As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny 2] What We Do in the Shadows (Beyond Light expansion coming Nov. 10!)

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Wait, we're not allowed to use auto rifles in any crucible? Was this posted in the company break room?

Can we add snipers to that list?

Given the list of things I'm not allowed to use is getting very long, it's easier to list the things people don't have a problem with:

Shotguns

Seriously every single person who bags me/ sends hate mail is usually shotgun rushdown and just mad they're getting Arbalest'd/Auto'd into the dirt

Is hate mail relegated to the consoles? I never get any messages on pc. I mean I’m also probably just not good enough to engender hate, but then again my random teammates don’t raz me either for tanking their streaks when I whiff

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    Wait, we're not allowed to use auto rifles in any crucible? Was this posted in the company break room?

I’d like to point out I was using auto rifles before they were cool.

Because I’m terrible, and I need as many bullets as possible to kill someone.

Also, pulse rifles.

There’s a quote from some western that’s really stuck with me. There’s an older guy who is with the good guys, and someone notices he’s only using a shotgun and asks why

And he just pauses and he’s like “well...I’m a poor shot”

And I’ve pretty much embraced that in destiny with either using autos or shotguns. Just like yeah, not gonna light you up from across the map with one shot but guess what, breakneck has 40 bullets per magazine and I can hold this trigger all day

M-VickersPapagander
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »

Given the list of things I'm not allowed to use is getting very long, it's easier to list the things people don't have a problem with:

Shotguns

Seriously every single person who bags me/ sends hate mail is usually shotgun rushdown and just mad they're getting Arbalest'd/Auto'd into the dirt

Is hate mail relegated to the consoles? I never get any messages on pc. I mean I’m also probably just not good enough to engender hate, but then again my random teammates don’t raz me either for tanking their streaks when I whiff

I think it may just be classic Xbox Live, those types of people who teabag after every kill because they're Just That Good©

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    M-Vickers wrote: »

I’d like to point out I was using auto rifles before they were cool.

Because I’m terrible, and I need as many bullets as possible to kill someone.

Also, pulse rifles.

There’s a quote from some western that’s really stuck with me. There’s an older guy who is with the good guys, and someone notices he’s only using a shotgun and asks why

And he just pauses and he’s like “well...I’m a poor shot”

And I’ve pretty much embraced that in destiny with either using autos or shotguns. Just like yeah, not gonna light you up from across the map with one shot but guess what, breakneck has 40 bullets per magazine and I can hold this trigger all day

For extra fun, run Titan with Arcturis Rig, and that exotic auto rifle with 100 rounds in the magazine.

Why yes, I would like to fire 150 rounds without stopping, thanks for asking.

You can either play to your strengths or, if you have no strengths, compensate for your weaknesses.

I choose the latter.

• ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    I got one two weeks ago:

“You got them pato tactics...shooting from far”

It cracks me up. If you’re not sliding in with a shotgun, you’re apparently playing the game wrong.

Local H JayBasil
  • OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Yeah I prefer autos for PVP. And specials are exclusively fusions or breech loading nade launchers.

Right now I'm on the PVP portion of the thorn quest and it is agony for me.

• DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    have you met my friend telesto, it basically shoots for you

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
    august
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    ugh dammit, re-issue Claws of the Wolf next Iron Banner, you cowards
    that gun owns

Peenrndmhero
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I'm not in love with pulse rifles at the moment, it really feels like too many trigger pulls. I do have a couple full auto ones that seem ok, I'm saying pulse rifles are ok when they're actually just auto rifles I guess.
    You know, for the first five or so years of playing Destiny, I have always tapped the trigger so pulse rifles just "feel" right to me. Even pulses that have auto fire I still pull for each shot. It hasn't been until the year that I've learned to just lean on the trigger and spray virtual bullets all over the place, and I still can't land a headshot to save my life.

26904.png
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    I'm not in love with pulse rifles at the moment, it really feels like too many trigger pulls. I do have a couple full auto ones that seem ok, I'm saying pulse rifles are ok when they're actually just auto rifles I guess.
    You know, for the first five or so years of playing Destiny, I have always tapped the trigger so pulse rifles just "feel" right to me. Even pulses that have auto fire I still pull for each shot. It hasn't been until the year that I've learned to just lean on the trigger and spray virtual bullets all over the place, and I still can't land a headshot to save my life.

I’ve found shooting someone in the knees and groin 10 times works well.

edited June 2020
    Oh my god. I just ran into my first, verifible, PvP god now that SBMM is gone.

This person went 9.17, 55 kills in 10ish minutes, using MIDA.

They were unstoppable.

I was basically taking headshots before they'd turn the corner

They were on the other team.

Real talk, now that SBMM is gone 9/10 matches are incredibly lopsided. Most of the time I barely contribute. I'm just not good enough. It's not much fun.

