Options

New [movie] thread, same as the old one. New Bill and Ted, out soon!

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Remember how in Sky High there was a character named Warren Peace?

That was very good

That's because Sky High is the best superhero movie

it's definitely up there with Dark Man.

Which I think means Bruce Campbell is a necessary component in having the best superhero movie.

Dr Strange 2 will be the best MCU movie then, got it

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Remember how in Sky High there was a character named Warren Peace?

That was very good

That's because Sky High is the best superhero movie

it's definitely up there with Dark Man.

Which I think means Bruce Campbell is a necessary component in having the best superhero movie.

well, he's in Spider-Man 2, so this checks out

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    As much as I loved Jake Gyllenhaal’s version

I would have loved to see Bruce Campbell turn out to be Mysterio in Spider-Man 4

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Pet Secretariat

This Time, Seattle Slays

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure I saw Bruce Campbell in NYC once.

we locked eyes and what he saw there inspired him to shoot me a finger gun and a wink.
    I was on cocaine at the time tho, so it was either Bruce Campbell, or just a very cool guy with a chin and my brain got excited

I couldn't even take another look because he disappeared into the crowd like fucking Darkman

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Pet Secretariat

This Time, Seattle Slays

Hmm.

Neighcromancy?

I could do better...

Okay, how about Heckquine?

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2020
    I am still physically incapable of recognizing bruce campbell. I usually have extremely good facial recognition! Especially for actors!
    somehow to me his face always looks like a collection of other faces.

"Guy with a chin" is a good description though, I should probably finger-gun all of those I meet going forward to cover all bases.

tynic on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The headless horse

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2020
    I think the unfortunate thing we have to grapple with is that "necroprancer" is better than all of our efforts

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I am still physically incapable of recognizing bruce campbell. I usually have extremely good facial recognition! Especially for actors!
    somehow to me his face always looks like a collection of other faces.

"Guy with a chin" is a good description though, I should probably finger-gun all of those I meet going forward to cover all bases.

I dunno, you could finger-gun Jay Leno on accident. Nobody wants that.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    I met Bruce Campbell once.

He came to my university to give a lecture (like, the entertaining kind) and I worked with the office that arranged his visit. He actually called beforehand and I talked to him on the phone, but basically just to transfer him to my boss, and also I think I kept him on hold a long time.

And then he came and was really entertaining, though the only part I actually remember is that during the lecture some guy's phone started ringing, and Bruce Campbell ran into the audience and very excitedly answered the call from this dude's mom. He pretended to be a kidnapper and told her that if she ever wanted to see her son again she would pay his ransom.

I actually met him after the show during the autograph signing, but as I sat next to him one of my coworkers started waving at me and I got so distracted that I may have actually "sorry, what?"'d him. So I basically went 0/2 on interacting with Bruce Campbell and I'm still sad about it.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    So this is an odd issue. Disney+ on the Xbox One X has an odd cadence to its judder with Dolby Vision content. I tried Avengers and Finding Dory, and they both have this off-timed judder. It's not "natural," like the 24 frame stutter that you expect with content like that. It's only that app, and only on XOX. The LG app itself is flawless. Prime Video and Netflix are also flawless. Strange. It's not a big deal, it just means that the few times I watch D+ will be through the app and not my "media center" XOX.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    I watched the way god intended. Muted through the first 30 seconds.

One of the better fell-ass-backward-into-the-best-possible-outcome moments I've had was being three minutes late to the theater for Dark City.

Last pint: Ridgeback Red / Block 15 - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    kaceyp wrote: »
    I met Bruce Campbell once.

He came to my university to give a lecture (like, the entertaining kind) and I worked with the office that arranged his visit. He actually called beforehand and I talked to him on the phone, but basically just to transfer him to my boss, and also I think I kept him on hold a long time.

And then he came and was really entertaining, though the only part I actually remember is that during the lecture some guy's phone started ringing, and Bruce Campbell ran into the audience and very excitedly answered the call from this dude's mom. He pretended to be a kidnapper and told her that if she ever wanted to see her son again she would pay his ransom.

