As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Updates on [SARS2/covid-19] (reboot)

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    There is also a ton of fur still used by the non-rich in near Arctic countries. It is warmer and lasts longer than all but the most expensive synthetics.

And they're not wearing factory farmed mink coats which are a luxury item of the braggart asshole rich and the issue here. Speaking of, Six countries have now reported COVID-19 in mink farms: the Netherlands, Denmark, Spain, the US, and also Italy and Sweden. Again, it's unlikely Poland will be reporting outbreaks even when they inevitably occur (if they haven't already) due to the aforementioned "almost brought down their government" issue, and I see nothing indicating the latter three countries are doing any culls.

Denmark will be testing 280,000 in North Jutland over the next couple weeks to see if the Cluster 5 mutation, that specific one from mink we were talking about before, had broken into the general population.

On a different note, doctors found a woman who was asymptomatic for COVID-19 but was shedding infectious SARS2 for over 70 days. She is a leukemia patient and needed two infusions of antibody plasma to finally shake the virus, but it shows how reservoirs of the virus can still exist even after a long lockdown.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular

While this is true, that number apparently came from a reporting backlog not so much a single days numbers. Oklahoma still ain't OK though.

• Options
    Update on the Slovakian weekend testing: yeah, it held steady at very slightly over 1% of the population testing positive. Now we wait to see how things shake out from quarantining that 1% and their families.

On a weird note, 10% of (the state of) georgia's probate judges have gotten COVID-19, with a fifth of those infected dying. They tend to run older, have high exposure to the public, and this is me just guessing but since a lot of them are rural I'm assuming a whole bunch of them weren't having anything to do with mask-wearing or other precautions.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    So it's Sunday, which is typically the day with the lowest reported infection rates for various reasons. So how is the USA doing? That's right, we are over 100k reported new cases with still a little time left on the clock before Worlodmeter's day rolls over. So yeah, forget being at 200k a day by Thanksgiving, we might be at 200k a day THIS WEEK.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    https://www.ft.com/content/9bde4bff-acf0-4c2a-a0d0-5ed597186496

The Biontech/Pfizer vaccine supposedly has a 90% efficiency in its stage 3 trial for at least 28 days after vaccination and the companies want to apply for approval this month.

Although as someone not knowing anything about drug trials, 94 participants in the stage 3 trial doesn't seem lake that many?

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    honovere wrote: »

The Biontech/Pfizer vaccine supposedly has a 90% efficiency in its stage 3 trial for at least 28 days after vaccination and the companies want to apply for approval this month.

Although as someone not knowing anything about drug trials, 94 participants in the stage 3 trial doesn't seem lake that many?

There are a lot of unknowns with this vaccine, despite the good news. How long will the immunity last? What about the mutated strains we've been seeing? This trial isn't yet peer reviewed. And beyond that, it's an mRNA vaccine, so I'm not exactly sure what production and logistics challenges that presents.

And yeah, 94 participants in a phase three trial is... minimal... at best. At least by my experience. I'm used to seeing at least several hundred, if not a thousand, individuals enrolled in a phase 3 trial. But a disclaimer that's just my experience, and it's with small molecules rather than biologics. Edit: Whoop - actually, there are 43,000 participants. Much more representative!

That being said, if what they're seeing is borne out via peer review, this is still promising. Even if the immunity imparted is only temporary, it could provide tremendous relief.

Once again, and as always, we need to collect and scrutinize more data. But it's a nice glimmer of hope.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    There are more than 43,000 participants. This is fantastic news, much better than was expected. The 94 number are the number of infected, more than 90% of which are in the placebo group.

Expect the stock market to go bonkers today. Your 401K will be happy.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    That low number is probably because of the dripfeed on test results that was allowed under special rules. It should materialize into either a good number or a bad number pretty soon. They need to finish up the similar procedure for all 50k recipients, which is another 6 weeks I'd guess.

I agree on "how long does the immunity last" we'll have to see. But even if this is yearly jabs we'll still be able to work with that.

And this isn't the only vaccine in the pipeline, this is avoiding the worst case scenario of "none of the vaccines work well"

Of course I also want to know who the 10% are, because if it's the elderly it still creates a real ethical conundrum.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    That low number is probably because of the dripfeed on test results that was allowed under special rules. It should materialize into either a good number or a bad number pretty soon. They need to finish up the similar procedure for all 50k recipients, which is another 6 weeks I'd guess.

