As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Path of Exile] Sentinel League starts 05/13. Pokebots and uber bosses!

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    ritual seems like a simple league that doesnt mess around with anything too complicated but adds a bunch of fights and rewards ie people will like it

new ascendancies and items are the interesting part for me

i dont really map so shrug on that front

elementalist rework is interesting but will need to mess around with it

changes to inquisitor are much more interesting mechanically tho...

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    New ascendancies here: https://imgur.com/gallery/ccmif9H

Deadeye has 8 major ascendancy passives now. And a node that lets you create 3 Mirage archers.

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    I don’t know the ascendancies well enough yet to understand the impact of what was shown for those. I’ll need to compare side by side or see a marked up version to pick for ritual.

The primal aegis was cool visually at least, and an inquisitor attack/spell hybrid sounds interesting.

Meanwhile, I think Ritual seems pretty good.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Yo, decided to pop back in here since I was curious on new league stuff. Can I say that as a casual player I'm absolutely and completely overwhelmed with all the different content and systems this game has now? It's a real struggle for me at this point; too much decision paralysis.

I will say that layaway Perandus league does look cool. Probably never see any of the new end game content.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    Saldonas wrote: »
    Yo, decided to pop back in here since I was curious on new league stuff. Can I say that as a casual player I'm absolutely and completely overwhelmed with all the different content and systems this game has now? It's a real struggle for me at this point; too much decision paralysis.

I will say that layaway Perandus league does look cool. Probably never see any of the new end game content.

Fortunately there aren't a lot of things you can "do wrong" with league content, although there are ways you can play things most efficiently. Steelmage, Mathil, Ghazzy and Alkaizerx all play proficiently and occasionally explain what they are doing while streaming. Octavian is smart too.

Another thing you can do if you want to learn about mechanics and what to look for on gear is check out the most popular build guides, since they often explain which gear mods (affixes) are better for which build, and why.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Man, I am so hype for all this new shit. It all looks so dope.

I mean, I still haven't reached Sirius. I still tend to have a ton of fun playing through maps and stuff.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular

only advice i can say is just play and dont worry about 99% of that shit

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Man, I am so hype for all this new shit. It all looks so dope.

I mean, I still haven't reached Sirius. I still tend to have a ton of fun playing through maps and stuff.

There is a strong relationship between these two things!

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Hydrosphere looks dope af people

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Blackflame looks super fucking dope!

Ignite turned to chaos dot is *chef kiss*

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    If they don't make crackling lance good I'm gonna yell

• Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    Looking for some Wildstrike love. Also trying to think what the hybrid inquisitor attack/spellcaster build is. Kinetic bolt scales on spell damage so that's cool

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular

My casual approach has been “is this activity fun? Does it feel rewarding?” and if not I just save it for later when maybe I understand things a little better.

When I decided to really start trying to learn, I found that “what do I want to do?” is a much better motivator for me than “what should I do?”, along side “don’t try to do everything.”

This also means that in addition to each fresh new league, I can also try to push a little further into something. Like this time I’ll probably push more delve.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    do not try to understand everything in PoE when you start

the best reward is returning to a fresh league and doing better then you did before

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    the fact other people play poe is a distraction just mess around and see what happens

theres no optimal theres no best theres no race theres no competition it doesnt matter if somebody has a broken build and u dont aiming to optimise is something that should only be done in a limited sense when u understand how and why u want to do it

otherwise people just apply the wrong framework and flame out feeling overwhelmed

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    sloinqgcgbx1.png

• Options
    Ritual and Echoes are likely going to reward survivability and single target over fast clearing. And if you are going to be in an enclosed arena with ten bosses in it, you're going to be doing a lot of avoiding, dodging and positioning, so totems or brands should be a good idea since they will let you do damage continuously. Unfortunately it looks like they nerfed Hiero's totem nodes a little.

