Hello there, ladies and gentlemen!
Hello there, ladies and gents!
Are you ready to rock?
Are you ready or not?
Hello there, ladies and gentlemen!
Hello there, ladies and gents!
Are you ready to rock?
Are you ready or not?
Would you like to play a phalla with me?
Would you like to play a phalla with me?
Would you like to? Would you like to?
Would you like to play a phalla with me!?

Phalla is a variation of the “Mafia” party game, where an uninformed majority (colloquially referred to as “the village”) must root out an informed minority (colloquially referred to as “the mafia”). You can read more about phalla here.

The rules for this phalla are below. This is a game for precisely 23 players. If you wish to sign up to play this game, please sign up in a bold color. Please also include the name of a song that has helped you get through the pandemic, or motivated you to correct injustice in the world. If there are no songs that match these criteria, you are exempt from this requirement.

THE RULES

Voting
Each day, the players must vote to eliminate another player on the player list by posting the name of the player they wish to eliminate in bold red. The player who has the most votes at the end of the day will be eliminated from the game. In the event of a tie vote, one of the players who received the most votes will be eliminated, at random, as will the player who tied the vote.

Votes made in an edited post will not be counted.

Game Day
Each game day will begin when the hosts announce that the game day has begun.

Each game day will end at 9:00 PM Eastern Time.

Any votes cast or orders received at 9:00 PM or later will not be counted. All votes or orders must be timestamped 8:59 PM or earlier to be counted for that day.

Communications and Activity
Include both hosts on any private messages shared between players or any proboards created.

Players may not anonymously communicate with any other player.

Once a player has been eliminated from the game, they may make a single “ghost” post in the game thread, as long as that post does not contain any game information. That player may not privately communicate with any other player about the game.

Players must make at least two posts in the game thread and vote once each day. Failure to do so will result in your elimination from the game.

Roles, Results, and Order of Operations
Each player will be assigned a unique role. Role PMs may not be shared.

There is a village. There is a mafia.

Each night, unless otherwise specified, each player may take only one action.

Each night, the name, role, and alignment of each player eliminated the previous day will be revealed. The method of each player’s elimination (e.g., the elimination vote, the mafia, etc.) will also be revealed.

The game is over once any player has achieved their win condition.

The order of operations is as follows: ???->Elimination Vote->???->Propaganda->Word of the Trinity->Thunderstruck->Divide and Conquer->Electric Eye->???

Clarification of any rule may be requested by posting such request in bold orange. Clarifications may also be requested in private by PMing the hosts.

Frequently Asked Questions
“Act I”? What’s that about?
This game is the second in a series of games that we are planning to run, which will all be thematically linked. The first game was The Day the Music Died – Prelude: Concerning Charlie Horse.

Cool! Does that mean I have to have played the first game to play in this one?
Absolutely not! While knowledge of prior games may or may not be helpful, it is by no means necessary. Each game has been designed to be independent of the others, so that each player can choose to play in as many or as few of them as they like.

Super! In the past you guys have run games where the mafia has been significantly arguably underpowered. Is that your plan this time?
It is always our plan for each game to be as balanced as possible. That being said, we always learn from our past experiences and try to do better the next time.

Great! So the mafia definitely have a kill this time?
Yes.

Nice! So then you’re making all of the villagers seers this time again?
No! That was a one-time thing tied to the specific mechanics of that one game. Also they were only half-seers.

Potayto, potahto! You’re at least giving the village a regenerating vigilante, right?
Now, see here...

Oh, I get it. You’ve definitely overcompensated and made the mafia overpowered.
That’s not even a question. This interview is over!