I agree on "how long does the immunity last" we'll have to see. But even if this is yearly jabs we'll still be able to work with that.

And this isn't the only vaccine in the pipeline, this is avoiding the worst case scenario of "none of the vaccines work well"

Of course I also want to know who the 10% are, because if it's the elderly it still creates a real ethical conundrum.

If we can give a vaccine to medical staff and teachers/students alone that would go a long way towards making society function properly.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular

If we can give a vaccine to medical staff and teachers/students alone that would go a long way towards making society function properly.

This is also where having an adult in charge really helps the USA. No grift on the early distribution.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular

The really, really good thing with this vaccine - if it is as effective as the manufacturers are claiming - is that if enough people actually agree to be immunized, the 10% for whom the vaccine doesn't work will actually benefit from legitimate herd immunity.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

The elderly need it before kids because it’s them falling gravely ill in such large numbers that the hospitals can’t cope.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited November 2020

The really, really good thing with this vaccine - if it is as effective as the manufacturers are claiming - is that if enough people actually agree to be immunized, the 10% for whom the vaccine doesn't work will actually benefit from legitimate herd immunity.

In addition, if the 90% holds, then the vaccine is good enough that even if you are unfortunate enough to live in an area populated by aproximately 120 million fools and vaccine deniers that those who are wise enough to take the vaccine will still get a significant amount of protection, sufficient to place them at the same level of risk they face each year from (for example) the fact that flu exists.

If the virus has a 0.5% risk of mortality and a 1% risk of other serious long term complications, and 70% of society must catch it. The existance of the vaccine, even taken by 30% of society, means that only 53% of people have to 'catch it' (1/2 risk of catching it) and if you take the vaccine you now have an only 5% chance of catching the virus, meaning your risk of death or serious injury from the fact it exists falls to 0.025% and 0.05% for long term injury. Which means, for the vaccinated group, even if it does nothing to ammeliorate viral severity if you do catch it, you can probably return to your everyday life to a great extent.

If its truly this good, this is utterly glorious news. It makes SO many tough questions so much easier. It's probably good enough that we don't have to force people to take it. Its probaby good enough that most healthcare personnel only need basic PPE and so on. I had hoped for north of 60%. Better than 90% is a god damn miracle.

Edit - The only truly bad news here is that this is one of the ones which is really hard to store and ship, but, as a counter to that its really EASY to update and produce, and you need very little of it to give the injection.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options

The elderly need it before kids because it’s them falling gravely ill in such large numbers that the hospitals can’t cope.

The order is (in a sensible world, and this is what I've seen from most places)

0) Vaccine manufacturers and vaccine delivery teams
    1) Healthcare personnel
    2) The elderly up to a certain age, depending on how far along in age the vaccine still works and those at a very high level of risk (cancer patients etc)
    3) Those who work with the elderly, regardless of age
    4) First responders of other types
    5) Those in other risk groups
    6) Those who work with children
    7) The Military
    8) The general public

• Options
    I think I’d swap 3 and 2. The elderly can remain isolated but their carers cannot.

• Options
    I think I’d swap 3 and 2. The elderly can remain isolated but their carers cannot.

As would I, but, most lists I've seen put the elderly ahead of those caring for the elderly.

Let us hope we can soon bicker over the trivialities of specific details of vaccine delivery in earnest!

• Options
    Let us all fall to our knees and pray that in 4 months time TetraNitroCubane and I are furiously arguing over the moral merits of vaccinating those who love in regions with population densities above 50 per sq mile but with good hospitals vs those who live in regions with lower densities but worse hospitals. Or whether or not we should allow the temporary use of older low temperature refrigerants with worse greenhouse gas properties.

Oh for a return to the bickering of the good old days here on PA.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Kind of a weird aside, but how are they defining "COVID-19 cases"? Do you have to have developed symptoms in order to be a case, or is any infection with SARS-COV-2 considered a case?

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    Kind of a weird aside, but how are they defining "COVID-19 cases"? Do you have to have developed symptoms in order to be a case, or is any infection with SARS-COV-2 considered a case?

They have no more data from the review board other than the number of people with symptomatic covid and the estimated minimum effacacy at preventing symptomatic covid. No data more than that. Only the independant safety review board has seen it, not anyone at Pfizer or anywhere else.

