Options

New [movie] thread, same as the old one. New Bill and Ted, out soon!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    That's a seriously gorgeous piece of art.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    This Princess Bride thing feels like a way better version of the Gal Gadot "Imagine" thing

It's still a bunch of celebrities getting together to try and do something in this time of crises, but instead of being condescending it's still them doing their normal thing, just from home

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    yeah it's just fun
    I love that it's "props from my kitchen" budget and I love that they're all taking it extremely seriously. Also Diego Luna could have just stepped right out of a proper movie version, he's seamless.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I mean, it's sometimes nice to be reminded that movie actors are total movie nerds.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2020
    unfortunately it's a) on quibi, and b) I hate Josh Gad

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    unfortunately it's a) on quibi, and b) I hate Josh Gad

Since the actors are only in it for a scene, Josh Gad isn't in it for very long.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Rob Reiner So Good.

And while I'd love to cast an actual Italian for Vizzini, his definig character traits is that of a bitter, cynical genius whose physical deficiencies prevent him from the lofty heights he aspires too.
    If there's a more tailor made role for Peter Dinklage in existence it's... well, the one he won 4 Emmys for, I guess.

And put Diego Luna in more things.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Amy had never seen Hackers, so I cued it up on the satellite tv and we watched it just now.
    She (rightly) was disappointed. Even when it got to the best part (the spinning phone booths), I couldn't convince her that it was actually a cinematic masterpiece instead of bad 90s cheese.

It's so good.

The inexplicably long skateboard ride to grab the disc makes me laugh every time.

I also use the line, "I hid it in that place I put that thing one time" as often as possible.
    smh if you don't use "ugh, hard copy" at least once a week.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Amy had never seen Hackers, so I cued it up on the satellite tv and we watched it just now.
    She (rightly) was disappointed. Even when it got to the best part (the spinning phone booths), I couldn't convince her that it was actually a cinematic masterpiece instead of bad 90s cheese.

It's so good.

The inexplicably long skateboard ride to grab the disc makes me laugh every time.

I also use the line, "I hid it in that place I put that thing one time" as often as possible.
    smh if you don't use "ugh, hard copy" at least once a week.

I did that for years and completely forgot it was a Hackers reference until I rewatched it when How Did This Get Made did an episode about it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/pCTodw4Os8w

Him throwing the skateboard down after kicking it up into his hand makes this one of the greatest movies of all time by itself

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I was delighted that The Plague owns and uses the same insane VR rig that show up in the Sinbad classic, "First Kid"

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/pCTodw4Os8w

Him throwing the skateboard down after kicking it up into his hand makes this one of the greatest movies of all time by itself

Holy shit

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    We talking Hackers? I can talk Hackers all day long. I’ve seen it at least 20 times

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    RISC architecture is going to change everything.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I can't decide if that is more or less ill-advised than Bombshell

I do think he's gonna have a hard time getting reliable info

• Options
    TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    Wait for the inevitable Jia Zhang-ke film about COVID, because you know it's going to be excellent, piss off the Chinese government, and probably have a spaceship in it or something weird.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

You'll have your answer when they cast Anne Hatheway as the lead.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

More, because people will actually watch a pandemic film.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    apparently the new mel gibson and emille hirsch (hoo boy this is already a lot) cop disaster movie is as unbelievably racist and unfortunate as it could be

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I just watched Society again. That movie is still so goddamn great

e:
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    apparently the new mel gibson and emille hirsch (hoo boy this is already a lot) cop disaster movie is as unbelievably racist and unfortunate as it could be
    had to look up what's wrong with Emile Hirsch and uhhhh wtf

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

what a surprise

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
  • Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    I watched Child's Play (2019) tonight and it was...okay? I like some of the choices they made but the whole initial setup is just...just so dumb.
    Literally just a "violence inhibitor" switch and shit in its programming that can be turned on and off. Like it's actually that one Simpsons Halloween story with the evil Krusty doll and the end it turns out there's a switch that can be flipped to Good or Evil.

I did honestly think though that the AI thing was a little more interesting than just "serial killer putting on an act" though. There was kind of a sad and often more creepy vibe watching this AI seem to genuinely be trying to learn and understand what Andy wanted.

I also dug the group of kids coming together, even if they temporarily split again at one point.
    Also, who the hell designed that doll, because I suspect the Buddi Marketing team would have some thoughts about this tiny Michael Shannon-looking thing running around trying to befriend children.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    This Eurovision movie needs more jokes or a shorter runtime, and either more or less emotion

• Options
    Oh dang, this flick was a 6 of 10 but this climax song bangs

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    It is a watchable comedy saved entirely by the songs and Rachel McAdams and Dan Stevens' performances

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I'm watching right now and I really feel like having someone other that Will Ferrell in this role would be a significant improvement

Edit: My current shortlist is Seann William Scott and Charlie Day

Straightzi on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Also I want a lot of Dan Stevens' clothes, but what else is new

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The only Ferrell performance I like is in stranger than fiction.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    he's pretty good in Everything Must Go, as well, though I don't think the movie is overall very strong

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Finally watched Hackers tonight. For the first time.

Yeah, I should have done that sooner.

• Options
    Train to Busan oowwwwwwns

• Options
    Has anybody watched that animated prequel to Train of Busan? Is it any good?

• Options

I should watch that

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

It is amazing to me that they made a zombie movie with fairly bog standard character arcs and I was absolutely enthralled by it

It’s a stone cold bummer but man what a ride

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    Has anybody watched that animated prequel to Train of Busan? Is it any good?

Not as good as the film, but yes. Certainly worth a watch.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Olivaw wrote: »

It is amazing to me that they made a zombie movie with fairly bog standard character arcs and I was absolutely enthralled by it

It’s a stone cold bummer but man what a ride

It had everything I want out of a zombie flick

Class commentary that starts out subtle and then becomes a sledgehammer

Some wrinkles on the Rules of Zombies that surprise me

Some noble deaths for the Greater Good

It didn't reinvent the wheel, but it didn't try to. It was just a good-ass zombie flick

Edit: Oh and the "heaps of zombies" CG was impeccable

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    Also, Ma Dong-seok owns.

After watching Train to Busan I thought I would track down as many of his movies as possible and watch them. Until I saw just how many movies he's been in. So far though, watching a movie because he's in it has never been a bad choice.

This discussion has been closed.