As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Path of Exile] Sentinel League starts 05/13. Pokebots and uber bosses!

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure I'm settled on a Hexblast ignite Trickster for league starter. Hexblast as a single target spell running ignite proliferate for map clear oughta be fine. I'm not sure which curse is better to "keep on" my target(s) between TC and Flammability, since one will be my Doom stacker and the other will just be the intended curse. I have to imagine not consuming Flammability is better to keep my chance to ignite higher.

Also I have no idea if my ignite duration will be snapshotted as if the target currently has Temp Chains if I consume said Temp Chains to Hexblast the fucker.

Community fork POB if anyone wants to borrow off it or give me any feedback. I have to use some suboptimal choices in the POB itself since Hexblast isn't in yet.

https://pastebin.com/kXeWn0iL

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    also haha wtf

Controlled Destruction Support Default Supported Skills deal 10% increased Spell Damage
    Alternate Quality 1 Supported Skills have 60% reduced Critical Strike Chance
    Supported Skills have 10% chance to Freeze, Shock and Ignite
    Alternate Quality 2 Supported Skills have 10% chance for Damage with Hits to be Lucky

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    u get 100 flat phys from high curse effect high level poachers mark

facebreaker occultist baby

some qualities add to doom cap eg conductivity alternate

so 45 highest doom i can see so far

80% lightning -> chaos on crackling lance with voltaxic

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    the biggest problem with the story, aside from it being boring as shit, is that most builds are not complete until a10+ and there are very few worthwhile drops

the game doesn't really start for most people until they get to maps, because they straight up can't play their completed build until then, and that sucks shit

That's a chicken/egg problem though. You don't have to design your build to only be complete post maps. I can give you several that are great as soon as you get your first ascendancy, and there are some that are great even before that (ED/contagion). A good build will continue to scale into end game, but it's not necessary to have a build that completely sucks until you get your 4th ascendancy or are level 80+. The build makers are making the conscious decision to just zombie their way through the story, suck it up, and get to maps to realize their concept.

There are a ton of builds that fit that description! But it's not an absolute. You're choosing builds that are only complete post maps -- you don't have to do that. The entire concept of a "league starter build" is that it doesn't suck to get through the story and early maps with that build, and there are lots of them! Even calling a build "complete" is a matter of perspective for lots of builds. I've played several vortex builds where the guide maker doesn't consider it complete until you have a freaking Atziri's Mirror. I can confirm you absolutely do not need an Atziri's mirror -- you need one to be the ultimate meta pro master who laughs at all of your friends. To someone who plays only for the end game and grinding maxxxx currency, it makes sense to say you need that to complete it. To someone who just wants to do well in the league, and be able to do a majority of content without spending 300 hours on one character, it's absurd overkill.

"Several" builds being good at or after first ascendancy doesn't mean much when there are millions (if not more) of possible builds. Like, you aren't going to go low life while leveling, or go CI.

Personally though, from 2nd build on, I just use poet's pens and possibly spellslinger to level with till I get to my actual build. Because frost bolt / ice nova will carry any build to maps in that setup, and you can spec the entire time for your real build.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Earthquake: Increases and reductions to Spell Damage also apply to Attack Damage fromt his Skill.

blade skills getting impale on spells rules
    fireball can do 60% inc effect scorches
    flame surge can get 10% chance to scorch, which, as it cant ignite, means suddenly its acting as a debuffer in a setup

frenzy getting just flat +1 projectile... lol but also cool

generals cry getting 40% move speed on the mirage warriors was essential but not enough to not make it crap

hatred 20% move speed on chilled ground, arctic armour, wooo

10% chance to freeze buff on herald of ice is absolutely crazy for clear

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Heffling wrote: »
    Fiatil wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    the biggest problem with the story, aside from it being boring as shit, is that most builds are not complete until a10+ and there are very few worthwhile drops

the game doesn't really start for most people until they get to maps, because they straight up can't play their completed build until then, and that sucks shit

That's a chicken/egg problem though. You don't have to design your build to only be complete post maps. I can give you several that are great as soon as you get your first ascendancy, and there are some that are great even before that (ED/contagion). A good build will continue to scale into end game, but it's not necessary to have a build that completely sucks until you get your 4th ascendancy or are level 80+. The build makers are making the conscious decision to just zombie their way through the story, suck it up, and get to maps to realize their concept.

There are a ton of builds that fit that description! But it's not an absolute. You're choosing builds that are only complete post maps -- you don't have to do that. The entire concept of a "league starter build" is that it doesn't suck to get through the story and early maps with that build, and there are lots of them! Even calling a build "complete" is a matter of perspective for lots of builds. I've played several vortex builds where the guide maker doesn't consider it complete until you have a freaking Atziri's Mirror. I can confirm you absolutely do not need an Atziri's mirror -- you need one to be the ultimate meta pro master who laughs at all of your friends. To someone who plays only for the end game and grinding maxxxx currency, it makes sense to say you need that to complete it. To someone who just wants to do well in the league, and be able to do a majority of content without spending 300 hours on one character, it's absurd overkill.

