Updates on [SARS2/covid-19] (reboot)

1121314151618»

Posts

  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    The CDC position was most likely not evidence driven, given recently other events.

    A Trump ally (also linked to Russia) who has installed as the spokesman for the Department of Health and Human Services has been changing CDC reports to make them more aligned with whatever garbage Trump wants to hear including retroactively rewriting reports and blocking studies about the dangers of hydroxychloroquine. That official has openly stated that he's fighting the “ulterior deep state motives in the bowels” of the CDC. There are other installees doing similar work.

    The CDC is fully compromised, just like the FDA and most of the rest of the federal government. We can't trust what they say anymore.

    TicaldfjamJragghenRickRudethatassemblyguyKetarGiantGeek2020Commander ZoomTNTrooperMoridin889electricitylikesmeRingoLabelButterswebguy20DouglasDanger
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    https://www.statnews.com/2020/09/12/astrazeneca-covid19-vaccine-trial-resumes-uk/

    The astra trial has been given the green light to resume by the independent safety review board and has started dosing patients again in the UK.

    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    evilmrhenryExtreaminatusBlackDragon480OremLKLabelCaptain Inertia
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    The CDC position was most likely not evidence driven, given recently other events.

    A Trump ally (also linked to Russia) who has installed as the spokesman for the Department of Health and Human Services has been changing CDC reports to make them more aligned with whatever garbage Trump wants to hear including retroactively rewriting reports and blocking studies about the dangers of hydroxychloroquine. That official has openly stated that he's fighting the “ulterior deep state motives in the bowels” of the CDC. There are other installees doing similar work.

    The CDC is fully compromised, just like the FDA and most of the rest of the federal government. We can't trust what they say anymore.

    I was going to argue with this, until I looked up Dr Fauci, and was reminded he works for the NIH, not the CDC.

    But yeah, any political appointee of this Administration is presumed to be a partisan flunky, and if they're not, it's only by accident.

    This probably deserves to be one of those "unwritten rules" that needs to be codified into law (not that it matters for this panapoly of dipshits), that a political appointee to a specialized field needs some sort of defined experience in that field. Else, it defaults to the next person in the chain of command of the existing system. Especially in regards health, military, intelligence and diplomacy. The Vacancy Acts were created under the assumption noone would be this crass, stupid and corrupt. An assumption now proven incorrect.

    ForarGnome-InterruptuselectricitylikesmeSmrtnikMild Confusion
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    https://www.statnews.com/2020/09/12/astrazeneca-covid19-vaccine-trial-resumes-uk/

    The astra trial has been given the green light to resume by the independent safety review board and has started dosing patients again in the UK.

    What does this mean for why it was stopped or do we not know?

  • evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »
    https://www.statnews.com/2020/09/12/astrazeneca-covid19-vaccine-trial-resumes-uk/

    The astra trial has been given the green light to resume by the independent safety review board and has started dosing patients again in the UK.

    What does this mean for why it was stopped or do we not know?

    It presumably means that the (one) person who ended up in the hospital didn't get sick from the vaccine, or at least not for a reason that's worth stopping a vaccine over.

    FencingsaxkimeBlackDragon480Moridin889RickRudeHedgethorn
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »
    https://www.statnews.com/2020/09/12/astrazeneca-covid19-vaccine-trial-resumes-uk/

    The astra trial has been given the green light to resume by the independent safety review board and has started dosing patients again in the UK.

    What does this mean for why it was stopped or do we not know?

    It presumably means that the (one) person who ended up in the hospital didn't get sick from the vaccine, or at least not for a reason that's worth stopping a vaccine over.

    There are a wide variety of reasons, from "they got the placebo" to "turns out the diagnosis was wrong" to "patient didn't even actually exist" to "they were sick, but when we tested them we found they had bacteria X which is known to commonly do thing they were sick with" or even "we reviewed the illness and it was far more minor than reported"

    But, it seems unlikely we'll learn much more unless it comes up in the final published trial data which it probably won't if the review board says it was relatively unimportant.

    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    If you're trialling a vaccine with enough people, the odds are that someone's going to get sick of something that's not related to the virus or vaccine.
    But you have to make sure it's not related before you carry on, because the trials are about this kind of thing.