I wonder if any new ascendancies are overtuned.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    There's new cold options in Elementalist for hit-based attacks; if I play this league I might go that route. Cold snap is pretty good for passively killing lots of stuff too.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Lancing Steel Deadeye, Dual Beltimbers + GMP = 36 projectiles. Deadeye Sniper's Mark 61% increased proj damage taken and those 36 projectiles split into 144 projectiles which hit surrounding enemies then chain off them to the next target then an average of 43 of those projectiles will bounce off walls to hit another target on top of that.

Edit: whoops

Absalon on
  • Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    I’m still on the fence about coming back for the next league. But I’ve never seriously/successfully played a bow based skill because I was not a fan of how much clicking I had to do with my increasingly old man hands. Is there a good league starter that scales into “end game” that uses bow skills?

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    Penumbra wrote: »
    I’m still on the fence about coming back for the next league. But I’ve never seriously/successfully played a bow based skill because I was not a fan of how much clicking I had to do with my increasingly old man hands. Is there a good league starter that scales into “end game” that uses bow skills?

I would just put my main skill and my movement/travel skill on my favored two keys on the QWERT row.

• Options
    Penumbra wrote: »

All the chaos/poison bow skills do, but there's this slump that starts mid-mapping because a lot of the endgame shit (specifically cluster jewels and a +skillgem level bow) that really scale the damage are difficult/expensive to get.

But Scourge Arrow fucking rocks once it's got a +pod helmet and a level 24 gem.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebywL0RYqsU

12 challenges and you get a decent weapon effect, 24 challenges and you get a slightly better character effect with little candle buddies, fucking they made the 36 challenge reward be an entire hideout?!

Absalon on
  • Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    I know that I should just play whatever, but I have to say that it's absolutely frustrating when I get to end game and some builds are just miserable and I don't have time to just relevel something else.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    Blackflame looks super fucking dope!

Ignite turned to chaos dot is *chef kiss*

Blackflame Apoc Brand Trickster.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    What's a good way to apply a bunch of ignites fast and good once you have that ring?

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Absalon wrote: »
    What's a good way to apply a bunch of ignites fast and good once you have that ring?

Anything that does fire damage? Or anything that deals lightning damage, plus a Stormfire Opal Ring.

Edit: From what I've seen, most people tend to stick to fireball, Apoc was kind of fun, but it was really hard to figure out how I should be scaling it, because there wasn't a whole out there to look at as far as other peoples builds.

Brody on

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Absalon wrote: »

Unless I'm missing something you'll still want big stinky hits to ignite with Blackflame, you can just benefit from things like Withered and Chaos DoT scaling instead of fire

Which is a little weird. Ignite builds can already find ways to reduce enemy resistance by dramatic levels: Wave of Conviction, Combustion and EE alone get you to -94% when applied correctly. This will make a Shaper-level boss take ~200% more damage than with zero investment in res reduction (or 44% more than a baseline mob with no innate resist). Flammability at level 20 with no Doom or curse effect brings these values to 275% and 88%.

Chaos resistance on endgame bosses starts lower, but there are also few readily accessible sources to reduce it. Void Beacon is Occultist exclusive and then there's Despair which reaches a -29% resistance modifier compared to the -44% modifier on elemental curses like Flammability. Wither doesn't even reduce resistance, it causes increased damage taken which is better against low resistance mobs (and multiplicative with resistance reduction). But most players make wildly unrealistic assumptions about Wither stacks. Maintaining 15 consistently is hard, and only really possible under two conditions: Occultist with Withering Presence after 15 seconds near an enemy (which doesn't phase/go invulnerable), and with Multi Totem Wither Spell Totem (which don't get outranged or killed). This just doesn't happen. You can get close with multiple sources, using Withering Step, and some other methods but 15 stacks is not a smart assumption. 5-10 is where most builds will land.

