As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny 2] What We Do in the Shadows (Beyond Light expansion coming Nov. 10!)

• Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    It's a game design tactic designed to extend the amount of time you are spending playing the game, which, I imagine, generally increases player retention, and more importantly, keeps up those concurrent player stats that they can use for marketing.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I did Flawless Solo Prophecy! It was terrifying! So glad to have that done though. Now to tackle Shattered Throne. And at some point I need to actually do Pit of Heresy

Nice! Did you end up using the taken mods?

I did!

Quick writeup as a Warlock:

Armor mods: Concussive Dampener x2, Major Resist x2, Minor Resist. Taken Barrier, Hive Barrier, Oppressive Darkness, Taken Invigoration, Breach Resonator, and some miscellaneous loader mods.

First Boss:
    Well lock. Riskrunner, Mountaintop, Falling Guillotine.
    Lots of running, cleansing, wiping little adds, then one phasing the boss.

Second: Mountaintop, Riskrunner, Wendigo
    Riskrunner keeps you alive to murder adds. Kill snipers immediately with mountaintop, wendigo to blind the knights, mountaintop to kill them at leisure.

Third: Mountaintop, Hush, Anarchy
    Never stop moving. Take your time, use bow to kill the snipers in the boss phase, do not be afraid to use anarchy to drop death fields on spawning in enemies. Take out the first knights asap to get one of the corners safer. Don't get killed by dark entropy in the boss room.

8wviu1jrncbo.png

STYYYYYYYYLE

Once I had the final boss down, actual flawless run only took two tries.

edit: Here's the run if anyone wants to see it:

For the Cube encounter, catalyst-enhanced Trinity Ghoul is insanely good btw. Get the thing procced and it will one-shot the entire little add spawns.

And a Hammerhead will tear the knights/snipers apart too, in cases where mountaintop might be too risky to use for various reasons.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    The glitch was the combination of farming Umbrals from Black Armory with them pretty much always being powerful. You're actually supposed to get a small number of powerfuls from the system as designed. I never did the farm, received an unexceptional amount of powerful umbrals as a result. I was maybe at 1020 max when they shut that off.
    Yeah, I know. I think it was supposed to be 3 max for the week being powerful? That was the intent?

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Xagar wrote: »
    It's a game design tactic designed to extend the amount of time you are spending playing the game, which, I imagine, generally increases player retention, and more importantly, keeps up those concurrent player stats that they can use for marketing.

None of those words mean "It's fun for the player"

• Options
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    The glitch was the combination of farming Umbrals from Black Armory with them pretty much always being powerful. You're actually supposed to get a small number of powerfuls from the system as designed. I never did the farm, received an unexceptional amount of powerful umbrals as a result. I was maybe at 1020 max when they shut that off.
    Yeah, I know. I think it was supposed to be 3 max for the week being powerful? That was the intent?

Yeah, it was supposed to be the first 3 of the week were powerful.

The I think even bigger in some ways boost the umbral engrams give you, which is afaik entirely intended since it's still there, is that engrams will focus to your current level. This allows you to very easily pull lagging spots up to par with the rest of your pieces, which speeds up leveling by a lot.

This helps even more during the 1050->1060 pinnacle grind and even more with multiple characters. Since at that point an umbral engram and a powerful reward are identical. If you get tryhard about it you can jump a lot of levels by timing when you pick up pinnacles so that they always push you toward getting to the next plateau where your powerfuls and umbrals will come out a level higher.

• Options
    Power-enabled PvP in general just kinda breaks the game's design and balance.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

The I think even bigger in some ways boost the umbral engrams give you, which is afaik entirely intended since it's still there, is that engrams will focus to your current level. This allows you to very easily pull lagging spots up to par with the rest of your pieces, which speeds up leveling by a lot.

This helps even more during the 1050->1060 pinnacle grind and even more with multiple characters. Since at that point an umbral engram and a powerful reward are identical. If you get tryhard about it you can jump a lot of levels by timing when you pick up pinnacles so that they always push you toward getting to the next plateau where your powerfuls and umbrals will come out a level higher.
    I am going to hope / be optimistic and hope it was intentional and, yeah, that's pretty much what I used 'em for. Even out everything / try and min max gains to push up one to then focus eeeeeeeeverything.

The real question is will they keep this system or toss it?

As an aside, doing old raids has reminded me that tokens drop in Leviathan and you could use them to get further items....That was nice, I miss that.

I may now be glaring at Garden of Salvation and its utter refusal to give me more than one Pulse Rifle in all the times I've run it....but the shotgun? SHOTGUNS FOR DAYS.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Speaking of old raids, I did Spire of Stars for the first time this morning with AspectVoid and Kriegtopher (thanks guys!). It was fun but I'm very glad I didn't try doing it when I was at or below PL for it. Not being able to instantly vaporize the boss (and thus needing multiple DPS phases) would have been intensely painful.