"Several" builds being good at or after first ascendancy doesn't mean much when there are millions (if not more) of possible builds. Like, you aren't going to go low life while leveling, or go CI.

Personally though, from 2nd build on, I just use poet's pens and possibly spellslinger to level with till I get to my actual build. Because frost bolt / ice nova will carry any build to maps in that setup, and you can spec the entire time for your real build.

I agree! I'm having this discussion in the context of a new player feeling like every build requires maps to be "the beginning" of their builds (see post last page). I am saying that it is not correct, and people throwing that around are people who have played lots of builds and already know what their favorite builds are. I wouldn't hit too hard on your "several vs. millions" comparison though -- I said several because I can pull 5 or 6 right now. It's more like tens of thousands if you're quantifying the "builds that suck until after maps" in the millions.

Are there tons of builds that are built exclusively to be good at level 70+ and suck until then? Yes! Do you have to pick one of those for your first build, or your second build when you're just trying to make it through the story for the first time? No, and I think doing so greatly increases the chance of you not having fun with Path of Exile, and you never getting to maps in the first place. That's how I finally broke through in PoE -- I finally started looking up cheap league starters, and it increased my enjoyment tremendously when I was still at the level of "looking at the passive tree feels like staring into the abyss".

Path of Exile is a very intimidating game, but there are steps to make it less so. I do think the story is a big ol grind now, because I've played through it like 100 times. I don't think it has to be for a new player, because it wasn't for me as a new player. I understand why veteran players feel that way, but I don't think the idea that "it's all a pointless grind until you get to maps" is necessary for everyone. When I introduce a friend to PoE, I'm definitely not going to say "Alright the story is super dumb and terrible and we have 12 hours of blahhh before we get to the real game". Most of my friends never get to maps, and we have a lot of fun together. I'm not lying to them, I'm just not being needlessly negative and putting my 3000 hours of being bored with the story on them. It's simple and effective.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Indigon Earthquake? Literally smacking people with our 5heads?

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Even if you're doing a cheap league starter you're still going to want a leveling build. I love summoners and they can kill god in blue gear, but I'm sure not doing 0-70 with Zombies and Spectres in a 3L when literally any spell will do it faster and less painfully.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Raise Spectre Default 20% increased Minion Movement Speed
    Alternate Quality 1 20% increased Minion Maximum Life
    Minions deal 20% increased Melee Damage
    Alternate Quality 2 Minions have 10% reduced Enemy Stun Threshold
    Alternate Quality 3 Minions are Created with maximum Frenzy Charges

all of these own and have very good specific uses

aq1 for melee spectres
    aq2 for stun meme builds like i have done in da past
    aq3 for souls wick mothers embrace powerslam builds

also 2% chance for "forgotten corpse" what the fuck is that

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Infernal Army/Elemental Army skeletons is better for leveling than zombies.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Yilias wrote: »
    Even if you're doing a cheap league starter you're still going to want a leveling build. I love summoners and they can kill god in blue gear, but I'm sure not doing 0-70 with Zombies and Spectres in a 3L when literally any spell will do it faster and less painfully.

Sure! Nothing wrong with switching around. Spectres in particular I would definitely not want to level with, despite it being a solid league starter. I was probably describing "league starter" and "leveling build" as too close to the same thing, when they aren't necessarily. I do think any good league starter guide will tell you the leveling build to use alongside it, though, if the "league starter" part isn't something that comes until later on. I definitely wouldn't give my newbie friends a "league starter" guide that doesn't have a good leveling section.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    wait

that fucking sword says "they deal triple damage with this weapon if u have hit recently"

note that if this wording is saying what it would usually imply by this viz that they are doing 200% more with their weapon melee, this means that if u say had a flat 1k added lightning from smite they would be doing triple with that too. its an added damage scaling fiesta

and also u can just rallying cry to give them the weapon again

rejuve totem + new vitality is an easy 500 flat life regen. on a zo character thats very handy for near zero investment (2 gem slots and 233 mana reserved)

20% chance to gain onslaught on hit for riposte looks bad until u realise u can support it with melee splash and so its hits packs

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    I love the idea of a summoner that gets into the shit with their minions and bashes things. That sword is litty. You could do some weird COC bullshit with smite/summon skeletons/dark pact, Minion Instability with Victario's Charity on a Guardian and have constantly spawning and dying skeletons with a bunch of charges and Onslaught that are doing tons of chaos damage on death and with DP and hitting for a babillion lightning damage. I wonder if there's a way to squeeze Envy into that.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    +2 chains on shrapnel ballista is an absolutely insane bonus just for quality

siege ballista 20% reduced attack speed for +2 proj is crazy good

smite gets 20% duration or 5% attack and cast on aura both are good

SPARK GETS 40% LIGHTNING TO CHAOS VOLTAXIC SPARK IS FINALLY USABLE AGAIN

"splitting steel: grants minions 40% increased damage"

???????? i assume this means "enemies impaled by this skill take 40% increased damage from minion attacks?"

