As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Path of Exile] Sentinel League starts 05/13. Pokebots and uber bosses!

• EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    For me the horrible design was you could make safe maps but you werent safe from reflect because of their not thinking it through with arch mods. It was just so horrible and broke away from even what they "stated".

This doesn't exist.

iG3kv1d.png
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited August 2022

Jubal77 on
  • EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    Nope, effigy never ever reflected your own damage. It never worked like that, even in archnemesis league.

iG3kv1d.png
    edited August 2022

Understood. I reread the description . It is my recollection that they didnt say mob only can dmg it (and still doesnt state this explicity from what I see). It was a combination of things then that they got rid of as the blue mobs could have multiple affixes and thus the effiigy would link to you, which you couldnt see, and just start taunting mobs with multiple arch affixes and still get around your careful reflect avoid choosing map.

Horrible design and poorly documented.
    Effigy Rare Monster Modifiers
    Summons an Effigy of a targeted player (10 second cooldown).
    Effigy links to the target player. While linked, 50% of all damage from Hits taken by the Effigy is also taken by the player as reflected damage. It will wait 2 seconds before using their Taunt Skill upon linking to a Player.
    Effigy can taunt other Enemies to attack it.
    Running away from the Effigy will sever the link between itself and the player.
    3.18.0d: Summoned Effigies are now spawned at the player's location and are immune to damage for 2 seconds after linking to a player. While linked, 50% of damage from Hits taken by the Effigy is also taken by the player as reflected damage (previously 100%).

3.18.0b Hotfix 1: Summoned Effigies will now wait 2 seconds before using their Taunt Skill upon linking to a Player.

Effigy debuff: You are bonded to a nearby Effigy. Damage from hits dealt to the Effigy is also reflected to you. Move away from the Effigy to break the bond.

Jubal77 on
    It does not reflect your pet's damage. It only reflects enemy damage (but that also includes nonsense like bearers).

iG3kv1d.png
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Holy shit that is a garbage debuff for a game like POE where you probably can't even tell you have it.

Jubal77hushMoridin889
    edited August 2022
    Holy shit that is a garbage debuff for a game like POE where you probably can't even tell you have it.

Yes and Euphemon is correct it is not documented but after looking at it only mobs can attack it. It doesnt say anywhere that is what it does but it is. It didnt matter really when the league first started as it would insta lock on you and you insta died.

Jubal77 on
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Euphemon wrote: »
    It does not reflect your pet's damage. It only reflects enemy damage (but that also includes nonsense like bearers).

Yes, which is why they nerfed necromancers into the ground. PoE has a real visual communication problem that has only been getting worse.

I barely played this league, despite having several thousand hours into PoE, and the new league looks to be even worse.

Heck, this is the first league since 2014 where I didn't get at least a trophy.

• InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    I have three thousand plus hours in PoE, according to Steam, and I played a bunch before you could play it on Steam. I enjoyed the heck out of Sentinel, and nothing in the manifesto has particularly upset me. I'm looking forward to the rest of the patch information.

Mostly just posting because people with these attitudes usually don't post.

Invictus on
    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
    SorCAresProphetNogginRatsult2EuphemonHeffling
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Invictus wrote: »
    I have three thousand plus hours in PoE, according to Steam, and I played a bunch before you could play it on Steam. I enjoyed the heck out of Sentinel, and nothing in the manifesto has particularly upset me. I'm looking forward to the rest of the patch information.

I think sentinel was one of the best leagues they've had in a long long time. Maybe my favorite league straight up. Atlas passive tree was amazing in 3.17, the changes they did to it in 3.18 made it way better. Eldritch implicits and eldritch currencies were amazing in 3.17, unfortunately giga nerfed in 3.18 but recombinators MORE than make up for that. Archnemesis mods are annoying but honestly effigy is not even an issue outside of league start scenarios, especially after the changes. There are so many worse AN mods that no one talks about, but whatever, the point of them is to kill you so, being killed by them is like, yeah what did you expect, build your character and play around them. I think player defenses, on average, have never been stronger than in 3.17. Easy access to grace+def+defi, strong flask affixes and charge gain on hit taken, spell suppress, meant you could take practically any build and make it very tanky as long as you weren't doing super endgame content, and for that stuff you had access to melding. 3.18 added harder content and AN mods and melding got more expensive, but that's more difficult content as opposed to general mapping.

