoise ornaments. You spot upon her right ring finger a signet ring of House Cannith. She requests a humble cup of tea from her server and then proceeds to start reviewing notes in a small pocket note-book.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited July 2
    OOC: I’m a little fuzzy on the intended order of operations, so I’m gonna proceed as though Faber’s doin’ his lap while Owenn finishes up with Aldrich.
    see317 wrote: »
    “Aldritch already knows that you, and now me, are tied into something dangerous involving the Lord of Blades. He knows where you can be found. It seems unlikely that any further details we can provide will make him a greater threat to you, or the rest of us. We can leave out mention of the journal, but letting him know that we're dealing with suicidal, homicidal Warforged on a mission may convince him that it would be in his own best interest to avoid getting involved. …Well, further involved.
    “…Hopefully it will be sufficient to convince him not to seek out buyers for this information.”
    Ald’s congregation was disappointed, but accepting of the delay of the service. Owenn hadn’t caught the excuse Ald had given them, but nobody was getting up to leave. Just as well; Owenn really only had a couple more questions.

    Aldrich motioned Owenn backstage to the green room. It in the same state of disrepair as the rest of the theater, but it also shared its feeling of rundown dignity. Aldrich sat in a chair that was probably quite opulent once. Owenn took a stool and got back to business. “So Blades is bringin’ on warforged and shifter mercs. I know you don’t know what for or where they’re actually working, but do you have any idea where they’re gathering?”

    OOC: Insert Aldrich’s answer here.

    “Hmm. How about long this little recruitment drive’s been going on; got anything there?”

    OOC: Insert Aldrich’s answer here.

    “Okay,” Owenn said, standing back up. “Thanks, Ald. Oh, and you were right: this so-called Lord is a maniac. My team is in his crosshairs, and if it gets around that we’ve been talking about this, you’re liable to get lumped in with us. So, at the very least, be careful… Might even be a good time to visit your sister in Wroat for a week or two. You could call it a pilgrimage.”

    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Persuasion

    OOC: Based on Aldrich’s answers, I’ll write one more post that’ll finish this task up.

    EDIT: I mis-formatted the die roll, so it missed the +5. Total is actually 16.

    Persuasion:
    1d20 11 [1d20=11]

    Sneaks on
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Sneaks wrote: »
    Aldrich motioned Owenn backstage to the green room. It in the same state of disrepair as the rest of the theater, but it also shared its feeling of rundown dignity. Aldrich sat in a chair that was probably quite opulent once. Owenn took a stool and got back to business. “So Blades is bringin’ on warforged and shifter mercs. I know you don’t know what for or where they’re actually working, but do you have any idea where they’re gathering?”

    Aldrich scratched his bald head, "Ehh.. I don't, Owenn. I trade in some information but not all of it."
    Sneaks wrote: »
    “Hmm. How about long this little recruitment drive’s been going on; got anything there?”

    "About the last eight hour, is what I have heard. Could have been longer, but that's when it got to me."
    Sneaks wrote: »
    “Okay,” Owenn said, standing back up. “Thanks, Ald. Oh, and you were right: this so-called Lord is a maniac. My team is in his crosshairs, and if it gets around that we’ve been talking about this, you’re liable to get lumped in with us. So, at the very least, be careful… Might even be a good time to visit your sister in Wroat for a week or two. You could call it a pilgrimage.”

    "Ah ha ah... Thanks for the concern Owenn, but I ain't afraid of any rust-buckets make trouble my way. You forget, little Owenn," Alridich says while standing up and lightly spin around on his feet. "I'm blessed now! AHAHAHAHA!!!!!!"

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    Owenn sighed. “Then on your head be it. See you, Ald.”

  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler Registered User regular
    Gator caught Pierce's eyes, and gave her the small, subtle signal indicating that their target had been spotted. The shifter laid their cards down on the table, murmured something about needing to grab another round, and left the table. On the way to the bar, Gator walked behind Zed and whispered to the dragonborn: "human female, blue cloak, black hair."