    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    FencingsaxOremLKGnome-InterruptusGiantGeek2020QuidAbsoluteZerokimeCommander ZoomTetraNitroCubaneTNTrooperLabelIncenjucarDevlin_DragonusHedgethornButtersMvrckDouglasDanger
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    Maybe someone better-informed can weigh in on this, but my understanding was, and it intuitively makes sense, that a lot of the time they won't ever know what caused the sudden unexpected health problem, and they can never entirely rule out that the vaccine was the cause. It's more that they're checking for evidence that it was caused by the vaccine, and once they've done their due diligence the best they can to rule that out, even if they still don't know the cause, they can proceed.

    Gnome-InterruptusStarZapperMayabirdMazzyxTastyfish
  • DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    The CDC position was most likely not evidence driven, given recently other events.

    A Trump ally (also linked to Russia) who has installed as the spokesman for the Department of Health and Human Services has been changing CDC reports to make them more aligned with whatever garbage Trump wants to hear including retroactively rewriting reports and blocking studies about the dangers of hydroxychloroquine. That official has openly stated that he's fighting the “ulterior deep state motives in the bowels” of the CDC. There are other installees doing similar work.

    The CDC is fully compromised, just like the FDA and most of the rest of the federal government. We can't trust what they say anymore.

    I was going to argue with this, until I looked up Dr Fauci, and was reminded he works for the NIH, not the CDC.

    But yeah, any political appointee of this Administration is presumed to be a partisan flunky, and if they're not, it's only by accident.

    This probably deserves to be one of those "unwritten rules" that needs to be codified into law (not that it matters for this panapoly of dipshits), that a political appointee to a specialized field needs some sort of defined experience in that field. Else, it defaults to the next person in the chain of command of the existing system. Especially in regards health, military, intelligence and diplomacy. The Vacancy Acts were created under the assumption noone would be this crass, stupid and corrupt. An assumption now proven incorrect.

    It's like that for DNI but Ratcliffe was still appointed. If they're willing to install a flunky, they're willing to say "yup, that sounds like enough experience to me!"

  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    OremLK wrote: »
    Maybe someone better-informed can weigh in on this, but my understanding was, and it intuitively makes sense, that a lot of the time they won't ever know what caused the sudden unexpected health problem, and they can never entirely rule out that the vaccine was the cause. It's more that they're checking for evidence that it was caused by the vaccine, and once they've done their due diligence the best they can to rule that out, even if they still don't know the cause, they can proceed.

    It depends on how severe the adverse event is, and how important the drug is, and on many factors. Typically they will want to find evidence of it being caused by something else, but you are correct that in the right balance of risk and benefit the trial can be allowed to continue simply with the absence of evidence.

    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    edited September 15
    Indonesia has long been understating the scale of its own coronavirus epidemic, with testing rates lower than freaking Mexico. But I guess it's all finally hit some kind of level of something, because in one district the fine for not wearing a face mask is digging the graves of people who died.

    Which...that's a pretty appropriate punishment and simultaneously an admission that things are way worse than are being publicly admitted, that there are so many extra deaths that the regular gravediggers can't handle it.

    Mayabird on
    IncenjucarFencingsaxGnome-InterruptuskimeTicaldfjamSmrtnikTeriferinBlackDragon480RickRudeRingoLabelKoopahTroopahGiantGeek202038thDoeMild ConfusionSleeppainfulPleasanceMvrckJragghen
  • JeanJean Papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    fuckkkkkkk....

    4 more regions were moved to yellow. The regions that were already yellow stays yellow for now but public health is warning us than some of them are ''very close to orange'' . Our amout of new daily cases is back to where it was in early June...

    Once a region hits orange, bars will be ordered to close and restaurants will be limited to take-out only.

    To quote our health minister tough ''Private parties are our biggest problem''

    I have to say tough, one thing I don't like about Québec's alert system is than the criterias for going from one stage to the next are not very clear. I wish it clearly stated for instance ''Once a region is above X cases per 100K population, it goes to yellow''

    Getting nervous here! :(

    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Jean wrote: »
    fuckkkkkkk....

    4 more regions were moved to yellow. The regions that were already yellow stays yellow for now but public health is warning us than some of them are ''very close to orange'' . Our amout of new daily cases is back to where it was in early June...

    Once a region hits orange, bars will be ordered to close and restaurants will be limited to take-out only.