They really raided the Destiny Strategic Ball-Handling Reserve for that one, though. The design meetings must have involved people just shouting, "But we need more balls!"

It was, I believe, the first major ball-fondling thing. With the tossing and the running around and all that. It was the mechanic they built the raid around, which is how they build raids these days.

But yeah, the boss encounter is basically "Show us all the ball-fondling techniques you've learned so far, one after the other". Like a goddamn testicular masseuse final exam.

I'm not sure what criteria you're going by, but Rift I think was the first "ball" thing, right?

And then Wrath of the Machine had a good amount of playing with balls

I might be forgetting something but I think Spire was the first time the "toss balls" mechanic was introduced, which was literally game changing. We'd picked up a lot of balls but they just put us in third person and made us run to a place to dunk them, having to throw them either to a teammate or at a target is a whole other thing.

I low key love ball throwing and wish we had to do way more of it and I know that's an unpopular opinion.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I thought we could pass balls in Rift?

And as stated, Wrath of the Machine was all about throwing balls to get in.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »

I was thinking about bringing charges to the thingies in the first encounter, I totally forgot about all of the "throwing balls at Vosik" parts. I wish you could have thrown the ball in Rift and I can't believe that they haven't made a mode like that yet, when somehow Scorch Cannons is still in the rotator list.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »

No ball passing, if you died holding the Rift it disappeared and I longed for a pass button. It would have been a game changer, I always felt like a ball hog

• Options
    Peen wrote: »
    Speaking of old raids, I did Spire of Stars for the first time this morning with AspectVoid and Kriegtopher (thanks guys!). It was fun but I'm very glad I didn't try doing it when I was at or below PL for it. Not being able to instantly vaporize the boss (and thus needing multiple DPS phases) would have been intensely painful.

They really raided the Destiny Strategic Ball-Handling Reserve for that one, though. The design meetings must have involved people just shouting, "But we need more balls!"

It was, I believe, the first major ball-fondling thing. With the tossing and the running around and all that. It was the mechanic they built the raid around, which is how they build raids these days.

But yeah, the boss encounter is basically "Show us all the ball-fondling techniques you've learned so far, one after the other". Like a goddamn testicular masseuse final exam.

I'm not sure what criteria you're going by, but Rift I think was the first "ball" thing, right?

And then Wrath of the Machine had a good amount of playing with balls

I might be forgetting something but I think Spire was the first time the "toss balls" mechanic was introduced, which was literally game changing. We'd picked up a lot of balls but they just put us in third person and made us run to a place to dunk them, having to throw them either to a teammate or at a target is a whole other thing.

I low key love ball throwing and wish we had to do way more of it and I know that's an unpopular opinion.

Yup. AFAIK it's the first time you could do anything with a "ball" but pick it up and dunk it. They even gave you a "pass it to me" emote just for doing the first encounter to help facilitate the mechanic.

• Options

I am going to hope / be optimistic and hope it was intentional and, yeah, that's pretty much what I used 'em for. Even out everything / try and min max gains to push up one to then focus eeeeeeeeverything.

The real question is will they keep this system or toss it?

As an aside, doing old raids has reminded me that tokens drop in Leviathan and you could use them to get further items....That was nice, I miss that.

I may now be glaring at Garden of Salvation and its utter refusal to give me more than one Pulse Rifle in all the times I've run it....but the shotgun? SHOTGUNS FOR DAYS.

As I remember they stated explicitly at some point that the Umbral Engram system is their template for these things going forward. At least for now. It's the system they finally settled on as working the best. And given it's reception, I think the playerbase agrees. Now obviously that's just for the moment and things change all the time. But for now it seems like they think it's a good system and they are gonna run with it.

Also, they ditched the token system from Leviathan because it devalued actually doing the raid and getting raid drops. You just farmed all the weapons and armour at the vendor with tokens. And after Y1 the playerbase basically revolted against tokens.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    The one thing I'm disappointed about with this season is that the third exotic is going to be a sidearm. I really just...I really do not like sidearms at all

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    cursedking wrote: »
    The one thing I'm disappointed about with this season is that the third exotic is going to be a sidearm. I really just...I really do not like sidearms at all

It kinda sounds like it's going to be insane though.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I've never gotten the hang of sidearms. I don't PvP that much, though, and my understanding of sidearms is that they're basically an answer to shotguns. Not as strong but slightly longer range so you can plink down an incoming shotgunner before they're effective to shoot back. My problem with them is always that their range is too short. If they had the kind of range hand cannons do but lower damage and higher RoF I could get behind them. As-is, in PvE, I feel like I'm better off using a hand cannon or a shotgun in basically any situation.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    My raid jacket finally arrived. It came with..... a second raid jacket.