So, we can be very confident that this vaccine is strongly effective at preventing symptomatic Covid. It quite possibly does more, as there are very few to no examples of vaccines which only prevent symptomatic disease very effectively but do nothing to transmission or symptom reduction in those who do become sick. But, it doesn't mean that it is impossible that it doesn't do more. Still, even if it just prevents symptoms in 90% of cases, thats a huge hammer.

Edit - We do know there have been no reported serious adverse events up to this point in any part of the Pfizer trial.

tbloxham on
  • Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    So wait. If they're not part of operation warp speed, then does that mean they haven't started mass production yet? Wasn't a big part of warp speed starting to manufacture millions of doses before approvals?

• Options
    asurasur Registered User regular
    notya wrote: »
    So wait. If they're not part of operation warp speed, then does that mean they haven't started mass production yet? Wasn't a big part of warp speed starting to manufacture millions of doses before approvals?

It's part of Warp Speed in that the US has a deal with Pfizer for 100 million doses at $1.95 billion, however Pfizer didn't take any money for R&D.

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    I don't know much of the detail of manufacturing mRNA vaccines, but traditional flu vaccine is grown up in eggs and one of the driving reasons to support mRNA tech has always been to get away from that sort of thing because it is slower, hard to scale, and in an avian flu pandemic situation we'd end up culling lots of chickens. So, while it may still be X months, this is the ideal type of vaccine for rapid manufacturing because it was invented with that end goal in mind.

• Options
    asur wrote: »

It's part of Warp Speed in that the US has a deal with Pfizer for 100 million doses at $1.95 billion, however Pfizer didn't take any money for R&D.

In addition, they have been telling warp speed about what their vaccine needs for transit etc, they just don't have any additional support etc from the US government.

The US government has pre purchased doses, but Pfizer handled all the production ramping and R&D.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    The best paintbrushes use Sable hair, and I've always hoped they just kind shave them rather than kill them for it...

They aren't shaving the weasels.

I feel like "shaving the weasel" must be some kind of metaphor somewhere... :D

Also, we have fucked things up royally here in the Vancouver area, so we're into a two week sort of lockdown. They fucked up the announcement with unclear messaging on Friday that they've now clarified.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support/lower-mainland

No socializing or meeting with people outside your household, except for those who live alone. Most indoor sports banned. Party Busses/Limos shut down (why in gods name they were even open is another question!). No travel in or out of the area except for essential purposes.

Gonna suck when this gets extended and my kid can't see his cousins for Christmas, but it is what it is. I'll take that over my elderly mother getting sick.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »

As would I, but, most lists I've seen put the elderly ahead of those caring for the elderly.

Let us hope we can soon bicker over the trivialities of specific details of vaccine delivery in earnest!

Probably because if the care giver is not already a healthcare worker, they probably are not caring for multiple elderly at once. In that case, the size of that elderly group and care giver group are roughly equal, so you'd want to prioritize the more vulnerable of the two groups.

If it were a nursing home situation where a single nurse could infect multiple patients (and so you don't lose access to the nurse's ability to work in general), then you want to prioritize the nurse.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    I don't know much of the detail of manufacturing mRNA vaccines, but traditional flu vaccine is grown up in eggs and one of the driving reasons to support mRNA tech has always been to get away from that sort of thing because it is slower, hard to scale, and in an avian flu pandemic situation we'd end up culling lots of chickens. So, while it may still be X months, this is the ideal type of vaccine for rapid manufacturing because it was invented with that end goal in mind.

This also has the advantage of being the sort of vaccine which was technically first 'invented' in the lab a few weeks after the virus had its RNA sequence produced. If these sort of vaccines are truly effective, they would also be hugely powerful against flu and many other viruses. With scaled production for example, you could produce an mRNA vaccine for the locally dominant flu variant, and just continually update it as the virus attempted to mutate out from under it. Effectively the bioreactors can just go and go, making the best targetted vaccine which can update far more rapidly.

Once you, for example, know the right immunity markers and potential safety markers you might be able to pivot these vaccines on a dime. They could be truly transformational.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Sorry, wrong thread

Chiselphane on
  • Options
    Total official worldwide cases have passed 50,000,000, with over 10,000,000 total official cases in the US. Yes I wrote out the numbers as emphasis, because these are big numbers and should be treated as such.

