Options

New [movie] thread, same as the old one. New Bill and Ted, out soon!

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Was this Lynch Dune costuming choice in the final movie cut and if so, how the HELL did I forget about it

I certainly do not recall any titty windows in that movie

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Was this Lynch Dune costuming choice in the final movie cut and if so, how the HELL did I forget about it

I certainly do not recall any titty windows in that movie
    the boxes of dang

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    all I'll say is that if you don't love skeletons you'd better learn to or you're not gonna enjoy the coming Bone Conflicts

I'm fine with skeletons, I just can't keep straight whether worms or bones are their money (dollars)

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Those things roll up like a window on a tent. You even have the built in mosquito netting underneath!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    you've worn a tentsuit before?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    Didn't it kinda come out that Depp was mostly a victim rather than a perpetrator of domestic violence? I mean, he's still mostly just an entitled pile of hats and scarves surrounded by yes men feeding him drugs, but I think the whole Amber Heard situation was kinda absolved.

they were both awful to each other and depp is an abusive shit to everybody around him

That’s the response I see every time this gets brought up but I never see a citation. I do t know what to do here. I believe firmly in supporting victims of spousal assault and I’m open to the idea that they were both very toxic to each other but from my perspective what seems to happen is someone will point to new information that came out and everybody will dismiss it and insist that Depp is still the(or an) asshole here without pointing to any reason.

I am extremely leery of the chance of taking either side when right now it feels reasonably likely that either was actually the victim of abuse at the others hands.

Evidence being made public of Heard abusing Depp does not mean that Depp did not abuse Heard.

Many areas of the internet which are particularly unfriendly to women (chans, reddit, twitter, imgur, facebook) immediately jumped on this as absolving Depp of wrongdoing and subsequently went on a tilt trying to destroy her career, when no, he abused her emotionally and physically for years. Yeah she called him names, laughed at him while he was sad, and I believe there's evidence she slapped him one time? That does not in any way excuse his behaviour whatsoever. Do not ever say things like "but I think the whole Amber Heard situation was kinda absolved."
    She was wrong to do what she did, as any abuser is, but the power situation in that relationship was tilted entirely in his direction.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Didn't it kinda come out that Depp was mostly a victim rather than a perpetrator of domestic violence? I mean, he's still mostly just an entitled pile of hats and scarves surrounded by yes men feeding him drugs, but I think the whole Amber Heard situation was kinda absolved.

they were both awful to each other and depp is an abusive shit to everybody around him

That’s the response I see every time this gets brought up but I never see a citation. I do t know what to do here. I believe firmly in supporting victims of spousal assault and I’m open to the idea that they were both very toxic to each other but from my perspective what seems to happen is someone will point to new information that came out and everybody will dismiss it and insist that Depp is still the(or an) asshole here without pointing to any reason.

I am extremely leery of the chance of taking either side when right now it feels reasonably likely that either was actually the victim of abuse at the others hands.

Evidence being made public of Heard abusing Depp does not mean that Depp did not abuse Heard.

Many areas of the internet which are particularly unfriendly to women (chans, reddit, twitter, imgur, facebook) immediately jumped on this as absolving Depp of wrongdoing and subsequently went on a tilt trying to destroy her career, when no, he abused her emotionally and physically for years. Yeah she called him names, laughed at him while he was sad, and I believe there's evidence she slapped him one time? That does not in any way excuse his behaviour whatsoever. Do not ever say things like "but I think the whole Amber Heard situation was kinda absolved."
    She was wrong to do what she did, as any abuser is, but the power situation in that relationship was tilted entirely in his direction.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/shocking-photo-surfaces-of-johnny-depp-on-a-hospital-stretcher-in-australia/news-story/0cf15735febc2326aa2515093af9fe58

At the very least she did more than that.

You’re right that the worst people grappled on to this as an excuse to point to a woman abusing a man as if feminists don’t care about abused men. That does not however make Depp guilty and honestly I don’t know what to do with that. I don’t know who to support or how to tell who is the abuser in this case or if it’s both of them since a known abuser tactic is to claim you yourself were being abused. Based on what I have seen it doesn’t seem as clear cut and easy to identify as many here have suggested. If I’ve missed something I would love to have it pointed out to me because I find this whole situation immensely stressful and would like to see a resolution to it.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Maybe they both did bad things and we should be "stop being awful both of you."

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Maybe they both did bad things and we should be "stop being awful both of you."

Yes. That’s the problem. From what we currently know it seems like all three options are reasonably likely and I don’t know what to do in the mean time.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

I agree. No link to Depp's side of the story will undo that for me

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I do apologize. "Absolved" was a poor choice of words. More "2 awful people, but direct evidence seems to indicate the one thought to be most awful is actually slightly less so".

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    as a longtime Eurovision fan I was extremely worried about the Netflix Eurovision movie

it is lovely, very sweet and extremely respectful of Eurovision

it would have been very easy to just make fun of Eurovision but it manages to pay homage to it while still being a great comedy in its own right

also Rachel McAdams can sing, damn

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    There's a Eurovision movie?
    I'm legit excited.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    oh hey Quibi is still a thing

https://deadline.com/2020/06/princess-bride-at-home-remake-with-joe-jonas-sophie-turner-common-tiffany-haddish-more-set-at-quibi-1202971418/
    Beginning Monday, Quibi will stream an all-star remake of The Princess Bride filmed by actors at home while in quarantine.