    After receiving a mug of gnomish cider, the shifter made their way to the woman's booth and sat down close enough for the two to converse. "Bonal Geldem sent me." Gator began the conversation with the shifter's usual bluntness. "Mind telling me why he was killed?"


    OOC: Move to the woman's booth / table / a bar stool beside her. Provoke a reaction. Attempt to discern intent with Insight if necessary.

  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    After receiving a mug of gnomish cider, the shifter made their way to the woman's booth and sat down close enough for the two to converse. "Bonal Geldem sent me." Gator began the conversation with the shifter's usual bluntness. "Mind telling me why he was killed?"

    "Oh, a little blunt are we? Well, Mister Gator, I am not a prison stone in need of a hammer's smashing. Be smooth, be smooth... As to the dark fate of one, Professor Bonal Geldem? Intrigue surrounds us all, particularly those on the hunt... For ancient secrets."

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited July 3
    Sneaks wrote: »
    OOC: I’m a little fuzzy on the intended order of operations, so I’m gonna proceed as though Faber’s doin’ his lap while Owenn finishes up with Aldrich.
    OOC: I could be wrong in this, but it's my understanding that there's not really a turn order where we're waiting for someone to post before we make our post. That's great for a tabletop environment where you don't want everyone talking over each other, but just causes delays in a play by post game. PC posts seem to happen concurrently until Zonugal posts an update declaring that time has passed and we're on the next "scene". Similar to the way combat works where we all post our combat turns and Zonugal assembles them into a coherent series of events. But, correct me if I'm wrong @Zonugal

    Faber continues his lap of the block taking note of the location of the Shifters reading papers as well as the half orc bounty hunter. He lingers briefly nearby the bounty hunter, hoping to overhear some the questions the half orc is putting to passersby while trying to look like he's not trying to eavesdrop. He doesn't linger long though, he's got an appointment to keep.

    Geth, roll 2d20 for stealth at disadvantage
    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for eavesdropping perception

    After leaving the bounty hunter behind to his work, he approaches John at his chosen observation point, and quietly taps him on the shoulder.
    "We learned some worrying information. Me and Owenn will fill everyone in once we're inside... assuming things don't go too drastically sideways. You see anything interesting from out here?"

    OOC:Wasn't sure how to roll with disadvantage here, so that's a 5 on my stealth check and 8 for eavesdropping. Guessing that's not really going to get me much.

    stealth at disadvantage:
    2d20 23 [2d20=18, 5]
    eavesdropping perception:
    1d20+3 8 [1d20=5]

    see317 on
    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Sneaks wrote: »
    OOC: I’m a little fuzzy on the intended order of operations, so I’m gonna proceed as though Faber’s doin’ his lap while Owenn finishes up with Aldrich.
    OOC: I could be wrong in this, but it's my understanding that there's not really a turn order where we're waiting for someone to post before we make our post. That's great for a tabletop environment where you don't want everyone talking over each other, but just causes delays in a play by post game. PC posts seem to happen concurrently until Zonugal posts an update declaring that time has passed and we're on the next "scene". Similar to the way combat works where we all post our combat turns and Zonugal assembles them into a coherent series of events. But, correct me if I'm wrong @Zonugal

    Nah, that's a pretty fair assessment of it all. This is my first play-by-post game, so I'm learning while I do it.

    But yeah, there aren't order of operations, as I feel they'll slow the story down.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Sneaks
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Faber continues his lap of the block taking note of the location of the Shifters reading papers as well as the half orc bounty hunter. He lingers briefly nearby the bounty hunter, hoping to overhear some the questions the half orc is putting to passersby while trying to look like he's not trying to eavesdrop. He doesn't linger long though, he's got an appointment to keep.

    After leaving the bounty hunter behind to his work, he approaches John at his chosen observation point, and quietly taps him on the shoulder.
    "We learned some worrying information. Me and Owenn will fill everyone in once we're inside... assuming things don't go too drastically sideways. You see anything interesting from out here?"

    OOC:Wasn't sure how to roll with disadvantage here, so that's a 5 on my stealth check and 8 for eavesdropping. Guessing that's not really going to get me much.

