As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny 2] What We Do in the Shadows (Beyond Light expansion coming Nov. 10!)

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Part of it could be that it was sweatier from the start, and sure I can see that. But with people immediately realizing that Astral Horizon is a primary Mindbenders and that grinding three wins was more lucrative than anything else... May have tipped things early on into shitsville

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I don't understand Bungies thought process on so many things.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I finally got the monocromatic shader at 500 hours of play.

well, around 100 of that was AFK-ing, but still.

Are we still repping our guardian fashion? Because my titan finally has a titan mark ornament with TACTICAL POUCHES. GIVE ME ALL OF THE POUCHES.

CC995B66B9A85954D50F62293D7B8C189AFD7AF6

P O U C H E S
    62FC5F5F91AB49EE7D4E121811228227ACEF6153

Also my hunter looks pretty cool too.

25C5C3BF6F98183CDB52C1B1F3618E3F48963447

OpposingFarce on
  • Options
    Imgs are broken for me

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    No fur shoulders/neck, 0/10.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    I don't understand Bungies thought process on so many things.

Lately I am becoming increasingly convinced that most things aren't being given much thought at all.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Lately I am becoming increasingly convinced that most things aren't being given much thought at all.
    That's way more generous than my kneejerks that I try to resist posting since everyone tries to remain positive here. My thoughts always trend towards "Least Dev Time / Maximum Engagement".

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Whoever designed this RNG power level upgrade system must have designed it to be the worst upgrade system possible.

I would gladly have done that AFK forge farm or whatever if I had been able to, if this getting 5 “powerful” energy weapons in a row is working as intended.

They should have chucked the RNG part of levelling out of a window instead of this Sunsetting nonsense.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    No fur shoulders/neck, 0/10.

Look, if there was an ornament for actium war rig that was appropriately pimpin it would be my first silver buy!

• Options
    That's way more generous than my kneejerks that I try to resist posting since everyone tries to remain positive here. My thoughts always trend towards "Least Dev Time / Maximum Engagement".

What gets me is some of the small stuff that is just baffling. It really feels like Bungie is a bunch of folks just randomly doing whatever without talking to each other.

A while back they made Pinnacle drops +2 instead of +1 since it was some serious rough going to level at all when they were +1. You had to get a drop, in every slot and eventually you were shooting for that 1/8 chance. +2's go a long way to help this by just needing to hit any 4 of the 8 slots before you get better drops. Way more reasonable system.

Then they added four more accessible pinnacles, great! Something to engage the folks who can't raid or get through 1080 Nightmare hunts. Those drops are at +1 and with only 4 a week basically useless if you don't get access to those way more difficult to get +2 drops.

I'm also going to complain about where they moved change character to on consoles. The PC port was supposed to help out console UI and all it has done is make them feel free to ignore how bad they've made it.

• Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    the part that's insulting about the rng power levels is they have had a system that guarantees you get a drop for your lowest slot since Rise of Iron (3 years and 9 months not that anyone's counting), and only just now did they add back a chance of that for primes

• Options
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Whoever designed this RNG power level upgrade system must have designed it to be the worst upgrade system possible.

I would gladly have done that AFK forge farm or whatever if I had been able to, if this getting 5 “powerful” energy weapons in a row is working as intended.

They should have chucked the RNG part of levelling out of a window instead of this Sunsetting nonsense.

I think the issue is "designed" isn't the right word. I really doubt anybody at Bungie can tell me what the expected number of pinnacle drops are required to move from 1050 to 1060. That's just math and pretty crucial to designing an engagement system. I don't believe that Bungie knows the answer to that question which is just baffling.

I also don't think they know the answer for the 1000 to 1050 grind either.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

They said like almost 4 months back they were investigating ways to fix that problem. They added the pinnacles from playlists to tide us over in the mean time and boosted the pinnacles to +2 as well I believe. But we've heard nothing since then. Maybe with the fall expansion?

Either way it's the shittiest thing. My warlock got nothing but energy weapons from GoS this week and thus literally didn't even get a single level upgrade from the entire experience.

The umbral engrams at least help the situation a lot. Especially below 1050.

shryke on
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    "Bungie doesn't play their game" is the usual sentiment when we discuss these sorts of things in my group. Or at least, not long enough to notice or care enough about any of the issues. The developers aren't investing their personal time and effort into the retail game anywhere near how the community does.

The biggest loss with not having a proper Destiny 3 is that all of the small problems in Destiny 2 will continue to persist, rather than get the time and attention that they need.

Arteen on
  • Options
    Part of me thinks that the use of XP gain to gain....well, artificial power level levels, is their bandaid to it. Get terrible luck? Grind XP, you'll raise that way.
    Arteen wrote: »
    "Bungie doesn't play their game" is the usual sentiment when we discuss these sorts of things in my group. Or at least, not long enough to notice or care enough about any of the issues. The developers aren't investing their personal time and effort into the retail game anywhere near how the community does.

The biggest loss with not having a proper Destiny 3 is that all of the small problems in Destiny 2 will continue to persist, rather than get the time and attention that they need.