The re-creation, first reported by Vanity Fair, will feature an A-list cast that includes couples Joe Jonas and Sophie Turner, Common and Tiffany Haddish, Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka, and Chris Pine and Annabelle Wallis, along with Hugh Jackman, Jennifer Garner, Elijah Wood, Jon Hamm, Beanie Feldstein, Lucas Hedges, Jenna Ortega, Jack Black, David Oyelowo, Keegan-Michael Key, Patton Oswalt, Josh Gad, Andy Serkis, Diego Luna, Taika Waititi and Zazie Beetz and more.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    There's a Eurovision movie?
    I'm legit excited.

dropped on Netflix today!

• Options

https://deadline.com/2020/06/princess-bride-at-home-remake-with-joe-jonas-sophie-turner-common-tiffany-haddish-more-set-at-quibi-1202971418/
    Beginning Monday, Quibi will stream an all-star remake of The Princess Bride filmed by actors at home while in quarantine.

The re-creation, first reported by Vanity Fair, will feature an A-list cast that includes couples Joe Jonas and Sophie Turner, Common and Tiffany Haddish, Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka, and Chris Pine and Annabelle Wallis, along with Hugh Jackman, Jennifer Garner, Elijah Wood, Jon Hamm, Beanie Feldstein, Lucas Hedges, Jenna Ortega, Jack Black, David Oyelowo, Keegan-Michael Key, Patton Oswalt, Josh Gad, Andy Serkis, Diego Luna, Taika Waititi and Zazie Beetz and more.

ok so at first I was like, what, why, none of this makes sense but that cast is absolutely stacked
    couldn't they find some original material to let them loose on?

and then I realised, they probably just all love the movie and maybe this is more of a fan project that happens to have famous people and it's kind of sweet

... and then I remembered that this is a Quibi thing and got cynical again. What is 2020 even about.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Okay so Patton Oswalt as Vizzini, obviously. And I strongly suspect they're going to go with Joe and Sophie as Westley and Buttercup. But who plays what else? NPH is desperately going to want to be Inigo Montoya, but does he get it?

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular

ok so at first I was like, what, why, none of this makes sense but that cast is absolutely stacked
    couldn't they find some original material to let them loose on?

and then I realised, they probably just all love the movie and maybe this is more of a fan project that happens to have famous people and it's kind of sweet

... and then I remembered that this is a Quibi thing and got cynical again. What is 2020 even about.

I'm not sure there is a specific theme so far but there is a generalised calamitous anxiety vibe that I feel has been very consistent and well executed

• Options

Okay so Patton Oswalt as Vizzini, obviously. And I strongly suspect they're going to go with Joe and Sophie as Westley and Buttercup. But who plays what else? NPH is desperately going to want to be Inigo Montoya, but does he get it?

Diego Luna is Montoya, that's not even a question.
    NPH would be a decent six-fingered-man.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    joe jonas is not charismatic, smarmy, or handsome enough to be wesley

• Options
    why is a jonas brother

... that's it, that's the post

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I hope this remake gets into all the political satire included in Morgenstern's original novel

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    A Jonas brother is because the Jonas Prime became heavy with fruit and they dropped off him

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I hope this remake gets into all the political satire included in Morgenstern's original novel

oh yeah good point. It's low production budget, so really no excuse not to do it complete and unabridged.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    why is a jonas brother

A miserable little pile of secrets

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    why is a jonas brother

A miserable little pile of secrets

(I thought about this one. I shouldn't have hesitated.)

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular

Diego Luna is literally my fan-casting remake pick for Inigo, and has been for a while.

[*Giancarlo Esposito would be my six-fingered man].

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

oh yeah good point. It's low production budget, so really no excuse not to do it complete and unabridged.

Hat-packing scene or I walk

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Fishman wrote: »

Diego Luna is literally my fan-casting remake pick for Inigo, and has been for a while.

[*Giancarlo Esposito would be my six-fingered man].

oooh that'd be good. Or he could also do Vizzini, have an actual Italian in the role.
    NPH would also be a decent Humperdinck, but I was assuming Hugh Jackson would take that one.

tynic on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Put my prediction down as NPH for Miracle Max.

[*Ed Skrein would be my Humperdink]
    [* and honestly, I'd just get Billy Crystal again, but with less makeup]

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular

Sophie turner is wesly, Jonas is buttercup

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    Well now I have an idea in my head about a remake with Michael B Jordan as Wesley and I can't stop thinking about it.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »

Sophie turner is wesly, Jonas is buttercup

turner is less those things except pretty than he is!

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    I've been going through Scorsese's filmography and I just finished The Color of Money.

I'm really surprised the sequel to a movie as heavy as The Hustler, and directed by Scorsese no less, could turn out to be so cookie-cutter.

• Options
    I never want movie posters, but I want this as a poster

... oh shit you can buy it

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I love the poster for the movie FUTURE-KILL

it's not a good movie, but they somehow convinced HR Giger to do a poster for them, and so:

MV5BMmM1MDU4ZWEtMjMzNS00ZmRjLWExNmMtZDdiMzFiMTJlYWFlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,659,1000_AL_.jpg

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    so apparently the Princess Bride thing has different people doing different scenes from the movie

kind of like that Sailor Moon re-animated thing that some people did a while ago?

• Options
    oh cool they actually did swap the gender roles

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I never want movie posters, but I want this as a poster

... oh shit you can buy it

Holy Fuck

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Without seeing the bottom of that image, I thought it’d be a poster for The Fly

This discussion has been closed.