Locus on
JPantsdiscrider38thDoeBluecyanGreenH3KnucklesInvictus

• LocusLocus Trust Me AlbanyRegistered User regular
    edited July 4
    Players
    1. 38thDoe
    2. Auralynx (Ambellina) - Steward of the House That Heaven Built - Thunderstruck
    3. Bluecyan
    4. cj iwakura (Johnny B. Goode) - Villager of the House that Heaven Built - Democracy'd
    5. discrider
    6. Gizzy
    7. Green
    8. Heffling
    9. Invictus (Tarzan Boy) - Villager of the House of 1982 - Democracy'd
    10. jdarksun (Janie) - Villager of the House That Heaven Built - Thunderstruck
    11. JPants
    12. JusticeforPluto
    13. kime
    14. LostNinja
    15. MamaWolf
    16. ObiFett
    17. Phyphor (Tommy and Gina) - Partisan Villager of the House That Heaven Built - Thunderstruck
    18. premium (Mr. Brightside) - Corrupted of the House of 1982 - Democracy'd
    19. romanqwerty
    20. shalmelo
    21. Wildcat
    22. Zombie Hero

Reserves
    1. H3Knuckles

Narrations and Results
    Opening Narration
    Day One Narration and Results
    Day Two Narration and Results

Locus on
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Sign me up!

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    One likes to believe in the freedom of music!

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Let there be rock!

JusticeforPlutoH3Knuckles
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Anyway I, I know it's kinda been a roundabout way of saying it
    But I guess the whole point I'm tryin' to make here is:

I
    Hate
    Sauerkraut!

• InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Standing in the rain, with his head hung low...

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
    JPantsAustinP0027
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Please also include the name of a song that has helped you get through the pandemic, or motivated you to correct injustice in the world.

Ha!
    Haha haaaaa

Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent The World on This SideRegistered User regular
    I'll !sign up, and submit some weird Russian rock... I think.

lPeK6xY.png
    kime
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    🎶 I wanna Rock! 🎶

cj iwakura wrote: »

Original is better:

But I guess if I'm going to answer the question my submission has to be something like:

Oh hey! A knife!
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I'm so tired I can barely see straight is the the so thread?

PA HotS Group
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular

Look at the marbles go!

kimediscrider
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    That's so cool!

PA HotS Group
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent The World on This SideRegistered User regular
    edited June 23
    discrider wrote: »

Original is better:

I had no idea there was one, but it makes so much sense. :lol:

I know this is original!

cj iwakura on
    lPeK6xY.png

Original is better:

A tragedy that must be remedied.
    I nominate this song for the mafia's official anthem.

Oh hey! A knife!
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular

Original is better:

A tragedy that must be remedied.
    I nominate this song for the mafia's official anthem.

Surely the official Mafia anthem is 'Town of Salem' by Boyinaband? :P

!Sign up.

:whistle: Whoa, we're halfway there!
    Whoa-oa, we need eleven more players! :whistle:

H3Knuckles
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
  • MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
    edited June 23
    Why not? I've got two songs:

MamaWolf on
    "May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
    Auralynx
  • BluecyanBluecyan On a mission from Glod Bee there Orr Bee A Rectangular ThyngRegistered User regular
    I Wannabe in!

Also, pretty sure Gideon Brown is our Mafia anthem.

edited June 26
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Sign

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Gizzy

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    My pandemic song .. is more like an entire playlist of kpop

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
    Bluecyancj iwakura
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited June 25
    MamaWolf wrote: »
    Why not? I've got two songs:

I don't know how you can post any Hammerfall from Renegade that isn't the title track (or maybe the Man on the Silver Mountain cover) but I gotta admit the chorus on that one is great.

Since some of my taste in music really just doesn't translate, let me drop some John Prine on everyone:

His last, before Coronavirus got him:

A new favorite I came across fishing around for this post:

And one that got my attention quite some time ago:

E: Oh, there should be a Signup in there.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Please Hello!