Destiny 3 could've solved it. Destiny 3 also would've let them really rehash things....!

"And look what's back...SUROS REGIME!"

(I'm ignoring the disaster that was Destiny 1 to Destiny 2)

• Options

Case in point: Change Character on consoles is now buried like eight button clicks deep with two menu loads. Of course on PC it is two button presses. It used to be like 3 or 4 on consoles.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I'm still at around... 1020? I think. But you know who doesn't care?

Shaxx.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Destiny 3 wouldn't have fixed anything with any guarantee; Destiny 1 to 2 actually moved BACKWARDS in some respects.

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Yeah as a console player, a lot of things seem shifting to primary PC development in aggravating ways.

They had an article recently that pointed out the QA/playtest team doing a lot of work through Stadia, which yeah makes a lot of sense hardware wise, but it is pretty telling how console is slipping behind. And not in the hurr console better than PC raaargh just like damn Bungo, do some due diligence.

Zombie Gandhi on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    If Bungie had the money for a D3, I think people would have been ok with it. But depending on how D2 looks and plays on next gen consoles, it could be good. The new stuff does look cool. It's just hard to excited for another 3 years of destiny 2 when that would have been their chance to right the ship, and show they can deliver a good follow-up to the destiny legacy. It feels like they decided to do this out of need, not want, and that's a bummer. A D3 would probably have looked a lot better, but we'll never know.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Destiny 3 wouldn't have fixed anything with any guarantee; Destiny 1 to 2 actually moved BACKWARDS in some respects.

D3 would have been a new foundation to build from. I think D2 demonstrated that said foundation would probably just have different flaws rather then none.

And especially with live service games there's a tendency for the game to evolve as the developers learn lessons and try new ideas and leave basically a mess under the hood because of that.

I think Destiny 2 doing the whole "vault old content" thing might actually help on this front, if they can spruce up old areas and content before bringing them back. Gives an easy way to overhaul things over the long term.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Is there a reason that Falling Guillotine randomly uses 1 or 4 ammo per heavy attack?

• Options
    Is there a reason that Falling Guillotine randomly uses 1 or 4 ammo per heavy attack?

I'm assuming it changes based on whether the "melee" is fully charged or not.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    7uDA6pFh.png

Woot, scored enough Bright Dust to pick up the Selfie emote before tomorrow's reset.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    He looks irked.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    He looks irked.

That's because I haven't been in the Crucible lately. He'll feel better once I hop in next week for Saladin's Iron Banner oh wait...

• Options
    Solo'd Prophecy on my warlock for funsies. I also challenged myself by sticking to accessible weapons only, so no Mountaintop or Anarchy this time.

Not flawless, but not too bad. It's difficult to say whether it's harder on warlock than hunter, as I'm much more comfortable playing as a nightstalker.
    I went with Witherhoard / Gnawing Hunger / Falling Guillotine for the first boss. The lack of invis makes cleansing tricky, but sword + devour makes boss damage phase way easier. I just wail on the boss, and when goblins show up, pop devour, slice a few, then go back to wailing on the boss. This was much tricker on hunter using MT/Anarchy.

Cube room was mediocre shotgun / Riskrunner / Bad Omens. Definitely the hardest encounter as trying to get a cleanse was frequently dangerous. It was hard to kill the knights in the right location with the right timing so that the cleanse spot would be sufficiently safe. Riskrunner helps a bunch at clearing out the adds.

Final boss was Witherhoard / Gnawing Hunger / Bad Omens. Between devour and rifts, surviving in the main room wasn't too much trouble. Without Anarchy, I had a bit of trouble quickly dealing with the ogres, so I'd usually end up nova bombing the first one to give myself some space. My only major issues were from dealing with snipers during DPS phase.

I might give titan a shot, but I expect it to be rough.

• Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Remember that comment someone made recently about Bastion killing the dude you point it at and the guy behind him?
    Honestly, I've had more success with Arbalest, but this was fun.

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Solo'd Prophecy on my warlock for funsies. I also challenged myself by sticking to accessible weapons only, so no Mountaintop or Anarchy this time.

Not flawless, but not too bad. It's difficult to say whether it's harder on warlock than hunter, as I'm much more comfortable playing as a nightstalker.
    I went with Witherhoard / Gnawing Hunger / Falling Guillotine for the first boss. The lack of invis makes cleansing tricky, but sword + devour makes boss damage phase way easier. I just wail on the boss, and when goblins show up, pop devour, slice a few, then go back to wailing on the boss. This was much tricker on hunter using MT/Anarchy.

Cube room was mediocre shotgun / Riskrunner / Bad Omens. Definitely the hardest encounter as trying to get a cleanse was frequently dangerous. It was hard to kill the knights in the right location with the right timing so that the cleanse spot would be sufficiently safe. Riskrunner helps a bunch at clearing out the adds.