My only problems with the manifesto are that I think they're asking for too much grinding and character investment even for traditional league starters. This is a trend that's been ongoing for a long time now, so it's not really singling out this manifesto in particular except that I thought they had struck a pretty good balance recently. You have to invest in defenses but they're there to be invested in, same with offense.

The other thing is that this just feels kinda lame for a 6 month patch, but again, I'm still going to be playing it so it's not THAT lame, just not as hyped as I usually am, even for sentinel, because I had so many builds I wanted to try and I was excited for a better league mechanic than AN.

Also, necromancers aren't getting nerfed into the ground lmao. I can't remember the last time they were actually bad as opposed to off meta, and I can barely remember them being off meta. These changes will hurt but not that much.

Euphemon on
    iG3kv1d.png
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I hope they put out some cool new skills for the new league, no new spells is why I ended up skipping the last one

2x39jD4.jpg
    Invictus wrote: »

Eh I dunno. Online it seems like PoE doesnt lack for blind devotees.

Preacher
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    They don't need to be "blind devotees" because they like the game

edited August 2022
    They don't need to be "blind devotees" because they like the game

Im not referencing anyone here as the recent posts are cogent in their ability to state why they like the game and I respect "I don't care" in a way even if it is not a valid response. The last league though was so bad at release even Ziz and his community had pause.

Jubal77 on
    edited August 2022
    What are you actually talking about then? Like what community of online PoE fans doesn't have an incredibly loud contingent of people who hate the current state of the game? The official forums? The infamously bad subreddit (lol)? This thread where we just had numerous posts in a row about how the game is bad? Like I actually don't understand what you're talking about. It's wild that A Single Person saying "hey I enjoy the current state of the game" gets a response like yours when literally every online community* for PoE has detractors being far louder and more visible than fans. Should people who like the game have zero visibility and that's enough for you?

*I lied, I guess the pathofexilebuilds subreddit is not filled with hate. lots of refugees from the main subreddit specifically for that reason.

Euphemon on
    iG3kv1d.png
    Jubal77
    edited August 2022
    Why the game continues to have bad design and communication in reference to the manifesto. Even your 'gotcha' post showed support for what I am saying as effigy is to this day not properly documented in game and no one can blame me for going by what it says as documented. If you are going to reduce what I say at least do it correctly. But ill just wait until the pt 2 comes out. It is just humorous to see people actually referencing Sentinel as "good" as it was an abject failure on almost all fronts for well over a month. It was near unplayable for near a week at highest level play.

Edit: Yeah I only go into pathofexiilebuilds these days I avoid all other places. If they have shifted then... eh I will still stay away. Also if there was a positive for recent leagues the "fixing" of the atlas was very good. The initial design of rotating stones and having maps of different tiers all over the place was just lol-bad.

edit2: ill just leave the thread again. I stopped the last league early and probably just leave the game again unless they fix it back to what attracted people like me in the pre big nerf days. approachable crafting, able to earn money and actually have post game builds with reasonable play, etc. As it stands ill probably just stick to D2R and see how D4 pans out.

Jubal77 on
    edited August 2022
    It's not a gotcha post to tell you that's not how the mechanic works. I didn't imply or say anything extra, I literally just said that's not and has never been how that mechanic works. I didn't reduce anything, your post was talking about that exact mechanic.

The AN mods being a shitshow is absolutely hilarious in the context of them saying they wanted the rare mods to be more visible and readable, they unequivocally failed in that goal and even worse in their initial implementation of the mods. They're still not documented outside the patch notes, and in fact GGG specifically said they're breaking from tradition in documenting them at all. Having said that, I think PoE being obfuscated is actually a really cool feature of the game. It's more or less the only popular modern game where that's true. Games like WoW or FFXIV or Diablo have their information so known and available that they're practically solved. PoE has that oldschool vibe where the community legitimately has to figure things out. I don't see that as a bad thing, at all. Information being literally valuable in-game (that's how people make mirrors!) is one of PoE distinguishing factors to me. I can understand why people wouldn't enjoy that, but for me I think that's really cool. Having said that, obviously there's a sliding scale there of what should be obfuscated and what shouldn't be, mob mods probably shouldn't be.

"an abject failure on almost all fronts for well over a month" is a ludicrous exaggeration but how would you even know when you said yourself that you stopped playing early.

Like I'm not out here saying you can't dislike the game, or how you feel is invalid. It's not like I'm correcting factual inaccuracies about how you feel. Feel how you like lol. Everyone should.