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    "oh wow what lame boring patch notes, hardly any changes"

*literally 900 fucking new gems*

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    +2 chains on shrapnel ballista is an absolutely insane bonus just for quality

siege ballista 20% reduced attack speed for +2 proj is crazy good

smite gets 20% duration or 5% attack and cast on aura both are good

SPARK GETS 40% LIGHTNING TO CHAOS VOLTAXIC SPARK IS FINALLY USABLE AGAIN

I'm super planning on making a ballista character in POE2 and that alt quality gem really brings Shrap Ballista to the forefront.

• Options
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    "oh wow what lame boring patch notes, hardly any changes"

*literally 900 fucking new gems*

and the 90 alternative uniques + 25 new uniques plus systems revamps to every single projectile skill and curses

u no how it be

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    u can get an extra 10% cold-fire conversion on c-f support now, so 1ctf + 1 pyre gets u to 100

Item Rarity Support Default 10% increased Rarity of Items Dropped by Enemies Slain from Supported Skills
    Alternate Quality 1 Supported Skills have 2% chance for Coin Shower on Kill

"coin shower"

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    2% chance of golden showers PogChamp

• Options
    I'm stealing this from reddit because #facts:

8hszopezgkn51.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Welp, I’ve decided I’m definitely going hexblast, but have to pick class. I poked around with a poison and ignite trickster for it, now might see how occultist looks. The ailment damage in between blasts might be nice actually since you can’t quite spam or echo it while focusing on doom.

That also leaves what to use until I even have hexblast. Probably cobra lash if shadow but not sure yet if witch.

Edit:
    Flame Wall is now offered to the Witch and Templar for completing Breaking Some Eggs, and can be purchased from Nessa by the Shadow and Scion.
    That’ll do

Noggin on
    Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I think I'll league start Toxic Rain Pathfinder.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    sure why not

• Options
    thats a good necklace

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_vCSYqmyVU

pohx is a genius and i wish i was smart

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I like that Occultist variant he put together. That's got incredible Soul Tether potential.

I'm currently leaning toward a Hexblast Ignite Trickster. It can level up as Fire Trap or Incinerate or Armageddon Brand if Hexblast turns out to be clunky until later levels.

Have an idea about a Blazing Salvo/VD Slinger combination that uses Corpse Pact to ramp up a ton of cast speed and then self cast launches a ton of intensified Salvos directly in an enemy's face. PoB needs the gem for me to see if I can get it to cast fast enough though.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    I'm also strongly considering hexblast ignite trickster. It seems to have a lot of "oh god it sucks, abort" alternate spec paths built into it, which is nice. Pretty easy to switch to ED/contagion or creeping frost/vortex stuff.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Forgot to make myself a new handsome hideout for variety, but all I need now is a big pot of green tea and an updated filter with Frawrst's Earthshatter build guide in the PoB and browser and I'll be set.

Edit: Come get your patch.

And your filter. https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/iva43j/lootfilter_neversinks_itemfilter_7100_heist/

Absalon on
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Actually, I've always wanted to try an Armageddon Brand build, and Arm brand ignite trickster sounds interesting. Plus I can play with hexblast ignite a little, see if it ends up more fun...

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Patching is live

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    my league starter is going to be a witch with a dumb name

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    my league starter is going to be a witch with a dumb name

Witch is best

trying to justify going Shadow instead is hard

at least this time I'm hyped up about new skills so it's pointless to spend more than about 20 minutes in PoB before going "fuck it let's just see what works"

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Damn, I forgot to log in recently so now I might have to get that stupid code in my email right when queues start.

New NPCs up on the game site.

QUEUE UP

117 people ahead of me!

Absalon on
  • Options
    I just had a shower idea about Flame Wall and Asenath's Chant

Gonna be looking for one of those this league

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    queue is up

75 ahead of me

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Today is my last day at work, and I do not get out early for PoE league. Such a waste :(

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I like that Occultist variant he put together. That's got incredible Soul Tether potential.

I'm currently leaning toward a Hexblast Ignite Trickster. It can level up as Fire Trap or Incinerate or Armageddon Brand if Hexblast turns out to be clunky until later levels.

Have an idea about a Blazing Salvo/VD Slinger combination that uses Corpse Pact to ramp up a ton of cast speed and then self cast launches a ton of intensified Salvos directly in an enemy's face. PoB needs the gem for me to see if I can get it to cast fast enough though.

I'll probably be Fireball Ignite until T2 or 3 maps.