I actually met him after the show during the autograph signing, but as I sat next to him one of my coworkers started waving at me and I got so distracted that I may have actually "sorry, what?"'d him. So I basically went 0/2 on interacting with Bruce Campbell and I'm still sad about it.

Should have asked him if he knew a coked up dude called @Depressperado

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Bruce Campbell is indeed the best superhero, and to anyone who disagrees with me I simply say

"Go watch Evil Dead 3: Army of Darkness. Twice."

• Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    people talking about how good dark city is, sign me up! I thought it was a nice touch in the directors cut to have Jennifer Connelly's vocals for the singing, though I enjoy the original as well.

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    You know

I never have seen evil dead 2

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    You know

I never have seen evil dead 2

It's the best one!

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    I've seen none of the trilogy

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    I love army of darkness.

I think I played a good bit of that pc game that featured Sam Raimi as the voice of a short deadite sidekick?

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I walked into the first X-Men late and I def think the movie works better without the superfluous kiss scene and with Rogue being on the run from the beginning

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Tenet has been delayed to August 12, if they want to delay it by 2 weeks once a week for the next few months that's fine with me

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    seems fine

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    today I rewatched Ponyo

are you having a rough day? give Ponyo a whirl, it's got what's good for what ails you: a fish who loves ham and a messy stressed ocean wizard who loves to play dress-up

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    i haven't seen ponyo since the theater, but i remember thinking it had no antagonist/conflict. so i found it oddly unsettling.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    sometimes Ghibli movies have no villain and that is cool

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    'Stressed ocean wizard' is my career goal.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The villain in Ponyo is that growing up is tough and sometimes life is hard.

What a great film.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    God I love Ponyo's pure delight for ham. I will fight on its side against the internet's memetic infatuation for bacon.

"Haaaammuuuuu~!!!"

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    By my count, 9 Ghibli movies have a villainous force or specific person, while 10 don't, and 2 I have no idea about (Pom Poko and My Neighbors the Yamadas). Would you guys count "the upcoming conflict" as a villain in The Wind Rises?

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Ponyo is a movie I hated so much it kept me away from other Ghibli films for a long while

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Kiki's Delivery Service has the two most terrifying villains of all: snobby rich girls and depression

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    Kiki's Delivery Service has the two most terrifying villains of all: snobby rich girls and depression

I see you and raise you Tangled's emotionally abusive parent.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Boy oh boyo, just re-watched Frost/Nixon

It's as broad and ham-fisted and male-centric as any Ron Howard flick

But DANG does a portrayal of a narcissist sociopath president getting some semblance of comeuppance hit a little different on this particular day

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Amy had never seen Hackers, so I cued it up on the satellite tv and we watched it just now.
    She (rightly) was disappointed. Even when it got to the best part (the spinning phone booths), I couldn't convince her that it was actually a cinematic masterpiece instead of bad 90s cheese.

• Options
    Atari SoulAtari Soul Registered User regular
    Boy oh boyo, just re-watched Frost/Nixon

It's as broad and ham-fisted and male-centric as any Ron Howard flick

But DANG does a portrayal of a narcissist sociopath president getting some semblance of comeuppance hit a little different on this particular day

Is it worth watching if you haven't seen it? Or will it just make me more depressed that we haven't even had our smidgen of comeuppance for the current regime?

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Whisper of the Heart is maybe my favorite of the Ghibli films with no villain

It is just a sweet, low stakes, love story following two kids growing up.

That's it!

It is just charming as fuck!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    My eyes tear up basically every time I watch one of the two big ocean sequences with the excellent Wagner-esque score. They're beautifully animated. My reaction may or may not be because I watch them with my young son who sits there rapt, watching a narrative movie and not some junky YouTube stuff

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I present my Vinegar Syndrome haul.
    vw1ho71vx22r.jpg

I watched The Candy Snatchers last night and its a real fun and mean 70s exploitation crime caper, with a phenomenal performance from the director's 5 year old in a challenging role. Christmas Evil was the only one I'd seen before and it is more a dark character study than a Silent Night, Deadly Night style slasher (starring Fiona Apple's dad!). Tonight will be a Spookies/The Suckling as a good-bad creature feature.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
This discussion has been closed.