    All Faber manages to hear from the Half-Orc bounty hunter is, "--and if you should manage to see him again, you let me know, bub! Zorlan might be a patient man, but I'm not."

    As for the Shifters? They're just standing around, reading their newspapers very slowly.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    After receiving a mug of gnomish cider, the shifter made their way to the woman's booth and sat down close enough for the two to converse. "Bonal Geldem sent me." Gator began the conversation with the shifter's usual bluntness. "Mind telling me why he was killed?"
    "Oh, a little blunt are we? Well, Mister Gator, I am not a prison stone in need of a hammer's smashing. Be smooth, be smooth... As to the dark fate of one, Professor Bonal Geldem? Intrigue surrounds us all, particularly those on the hunt... For ancient secrets."
    "Just Gator, please." The shifter considered their next line of questions before continuing. "I'm not really interested in ancient secrets, though I suspect some of my friends might be. Personally, I'm more concerned about the Lord of Blades or his followers coming to kill us, either in retaliation for the death of one of his own or to take Geldem's book or both." Gator paused, to see if the woman responded to their mention of the Lord of Blades.

  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    After receiving a mug of gnomish cider, the shifter made their way to the woman's booth and sat down close enough for the two to converse. "Bonal Geldem sent me." Gator began the conversation with the shifter's usual bluntness. "Mind telling me why he was killed?"
    "Oh, a little blunt are we? Well, Mister Gator, I am not a prison stone in need of a hammer's smashing. Be smooth, be smooth... As to the dark fate of one, Professor Bonal Geldem? Intrigue surrounds us all, particularly those on the hunt... For ancient secrets."
    "Just Gator, please." The shifter considered their next line of questions before continuing. "I'm not really interested in ancient secrets, though I suspect some of my friends might be. Personally, I'm more concerned about the Lord of Blades or his followers coming to kill us, either in retaliation for the death of one of his own or to take Geldem's book or both." Gator paused, to see if the woman responded to their mention of the Lord of Blades.

    "Ah, yes, the Maniac of the Mournlands. I don't have much wisdom to share with regards to evading his fury. But he is a coward, and I hear you have already dispatched one of his assassins."

    The woman then pulls out a velvet bag of coins and places them softly on the table.

    "But I do imagine that should you retrieve the relic before his agents, he might lose his fury and give up on hunting you down. His influence is wide but not infinite, he will have to pivot his resources to other avenues once the item is in my possession."

    She then slowly opens the velvet bag and gently pushes it over to reveal its gilded contents.

    "Now, what say you, Gator? Are you and your illustrious partners open to delving deep and making some money on the way?"

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    At this point, Faber walks into the bar, and approaches the table Gator is sitting at.
    "Gator, this is our mysterious note leaver?"

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    The woman looks up at the pious Warforged scholar before her and stretches out a hand.

    "Elaydren d’Vown of House Cannith, eternally delighted to make your acquaintance."

    HuO8327.png?1

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler Registered User regular
    Gator turned their attention to the warforged. "I'm not sure if she's the one that left the note, Faber. But she just offered us a lead on how to get the Lord of Blades to leave us alone, and make some money while we're at it." The shifter looked back at the human. "Yeah, we're interested. So where do we start?"

  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited July 4
    jdarksun wrote: »
    The shifter looked back at the human. "Yeah, we're interested. So where do we start?"

    "Do you still have the professor's journal?"

    Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    The shifter looked back at the human. "Yeah, we're interested. So where do we start?"
    "Do you still have the professor's journal?"
    "Yeah, we've got it somewhere safe for now."

  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    The shifter looked back at the human. "Yeah, we're interested. So where do we start?"
    "Do you still have the professor's journal?"
    "Yeah, we've got it somewhere safe for now."

    "I hope it is near by, as we'll need it to recover the relic."

    She turns her gaze to the table with the Zed & Pierce.

    "I think it'd be best if we invite all your compatriots into this discussion now."

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited July 4
    After losing dreadfully at cards, Pierce's competitive nature drives her to challenge other bar patrons in order to prove her skill, oblivious to the conversations her compatriots have engaged in. Maybe she'll find out more about the Lord of Blades this way!