D2 has a relatively massive player population. I can't believe they had to take SBMM to make matchmaking better. And it doesn't seem better to me.

OpposingFarce on
    FeloniousmozObiFettStupidElkiPapagander
    I kinda like it. It’s more of a challenge, frustrating at times, but I enjoy it.

And now I want to dust off MIDA.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

They were unstoppable.

Real talk, now that SBMM is gone 9/10 matches are incredibly lopsided. Most of the time I barely contribute. I'm just not good enough. It's not much fun.

D2 has a relatively massive player population. I can't believe they had to take SBMM to make matchmaking better. And it doesn't seem better to me.

I had a game last night that was 6 randos and 2 3-man teams. Both 3-man teams were trials teams. Running around in their lit-up armour and everything. And they were both on the same side against us 6 randos. It was a deeply stupid match.

• CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    Don’t autos basically have a pre-nerf Luna’s Howl time to kill, with twice the range and more forgiveness?

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    They can take my mass collection of auto-rifles from me when they can pry them from my cold, Lightless hands.

Shamus
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular

They were unstoppable.

It's no secret they borked up their connection code since Season of the Worthy. People are suffering connection issues all over the place since they switched to some sort of Steamworks API to handle connections.

I suspect matchmaking is suffering from most players not being able to establish a connection with most other players. So the number of people you're actually able to connect with is so small, they had to turn off SBMM to get the search times down.

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020

They were unstoppable.

I am the same. I even made a post on this which pretty much said the same thing you did.

BUT

As has been posted upthread, the lack of SBMM has made things better for the "average" player (which I am not, and by your posting I'm guessing you are not either). The top end players prefer connection-based matchmaking (CBM) because it gives a smoother experience. For blokes like me (and possibly you) dealing with an additional 50ms of display lag isn't even a consideration, but for people who are lining up headshots and getting kills in less than 1/10 of a second, that kind of 'lag' is untenable. Mid-level players also prefer the smoother performance over equal skill matches.

Luckily there is a solution! SBMM is alive and well in the competitive playlist! So as long as you limit yourself to competitive, you can still have fun and not get steamrolled by "normal" players that live so far outside of your comfort zone that they might as well be playing a completely separate game. Personally I am not a fan of Survival as a game type (Control is really my favorite) but I'd much rather play Survival in a match that is somewhat competitive than to play Control in a match where I could just idle AFK in each match and have about as much impact (and fun) without changing the results in any appreciable way.

Edit to add - I'll likely be playing comp all evening tonight. Now that I'm at 1050 my weekly "to do" list is a lot shorter and I can focus on fun activities instead of stressing about what order I do powerful/pinnacle activities in.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Took this advice.

This is such a nasty combo lol.

OVuLiEa.jpg

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    augustLocal H JaycB557ShamusBasilElki
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Took this advice.

This is such a nasty combo lol.

OVuLiEa.jpg

https://youtu.be/_JUCfX1P1ik

Bizazedo
    The new meta

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I was in that match with Jay, the guy was saying we should 2v2 him and his (similarly salty t-bagging but not as good) buddy. It's the closest I've ever come to saying that we actually should because fuck those guys.

For reference it was a control match on bannerfall, we led the whole way and never by less than 20 points, and those guys and us were top frags on our respective teams. Their insane chest pounding kinda made sense, in a desperately insecure way.

My experience with things like this?

They were probably in their early teens.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Three Panel Soul showing a keen understanding of Guardians:
    4tnran4emrjp.png[/spoiler

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    Zombie GandhishoeboxjeddyBasilOpposingFarcecB557CptHamiltonlakhesisDyvim TvarCatalaseWraith260
  • RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    Is there an easy to review, summarized version of the upcoming weapon phaseout changes, etc anywhere? I read the State of Destiny updates and such, and it talks about the content vault, but nothing about what items are being phased out and which ones you will keep? Or will keep leveling? Or however it is going to work?

Don't want to waste resources masterworking something that will be vanishing in whatever amount of time.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Raynaga wrote: »
    Is there an easy to review, summarized version of the upcoming weapon phaseout changes, etc anywhere? I read the State of Destiny updates and such, and it talks about the content vault, but nothing about what items are being phased out and which ones you will keep? Or will keep leveling? Or however it is going to work?

Don't want to waste resources masterworking something that will be vanishing in whatever amount of time.

In game, a given item will display a GOLDEN number above its current power level — that number represents its ultimate max power level, aligned with either the current season, or that of a future season. For instance, Season of Arrivals items should drop with a Golden Value of 1360, which means those items will be able to be maxed out each season for a year (or until the big Savathun release).

• XagarXagar Registered User regular
    You can see the max power on items ingame. Everything from Undying/Shadowkeep and earlier is going to be capped starting next season, except raid gear. There are a couple lists floating around on Reddit of the remaining gear come Beyond Light, I believe.

