As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wait, this isn't a Homeworld game? [Hardspace: Shipbreaker]

• Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    Well I'm two hours in and I've had four hard crashes that have meant I need to power cycle my PC by the main switch as not even ctrl-alt-del will work. And I must say the tutorial feels like it says rather a few things unsaid. And working out what to cut is a bit hit and miss at the moment.

But, this game is right up my street.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    at about 930 last night I went, "aww heck let's give it a shot if I don't like it I can return it"

next glance at the clock was apparently 130am...

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    at about 930 last night I went, "aww heck let's give it a shot if I don't like it I can return it"

next glance at the clock was apparently 130am...

Looks like you're stuck with it now!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Have yall taken a moment to take a real good look at the Earth below?

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Too busy firing six billion chairs at the barge to look at the scenery!

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

drifting, falling, floating, weightless

• Options
    Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »

Too busy putting myself in the processor, i am worth $8

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Jeez, I've lost so much stuff to the furnace's vacuum. I wish the ships were like... fifty metres further forward or something.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »

Too busy putting myself in the processor, i am worth $8

god damn you're worth a lot grats

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    EDIT: oops, never mind.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Jeez, I've lost so much stuff to the furnace's vacuum. I wish the ships were like... fifty metres further forward or something.

Use the anchor jacks to get better tethering angles on the risky sections.

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    If you don't end a shift with 0 tethers you're leaving time and credits on the table.

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I use the jacks, but it still feels like I'm wasting tethers keeping the hull sections away from the burner. It's just annoying.

Also there definitely should be a barge on top, but I'd actually remove the one below, and give you a clear view of Earth for maximum vertigo.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Yeah, I use the jacks, but it still feels like I'm wasting tethers keeping the hull sections away from the burner. It's just annoying.

Tethers are cheap; the time saved by spamming them more than balances out any time running back to the store for more of them, especially if it helps you have a $5M day or something.

(Also, you can speed up trips to the store by grappling it and reeling yourself in, provided you're good at decelerating in time to avoid pancaking against it.)

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I want the hub to be an actual space you can walk around in between shifts. And then you can decorate it with items you purchase and salvage from ships.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    What's with the massive acceleration if you get too far away? Drifted slightly past the work area and was unable to return because I was getting phantom forces shoving me away faster and faster.
    Ashaman42 wrote: »
    Well I'm two hours in and I've had four hard crashes that have meant I need to power cycle my PC by the main switch as not even ctrl-alt-del will work. And I must say the tutorial feels like it says rather a few things unsaid. And working out what to cut is a bit hit and miss at the moment.

But, this game is right up my street.

Pretty much where I am tutorial wise. Game will probably be really fun later but I've returned it for now. Too clunky, too many bad design decisions (no your UI should not be so transparent it's hard to read, whoever made the scanning UI needs to not be on UI, etc)

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    What's with the massive acceleration if you get too far away? Drifted slightly past the work area and was unable to return because I was getting phantom forces shoving me away faster and faster.

Solar wind.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    AlanF5AlanF5 Registered User regular
    (no your UI should not be so transparent it's hard to read, whoever made the scanning UI needs to not be on UI, etc)

Huh. I actually believed, without evidence, that the UI was bad because LYNX does not buy their Cutters the good stuff.
    I may be suffering from diegetic hypertrophy.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    AlanF5 wrote: »
    (no your UI should not be so transparent it's hard to read, whoever made the scanning UI needs to not be on UI, etc)

Huh. I actually believed, without evidence, that the UI was bad because LYNX does not buy their Cutters the good stuff.

Which is I'm sure the intent, but the scanning UI especially is just...no. You can make it shitty without doing what it does.

• Options
    AlanF5 wrote: »

Which is I'm sure the intent, but the scanning UI especially is just...no. You can make it shitty without doing what it does.

Submit the suggestion for improvements! This is still like super rough, so you could see some changes made!

• Options
    So I have playing around with order of operations in extracting reactors and I noticed something.

They've changed how reactor... durability? Is that what we're calling the bars/blocks that show when you grab something? Anyway, they've changed how those work for reactors.

If you pull (or even target) the reactor when both the fuel and cryo are on, it's only got the 'red blocks'. Which I believe means any damage will trigger serious negative effects and presumably a much faster meltdown timer.

If you disable the fuel lines safely, the first 5 gold blocks light up. Indicating a longer meltdown timer and presumably higher quality.

Disabling the cyro doesn't add any more blocks to the timer. Which leads me to suspect that pulling the cryo pods from the ECU is the 'unsafe' version of shutting down coolant. Similar to manually flushing each thruster pipe for fuel. The ECU does have a key slot on it that doesn't work, so I'm betting that gets added at some point as the 'best practices' method of shutting down coolant.

I am wondering if the end quality of the reactor will also eventually change the value you get for it in credits.

• Options
    What they should do is have between zero, one, and two keys floating inside the big ships. And you can only buy one key per shift.