Also Poland just cracked a 50% positivity rate.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular

Dangit, I thought I had stocks in Pfizer but it turns out I accidentally bought stocks in Pfizer Total Landscaping.

broken image link
  • Options

Dangit, I thought I had stocks in Pfizer but it turns out I accidentally bought stocks in Pfizer Total Landscaping.

I bought stock in Tizer. :(

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Surprisingly utterly nobody, Deborah Birx has not been approached by Biden and his incoming team to be a part of their coronavirus task force. After she cravenly gave into numerous stupid aspects of this administration and failed to push back on Trump during the farcical bleach injection moment, she deserves to be demoted. Unlike some people, I wouldn't even hire her to scrub a toilet - she goes into the bin.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Surprisingly utterly nobody, Deborah Birx has not been approached by Biden and his incoming team to be a part of their coronavirus task force. After she cravenly gave into numerous stupid aspects of this administration and failed to push back on Trump during the farcical bleach injection moment, she deserves to be demoted. Unlike some people, I wouldn't even hire her to scrub a toilet - she goes into the bin.

Gonna disagree with the firing. She appears to be quite qualified in her field.

She should absolutely be demoted, and not in any way be on a public-facing position. She got a lot more pressure, probably more than Fauci, likely because she's a woman, and Trump fucking hates that. But if she wants to continue to work within those constraints, I don't see why she should be shitcanned. You shouldn't get rid of expertise out of spite.

Now, if she'd been an active cheerleader for this Administration (Scott Atlas, etc), then yeah, that's a different story.

• Options
    I’m sure there are plenty of doctors as qualified as Birx without her issues with loyalty to the Republican Party over science.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »

Gonna disagree with the firing. She appears to be quite qualified in her field.

She should absolutely be demoted, and not in any way be on a public-facing position. She got a lot more pressure, probably more than Fauci, likely because she's a woman, and Trump fucking hates that. But if she wants to continue to work within those constraints, I don't see why she should be shitcanned. You shouldn't get rid of expertise out of spite.

Now, if she'd been an active cheerleader for this Administration (Scott Atlas, etc), then yeah, that's a different story.

She was. She is part of the group that killed 230k and counting out of loyalty to Donald Trump. She has to go.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Eric Feigl-Ding
    @DrEricDing
    ·
    6h
    BREAKING—20% of recovering #COVID19 patients develop mental illness within 90 days, says large US study. Increased *first-time diagnosis* of anxiety, depression & insomnia by 2-fold! And researchers also found significantly higher risks of dementia. 🧵

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-mental-illness-int-idUSKBN27P35N

Yipes

poo
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Not particularly surpising, IIRC you see the same thing with many severe and life threatening health problems.

Anything that put heavy stress on the body increases dementia risk, and depression/anxiety/ptsd are not uncommon following heart attacks, cancer treatment, etc, even when there is no obvious physical impact on the brain.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    it is extremely heartening to hear news of actual vaccines now (rather than being things happening some time in the future)

because things could be going better here in Norway. So it's a good time for good news, and being reminded that this has an end.

1xZa9Ij.png
    (new cases per day)

but also a lot worse - it's not actually worse than in spring yet. Estimates are that in spring we caught about 1 in 10 infections in testing, now it's estimated to be around 4 in 10.

But that graph is really pointing the wrong way and there is no way that our measures will be as effective as this spring, so, again, it's a good time to be hearing about vaccines becoming reality.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Not particularly surpising, IIRC you see the same thing with many severe and life threatening health problems.

Anything that put heavy stress on the body increases dementia risk, and depression/anxiety/ptsd are not uncommon following heart attacks, cancer treatment, etc, even when there is no obvious physical impact on the brain.

I might also dare to comment that right now may not be the easiest time to remove external factors which might cause people to be developing anxiety, depression and insomnia at a higher rate than compared to a normal cadre of people at a normal time!

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »

I might also dare to comment that right now may not be the easiest time to remove external factors which might cause people to be developing anxiety, depression and insomnia at a higher rate than compared to a normal cadre of people at a normal time!

From the article:
    In the three months following testing positive for COVID-19, 1 in 5 survivors were recorded as having a first time diagnosis of anxiety, depression or insomnia. This was about twice as likely as for other groups of patients in the same period, the researchers said.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!