Final boss was Witherhoard / Gnawing Hunger / Bad Omens. Between devour and rifts, surviving in the main room wasn't too much trouble. Without Anarchy, I had a bit of trouble quickly dealing with the ogres, so I'd usually end up nova bombing the first one to give myself some space. My only major issues were from dealing with snipers during DPS phase.

I might give titan a shot, but I expect it to be rough.

I've found that a good replacement for Mountaintop (boy I wish I had that gun) is actually Arbalest.

It'll one shot the hobgoblins in the cube encounter and does a good chunk of damage to other enemies as well.

The trouble is that it eats your weapon exotic, so you're locked out of some of the crazy heavy weapons. Personally, that's where I would recommend a tracking/auto-loading rocket launcher.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Okay, need some advice on loadouts...

I've been using Hoarfrost in my kinetic slot and Gnawing Hunger is the elemental. I really want to go back to my favorite weapon (pulse rifles) but can't give up the elemental auto yet. So that means a kinetic pulse. I've narrowed it down to two options: Vigilance Wing or Cold Denial.

The VigiWing seems like a solid plan and I really enjoy using it but that uses my exotic on a primary. If I go with Cold Denial I think it can be pretty comparable in effectiveness (with a good roll) and frees me up to use an exotic heavy. But I'm not sure what heavy to use in that slot to pair with the Cold Denial.

I'm currently favoring 21% Delirium in the heavy slot (because it shreds even with super poor aim) but that's going to sunset at the end of the season so I should be looking for alternatives now.

Suggestions?

26904.png
  • Options
    Stupid wrote: »

Suggestions?
    What activities are you trying to do?

• Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    It looks like the Seventh Seraph Saw is the only machine gun not capped at 1060.

I’d personally go with a sword in the Heavy slot, Temptation’s Hook or Falling Guillotine.

Shamus on
  • Options
    Finally capped the season level of 100. Umbrals are bugged, though, not giving me two choices for the final perk....so that's cool.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »

I've been using Hoarfrost in my kinetic slot and Gnawing Hunger is the elemental. I really want to go back to my favorite weapon (pulse rifles) but can't give up the elemental auto yet. So that means a kinetic pulse. I've narrowed it down to two options: Vigilance Wing or Cold Denial.

The VigiWing seems like a solid plan and I really enjoy using it but that uses my exotic on a primary. If I go with Cold Denial I think it can be pretty comparable in effectiveness (with a good roll) and frees me up to use an exotic heavy. But I'm not sure what heavy to use in that slot to pair with the Cold Denial.

I'm currently favoring 21% Delirium in the heavy slot (because it shreds even with super poor aim) but that's going to sunset at the end of the season so I should be looking for alternatives now.

Suggestions?

Is there a reason you're not going with Bygones as your kinetic pulse? Or Blast Furnace? Because you should do one of those two. Regarding heavy, that should vary based on activity. Numerous good choices for heavy slot. The new machine gun from this season seems fine, presuming you have the season pass, focus engrams on weapons until you get one. If not, consider throwing tokens at the Vanguard for some of the different grenade launchers available.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Finally capped the season level of 100. Umbrals are bugged, though, not giving me two choices for the final perk....so that's cool.

That perk doesn't apply to Cold Denial or Falling Guillotine for whatever reason. Apparently the same was true of the Season Pass weapons during Season of the Dawn.

If you're seeing the problem elsewhere, who knows.

• Options
    metaghost wrote: »
    That perk doesn't apply to Cold Denial or Falling Guillotine for whatever reason. Apparently the same was true of the Season Pass weapons during Season of the Dawn.

Which weapons in Dawn were bugged? My Steelfeather Repeaters were able to get multiple perks.

• Options
    metaghost wrote: »

Which weapons in Dawn were bugged? My Steelfeather Repeaters were able to get multiple perks.

The two you had to unlock on the season pass. Launcher and sniper maybe? Something about that unlock method messed up that bonus.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    So I'm racing to get the Wayfarer title. Pretty much the only thing I've got left is one Legendary Dreaming City weapon, 1 more Escalation Protocol Weapon, and the Secret Victories Emblem.

I'm finding conflicting information about the emblem. Some places think it's a random drop from the well activity in Dreaming City. Some say it drops from doing all 6 Ascendant Challenges. Some say it's just totally random from planetary chests. Any completionist here have more concrete info?

• Options
    The two you had to unlock on the season pass. Launcher and sniper maybe? Something about that unlock method messed up that bonus.
    That makes sense, I have zero shits about either weapon haha.

• Options
    Namrok wrote: »
    So I'm racing to get the Wayfarer title. Pretty much the only thing I've got left is one Legendary Dreaming City weapon, 1 more Escalation Protocol Weapon, and the Secret Victories Emblem.

I'm finding conflicting information about the emblem. Some places think it's a random drop from the well activity in Dreaming City. Some say it drops from doing all 6 Ascendant Challenges. Some say it's just totally random from planetary chests. Any completionist here have more concrete info?

Really unhelpful but I thought they changed it to the last one? I can't rule out the challenges though as I might have gotten it from that and not realized it.