Only focus on things with the little bird logo (Dawn), the Warmind logo (Worthy), or the Pyramid logo (Arrivals), and raid gear.

basically if something says the max power is 1060, it will only be relevant through this season.

if it says 1360 it's through the first phase of the next expansion

• DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Raynaga wrote: »

Player items aren't going to outright vanish, they just have a cap to how high you can infuse their power level.

You should take a look at your items and see. If there's a yellow 1060 next to the current power level, that means that this season's cap of 1060 is the highest that can ever go. That should be the case for anything from the season Shadowkeep launched and before that.

Except raid weapons from Last Wish and Garden of Salvation, that is. Those are being kept in for awhile because those raid are the ones sticking around for this first bit of content vaulting. Same goes for any raid armor, I think, and that one is kind of a "just because" kind of deal.

With regards to Armor, I feel comfortable dismantling all Season of the Dawn gear (Righteous Armor?), as the typical Season Mod needs are better handled by a mix of the other three seasons of gear.

But that's advice particular to someone pursuing stuff like "oh, I want a Hive Barrier + Charged w/Light build for soloing Pit of Heresy", not really average play.

Shamusshryke
    I decided to keep and enhance Sovereign Grips just for that reason. Still have access to Powerful Friends with it, while I can use Worthy/Arrival mods with the rest.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    If you like your IB weapons, no worries though. Most of them are being reissued in the upcoming IBs.

No new stuff :(.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    https://sunset.destinyrecipes.com/

This might be helpful too.

Really hate the way they handled reissued weapons. They don't have different perk rolls or anything so that feels like an actual example of Bungo just devaluing the time invested in finding rolls you like. They should have made it where infusing same item into same item resets the power cap.

BasilFeloniousmozLocal H JayArteenTamerBillshoeboxjeddyElkiZombie GandhiSirialisDyvim TvarCatalase
    I think right now, it seems lackluster due to a small number of new weapons. With the expansion, there will hopefully be a larger pool of new weapons (new perks/different combinations) as guns rotate out.

Or they’ll just reissue Recluse and then wtf was the point Bungie

• XagarXagar Registered User regular
    I don't think they're worried about when they're reissuing things, they're just picking stuff.

They're reissuing the void breech grenade launcher Orewing's Maul when this season already reissues the void breech grenade launcher Truthteller. The only meaningful differences between them are a couple different perks.

Local H JayArteen
    Xagar wrote: »
    I don't think they're worried about when they're reissuing things, they're just picking stuff.

They're reissuing the void breech grenade launcher Orewing's Maul when this season already reissues the void breech grenade launcher Truthteller. The only meaningful differences between them are a couple different perks.

Also this. Just like the stupid artifact champion mods. Touted as a way to highlight different weapons each season but really they're just reinforcing the auto/hand cannon usage. This is another theory is fine but implementation needed more attention to details thing.

Dyvim TvarBasil
    There's certainly some inexplicable redundancy in their choice of reissues this season (like the two Rapid-Fire Veist Snipers), and the decision to design these special Iron Banner perks and only put them on the Quest weapons is unsurprisingly stupid.

But there's also the fact that the consequences of sunsetting can't wholly be felt for some for a few releases, as nothing has actually been deprecated yet, and I imagine very few meaningful ideas will be deprecated next season. Based on the limits of Dawn gear, Beyond Light's Max Light is 1160 (I think), so we will eventually be saying goodbye to... Mountaintop in Endgame PvE? What's the Trials metagame like? Will that be shaken up, or is it too Exotic-focused?

Maybe the above just underscores how misguided this approach to shaping the "player pursuit economy" is, but hopefully this gradual shift means that they can revise things in a timely manner before folks make any decisions they'll regret. (Uh, my sympathies to everyone that dismantled their Garden armors.)

The only way trials will change is a lot more Felwinter and a lot less Mindbenders, a lot more Main Ingredient instead of Erentil, and Revoker, people are still gonna use Revoker because fuck you

Dyvim Tvar
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Sunsetting weapons is a crock.

It has no "greater purpose" beyond removing a handful of overly-performing pinnacle weapons like Mountaintop and Revoker. It's primarily a way to invalidate player time and effort so they have to spend time regrinding gear they already earned, without Bungie having to put in the effort of creating a season's worth of new, compelling weapons.

Bungie found a new answer to why players care about obtaining a "tenth Better Devils". It's because the previous nine have programmed obsolescence.

shoeboxjeddyDyvim TvarSirialisBasilCatalase
    Yeah, its just bungie wanting people on the treadmill for more player engagement which means more microtransactions.

Which is kind of shitty for a game with paid DLC, season pass, and then MT.

I'm not sure if I'll get the expansion yet. Haven't made up my mind.

Dyvim TvarBasilCatalase