    OOC: Pierce plays at cards with other bar patrons in case anyone else has information relevant to the mission. I am also busy until the afternoon tomorrow and don't want to hold us up in RP, haha.

    Edit: whoops, just saw Zonny's post, we can work around that instead! Uncanny timing!

    Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited July 4
    Owenn had returned to Mason’s Tower with Faber, and the halfling was surprised—pleasantly—to see Gator talking to who Faber had immediately and correctly picked out as the client. Or rather, the potential client. ‘Not quite noon. Must’ve picked her out early.’

    Owenn looked around for Pierce, who normally prided herself on interfacing with clients. He found her, obviously nursing both a drink and, apparently, her losses. ‘Been there.’

    Seeing Faber join Gator, he was confident the pair could handle Ms…
    Zonugal wrote: »
    "Elaydren d’Vown of House Cannith, eternally delighted to make your acquaintance."
    They’d entered the Broken Anvil from an entrance behind Ms. d’Vown. ‘Let’s play observer this time,’ Owenn decided. Not his normal role, but life had given him lemons in terms of position. (And a subject who wasn’t hard on the eyes, either.) He sat down at a table behind her, but close enough to hear. He picked up a menu and pretended to read it, but instead, tried to read her. Not the best angle, sure, but tone of voice and body language could reveal a lie almost as well as a face.

    OOC:
    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Stealth
    Geth roll 1d20+2 for Insight

    Insight:
    1d20+2 5 [1d20=3]

    Sneaks on
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    Pierce, having begun roaming the bar in an attempt to cajole other patrons into playing a game of cards to rescue her wounded pride, was oblivious to her partners having gathered with a mysterious stranger. After losing at this, too, with multiple refusals even at the idea of parting this fool from her money, Pierce glances up and spots her partners engaged in deep conversation. Recalling their purpose, she strides across the bar, steps one foot in front of the other, and bows while tipping her hat in a smooth flourish to the new arrival.

    "Good day, my lady! We have awaited you! I am, as I am sure my partners have mentioned, the infamous duelist known as Pierce. How excellent to make your acquaintance!"

    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited July 4
    OOC: Guess Geth didn’t want to roll Stealth. Let’s try that again.
    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Stealth

    Stealth:
    1d20+5 24 [1d20=19]

    Sneaks on
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited July 4
    Sneaks wrote: »
    They’d entered the Broken Anvil from an entrance behind Ms. d’Vown. ‘Let’s play observer this time,’ Owenn decided. Not his normal role, but life had given him lemons in terms of position. (And a subject who wasn’t hard on the eyes, either.) He sat down at a table behind her, but close enough to hear. He picked up a menu and pretended to read it, but instead, tried to read her. Not the best angle, sure, but tone of voice and body language could reveal a lie almost as well as a face.

    While Owenn was as inconspicious as a spirit on the Astral Plane, he couldn't quite pick up anything from Ms. d’Vown. She had a pretty face, but who knew if she had a prettier soul...
    Cello wrote: »
    Pierce, having begun roaming the bar in an attempt to cajole other patrons into playing a game of cards to rescue her wounded pride, was oblivious to her partners having gathered with a mysterious stranger. After losing at this, too, with multiple refusals even at the idea of parting this fool from her money, Pierce glances up and spots her partners engaged in deep conversation. Recalling their purpose, she strides across the bar, steps one foot in front of the other, and bows while tipping her hat in a smooth flourish to the new arrival.

    "Good day, my lady! We have awaited you! I am, as I am sure my partners have mentioned, the infamous duelist known as Pierce. How excellent to make your acquaintance!"

    Elaydren d’Vown looked up at the Warforged duelist and shared a measured smile, "Oh I am confident it was on the tip of their tongues. The very next word to escape their maws. How could one ever hope to downplay you?"

    Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Cello
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited July 4
    Zonugal wrote: »
    The woman looks up at the pious Warforged scholar before her and stretches out a hand.

    "Elaydren d’Vown of House Cannith, eternally delighted to make your acquaintance."