I also come with two songs. First a tribute to Adam Schlesinger, who also died of Covid-19 early on. He co-wrote all the songs for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and That Thing You Do, but I knew him first as a member of Fountains of Wayne. This is my favorite Fountains of Wayne song, the beginning of which was my ringtone for several years:

I'm also a musical theatre nerd from way back, and have spent lockdown digging into some deep cuts from Stephen Sondheim's back catalog. I'll let this youtube commenter summarize this particular gem.
    Stephen Sondheim: "I'm going to write a song about the nuanced complexities of the Western world's imperialistic entrance into Japan, touching on diplomatic and economic topics such as extraterritoriality and detentes, using a musical style reminiscent of each foreign power in a complex polyphony, making the tone of the piece at once absurd, intimidating, comical, and sympathetic to the Japanese."

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I'll join

Lonely Island has gotten me through the pandemic. Their songs absolutely slap.

Plus they make me laugh and I need humor to offset (gestures at everything) .... all this.

JPantsBluecyan
  • premiumpremium Registered User regular
    I'm going to sign up for this without a song because most of the music in my house lately is picked by my 4 year old and I wouldn't say that listening to the Descendants 3 soundtrack on repeat for 4 hours a day has actually 'helped' get me through anything

• AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    premium wrote: »
    I'm going to sign up for this without a song because most of the music in my house lately is picked by my 4 year old and I wouldn't say that listening to the Descendants 3 soundtrack on repeat for 4 hours a day has actually 'helped' get me through anything

Got it, Queen of Mean is your jam. Say no more.

premium
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

I've got 3 girls, 10/6/2 and I, too, have had the joy of listening to various Disney soundtracks on repeat for months on end.

Descendants 1-3 has been that soundtrack at various points.

And I unironically love this song from Descendants 2

premium
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

That’s gotta be rough. The music in 2 was way better...

premiumObiFett
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited June 25
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I'll join

Lonely Island has gotten me through the pandemic. Their songs absolutely slap.

Plus they make me laugh and I need humor to offset (gestures at everything) .... all this.

The Lonely Island are truly amazing. No one else can pull of such a seamless blend of parodying a genre/song type, while also being a great, earnest example of it as well.

Hands down the best concert I've ever seen (except maybe Weird Al with the orchestra on his latest tour). They even had Michael Bolton on stage. I about shit my Pants.

JPants on
    ObiFett
    My wife and I are both irregularly working from home, so our soon to be 3 year old has been in day care.

One day last week we both happened to be working from home, my wife at the dining room table, me in the bedroom, the kid off at school.

I was click clacking away on my laptop when, through the silence, I heard my wife quietly singing

:whistle: Grown ups come back to you, grown ups come back they do, grown ups come back :whistle:

So that has been our pandemic. But I will say this for Daniel Tiger: he is single handedly responsible for potty training our son, for which I will be forever grateful.

premiumObiFettLostNinja38thDoeWildcatkime
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    I would prefer to be taken off ping lists.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

My favorite part of this song? The drummer for SOAD is a huge Trump supporter, which means irony is dead and reality is written by hacks.

If a movement doesn't have someone that can sit down opposite those in a position of power and strike a deal, how can that movement achieve success?
    Wildcat
    21 players ain't bad! Hopefully we can get another two over the weekend, but I think the game can be run with 21 players.

Game will likely start on Monday or Tuesday, depending on whether I find time to finally write an opening narration.

In the meantime, answers to my own prompt:

"Oh Lord," by Foxy Shazam

"This Year," by the Mountain Goats

Joke answer:

JPants
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I look forward to being killed on day 1, likely by the vote.

As the forums givith phalla, the forums shall also taketh away.

Wildcat
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I look forward to being killed on day 1, likely by the vote.

As the forums givith phalla, the forums shall also taketh away.

Ah, you did sign up. Given your handle that last song I posted might be relevant to your interests.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles Jack of all interests... ...master of noneRegistered User regular
    edited June 27
    I'm not really feeling it right now, so I'll Reserve, but if you have trouble getting to 23 let me know and I'll step in.

I've never seen the film, but I've been listening to this a bunch lately.
    It's as cheesy as any other Jim Steinman composition. Well, not as bad as Total Eclipse of the Heart, but that's a low bar to clear. Also written by Steinman:

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png