As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D-5E] Eberron: Shadows of the Last War

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Battle-Command: If Zed is unable to move around him, John will ready another dart and fling it at Slayer (+5 to hit, 1d4+3 piercing damage)

Back-Up Battle Command: If Zed is able to effect a retreat, John will advance on Slayer and take a swing with his quarterstaff (+5 to hit, 1d6+3 bludgeoning damage), plus an unarmed strike (+5 to hit, 1d4+3 bludgeoning damage)

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Pierce snaps out of her shock and assesses the situation. Noting the closer enemies on the field, she orients herself and prepares to fight, wielding her rapier with a careful flourish in the cramped space.

Initiative +3?

Battle Command: As a bonus action, Pierce rings her new bell in Gator's direction, calling out "let this clarion call inspire you to defeat the enemy!" Bardic Inspiration, 1d6.

Pierce casts Blade Ward on herself as her main action.

If possible, Pierce will enter the hall and keep her distance from the enemy, preparing to rush them next turn.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Sharn Sewer Combat Round #2

Initiative Order
    #1. -- Owenn (+3) [21]
    #2. -- Faber (+0) [19]
    #3. -- Claw (+3) [15]
    #4. -- Gator (+3) [15]
    #5. -- Tooth (+3) [15]
    #6. -- Slayer (+3) [13]
    #7. -- John (+3) [12]
    #8. -- Pierce (+3) [11]
    #9. -- Zed (+2) [11]

"The Sewer Tide Turns"

With a burst of speed the Halfling sprints past John & Zed, dropping his shortbow while rolling underneath Slayer. Before the cloaked Warforge can manage to turn around, Owenn pulls out his rapier and stabs the Warforged through the head (9 dmg) .

Faber moves into the sewer tunnel and with one shift motion hurls a blast of radiant energy at Tooth, burning his shoulder (2 dmg) .

Claw finally engages with Gator, swinging both of his hand-axes. The first is wild, messy, without discipline. But sometimes all you need is quantity. The second hand-axe drives itself into Gator's torso (5 dmg) .

Gator screams out in pain, losing all focus from the sudden pain of a hand-axe in his chest.

Tooth hurls both of his daggers at Faber, in an act of pure inconsequential ramifications. The daggers bounce off Faber's artificial chassis with hardly a scratch.

As a precaution, not knowing the Warforged resiliency, John smacks the now dead Slayer with his quarterstaff. Its effective!

Within the entrance of the sewer tunnel, Faber & Gator both hear the small tune of a bell as Pierce enters their view. "Gator, may this bell ring true to your own valor and glory! *DING* With glowing hearts we see thee rise! *DING* Our true Shifter strong and free! *DING* From far and wide, Oh Gator, he stands on guard for thee! *DING*" Gator feels a well-spring of energy rise within him. Pierce then unlocks a chamber within her arm, revealing a few keyboard keys. She plays a series of keys in harmony that suddenly encase her body in a temporary magical field.

Zed moves backwards from the now dead Slayer, taking a moment to catch his breath as he is still wounded.

The sewage valve-grate (located in E-10) opens up, flooding that entire row with a powerful blast of sewage water. Tooth is knocked prone by the sudden blast.

FINAL ROUND PLACEMENT

TTLevuH.jpg
    OhD8Crb.jpg

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Battle-Command: Move to G11 to flank Claw and clear the tunnel entrance, attack with mace (+4 atk, 1d6+2 dmg)

Back-Up Battle Command: If Claw has already fallen, advance to H9, attack Tooth with Mace (with advantage if still prone) (+4 atk, 1d6+2 dmg)

With the death rattle of the ambushing Warforged fresh in the fetid sewer air, Faber turns to the remaining threats, hoping this can be ended quickly but hesitant to use his limited magic so early in the quest.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Battle-Command: Move to K14, Second Wind.
    Zed
    takes a few steps forward before dipping down on one knee. He steadies himself, then spits on his hand and rubs it into the wound on his shoulder.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Battle Command: If Pierce is able to get past Gator into the opening (I am also very open to an athletics check (+5) to hop over if the space isn't cleared), she will flank Claw and attack with her rapier (+5 to hit, 1d8+3 piercing)

Steam
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    OOC: Damn, did I miss a turn? I thought I had more time. Can I at least have dropped my bow and drawn a sword during the missed action?

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    OOC: Damn, did I miss a turn? I thought I had more time. Can I at least have dropped my bow and drawn a sword during the missed action?

Ya did indeed. While that round of combat is locked in, dropping your weapon & then retrieving another is effectively a free action, so this next round shouldn't be an issue for you attacking.