That way there is a chance to find enough keys to shut down both ECU and Fuel safely. But you also have a chance to have no free keys and thus have to make a choice between shutting down the ecu or the fuel and have to deal with the other.

• Options
    What they should do is have between zero, one, and two keys floating inside the big ships. And you can only buy one key per shift.

That way there is a chance to find enough keys to shut down both ECU and Fuel safely. But you also have a chance to have no free keys and thus have to make a choice between shutting down the ecu or the fuel and have to deal with the other.

Go suggest it!

• Options
    Maybe have a line on the ship catalog with notes from the delivery people like,

“Threw both keys in there before dropping it off”

Or

“I don’t know, maybe I saw one key floating around,”

to give an idea of what to expect when selecting the ship. Maybe make the ones with questionable keys have a better chance of a more expensive reactor?

• Options
    edited June 2020

Or

to give an idea of what to expect when selecting the ship. Maybe make the ones with questionable keys have a better chance of a more expensive reactor?

They need to add sun visors so you can check them for keys. Or if the physics worked better, have them hidden under chairs and stuff.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

Or

They need to add sun visors so you can check them for keys. Or if the physics worked better, have them hidden under chairs and stuff.

Checking those storage containers in the cockpit. Let me find some cool stuff like fuzzy dice and decorate my space house thing with them.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Just got into my first large Gecko ship..and this is a huge step up in complexity. Have already blown up a fuel tank and cracked my mask trying to push a piece out.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Needed to get a couple work orders done to hit rank 7, so I marathoned a couple small ships. Tore the floor out from under the reactor to get ready to drop her, and found a soda bottle stuck perfectly between the keel and the seats in the main cabin.

Also, after hitting rank 7 and trying out the hard Gecko-class, I accidentally caused a meltdown and just barely got the reactor onto the barge before it blew. Only one square left, but I still go the usual 3 mil. So it looks like currently the meltdown doesn't affect valuation.

IronKnuckle's Ghost on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I'm having trouble getting fuel tanks loose. I'm holding perfectly still, use the grapple and (regardless of my distance to it) as soon as the tank is loose, fifty/fifty shot it immediately spins wildly out of control, hits something and explodes.

What am I doing wrong?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Maybe you need to be dismantling more of the ship around the tanks before you try to take them out? On Macks I generally hit all the cut points in the crawl space on each side and tether those pieces to the processor before getting the fuel or coolant tanks. The same really applies to Geckos too.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    that's weird, I never cut anything before I pull the tanks free and I never have that problem

• Options
    I get it occasionally. Sometimes the physics just goes wonky with tanks. Its rare, but it happens.

When I pull tanks I try to make sure I am as still as possible (but not using the hold in place button) and off of a piece of ship that isn't actively being moved/tethered if I can help it. I don't know if that actually helps, but I figure the fewer calculations the game has to make about the different forces pulling on the tank, the less likely it is to freak out.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I think the angle between yourself and the thing you're pulling plays a big part. Sometimes I'll see the grapple beam curve in a weird way despite a straight line of sight between me and the object. That seems to pretty much guarantee the target is going to pull loose and do some quick physics stuff. I have the best luck if I'm facing whatever the object is attached to dead-on and latching onto/pulling in a perpendicular direction. Of course, that's not always possible in every case.

• Options
    My favorite is when it goes haywire pulling a computer or something and suddenly the thing I am grappling is on the other side of a piece of hull, having clipped through the wall.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Finished my first Gecko. Cut the reactor free and as it started to melt down I realized I was out of tethers. That was a clencher of a run to the buy station and back but got it safely on the barge. Whew

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Does the number of days indicated in the ship selection screen have... any importance, really? I can't tell if it determines how long a "month" is.

• Options
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Does the number of days indicated in the ship selection screen have... any importance, really? I can't tell if it determines how long a "month" is.

Apparently its the number of days the ship will be available in the list.

But since the ships are kind of interchangeable aside from being transport or cargo, its very hard for me to notice any difference. Maybe someday when ships are more diverse it might matter. Like, you might pick an easy ship about to leave the list to do a quick pull of the reactor and thrusters and expensive stuff, but leave the rest to grab a more lucrative ship before it goes away in 3 days.

• Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    I tend to not be so worried about the credit value left behind once I finish the work orders and my shift ends. But if there are only Transport ships available to pick I would be tempted to just finish stripping the ship I had already finished rather then dealing with all of those electronics and seats.

• Options
    got to rank 5 and got my first truly large ship

I've spent an entire day's worth of time basically floating around going, "um...." and trying to figure out what I can take apart without triggering a horrible explosion.

Turns out, not very much! Did you know that an emergency flushed engine can sometimes shoot fire out of the fuel line? Directly at the other two engines?

I didn't.

• Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    Yeah the Geckos are a bit overwhelming at first. I hope you found a few Utility Keys while working in the Mackerels.