    With a tilt of an imaginary cap, Faber half bows to d'Vown.
    "Indeed, a pleasure to make my acquaintance, I'm certain. I notice however, you did not answer my question."

    see317 on
    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
    Sneaks
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited July 4
    see317 wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    The woman looks up at the pious Warforged scholar before her and stretches out a hand.

    "Elaydren d’Vown of House Cannith, eternally delighted to make your acquaintance."

    With a tilt of an imaginary cap, Faber half bows to d'Vown.
    "Indeed, a pleasure to make my acquaintance, I'm certain. I notice however, you did not answer my question."

    "A question asked to your partner, not myself," Elaydren replies before nibbling her lip. "But yes. Your estimation is accurate."

    Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    edited July 4
    Zed gives a quick once over about the place, checking to see if there's anybody ... failing to look inconspicuous.

    OoC: I guess a Perception check to see if there's anybody trying to spy on the group or their guest? Then joining the others, with a slight look of confusion as to why everyone sat here, got up, and never came back. If Zed does notice anybody out of order, he'll keep walking past the group, offering nothing but a mildly annoyed snort, and continue out the front door of the tavern.
    Geth roll 1d20+2 for Perception (checking for spies)

    Perception (checking for spies):
    1d20+2 16 [1d20=14]

    Tox on
    BattleTech KS Thread! | Mech Trade List | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Zed gets a good sense of the tavern, but doesn't see anyone overtly suspicious.

    Just a lot of folks who want to bury their fears at the bottom of a beer glass.

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    Zed takes his seat next to the others with a nod, keeping an eye out for John but otherwise listening to what their new friend has to say.

    BattleTech KS Thread! | Mech Trade List | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited July 4
    Elaydren welcomes Zedaar to the table, "Oh my a Dragonborn too? Why your collective is diverse and mighty."

    Lady d’Vown takes a sip from her tea then addresses the entire table in a quieter tone.

    “I have been working with Provost Geldem, the man you so tragically met on the bridge last night, to recover a precious family heirloom,” Lady Elaydren explains. “We were to meet earlier tonight, but as you can imagine, he never made it. I learned from the City Watch what had transpired, and decided to orchestrate this meeting now.” She continues. “The heirloom, according to family legends, was locked away in a foundry that dates back to pre-Galifar Sharn. Poor Bonal believed he discovered the location of the foundry in an ancient House Cannith journal. I was going to fund an expedition to go to the site, but without Bonal . . .” Her voice trails off. Then she leans close. “Perhaps you would be willing to recover the heirloom for me. For a generous reward, of course.”

    Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    Zed nods to the human, and the others.

    "Well our," he paused to find exactly the word, " business manager normally handles such details. I've not seen him yet though." Turning to Faber he asks, "weren't you two together?"

    BattleTech KS Thread! | Mech Trade List | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Zed nods to the human, and the others.

    "Well our," he paused to find exactly the word, " business manager normally handles such details. I've not seen him yet though." Turning to Faber he asks, "weren't you two together?"

    "His conversation went long, and I didn't think my presence would have been conducive to a more informative discussion at that point. Figured I should get back here in time for the meeting, and maybe to sober up Pierce, if needed. Though, it looks like I was a few hours late for that second part.
    Owenn's friend says that he's heard the Lord's Warforged are in town, and they're hiring muscle already. Started yesterday. Rumor says they've already got a squad of Shifters signed on. They're not wasting time. I'd suggest we follow the lead: figure out our next step and take it."
    Faber turns to Lady Elaydren "I apologize for my bruskness, Some of us were built for social interaction..." A nod towards Pierce, trying to shake off the after affects of the mornings imbibances, or ordering another round, it's hard to tell in the noise of the bar "...And some of us were not."

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler Registered User regular
    "I'm sure I can convince Owenn, if he's not already convinced that this is the best path to turning the Lord of Blade's gaze elsewhere. The promise of a reward is sweet cream. So yeah, we'll find the heirloom. Where do we start?"

  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    "I'm sure I can convince Owenn, if he's not already convinced that this is the best path to turning the Lord of Blade's gaze elsewhere. The promise of a reward is sweet cream. So yeah, we'll find the heirloom. Where do we start?"

