As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New [movie] thread, same as the old one. New Bill and Ted, out soon!

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Margot Robbie is starring in a Pirates of the Caribbean soft reboot (same world, different characters), written by Christina Hodson (Birds of Prey, Bumblebee).

Reboots and endless franchises are...draining but

Fuck, I wanna watch that

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Birds of Prey and Bumblebee were both great! I like this!

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I'd fuckin watch a Pirates film with Margot Robbie as the presumably Jack Sparrow analogue, sure.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    After Birds of Prey I'm pretty much all-in on anything Margot Robbie wants to do, she's killing it.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    She better fucking not be playing Jane Sparrow

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    ideally there would be no reference to the jack sparrow character anywhere in the film at all

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    In the final scene, Robbie's character removes their face and reveals that they were Johnny Depp all along.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Amy had never seen Hackers, so I cued it up on the satellite tv and we watched it just now.
    She (rightly) was disappointed. Even when it got to the best part (the spinning phone booths), I couldn't convince her that it was actually a cinematic masterpiece instead of bad 90s cheese.

It's so good.

The inexplicably long skateboard ride to grab the disc makes me laugh every time.

I also use the line, "I hid it in that place I put that thing one time" as often as possible.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    There's no reason they have to have Jack Sparrow ever pop up again

I don't even think there's like, popular demand anymore, is there

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Zxerol wrote: »
    I'd fuckin watch a Pirates film with Margot Robbie as the presumably Jack Sparrow analogue, sure.

She's starring in it, so I would sure hope that she's not the Jack Sparrow analogue

Straightzi on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Pirates are still cool

The problem with PotC aside from the weird racist stuff was mistaking Jack Sparrow for the main character.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    There's probably still plenty of support for having Jack Sparrow show up in a movie that's actually good, they just haven't tried that in a while.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    BlankZoe wrote: »
    Margot Robbie is starring in a Pirates of the Caribbean soft reboot (same world, different characters), written by Christina Hodson (Birds of Prey, Bumblebee).
    While plot details are being kept in Davey Jones’ locker, the project, in early development, is not intended to be a spinoff of the long-running franchise that had pirate Jack Sparrow at its center but rather a wholly original story with new characters under the Pirates moniker, itself inspired by the long-running attraction at Disneyland.

The new project is said to be separate from the already announced reboot of the popular franchise that has Pirates scribe Ted Elliott and Chernobyl creator Craig Mazin developing the story.

I'm so fucking happy right now

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I would rather not see Johnny Depp in movies again, but you're probably not wrong

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Didn't it kinda come out that Depp was mostly a victim rather than a perpetrator of domestic violence? I mean, he's still mostly just an entitled pile of hats and scarves surrounded by yes men feeding him drugs, but I think the whole Amber Heard situation was kinda absolved.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    Didn't it kinda come out that Depp was mostly a victim rather than a perpetrator of domestic violence? I mean, he's still mostly just an entitled pile of hats and scarves surrounded by yes men feeding him drugs, but I think the whole Amber Heard situation was kinda absolved.

they were both awful to each other and depp is an abusive shit to everybody around him

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Have Jack Sparrow pop up as a fuckin skeleton not a fun alive one either a regular one with mold on

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    speaking of skeletons, I recently re-watched all the Sam Raimi spider-mans, and I don't think we talk enough about how green goblin literally kills like five guys with a skeleton bomb

• Options
    I find Toby Maguire to be a very difficult screen presence so I struggle with the Raimi spidermens but I do like that nasty flavour he gets in there such as skeleton bomb

• Options
    I generally liked Tobey Maguire like twenty years ago, when these movies came out, but upon re-watch I found him to be more like some kind of animated putty-covered bird-being than a human actor

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    astrobstrd wrote: »

they were both awful to each other and depp is an abusive shit to everybody around him

That’s the response I see every time this gets brought up but I never see a citation. I do t know what to do here. I believe firmly in supporting victims of spousal assault and I’m open to the idea that they were both very toxic to each other but from my perspective what seems to happen is someone will point to new information that came out and everybody will dismiss it and insist that Depp is still the(or an) asshole here without pointing to any reason.

I am extremely leery of the chance of taking either side when right now it feels reasonably likely that either was actually the victim of abuse at the others hands.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    speaking of skeletons, I recently re-watched all the Sam Raimi spider-mans, and I don't think we talk enough about how green goblin literally kills like five guys with a skeleton bomb

That was the weirdest decision in a movie of weird decisions. It felt like such a scriptwriting hand-wave.