Euphemon on
    iG3kv1d.png
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Many of the kinda shit builds I enjoy playing have me suiciding down stronger enemies in acts already, so I'm probably done until they release the new campaign and curiosity gets the better of me. I've got DFO for when I just wanna wander around making enemies pop and like half a dozen other ARPGs I haven't played much for when I need to scratch that specific itch.

Though I really doubt it matters to the devs if they lose players like me who've spent maybe $200 over years of playing--I'd imagine the people spending the majority of the money are probably also the ones least likely to leave, for a variety of reasons.

edited August 2022
    ... nm have a good one all hopefully the pt 2 actually has something in it as its just more ggg bs so far.

Jubal77 on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Euphemon wrote: »
    Feel how you like lol. Everyone should.

no people should feel how i feel

which is that aspect of the crab should be improved

cloak of flame meta

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    AresProphet
    o yeah 3 leagues are getting revamped and re-added apparently (although not confirmed that one is ultimatum)

yay

obF2Wuw.png
  • DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    o yeah 3 leagues are getting revamped and re-added apparently (although not confirmed that one is ultimatum)

yay

They're triple adding Archnemesis.

steam_sig.png
    FiatilHefflingMoridin889Brody
    3oa1iqich3kx.png

ARCHNEMESES league

obF2Wuw.png
    AresProphet
    4aeciikuo0pg.png

yay

obF2Wuw.png
    AresProphet
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    new cool uniques = yes

sunder buffs = yes

ty ggg

J3qcnBP.png
    i dont think i agree that builds have become "more expensive" to be able to hit red maps, or that rerolling builds on 2 ex budgets isnt viable

i regularly farm t16s on day 2/3 using pretty much ssf gear on a melee build, using uniques no one cares about etc. there are ways to find damage/life/speed that are very underused, and of course the week 1 economy is where all the "early big money" is to be made

i dont have the perspective of 10+ alt rerolls but i usually play one starter, one speed mapper, and one huge investment character per league at minimum.

thats the appeal of poe for me, getting to try again every 3 months to take what i learned, apply it, get better, get richer faster etc

i farmed a mage blood last league just by doing t16 reds, never even touched an uber boss

J3qcnBP.png
    edited August 2022
    I do not think anyone is saying it is really more expensive to get into red tier maps though. It is more expensive to get past your beginner build is really the core of it. To make the farming comfortable. That cant really be argued against. Cluster Jewels, skill gems (enhance/empower/21 20s etc), chase uniques etc are all really high minimums now that add to a very high upgrade process. Even medium cluster jewels core to builds were high. But if you got to things like Aegis then forget about it unless you got lucky or was group farming heh. I think it capped at 1000 C or so early. Even when when I stopped at little over a month it was still over an ex. 6Ls are a cheap part of your builds now really heh.

I to like to usually play my own off build but it is a different existence and one that is typically more work. Popular builds are that for a reason really they will be faster to scale. I could do a shout build or something of that nature but my wrists just cant handle builds that require so much interaction anymore. Reason I picked the nice and scalable and expensive other builds heh. I shouldnt be so overtly handicapped for picking this though. And they are handicapping it more.

Edit: After Marvel Heroes finally died, le sob, I put all my arpg/gaming time really into this game. I am at 4.2k hours on steam and would be under 1k or so on default install.

Jubal77 on
    Fiatil
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Yeah your builds are super fun fRAWRst, but you're definitely playing a different game than me. I've seen your streams, you're great at it, but are also a case study in someone who just approaches the game fundamentally from a different perspective than I do. That was my point -- no it's not unplayable or broken or impossible to progress for everyone. My playstyle in particular has been the biggest casualty of this stuff.

Like you said, you're not rolling 10 alts and are dramatically more focused on your characters than I am. Yeah I can "get to" red maps for 1-2 exalts, but dramatically weaker than the builds that were getting there for 1-2 ex in 3.3, 3.4, 3.5, 3.6....... I trawl through build guides and it's just not the same anymore. Official forums, reddit, this forum, content creators who specialize in league starter builds. I've literally sat and watched builds that were on the low end of their lists become the most viable starters today because the dozens of old builds got nerfed, not because the old builds were buffed. Builds that were my 9th choice in 3.5 or 3.6 that I tried and bounced off of back in the day are now looked at as great league starters not because there's some new quirk that makes them affordable, but because all of the builds above them just fell off the list. I've seen build guide writers sell the "new version" of their guides as TOTALLY JUST AS GOOD AND CHEAP AS BEFORE, but then you look at the PoB and it's a completely broken mess until you spend 30+ ex, and all of the comments reflect that as well. And the questions of "Well is there a similar feeling build that is as good as the old 3.6 version of this?" get a ".....well if you squint and spend 3-4x as much currency, totally yes".