    "I'm afraid to begin we'll need the journal Bonal Geldem had in his possession. The Provost had discovered the location of a lost foundry deep within the Dorasharn Tower,” Lady Elaydren proclaims. "And sweet cream it'll be. I offer your collective unit one thousand gold pieces, and the good will of my house, if you recover the heirloom and return it to me.”

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited July 4
    “Your house,” Owenn offered casually, making his presence known to the others. “And what, might I ask, be your position in House Cannith, Lady Elaydren? Forgive my caution, but I’m a real nervous sort. Any case that begins with murder puts me on edge. Owenn Kemble. Charmed.

    “House Cannith has vast resources.” (Owenn spoke past his next thought, ‘Most war profiteers do,’ opting to save that barb for now.) “You made sure that note made it into the book; that means you had access to the book while we were guests of the Watch. Surely you could’ve just taken it yourself and funded your expedition even without Geldem. You’d even have a head start, since the trail the Lord of Blades is following still leads to us, not you. So why change your plans?”

    Owenn pivoted in his chair, standing upon the seat and leaning on the back so that he could face d’Vown and the others directly.

    “Forgive me for speculating, my Lady, but one feasible explanation is that—without Geldem—you are in no position to fund an expedition. That raises two potential issues where the Mason’s Tower Detective Agency is concerned: first, that—despite your noble poise, appealing down payment, and very charming manner—you may not actually be able to pay, and second, that you may not be who you say who are at all. Given the… sensitive nature of the case thus far, I think it’s reasonable to ask for a reference. Can you provide a name and location of someone who would vouch for you?”

    Sneaks on
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    "Oh, you snuck up on me there, Mister Kemble. Well aren't you a gaggle of questions, but, if it would sate your curiosity, I will entertain your inquisition. I, Lady Elaydren d’Vown of House Cannith, happen to be second cousins to Baron Jorlanna d’Cannith of the House Cannith installation within Fairhaven of Aundair . As to your line of questions regarding both House Cannith's resources & my own intentions as they relate to the acquisition of this relic, they are as baseless as they are uninformed. I had access to the journal this morning just like I have had loose access to it these past few weeks as the late Bonal Geldem was working in conjunction with me on this investigation. While I suppose I could have funded such a quest without Provost Geldem, that line of thinking is folly. Why would I choose to actively eliminate the expert who not only unearthed the location of the relic but would have been the best suited for its retrieval? As for calling into question my own finances, I won't have my wealth misjudged by the likes of you."

    Lady Elaydren d'Vown, visibly perturbed, turns back around to face Gator and the rest of the group. "Now, Gator, your antagonizing partner is right that I could certainly fund my own expedition, so perhaps you ought to remind your comrade to not spit in an open money purse?"

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited July 5
    “Oh, I’m sure he will, and I’m sure he’s not the only one,” replied Owenn, clearly not ready to be dismissed. “And I’ll remind them that entering into these sorts of arrangements without accurate information is an excellent way to get ourselves stiffed, or made into stiffs.

    “Speaking of which, I didn’t accuse you of killing Geldem or anybody else… In fact, I doubted it even before your spirited defense. But Mister Ferrarius was right, you do love to pirouette around a question or two: Why us?”

    Sneaks on
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    "Owenn, what a question! Why not us? With our reputation as heroes, and our valiant efforts in the road last night, I believe we've made clear our skillet is more than up to such a task! Where is your sense of adventure?"

    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    "Your luxurious associate is quite right. Why not you? You've clearly demonstrated you are battle-tested and, while it may seem tacky to others, I am not one to shy away from fate's hand. It would seem your group has been pushed towards this quest, by divine grace or simple happenstance."

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    “Well, far be it for me to argue with fate, and I apologize for the offense. As I said, cases beginning with murder demand a certain caution.” Owenn produced a sheet of parchment and began to write. “Does ‘Joralanna’ have two ‘n’s?”

  • ZonugalZonugal The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    "The same amount of n's as 'ignorant'."

    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Cello
Sign In or Register to comment.