• Options
    Turning around to get an eye at the commotion out in the sewer main, John let out a sound of exasperation.

"And who are you two supposed to be?" He yells, "Not working with this one, were you?"

Battle-Command: John will attempt to nimbly make his way through the rest of the party to G11 and attack Claw with his quarterstaff (+5 to hit, 1d6+3 bludgeoning damage), along with an unarmed strike (+5 to hit, 1d4+3 bludgeoning damage)

Back-Up Battle Command: If Claw is possibly downed, John will instead move to H9 and target Tooth with quarterstaff (+5 to hit, 1d6+3 bludgeoning damage) and an unarmed strike (+5 to hit, 1d4+3 bludgeoning damage)

• Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    “Remember what happened with the last one!” Owenn called to any of his compatriots who cared to hear him. “It was able to report back after being killed.”

Initiative: 1d20+3 (reroll on a natural 1)

Battle Command: If a messenger periapt is already in flight from Slayer, Owenn will drop his rapier, scoop up his bow, and attempt to shoot it down.

Attack: 1d20+5 (reroll on a natural 1)
    Damage: 1d6+3 piercing

Backup Battle Command: If no messenger periapt has escaped from Slayer, Owenn will frantically begin searching for one on/in Slayer’s body starting with the chest and neck. If he finds one, he’ll attempt to break it with his rapier before it can take to the air.

Attack: 1d20+5 (reroll on a natural 1)
    Damage: 1d8+3 piercing plus another 1d6 if an ally is within 5 feet of the messenger periapt

Sneaks on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Ya did indeed. While that round of combat is locked in, dropping your weapon & then retrieving another is effectively a free action, so this next round shouldn't be an issue for you attacking.
    How much time do we have before our turn is skipped?

Battle Commands: I can't tell if Gator is engaged or not, so -
    Not engaged: Shoot an arrow at the nearest enemy
    Engaged: Drop bow, draw short sword, attack nearest enemy

jdarksun on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Also, I am implementing a haste mechanic for the game. If you don’t post within 12 hours of a DM’s post, I will move forward as if you had abstained from rolling/performing an action.

Sneaks on
  • Options
    OOC: could we maybe set standard times for turn completion? 9 am/9pm or something? That way we don't miss anybody.

No worries if that adds too much structure though!

Steam
  • Options
    Sneaks wrote: »
    Also, I am implementing a haste mechanic for the game. If you don’t post within 12 hours of a DM’s post, I will move forward as if you had abstained from rolling/performing an action.

I've been recently extending this even.

But, how about this?

-- If I post a combat round wrap-up or begin combat (basically, if I am asking you for Battle Commands) in the A.M. you have till 10 p.m. the same day to get in your Battle Commands.
    -- If I post a combat round wrap-up or begin combat (basically, if I am asking you for Battle Commands) in the P.M. you have till 10 a.m. of the next day to get in your Battle Commands.

• Options

I've been recently extending this even.

But, how about this?

-- If I post a combat round wrap-up or begin combat (basically, if I am asking you for Battle Commands) in the A.M. you have till 10 p.m. the same day to get in your Battle Commands.
    -- If I post a combat round wrap-up or begin combat (basically, if I am asking you for Battle Commands) in the P.M. you have till 10 a.m. of the next day to get in your Battle Commands.

OOC: sounds great to me!

Steam
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Sharn Sewer Combat Round #3

Initiative Order
    #1. -- John (+3) [23]
    #2. -- Gator (+3) [22]
    #3. -- Claw (+3) [21]
    #4. -- Owenn (+3) [19]
    #5. -- Pierce (+3) [14]
    #6. -- Zed (+2) [13]
    #7. -- Tooth (+3) [12]
    #8. -- Faber (+0) [5]

"HOW TO GET AHEAD IN BATTLE"

Rushing past Zed, Pierce, Gator, & Owenn in a burst of acrobatic prowess John Merchant smashes his quarterstaff against Claw's cranium (5 dmg), which he then followed up on with a karate chop to the Shifter's throat (7 dmg). Such a fury of pain startles the Shifter, who has had the wind knocked out of him and his throat nearly caved in.

Claw turns to his brother to scream, "Tooth! RETREAT! BROTHER! FLEE INTO THE SEWER!!!" Claw then returns his head to his foes, but his moment of discourse with Tooth cost him dearly. His eye met the grim sight of a short-sword immediately plunging itself deep into his head. While distracted, Gator dropped his longbow to grab one of his short-swords before sheathing it in Claw's brain case.

Meanwhile, back in the narrow staircase, Owenn scrambles to cut off Slayer's dark cloak. Seeing a familiar amulet built into the assassin's chest he raises his rapier and smashes the messenger periapt with his blade's pommel.