"Okay, so the first thing he does is murder those board members that kicked him out. He throws those little bombs, right? So he kills them with bombs."
    "But if he just bombs the place, how do we show they're dead? In movies bombs just kinda throw you a few feet in the air. We can't show them all blown to pieces, it's PG-13. And they're on the balcony, if he blows up the balcony how do we kill those five guys but let Spider-man save MJ?"
    "I dunno, it's a magic science-bomb, okay? Just make sure we know they're dead."
    "Okay, what if it... turns them into skeletons?"
    "Great. But just those five guys."

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Then in the second movie, a room full of scientists is brutally knife murdered by Doc's Ock arms. It's pretty OTT.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    at least that was internally consistent. Goblin never uses that magic skele-bomb again! It probably would've easily murdered Spider-man!

• Options
    I dunno Spiderman is pretty tough maybe it would have just turned his head into a skeleton

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    at least that was internally consistent. Goblin never uses that magic skele-bomb again! It probably would've easily murdered Spider-man!

Both Goblins preferred the "detonate most of Spider-Man's mask so we can have dramatic close ups" pumpkin bomb variant.

• Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I dunno Spiderman is pretty tough maybe it would have just turned his head into a skeleton

Good point, he'd better set spider-man's head on fire afterwards to be sure

• Options
    Yeah then he gets on a motorcycle so he can get to the hospital as fast as he can before he dies and turns into a ghost

• Options
    and on the way there he might as well punish the wicked or something

• Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    fun fact that most people don't know. tobey maguire and nick cage are the same person. face off was originally gonna be about the process nick goes through in removing the tobey prosthetic face bits

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    spiders don't have skeletons they have exoskeletons so he would've been fine

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I would love to get a chance to peek in on the alternate reality where Depp wasn't possibly an abusive fuck and was working alongside Robbie in a PotC movie. Those two would play off each other so, so well.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    I would love to get a chance to peek in on the alternate reality where Depp wasn't possibly an abusive fuck and was working alongside Robbie in a PotC movie. Those two would play off each other so, so well.

I'm not gonna lie and say a lot of his early work wasn't formative for me, but the persona he has cultivated at this point(even ignoring the abusiveness) is fucking exhausting

he desperately wants you to know he is johnny depp

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »

That was the weirdest decision in a movie of weird decisions. It felt like such a scriptwriting hand-wave.

"Okay, so the first thing he does is murder those board members that kicked him out. He throws those little bombs, right? So he kills them with bombs."
    "But if he just bombs the place, how do we show they're dead? In movies bombs just kinda throw you a few feet in the air. We can't show them all blown to pieces, it's PG-13. And they're on the balcony, if he blows up the balcony how do we kill those five guys but let Spider-man save MJ?"
    "I dunno, it's a magic science-bomb, okay? Just make sure we know they're dead."
    "Okay, what if it... turns them into skeletons?"
    "Great. But just those five guys."

I'd maybe believe that if it was another director.

But not Sam Raimi.

Sam Raimi out of the gate wants skeletons.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    yeah no he absolutely decided at some point that the green goblin should have a skeleton bomb, 100%

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    A weapon that disintegrates the rest of you leaving a skeleton was a common B-movie Sci-fi trait and I 100% believe that’s why Raimi did skeletons.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Was this Lynch Dune costuming choice in the final movie cut and if so, how the HELL did I forget about it

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Folks, in 1999 Sam Raimi executive producers an episode of Xena: Warrior Princess titled Them Bones, Them Bones.

It features a fight scene in which the villain inhabits a skeleton to fight Xena.

Xena then reveals that the fight is actually in a dreamscape and then tears off her skin to reveal her own skeleton.

tumblr_pldqo6Jmkj1wzvt9qo3_500.gifv
    And then two skeletons have a kung-fu fight.

Sam Raimi: dedicated skeleton fan.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Was this Lynch Dune costuming choice in the final movie cut and if so, how the HELL did I forget about it

I don't think it was. Or at least not with those flaps rolled up like that.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    all I'll say is that if you don't love skeletons you'd better learn to or you're not gonna enjoy the coming Bone Conflicts

Shorty on
This discussion has been closed.