It's just a completely different game on the level I've played it at. It's been hilarious to basically find out that I'm a "casual" as far as the developers are concerned when I have 2,083 hours logged per Steam and was routinely taking off early on Fridays to make a league start. There were a couple leagues in the middle where I was the 2nd highest leveled character in our guild on Friday and Saturday (that's about my limit on balls to the wall grind before I have to take a break). The amount of engagement it takes to do that has increased dramatically and the variety of builds that I enjoy that allow me to do that have shrunk considerably; they're just weaker at lower currency levels than they were previously.

I don't think that's a controversial statement -- if you look at the manifesto for this league, GGG has once again said they think minions have too much power "in the tree" and want to move it onto gear. That's synonymous with needing more currency to achieve the same power; it's a stated design goal and something they're specifically trying to make happen. Totems, mines, and minions in particular have fallen off dramatically as far as power gained just from skills and ascendencies; my first build ever was a 3.2 glacial cascade totems hierophant. I didn't know how to trade, I was terrified of spending a chromatic orb on recoloring slots and did 0 crafting until I hit maps (had no idea what any of the currency even really did, i.e. no jewellers or fusings used), and it was a smoother leveling experience than a good league starter is today. It wasn't the strongest most meta build in 3.2 or the strongest build I even played in 3.2, and I capped out at spending 2 ex on each of those characters.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
    Jubal77Penumbra
  • XantusXantus Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    if you look at the manifesto for this league, GGG has once again said they think minions have too much power "in the tree" and want to move it onto gear. That's synonymous with needing more currency to achieve the same power; it's a stated design goal and something they're specifically trying to make happen.

this has been the biggest turnoff for me.. im in a similar boat with 2.5k hours on steam (and at least a thousand before that on the native client) and i'm just tired of trading. it's not that "fun" when your build options are basically dictated by a separate metagame that you have to keep up with (the trade value of uniques/key-items).
    there's this whole big skill tree thing that barely seems to matter anymore.

Etiowsa
    yeah i guess i see that, the era of a 5 link lvl 18 gems killing uber elder are far behind us

i usually invest about 10 ex into my starter serker, farm up about 60-70 with him, then try to build a speed mapper to finish mageblood/hh/whatever else i need for the third and final

the days of ez league starters are long dead, but if you try hard enough you can still hit yellows on 4 links using the tree and gems

it is made by grinding gear games

i mean

its in the name

J3qcnBP.png
    edited August 2022
    I mean that is the big point of contention for some of us. Evolving the game to make crafting more accessible and end game builds more accessible isnt bad design. It is what kept a lot of us going and it is what grew the game past a niche game. I grind the league a lot if I have a nice solid curve into end game and I dont have to do stupid shit like chaos recipe and 1c/5c/10c/etc tabs.

Jubal77 on
    PreacherXantusEtiowsaMoridin889
    i guess i just dont really understand the perspective, wanting an "easier" time to get into endgame?

J3qcnBP.png
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWChrPIFiME

the league is about path of exile

obF2Wuw.png
    Crippl3Jubal77
    edited August 2022
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    i guess i just dont really understand the perspective, wanting an "easier" time to get into endgame?

It is not that simple. That kind of statement is kind of insufferable. Wanting things approachable and not overtly punishing with things that do not really make sense or are just plain bugged/not thought out is not wanting things to be "easier".

It is not "harder" to have an affix that is not properly documented get through a functionality that has been a way since... well forever. That being reflect proof with builds such as RF or minion. Especially when it is hidden by the light show/clutter so easily. Edit: And even doubly so when that affix just uber punishes minion builds since you can't ultra reliably have them target things.

Jubal77 on
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    the explosive backpack in the supporter packs is hilarious

Jubal77
    im not even sure what we're talking about anymore so imma back out

new league looks fucking dope

J3qcnBP.png
    Jubal77
    the changes to rare mobs are a pretty big difficulty reduction

obF2Wuw.png
    jungleroomx
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    GGG has consistently made a number of design decisions that functionally punish people for not having dozens of hours to devote every 3 months to engage in slightly different but ultimately homogenized content every month

CarpyJubal77EtiowsaXantusPreacherPenumbraDaimarMoridin889A duck!Torgairon
    hell yea scourge mobs back i liked their models

obF2Wuw.png