Rushing to aid her allies, Pierce sees that her blade's virtue is no longer needed as Gator's short-sword rests in the squirming Shifter's head.

Just watching a frantic performance by Owenn, Zed takes a few steps forward before dipping down on one knee. Steadying himself, the Dragonborn spits on his hand and rubs it into the wound on his shoulder (Zed is healed 9 hp).

An arrow was shot into his leg, his two throwing daggers did nothing against a pious construct, he was knocked prone by a blast of sewage water, and finally, Tooth had to watch in horror as his brother was grizzly dispatched. The Shifter struggles to get up before running 30 feet away.

The sewage valve-grate (located in K-11) opens up, flooding that entire row with a powerful blast of sewage water.

FINAL ROUND PLACEMENT

bZpK19B.jpg
    ENsT6KS.jpg?1

Zonugal on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Faber shouts over the roar of the water to the terrified Tooth: Wait! Stop! We don't want to kill any more than has already been necessitated. Return, surrender, and I promise you that you won't die in this darkness today...
    OoC: Assuming I roll well enough on Initiative to not be screaming at an arrow riddled corpse, Zonugal, my CHA skills are all at -1, please feel free to roll whichever one you think I'd fail best at.

Assuming I fail at convincing him to stop running after seeing his brother murdered in the sewers...
    Battle Command If the water stops before Tooth escapes/dies, charge and make a grapple attack (My Athletics opposed by targets Athletics/Acrobatics) to grapple target
    Backup Battle Command If I'm unable to engage Tooth directly, cast Sacred Flame at Tooth, requiring a DC13 Dex check, if failed inflicts 1d8 radiant damage

see317 on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Hopping to his feat with renewed vigor, Zed rejoins the fight

Battle Command: Move to (i3, i4, h3, h4; whichever square comes first in that order and is open, will not move to provoke an AoO); Zed launches an axe at the furthest standing shifter, rotating the axe in his hand at the last second, hoping to hit his target with the blunt side of the axehead (+5 vs AC; 1d6+3 non-lethal dmg)

Back-up Battle Command: If Zed's move puts him in melee, he will instead strike with both axes at his melee opponent (+5 vs AC x2; 1d6+3 Slash dmg, 1d6+1 Slash dmg)

Tox on
  • Options
    Battle-Command: John will try and catch up with Tooth and attack with his quarterstaff (+5 to hit, 1d6+3 bludgeoning damage), plus an unarmed strike (+5 to hit, 1d4+3 bludgeoning damage)

Back-Up Battle Command: If John is not able to close the distance with Tooth he will pull out a dart and fling it at him (+5 to hit, 1d4+3 piercing damage)

• Options
    edited July 2020
    "Did someone get that warforged's... flying... thing?" Gator couldn't remember what it was called, only that it should probably be destroyed. "Let's take the last one alive, if we can."

Battle Commands: If I have line of sight on an enemy, drop my short sword, pick up the bow, fire an arrow EDIT: non-lethally.
    If not, pick up my bow and give chase.

OOC
    Yikes, my bad. Thanks!

jdarksun on
  • Options
    Battle Command: Owenn sheathes his rapier, picks up his bow, and moves to F3.

• Options
    Y'all know you can elect to do non-lethal damage, right?

That there is no penalty for doing so.

• Options
    Battle Command: Pierce will chase after Tooth and try to do some nonlethal damage with her rapier (presumably slamming with the hilt). (Usually +5 to hit, 1d8+3 damage)

Steam
  • Options
    Y'all know you can elect to do non-lethal damage, right?

That there is no penalty for doing so.

OoC: I actually wasn't sure how to go about doing that if I wanted to!

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Sharn Sewer Combat Round #4

Initiative Order
    #1. -- Pierce (+3) [21]
    #2. -- Zed (+2) [20]
    #3. -- Tooth (+3) [19]
    #4. -- Owenn (+3) [15]
    #5. -- John (+3) [14]
    #6. -- Faber (+0) [14]
    #7. -- Gator (+3) [12]

"AGAINST A HARD WALL AND A SHARP KNIFE"

Pierce begins her chase after the wounded Shifter henchmen but there's too much distance spread between them for the gilded Warforged to catch up to Tooth in time.

Zed has a similar fate. Pushing past his comrades he tries to line up a safe throw towards the fleeing Shifter but the distance is too far for even his longest throws to even come close to hitting the scared minion.

Tooth summons any remaining energy he might possesses and spends his turn dashing down the down the rest of the sewer tunnels.

While the rest of you pursue, the 8th valve bursts forth a stream of gushing sewer water, knocking John & Faber prone.