Under optimal conditions an Occultist can achieve a ~250% more multiplier from full stacks of Wither combined with Despair and Void Beacon on endgame bosses (equivalent to a 148% more multiplier on a mob with zero base resistance) assuming no Doom or curse effect. Non Occultist classes have to settle for ~200% / 107%, but that still assumes 15 Wither stacks with Corruption. At 10 stacks that drops to ~140% / 71% more damage, which is arguably close to the numbers most chaos oriented builds will achieve in optimal boss fight scenarios. This means that under realistic conditions an Ignite build does about 10% more damage than a Chaos DoT build (188 damage compared to 171).

What makes Blackflame interesting is that the 15 Wither stack scenario becomes not only possible but even trivial using most Wither sources. To cut out the math a bit this results in having access to about 10% higher base damage for non-Occultist ignite builds (that 171 above becomes 207, compared to the 188 from Fire). That doesn't take into account scaling options; chaos DoT scaling is generally in a better part of the tree for Witch, Shadow and Ranger while Fire DoT is more accessible to Templar, Marauder and Duelist. The conversion to chaos damage opens up things like Ignite Occultist builds which can reach about 30% higher damage than a baseline ignite build (248 damage compared to 188). In addition it makes certain uniques more appealing and doesn't require the kind of build gymnastics it takes to get Elemental Equilibrium working on an ignite build.

Which is something I didn't mention earlier: Ignite builds, while able to shred enemy resistances to extreme levels, have to go through a lot of work to get there. EE is rough to work around, Wave of Conviction is sometimes unreliable, and those two sources of resistance reduction alone will double your damage so you'll really want to get them into your build. As anyone who has played DoT builds extensively can tell you, damage scaling is hard to come by and grabbing as much as you can is how you make them competitive in endgame content with hit-based builds. While Chaos DoT has its own set of problems to solve it's a proven effective archetype and having some ignite tools available to it (like Proliferation and the Ailment tag) has a ton of potential.

Chaos based ignites open up a whole new branch of build opportunities and I'm stoked about it.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Chaos Ignite is extremely intriguing to me but if that ring is as rare as a doctor card then welp

• Options
    Rius wrote: »
    Chaos Ignite is extremely intriguing to me but if that ring is as rare as a doctor card then welp

Yeah, I think I'm going to try regular ignite trickster, and then if I can afford/find the ring, go with it.

I wonder how well it plays with Hexblast ignite.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    I'm just going straight new elementalist now that we don't need to suffer all 3 elements in the ascendancy, I think. Stack the fire then stack the chaos then stack the fucking chaos if you feel me

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    I also love that water orb that transmits physical and lighting damage.

That could be an interesting arc build.

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    It seems they changed frigid wake on the occultist to more cold damage instead of cold DoT, which is nice I guess. I'm kinda sad that they got rid of the herald node for elementalist, but its replacement could be interesting.

• Options
    u dont use that ring cos its good u use that ring cos it turns ur ignite effect black

its fax

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    ok yeah elementalist rework is incredibly disappointing

zero new mechanics, just % increases and resistance shreds. golemancer slightly nerfed. herald effect removed and consistent herald pen removed - exposure is weaker due to being an application tho i suppose doesnt lock ur mana up and helps the burn theme

they also kneecapped the fun malediction multicurse stuff...

deadeye and inquisitor are both vastly more interesting with entire new mechanics ( as written that inquis battlemage thing stacks with spellslinger, but also thats a lotta fucking damage)

staff inquisitor with disintegrator is a casual 1000 flat added phys... ???

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Blackflame burning arrow?

• Options
    edited January 2021
    distinegrator inquisitor levelk 20 fireball does 1400 fire and 2500 phys

more like a punchball

EDIT: burning arrow has the fire debuff so u get mixed damage types so if u build around that could work, but fireball is the more obvious choice due to single mechanic scaling

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    noo apparently disintegrator got changed to avoid exactly this abuse case

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Just catching up with the league reveal.

Yo, the Maven is a rad design for a new endgame boss. And I love the expanding world-building surrounding the atlas.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    fuck yes

gimme dat eldritch goodie directly into my veins

i wanted my div card to have "take off your mask" as a homage to king in yellow but GGG thought it was too obscure

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png