One has my name on the patch, the other one does not....I think I got someone's jacket.

|| Consten ||, I mourn for thee.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    My raid jacket finally arrived. It came with..... a second raid jacket.

One has my name on the patch, the other one does not....I think I got someone's jacket.

|| Consten ||, I mourn for thee.

Oh look who just became a raid boss.

|| Consten || is coming for you and his stand by button is all warmed up.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited July 2020

I know most of the cheese. || Consten || will experience many wipes.

I actually just tried to look up the name....and the name with the pipes and without doesn't pull up on Destiny Tracker (not even Stadia). :(.

Bizazedo on
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Eater of Worlds run for Sunday morning EST on PS4, continuing my Sunday Old Raid Series for Getting that Dumb Ring.
    https://www.the100.io/gaming_sessions/1421822

Unrelated: if I were going to LFG up runs for Prophecy and Pit of Heresy, as someone who isn't terribly good at Destiny and hasn't done them before, how long should I budget for that? Are they hour activities? Two hours?

I actually just tried to look up the name, and the name with the pipes and without doesn't pull up on Destiny Tracker (not even Stadia). :(.

You can put whatever you want on those custom field things. || Consten ||'s name might not have pipes or one pipe or 1's or something. I always put "Pax Arcadia" on my Destiny swag.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    edited July 2020

You can put whatever you want on those custom field things. || Consten ||'s name might not have pipes or one pipe or 1's or something. I always put "Pax Arcadia" on my Destiny swag.

There's a Consten on PS4 with a power level 1001 Titan who probably hasn't played in a bit. Rocking Suros Regime, Recluse, etc. The person also has a linked Xbox account with the pipes....and they're not dead as they got an achievement in Carrion yesterday.

We'll see if I can find a way to return it. Their profile location on Xbox says Down Under, though, so I might ransom it for Vegemite.

[edit] Actually, Destiny Tracker must've hiccuped, found 'em....they stopped playing 3 months ago, abruptly restarted yesterday.

Bizazedo on
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Eater of Worlds run for Sunday morning EST on PS4, continuing my Sunday Old Raid Series for Getting that Dumb Ring.
    https://www.the100.io/gaming_sessions/1421822

Unrelated: if I were going to LFG up runs for Prophecy and Pit of Heresy, as someone who isn't terribly good at Destiny and hasn't done them before, how long should I budget for that? Are they hour activities? Two hours?

I actually just tried to look up the name, and the name with the pipes and without doesn't pull up on Destiny Tracker (not even Stadia). :(.

The first time I did Prophecy, it was one other guy's first time too, and the 3rd was someone who'd done it 2 or 3 times. This was a pickup group on bungie.net's LFG page.

It took about 2 hours I think? We wiped a lot. 2 or 3 times in the second encounter. 4 or 5 times on the boss.

After this it's been way easier. Maybe 30 minutes? Usually don't wipe at all. Except for last night where I joined a pickup group at the first boss and it just took a few quick wipes for us to gel.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular

There's a Consten on PS4 with a power level 1001 Titan who probably hasn't played in a bit. Rocking Suros Regime, Recluse, etc. The person also has a linked Xbox account with the pipes....and they're not dead as they got an achievement in Carrion yesterday.

We'll see if I can find a way to return it. Their profile location on Xbox says Down Under, though, so I might ransom it for Vegemite.

[edit] Actually, Destiny Tracker must've hiccuped, found 'em....they stopped playing 3 months ago, abruptly restarted yesterday.

I think Bungie has mentioned that the Destiny API has been fucked this whole season (and a little before I think), so a lot of the tracker sites haven't been working to full effect.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    On that note DIM continues to be awesome. Hover over the max gear score for a character and they break it out by slot. They also ditched the inaccurate decimal and now report fractions as 1/8ths which is what the game actually uses.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    On that note DIM continues to be awesome. Hover over the max gear score for a character and they break it out by slot. They also ditched the inaccurate decimal and now report fractions as 1/8ths which is what the game actually uses.

Oh wow, this actually mirrors the layout and methodology of the spreadsheet I created early in the season to track this:
    fh9zx8r0s6sb.png

EDIT: Comparison:
    1ndjl346bi3b.png

Vagabond on
    vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • Options
    jjae2123jjae2123 Registered User regular
    Hey y'all, I used to play a while back and dropped off shortly after the Osiris expansion, I never did the leviathan raid and I want to get that done before it hits the vault, what levels do I need to hit before I can realistically take part in that raid?

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    jjae2123 wrote: »
    Hey y'all, I used to play a while back and dropped off shortly after the Osiris expansion, I never did the leviathan raid and I want to get that done before it hits the vault, what levels do I need to hit before I can realistically take part in that raid?

I believe leviathan raid is 750 which is where you start now so it's really easy!

• Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Leviathan raids are all at minimum level (750), so you need to able to log in.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

it's not about LL at this point. Leviathan is set at 750 LL difficulty which is what everyone starts at. You'd want to make sure you had some useful guns for the different encounters, though.

Basically you would be set if you had a decent sword for dogs/baths, and a long distance power weapon for Calus.

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular

All the legacy raids are at 750 power level, so essentially no requirement. Garden of Salvation is the only raid with a higher requirement, and it's still way under the current softcap

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • Options
    jjae2123jjae2123 Registered User regular
    Awesome! Thanks everyone!

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    i have apparently been reported for, and i quote, "unsportsmanlike conduct", because after being pushed into boss arena on Exodus Crash while my two randos held back up on the ledge it was somehow my fault that they were unable to get in. got a message mid fight telling me to die(in game) so they could get in, i had died twice already by then, once intentionally. finish the fight to find a follow up saying i was being reported. yeah, good luck with that one friend.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    So, I have seen this issue before in strikes and it's 100% the fault of the other players. When one player enters the final arena, normally the game pulls the other players forward after a 5 second delay. But if you are close to the boundary and you hump the border, you actually can convince the client that you are already inside the final area, the timer stops and you can literally camp outside the boss fight area indefinitely (or at least until the strike ends). Take a single step backwards away from the locked wall and the timer restarts. Start humping the wall again, the timer vanishes and you go back to camping. In order to get "locked out" those players had to either be actively trying to defeat the timer or they were so amazingly stupid that they honestly thought that licking the virtual window in hopes that they could dissolve it with their non-existent in-game saliva was an actual worthwhile endevour.

26904.png
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular

Vegemite is not a great ransom. You should ask for a box of TimTams and a bottle of Bundy.

Speaking of things down under, did you know that there is no Root Beer in Australia? Or at least I have yet to find any. They've got Sasparilla (not the same) and Ginger Beer is EVERYWHERE, but garden variety root beer is impossible to find. That... and Kool-Aid.

26904.png
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    So, I have seen this issue before in strikes and it's 100% the fault of the other players. When one player enters the final arena, normally the game pulls the other players forward after a 5 second delay. But if you are close to the boundary and you hump the border, you actually can convince the client that you are already inside the final area, the timer stops and you can literally camp outside the boss fight area indefinitely (or at least until the strike ends). Take a single step backwards away from the locked wall and the timer restarts. Start humping the wall again, the timer vanishes and you go back to camping. In order to get "locked out" those players had to either be actively trying to defeat the timer or they were so amazingly stupid that they honestly thought that licking the virtual window in hopes that they could dissolve it with their non-existent in-game saliva was an actual worthwhile endevour.

Exodus Crash is actually bugged. I've been locked out of that boss arena before.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

i didn't notice they hadn't followed me in until my first death. at that point it looked like they were jumping around in the previous room, i don't know if they were trying to get killed and hoping i'd die too for a wipe but i tried an intentional death at that point. after that i just cracked on with the fight though and i guess they left around then too cause i was the only one left by the end.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    The Corrupted is also bugged, found out on the Nightfall. If you die in the first part of the boss fight and your party moves on without you, you won't respawn into the boss area or with your party. You'll respawn back to the big drop, which is now out of bounds, which kills you instantly. Once your party makes it to the second stage of the boss fight, you're let out of this trap. But what if you're with an incompetent pubby who wants to skip the enemies (including Champions) but isn't good enough to do that without dying? Well then you're that Guardian who is never fully dead nor fully alive from the Almighty. I have RARELY been so tilted.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Festering Core is also bugged, Boss just doesnt spawn often, I skip that strike always now.

• Options
    Arteen wrote: »

Exodus Crash is actually bugged. I've been locked out of that boss arena before.

Yeah, I've joined a strike at the boss locked out like that.

The Corrupted also has similar problems where you can die and end up rezzing right before the big drop and then die from being out of bounds and then get rezzed in the same spot in an infinite loop.

Strange Terrain would also occasionally lock you out of the boss arena and spawn you outside it.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    The Corrupted is also bugged, found out on the Nightfall. If you die in the first part of the boss fight and your party moves on without you, you won't respawn into the boss area or with your party. You'll respawn back to the big drop, which is now out of bounds, which kills you instantly. Once your party makes it to the second stage of the boss fight, you're let out of this trap. But what if you're with an incompetent pubby who wants to skip the enemies (including Champions) but isn't good enough to do that without dying? Well then you're that Guardian who is never fully dead nor fully alive from the Almighty. I have RARELY been so tilted.

From my personal experience with the bug, it triggers if one person dies, one moves forward, and one lives and doesn't move forward. If that person who lived then moves forward, on the next death it will cycle the dead player's view into the ascended realm, and after their timer is up, they can respawn in. At least, that's what happened the two time I saw that bug.

PSN|AspectVoid