Down the sewer tunnel, cursing begins. Any of you who know the Sylvan language can understand it:
    "OH, GOD DAMMIT! OPEN! OPEN, DAMN YOU! FUCK! FUCK!!!!!"

FINAL COMBAT PLACEMENT

VJj6o3R.png?1

Zonugal on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    "Anybody catch that?" Gator asked as they sprinted through the sewers.

Battle Commands: Get line of sight on Tooth if possible. If I have line of sight on an enemy and am within range, fire an arrow non-lethally (if possible).

jdarksun on
  • Options
    Heaving himself to his feet and clear of the stream of effluence, Faber gives chase down the sewer. He can't understand the sylvan words; but, like laughter, panicked swearing is a universal language.

OoC, even taking the dash action, I'm going to just clear the corner behind Tooth. No combat action. If talking is a free action, then try again to get Tooth to give up.

Faber: "Shifter, stop running. Drop any weapons you haven't already tried to murder me with, and surrender quietly. If you come with us willingly, I give my word you will not die in this darkness today."

• Options
    Battle Command: Owenn takes the dash action, making it as far as valve 4.

• Options
    Battle Command: John will stand up and take the Dash action to get as close to Tooth as possible.

"Come on, mate," John half-yells "We just wanna talk, that's all!"

• Options
    Battle Command: Pierce uses the dash action. If she somehow gets close enough, she'll tackle Tooth.

Steam
  • Options
    Battle Command: Zed follows his teammates, dashing forward to just behind Owenn and toward his side (so diagonally behind him)

• Options
    Anyone attempting to talk Tooth into surrendering and leaving peacefully, give me a Charisma (Persuasion) roll.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Geth, roll 1d20-1 for it's worth a shot (Persuasion)
    Edit: Clearly, being screamed at by a warforged in the sewers is not the comforting, trust building, experience I had hoped it would be.

it's worth a shot (Persuasion):
    1d20-1 4 [1d20=5]

see317 on
  • Options
    Faber's words, while potentially comforting, are drowned out by the grip of his artificial hand on his weapon.

Its a conflicted message and Tooth is having none of it.

• Options
    Geth, roll 1d20-1 for sure, why not? (Persuasion)

sure, why not? (Persuasion):
    1d20-1 4 [1d20=5]

• Options
    OoC, Geth, come on. We're trying to give the guy a chance here.

• Options
    Pierce calls out over the din, her metal joints lightly clanking to the rhythm of her dash, "Halt, Tooth! You'll face justice, by our words, or by my sword if you choose the coward's path!"

Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Persuasion

Persuasion:
    1d20+4 23 [1d20=19]

Steam
  • Options
    Sharn Sewer Combat Round #5

Initiative Order
    #6. -- Faber (+0) [20]
    #1. -- Pierce (+3) [18]
    #3. -- Tooth (+3) [18]
    #4. -- Owenn (+3) [18]
    #5. -- John (+3) [18]
    #7. -- Gator (+3) [18]
    #2. -- Zed (+2) [4]

"PEACE TALKS"

Faber clears the tunnel and sees a frantic Shifter banging against a circular metal hatch. The pious Warforged extends his hand and offers peace. "Shifter, stop running. Drop any weapons you haven't already tried to murder me with, and surrender quietly. If you come with us willingly, I give my word you will not die in this darkness today." But such a message is dispelled as Faber unconsciously grips his melee weapon tightly. Tooth doesn't trust the word of this constructable cleric.

What happens next...

All of the following happen at almost the exact same time:
    -- John Merchant tries where Faber failed, yelling "Come on, mate, we just wanna talk, that's all!" at the cut-throat.
    -- Gator detaches the arrowhead off one of his pieces of ammunition and launches it at Tooth. It strikes the Shifter in the throat (6 non-lethal dmg).
    -- Pierce, with much grace and finesse, hurls herself at Tooth, tackling him to the ground.
    -- Owenn dashes, reaching valve 4.

Zed makes it past the valves and now faces a fork in the tunnel.

Tooth is now unconscious, breathing hard from a damaged throat. But he's alive.

Ahead of you though lies a circular metal hatch, set into the tunnel wall and engraved with arcane runes. In the middle of the hatch, a glowing circle of mithral depicts a stylized anvil and hammer.

• Options
    Damn, @Cello, sorry you had to waste that 19 but I was going off your previous Battle Command.

• Options
    Damn, @Cello, sorry you had to waste that 19 but I was going off your previous Battle Command.

OOC: It's okay, pretend Pierce said all that very convincingly as she sailed through the air mid-tackle.

Steam