    To quote our health minister tough ''Private parties are our biggest problem''

    I have to say tough, one thing I don't like about Québec's alert system is than the criterias for going from one stage to the next are not very clear. I wish it clearly stated for instance ''Once a region is above X cases per 100K population, it goes to yellow''

    Getting nervous here! :(

    Honestly while I agree with you that clear transition criteria are highly advantageous, the virus does exist and still has the same properties it did before. Until our screening and tracing abilities improve by another order of magnotude, we should expect to enter and exit high and low precaution stages wherever you are in the world. It is a good thing to see official action being taken before a catastrophic level of spread is reached. Prompt controls mean limited case numbers.

    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I guess one of the vaccines may have caused a condition that results in spinal cord issues and could lead to bring paralyzed. Don't think they're sure the vaccine caused it. I confused with medical talk.

    https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/15/health/covid-19-vaccine-trial-astrazeneca-nih-fda-kaiser/index.html

  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    I guess one of the vaccines may have caused a condition that results in spinal cord issues and could lead to bring paralyzed. Don't think they're sure the vaccine caused it. I confused with medical talk.

    https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/15/health/covid-19-vaccine-trial-astrazeneca-nih-fda-kaiser/index.html

    The UK has allowed the trial to resume after their preliminary investigation, so at the very least there's no obvious connection. Still, it's a strike against it and further investigation is happening.

    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    MorganV
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    RickRude wrote: »
    I guess one of the vaccines may have caused a condition that results in spinal cord issues and could lead to bring paralyzed. Don't think they're sure the vaccine caused it. I confused with medical talk.

    https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/15/health/covid-19-vaccine-trial-astrazeneca-nih-fda-kaiser/index.html

    The UK has allowed the trial to resume after their preliminary investigation, so at the very least there's no obvious connection. Still, it's a strike against it and further investigation is happening.

    And shows why these trials need the full battery of testing, and should not be rushed out because an orange toddler thinks it'll help his popularity in an approaching contest.

    That they even considered that it was the vaccine that was the cause of this condition shows that the people who know think it's even an option, should scare the piss out of anyone who thinks rushing it out the door is worth the risk.

    BlackDragon480RingoTicaldfjamCelestialBadgerJeanRickRudeToxSkeithForarGiantGeek2020OrcaPolaritieTNTrooperMoridin889painfulPleasanceFencingsaxJragghenEinzel
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Russia's official COVID-19 death count as of today: a bit under 19,000.
    Russia's official stance on COVID-19 deaths: We're just so damn awesome that we've kept deaths way lower than the rest of you losers.
    Russia's excess deaths as of July: 57,800, around the same scale as the UK's excess deaths, without including the last month and a half.

    Don't come in here and bleat about "well actually proportional to the population-" It's about the cover-up and you know it.

    dispatch.oGiantGeek2020OrcaShadowfireMild ConfusionSkeithKoopahTroopahCommander ZoomGilgaronFencingsax
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »
    RickRude wrote: »
    I guess one of the vaccines may have caused a condition that results in spinal cord issues and could lead to bring paralyzed. Don't think they're sure the vaccine caused it. I confused with medical talk.

    https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/15/health/covid-19-vaccine-trial-astrazeneca-nih-fda-kaiser/index.html

    The UK has allowed the trial to resume after their preliminary investigation, so at the very least there's no obvious connection. Still, it's a strike against it and further investigation is happening.

    And shows why these trials need the full battery of testing, and should not be rushed out because an orange toddler thinks it'll help his popularity in an approaching contest.

    That they even considered that it was the vaccine that was the cause of this condition shows that the people who know think it's even an option, should scare the piss out of anyone who thinks rushing it out the door is worth the risk.

    This happened in someone given the vaccine on a trial, that means they consider that it could be the vaccine that did it. There wasn't a committee discussing the possible mechanisms of action that decided that the vaccine could be a potential culprit and then the trial was put on hold, it's the opposite - the adverse event was reported, and it was serious enough that the trial was paused whilst said committee got together to discuss whether the vaccine might be responsible.

    They thought it wasn't and so the trial continues.

    TetraNitroCubaneMorganVklemmingDaenris
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Yeah, incidents like this will actually get me to have more faith in the vaccine when/if it finishes the trials.
    Compared to the inevitable Trump Vaccine I'd put money on being 'cleared' by late October.

    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    People who are both assholes and idiots: It's okay if people die from the pandemic because there will be a big baby boom from the disaster that will make up for it!

    Reality: A dramatic, worldwide increase in stillbirths, ranging from 50% to 4x previous levels, due to lack of prenatal care (and probably stress too). And those numbers are probably undercounts too. There are not baby booms after long, sustained disasters.

Sign In or Register to comment.