As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New [movie] thread, same as the old one. New Bill and Ted, out soon!

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I dunno, a three hour long pan out on a dead woman in a harshly lit desert doesn't sound that bad

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Gimme Dennis Dugan's Dune

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Denis Villeneuve is just about the only director I'd trust to have even a chance in hell of making a well-realized Dune film.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Gimme Dennis Dugan's Dune

you go to hell! you go to hell and you think about what you've done!

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    All my hopes of us getting 2 Villeneuve Dune films are in the wash between a) BR2049 underperforming immediately after pulling the exact same "we want to do a second film if this makes money" card before release and b) obviously the whole corona situation which is going to kneecap it regardless because there's some people (not me but I def know some people) who straight up won't see a film for years over this, let alone this December. So yeah, I just want the one Villeneuve Dune film we're likely to get, and I wouldn't mind that being the end of attempted Dune films because the franchise seems cursed at this point

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I don't know what you'd follow BR2049 up with
    There isn't a movie after that, in my mind

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    I love Drive, but Winding-Refn seems like a chump for the most part

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    All my hopes of us getting 2 Villeneuve Dune films are in the wash between a) BR2049 underperforming immediately after pulling the exact same "we want to do a second film if this makes money" card before release and b) obviously the whole corona situation which is going to kneecap it regardless because there's some people (not me but I def know some people) who straight up won't see a film for years over this, let alone this December. So yeah, I just want the one Villeneuve Dune film we're likely to get, and I wouldn't mind that being the end of attempted Dune films because the franchise seems cursed at this point

The whole thing about the second part being dependent on the first one being profitable wasn't part of the more recent PR material, so I built myself a little nest of hope out of that. Either way I'm there on day one

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

the syfy mini-series did really well for the channel and are pretty well-regarded

it's just really hard to make a movie that tells the story the way it needs to be told, there is a lot going on

• Options
    also, the best thing about only god forgives is william friedkin absolutely fucking obliterating refn in an interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jPWGEoyJHY

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

I literally just finished a romance novel with this plot

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

I don't disagree, but Villeneuve, Fancher and Scott said they had more in mind, and Ford said if the script was right he'd be fine coming back

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    also, the best thing about only god forgives is william friedkin absolutely fucking obliterating refn in an interview

So what I get from this is that Refn is an auteur in the basest sense of the word and Friedkin is too old and too ornery to take any shit off of anyone.

That sound about right?

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options

the syfy mini-series did really well for the channel and are pretty well-regarded

it's just really hard to make a movie that tells the story the way it needs to be told, there is a lot going on

I like the syfy miniseries, the writing and acting are pretty good but it really would have benefited from less greenscreen and better costume/set design

incidentally, two things the Lynch movie really nailed

• Options

So what I get from this is that Refn is an auteur in the basest sense of the word and Friedkin is too old and too ornery to take any shit off of anyone.

That sound about right?

friedkin is also a self-absorbed asshole, but in this instance game knows game and he called him on it

"Who gives a shit?" has never been more powerful

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    I love Drive, but Winding-Refn seems like a chump for the most part

Yeah Drive and Hotline Miami have a lot in common in my mind, including that both made me expect more of their creators than they seemed capable of doing

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA THIS IS DUUUUUMB

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

BR2050 would be next

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    YaYa wrote: »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA THIS IS DUUUUUMB

have people just...never heard that conflicts of interest are a thing?

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
  • Options
    That's some fuckin petty tyrant shit

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    BlankZoe wrote: »

Isn't this a violation of the ADA, on to of being really stupid?

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Like aside from the obvious power trip bullshit

Folks need chairs! People have medical conditions!

What the fuck!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    he also doesn't allow cellphones

what a fucking asshole

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    chrisopher nolan is the worst boss you ever had at a retail job

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    Christopher Nolan cracks me up. He's such a self-serious elitist, but he's also a fucking dork, who makes dorky blockbusters.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

If you've got time to LEAN, you've got time to CLEAN

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »

If you've got time to LEAN, you've got time to CLEAN

I was literally gonna make this same post

He's the most overpaid Walmart middle manager of all time

• Options
    Also I guaranfuckingtee that grips built a secret sitting lounge in the back of a cube truck and people just took turns fucking off to go hang out with the grips.

You think Nolan's gonna ever gonna deign to go talk to the grips? Fuck nah. And ain't anybody ratting when the rule's that stupid.

It's ineffective hassle that makes him look a colossal asshole and accomplishes absolutely nothing else.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Also as someone who's been a fan of lots of Christopher Nolan movies

I don't think he's enough of an unimpeachable auteur to be such a piece of shit

I mean I don't think that kind of dynamic should exist for anyone, but even if it was a valid reason to be an asshole, I don't think he's got it

Etchwarts on
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Chris, into the locker now.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Gustav wrote: »
    Chris, into the locker now.

Wedgie first

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    BlankZoe wrote: »

oh so he was a restaurant manager?

• Options
    B. Rosenberger Rosenberg (yes, that’s the name), a frustrated film critic and academic, facing down the back half of his lackluster career, stumbles upon a man who may have created just the thing to secure B.’s place in academic history: a film that is three months long. B. agrees to the man’s terms—he will watch the entire thing, start to finish (pausing only to eat and sleep), and then at the end of that time, he will destroy the man’s movie—in hopes that the exclusive knowledge will leapfrog him to a place of professorial and popular success.

Is this:
    a: A cut storyline from Infinite Jest.
    b: The premise of Charlie Kaufman's new novel.
    c: A parody of what "a Charlie Kaufman novel" might be.
    d: Yeah.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    That feels so much like A that I don't know how to process the rest of the options

• Options
    I am deeply entertained by the notion that charlie kaufman's work is indistinguishable from either DFW cut content or indeed parodies of charlie kaufman's work

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Oh wait is Kung Fu Hustle the best movie?

• Options
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Oh wait is Kung Fu Hustle the best movie?

close, but commando exists

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2020
    B. Rosenberger Rosenberg (yes, that’s the name), a frustrated film critic and academic, facing down the back half of his lackluster career, stumbles upon a man who may have created just the thing to secure B.’s place in academic history: a film that is three months long. B. agrees to the man’s terms—he will watch the entire thing, start to finish (pausing only to eat and sleep), and then at the end of that time, he will destroy the man’s movie—in hopes that the exclusive knowledge will leapfrog him to a place of professorial and popular success.

Is this:
    a: A cut storyline from Infinite Jest.
    b: The premise of Charlie Kaufman's new novel.
    c: A parody of what "a Charlie Kaufman novel" might be.
    d: Yeah.

Whatever it was originally, in the movie B. Rosenberger Rosenberg will be played by Jason Schwartzmann.

edit: also I would go with A or D, it lacks a certain Kaufman je ne sais quois

tynic on
  • Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular

This movie may have started the trope that if a SPAS shotgun shows up in a movie, the movie will not end until at least one character is killed onscreen with it.

This is an interesting observation because I can only think of 2 movies that I've seen that have very notable on-screen uses of the SPAS: Snatch and Jurassic Park, and no one is killed onscreen by it in either film.

I guess thinking about it, there's The Matrix but that's borderline IMO because it's not exactly highlighted or featured, it's just used by the mooks and very briefly by Trinity.

Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
This discussion has been closed.